Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonita Papers

Quote Originally Posted by mBm View Post
    kk, did you mean to say "he's now retired"? I thought I had remembered seeing something about Dr. Meyer having retired. I was looking up something about Dr. Doberson (?) and learned he was the coroner of Arapahoe County. I ran a search again and found some confusing information. I'm going to post links to both articles and a small item from each. Maybe after reading them, you can determine exactly what's what.

"John Meyer, M.D. is board certified in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology and the subspecialty of Forensic Pathology. He served as Boulder County Coroner from 1986 to 2002 and currently is Chief Pathologist for the Boulder County Coroner's Office."

"John Meyer, who has been performing autopsies for Boulder County death investigations since 1982, has announced plans to retire, leaving the county in the tough position of finding a new forensic pathologist.

"Forensic pathologists -- doctors specialized in determining the manner and cause of death, particularly in cases of homicides, suicides, and sudden or suspicious deaths -- are in short supply, and the competition among cities and counties to attract one can be fierce.

"Now, Boulder County does not pay for a full-time forensic pathologist. Meyer, who works for Boulder Community Hospital, performs autopsies for the county on a per-case basis.

"Meyer was the Boulder County coroner from 1987 to 2002 and worked on such high-profile cases as the JonBenet Ramsey murder.

"The county commissioners will make a decision about funding the new position Nov. 5. Concerned that there isn't enough work in Boulder County to justify a full-time position, the commissioners also said they'd like to look into the possibility of sharing a full-time pathologist with other nearby counties."

I couldn't determine who, if anyone, has replaced him. But as you can see, the articles say he retired as County Coroner in 2002. And one says he is now Chief Pathologist for the Boulder County Coroner's Office, while the second article implies that he has been the County's Forensic Pathologist since then. I wonder if perhaps they abolished the full-time position of coroner and after 2002, he served as Chief Patrologist or just as a Forensics Pathologist on a part-time basis. I wouldn't be surprised if they could have allowed him to retire and draw his pension, but gave him another job which would make him draw two salaries from the County. (I've known for things like this to be done. Just depends on your politics!) But then they could have abolished his job and downgraded him, keeping him on a part-time basis.
    Yes, I did mean "NOW" retired. Thanks for catching my typo. It was late, eyes don't see like they used to, plus as you know, it's so hard to proof read your own stuff.

Thanks for the info. I imagine they pay Dr. Meyers on a case by case basis, if he's needed. In Boulder County, that is probably more than it used to be, so having him as a standby is a good idea, I guess. I just think the man was overcome with the new technology and procedures, like a lot of aged professionals in the fields of forensic science and LE. He botched the fingernail collection at JB's autopsy, we know that. I personally think that may be the source of the unidentified DNA, as he of course undressed the body and handled the underwear, which his report indicates. But that's another argument. lol

