Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jeff Shapiro: Patsy Did It, Hunter Agreed She Was Only Logical Suspect, Lacy Wrong!

Read the full article at:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/...retrospective/

My Search for JonBenet Ramsey's Killer – a 15th Anniversary Retrospective

By Jeffrey Scott Shapiro

Published December 26, 2011
    FoxNews.com

Nearly 15 years ago, I was recruited by the Globe tabloid to investigate the murder of JonBenet Ramsey in Boulder, Colorado.

My story was chronicled in Lawrence Schiller’s New York Times bestseller, “Perfect Murder, Perfect Town,” which featured my tale as a cub reporter immersed in the most sensational child murder case in American history.

During my time on the JonBenet Ramsey case, I tracked down the origin of the murder weapon, infiltrated the Ramsey’s church, spent nights tracking intruder suspects, worked for the Boulder Police Department as a confidential informant, had secret conversations with District Attorney Alex Hunter, and made presentations to the F.B.I. I even became acquainted with John and Patsy Ramsey.

For several years, I secretly hoped I could prove the Ramseys were innocent. Not only did I feel compassion for them in the wake of relentless media attacks, my interaction with them forced me to recognize them as real people instead of mere names in newspaper print.

In 2006 however, after Patsy Ramsey died of ovarian cancer, I came to terms with the fact that the most compelling evidence suggested that she was somehow involved in the death of her daughter – even if it was just an accident covered up to look like an intentional killing.

When the Ramseys woke up the morning of December 26, 1996, they allegedly found a three-page ransom note left on the spiral staircase of their home demanding the odd sum of $118,000. It was signed, “Victory! S.B.T.C.”

In my opinion, the handwriting in the ransom note had striking similarities to samples of Patsy’s that I’d collected over the years, and there were also what I considered to be coded messages in the note that had special significance for Patsy.

Many reporters assumed the $118,000 ransom demand was somehow connected to the $118,000 bonus John Ramsey coincidentally received that year from his company, Access Graphics, but what most people do not know is that the number 118 had a sacred meaning to Patsy.

As a devoutly religious woman who had relied on Christian faith healing, two of Patsy’s favorite books on the matter held the key.

In 1994, the Colorado Woman’s Daily did a cover story on Patsy in which she admitted that she was relying on Christian faith healing to overcome her illness. In that article, Patsy said she relied heavily on a spiritual book by Dodie Osteen called, “Healed of Cancer.”

Osteen wrote in her book that she recited Psalm 118, Verse 17 every night before going to sleep over and over again. It read: “I shall not die, but live and declare the works of the Lord.”

Patsy’s neighbor, Betty Barnhill referred another book to