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"
    FF: WRKJB?

~~~~~~~
    Bloomies underwear model:
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~
    My opinions, nothing more.

kk, what an interesting, insightful post! I never really gave much thought to Van Derbur's claim, so I'm glad you told her story. It's hard to believe that her mother must have known what was going on and allowed it to continue.

But one thing I do wonder about is the following: "Van Derbur learned at her father's funeral and shortly after that he had molested far more than his own daughters in his long life when other victims came forward to her. As much as she knew of his vile nature and his power to conceal his awful crimes, she never imagined until he died that he had other victims, even until he died, she realized." Since her father was a powerful figure and he had extended his molestations to include other victims, I have to wonder if there might indeed have been (and perhaps is still?) pedo rings operating in Colorado. Steven Singular certainly seems to think so. And if participation is widespread among the wealthy, politically connected, who knows but that it could have included the Ramseys? Reminds me, too, of the weirdo who Fr. Rol allowed to live on the church premises. I hate to go there, though...

Anyway, it makes me want to buy the book. Thanks for bringing up the subject.

Van Derbur says that the other victims were children from her neighborhood some of whom she actually knew, I'm thinking, though it's been a while since I read the book.

It is a fascinating book, but be prepared to sob, as it's heartbreaking. Van Derbur has a website where you can order the book, or she used to. She also includes stats and info on sexual abuse, etc., in the book.

Singular has yet to prove any of his theories about child sex rings that I have seen. While I have no doubt that children are systematically abused in horrible ways by their parents and others sometimes, I don't believe a word of what Nancy Krebs said because she lied so much, how can I? Whether it was because she was a heavy drug user, a fabulist, or simply wanted to cash in on this murder like so many others, I don't know, but nothing she said made sense, was logical, or could be proven.

While I do ponder if Patsy was a sexual abuse victim herself, I really see no evidence either she or John would have let JonBenet be used for sexual abuse by others in a child sex ring. I also can't believe Patsy wouldn't have noticed her child missing for long periods of time and coming back traumatized. Those kids of injuries also bleed. Which is actually what I think finally tipped Patsy off as to what was happening to JonBenet, but I don't think it was outside the inner circle, or Patsy would never have kept quiet about it, IMO.

Of course, I'm only speculating, as well. Truthfully, there is no theory in this case that isn't out and out unbelievable, because what was done to this child, and subsequently to this case, is so crazy that 14 years later we're all still chasing our tails.

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Learnin View Post
    Great post! There are two things people should realize about these molestation cases.

1. It is extremely hard for the victim to "rat" on the perpetrator. First of all, there is the embarassment of having to come forth with such information. The victim feels as if they will always be looked down on for having been part of such a humiliating relationship.

2. The person, who is capable of doing such a perverted act, is capable of doing almost anything to cover it up including murder. The person, in a perverted way, becomes angry at the victim when he or she perceives the victim is talking or ready to talk.
    Van Derbur discusses this in her book. People think it's so black and white, but it's anything but....

In fact, I doubt there is a more complicated, bigger taboo in our society. Imagine a person who values her place at the top of society fearing exposure in such a scandal.

The victim, a child, has so little protection when his/her parent, a family member, a trusted clergy, a priest, a Boy Scout leader, a teacher, etc., is the perp. That's why they're so easy to victimize; they have the least power.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by koldkase View Post

Singular has yet to prove any of his theories about child sex rings that I have seen. While I have no doubt that children are systematically abused in horrible ways by their parents and others sometimes, I don't believe a word of what Nancy Krebs said because she lied so much, how can I? Whether it was because she was a heavy drug user, a fabulist, or simply wanted to cash in on this murder like so many others, I don't know, but nothing she said made sense, was logical, or could be proven.

I don't think it was outside the inner circle, or Patsy would never have kept quiet about it, IMO.

Of course, I'm only speculating, as well. Truthfully, there is no theory in this case that isn't out and out unbelievable, because what was done to this child, and subsequently to this case, is so crazy that 14 years later we're all still chasing our tails.
    First, I believe that Singular, like most of us, isn't in a position to prove anything. Like us, he is an outsider, having only what he's been able to learn from others upon which to base his theories or speculations. I understand, though, that he is working on another book. And I believe that, at least, he's still trying to learn the truth behind this horrible crime. Possibly he will be able to provide some evidence to support his theory. And any new information I'm sure will be welcomed.

But the main thing I wanted to address is your comment about how it is so crazy that 14 years have gone by... and we still have no solution to this crime. I commented years ago about how JonBenet looked "different" in her last photos. This is only opinion, but I could see a different child altogether in those last photos. It's hard to explain, but she looked pale and in some, there were dark circles under her eyes. There was a bruise on the INSIDE of one of her arms... something that IMO couldn't have been attributed to rough kid play. She also seemed to be (and this is the hard part to explain) kind of "holding back" rather than the exuberant, cheerfully confident little girl seen in past photos.

In my opinion, there were outward signs that something unusual was going on in her life. Although some have scoffed at the report of her sitting on the stairs, crying, and while saying, "I don't feel pretty", I think there's a very good possibility that this actually happened. And WHAT could have made her feel that way? I think her being molested is possibly the ONLY thing.

Now we learn that the tape over her mouth is a sign denoting concern about her "telling" about her molestation. I think this tells us quite frankly the motive behind the crime.

First, I believe that Singular, like most of us, isn't in a position to prove anything. Like us, he is an outsider, having only what he's been able to learn from others upon which to base his theories or speculations. I understand, though, that he is working on another book. And I believe that, at least, he's still trying to learn the truth behind this horrible crime. Possibly he will be able to provide some evidence to support his theory. And any new information I'm sure will be welcomed.
    New info is always welcomed, as long as it's based in something more than speculation he's already offered--for profit, and causing great harm to one family without so much as a caution. Singular lost all credibility with me over the libel he promoted concerning the White family, which he expected to be well paid for in one way or another, I believe. He's going to have to have a lot more than another book full of wild speculation based on a certified--and I mean, a legally certified code 5051--nutjob.

But the main thing I wanted to address is your comment about how it is so crazy that 14 years have gone by... and we still have no solution to this crime. I commented years ago about how JonBenet looked "different" in her last photos. This is only opinion, but I could see a different child altogether in those last photos. It's hard to explain, but she looked pale and in some, there were dark circles under her eyes. There was a bruise on the INSIDE of one of her arms... something that IMO couldn't have been attributed to rough kid play. She also seemed to be (and this is the hard part to explain) kind of "holding back" rather than the exuberant, cheerfully confident little girl seen in past photos.

In my opinion, there were outward signs that something unusual was going on in her life. Although some have scoffed at the report of her sitting on the stairs, crying, and while saying, "I don't feel pretty", I think there's a very good possibility that this actually happened. And WHAT could have made her feel that way? I think her being molested is possibly the ONLY thing.

Now we learn that the tape over her mouth is a sign denoting concern about her "telling" about her molestation. I think this tells us quite frankly the motive behind the crime.
    We have numerous reports, as you point out, that JonBenet was in significant stress. We can see the pageant videos ourselves, and while some think these were innocent, I think the nature of training children for these is not healthy or age appropriate, IMO. I agree that bruise above the elbow in the inner upper arm was not innocent. Nedra said it was from a bird cage that fell on the child, but I see nothing that supports that. Bird cages have sharp edges, or even circular edges, but they don't have fingers, and that bruise looks exactly like a thumbprint to me. It's also in the exact location it would be if someone grabbed her by the upper arm and pulled on her for some reason. Why not admit that if it was an accident? Lying about it--that raises another red flag, IMO.

One of the more recent reports of questionable behavior in JonBenet's patterns, I believe, was from a close Ramsey friend, Mrs. Archuleta. Her strange disclosure in her only interview with a reporter of which I am aware is most telling, considering she fully believes the Ramseys to be innocent in this crime. Let me find that article for a memory refresher. BRB.

Okay, knowing what we know from the autopsy, that Patsy called Dr. Beuf's office three time in one hr. after the office closed on Dec. 17th, this is an astonishing story Mrs. Archuleta tells:

Nov 13, 2008 Register | Log In

The Daily Beast Web
    Blogs and Stories

John Ramsey's Lingering Suspicions
    by Lucinda Franks

[snip]

Yet Pam Archuleta, over coffee and then wine at the Boulderado Hotel, said Patsy was “obsessed” by the contests, and she describes the alcove just outside the master bedroom in Boulder where Patsy displayed all the photos, trophies, ribbons and tiaras from her own days as Miss West Virginia. JonBenet’s pageant costumes were “handmade in New York, much finer than the other contestants,” says another family friend. "Her hair was highlighted, her makeup applied thickly and designed to make her look older. Besides, she had to take piano and singing lessons, she had a coach. Does that sound like fun?”

John Ramsey had misgivings about the cost of the costumes and the atmosphere of the pageant circuit: "I hated the 'I won, I won,' attitude of the other families,” he says. Sometimes, according to Pam, he and Patsy argued about it: "He came from a well-bred background and things like that were not done.”

Even Patsy expressed occasional doubts about the effect of the circuit on her daughter: "She is too friendly, just too friendly with people," she told Michael and Pam. “She flirts with people.”

[snip]

Pam Archuleta saw a fatigue in JonBenet during the last months of her life. "She had this haunted, defeated look. She looked frozen when she got that beauty queen attitude on. I think she was just plain worn out.”

[snip]
    Now add in what was written in the "Bonita Papers"--which I say up front we have no way of confirming some of what she wrote, it was a first draft, and there are many errors in the info in it:

...The teachers did note that sometime in December 1996,
    JonBenet developed a clinginess to her mother which they thought
    unusual for the ordinarily independent, self assured child. It had
    always been apparent that there was an extreme closeness between
    JonBenet and her mother, appeared to be overly protective, but this change in JonBenet appeared to be an even more exaggerated degree of closeness.

[snip]

...JonBenet's grandmother, Nedra, admits that both she and her brother, Burke, were spoiled and were seldom disciplined. But Nedra would balance this observation, in typical grandmother fashion, by saying that the children were very well behaved and mature a fact confirmed by friends of John and Patsy who were also acquainted with the children. In spite of the material benefits available to the Ramsey children, neither appeared to be pampered. because both Burke and JonBenet were exposed to world travel and many social situations, they had achieved sophistication and social skills not normally found in children of their ages.

But "normal" is not an appropriate word to describe JonBenet. Her flawless beauty certainly set her apart from other six year olds. Her extraordinary gift for entertaining was blatantly displayed to the public in the videos of her pageant performances immediately after her death. She demonstrated poise and maturity very untypical of a child her age, and she was as comfortable talking to adults as she was with playmates. People seemed drawn to her.

[snip]

Although in good health, JonBenet had one problem that caused concern to her parents. in one of her visits to the family's pediatrician in 1994, one of 33 visits in the last three years of JonBenet's life, Patsy noted on the office records that she was concerned with the wetting and soiling of underwear. Patsy's mother, Nedra, related that the family would often wake her up shortly after she sent to sleep to take her to the bathroom in hopes of preventing middle of the night accidents. Until recently, JonBenet wore pull up diapers, but Patsy quit using them because she thought the absorbent material would prevent her from feeling the wetness and waking up. Now when she had a bedwetting incident during the night JonBenet would usually get up and change her own clothes. Sometimes he would go into her brother’s bedroom and crawl into the extra bed to avoid going back to her own cold, web one. Plastic sheets were always kept on JonBenet’s bed, and the housekeeper, Linda Hoffman Paugh, said that the only housekeeping chore Patsy did was changing JonBenet's bedding.
    http://www.forumsforjustice.org/foru...ead.php?t=4502

Of course there is much more, but I picked the more compelling parts in relation to this topic.
    Last edited by koldkase; March 7, 2011, 5:12 pm at Mon Mar 7 17:12:54 UTC 2011.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

Here is one photo of the bruise you mentioned, mBm:

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

You could be right, kk. But, IMO, the bruise doesn't fit with that thin cord. If there was a knot in the front of that cord, I could more believe such a bruise being made as the knot slipped up the neck. But I'm not very certain about my feelings here.
    I was looking for this photo for you, learnin, and I noticed something in another I've looked at a thousand times. It occurred to me that maybe that photo would give a better perspective of the neck structure, as relates to the bruise on the left anterior neck. As I was thinking, I began to feel the structure of my own neck, and I may have an AHA! moment. As I turned my head, thinking the child was on her stomach, her head turned to the side, face on carpet (chin had carpet fiber and green paint particle from paint tray or broken brush stuck to it), my large sterno-mastoid muscles on each side stuck out.

That's when I thought, oh, if hers were also stuck out like this when the cord was being pulled, that would be the part of her neck skin that took the most damage--and I can better see how that large bruise happened.

Now, if I can only explain what I'm thinking.

Here's the photo Christmas morning with the necklace:

Here is a side shot of JB from that morning--see how the front of her neck leads?

Now I'm going to try to find another photo demonstrating the sterno-mastoid muscles protruding when the head is turned. BRB

Let's see if this explains it better:

I think this might do it: look at the shadows around the "jugular notch."

Last edited by koldkase; March 7, 2011, 7:08 pm at Mon Mar 7 19:08:25 UTC 2011.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

I was looking for this photo for you, learnin, and I noticed something in another I've looked at a thousand times. It occurred to me that maybe that photo would give a better perspective of the neck structure, as relates to the bruise on the left anterior neck. As I was thinking, I began to feel the structure of my own neck, and I may have an AHA! moment. As I turned my head, thinking the child was on her stomach, her head turned to the side, face on carpet (chin had carpet fiber and green paint particle from paint tray or broken brush stuck to it), my large sterno-mastoid muscles on each side stuck out.

That's when I thought, oh, if hers were also stuck out like this when the cord was being pulled, that would be the part of her neck skin that took the most damage--and I can better see how that large bruise happened.

Now, if I can only explain what I'm thinking.

Here's the photo Christmas morning with the necklace:

Here is a side shot of JB from that morning--see how the front of her neck leads?

Now I'm going to try to find another photo demonstrating the sterno-mastoid muscles protruding when the head is turned. BRB

Let's see if this explains it better:

I think this might do it: look at the shadows around the "jugular notch."

Yes, this muscle would certainly be prominent with the head turned like that especially in a thin neck. I really can't argue against the bruise being caused by the cord and necklace being pulled up the neck.

What a sad picture showing that necklace....to think, in a few hours, it would be entwined in that ligature.....

kk, seeing all the pics of JB with the big earrings on, makes me wonder. Do we have any description of the earring found in the street in front of the Ramsey home?

I'm wondering since we have so many pictures of her with a wide assortment of earrings, perhaps we could match the description of the one found in the street to ones she wore in a photo.

Did the police ever release any information about it other than where it was found?

I'm thinking that since it was found in the street, it would tell us that it's possible the perp escaped by going through the front yard even though it wouldn't necessarily tell us how he exited the house. (That is, assuming there WAS an intruder.) Thanks.

Yes, this muscle would certainly be prominent with the head turned like that especially in a thin neck. I really can't argue against the bruise being caused by the cord and necklace being pulled up the neck.

What a sad picture showing that necklace....to think, in a few hours, it would be entwined in that ligature.....
    Yes, that photo is always so disturbing. I still look at it and ask in disbelief, how on earth did this happen to you?

Don't know if you've seen this, but I found it googling about the sterno-mastoid muscle in stranguation. It's forensic analysis on ligature strangulation patterns (no photos), but clearly describing the pattern of the bruises on the neck in this case:

http://www.corpus-delicti.com/ligature.html

It's a very readable text. I've been reading some other very technically written descriptions of kinds of asphyxia and head injuries, as well, and I put those links in the autopsy photos section of the case library. I can say with certainty this link is informative and within my dummy range of comprehension.
    Last edited by koldkase; March 8, 2011, 3:55 am at Tue Mar 8 3:55:25 UTC 2011.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

kk, seeing all the pics of JB with the big earrings on, makes me wonder. Do we have any description of the earring found in the street in front of the Ramsey home?

I'm wondering since we have so many pictures of her with a wide assortment of earrings, perhaps we could match the description of the one found in the street to ones she wore in a photo.

Did the police ever release any information about it other than where it was found?

I'm thinking that since it was found in the street, it would tell us that it's possible the perp escaped by going through the front yard even though it wouldn't necessarily tell us how he exited the house. (That is, assuming there WAS an intruder.) Thanks.
    I don't remember if there was any significant description of the earring, though I easily can just be forgetting as I haven't seen it discussed in a very long time. I don't believe I ever saw a photo of it, though one may exist. I vaguely recall that was something IDIs spent more time with, so maybe you could ask them.

JonBenet seemed to wear really large, rhinestone costume jewelry in her ears at pageants; so it seems those would have been easily picked up on if the one found was flashy like that. Some of the pageant photos are blurred for me, but one set I do recognize is the white rhinestone heart earrings--those stuck out for me, for obvious reasons.

Seems LE would have asked Patsy to look at a photo of the earring alleged to have been found outside for purposes of identifying it in '98? Did they? Can't remember. But even if it could be identified as JonBenet's, the problem is how would that prove anything other than it was one she wore at some point that got dropped outside? It doesn't prove how or when. It could have happened any number of ways: she was playing in them outside; another child picked one up in the house and lost it outside later; it fell out of the car window during a rush somewhere; etc. Since it's been widely publicized, someone mentioning it as evidence they were there won't work, either. If you get my drift.... ;-)

Hope that helps, but really I don't have an answer. It's late and I'm just babbling. Too much reading today on stuff that's way out of my experience.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

Okay, I must be suffering from a form of...something...because I seem to be the only person on the forums who sees that the large bruise on the left front neck was caused by the cord. I have written about this so many times, and no one ever responds, but then it always comes back up as this bruise was caused by anything but that cord. So I must be just wrong.

Fr Brown, or anyone (if you are able to look at the graphic autopsy photos), could you look at this group of photos and give me your opinion? Since no one ever responds, I don't know if they're just too polite to say KK you're wack or what.

I did a crude line-drawing on an autopsy photo to demonstrate what I see. WARNING: these are autopsy photos!
    http://www.forumsforjustice.org/foru...958#post186958

Thanks in advance.
    Well, I see the bruise in the photo as being more in the middle of the neck. (My memory, which appears to be wrong, remembers collarbone involvement.)

I'm fairly sure that's the bruise Spitz said was probably made by the knuckles of a closed hand.

I'll look around and see if I can find the Spitz interview.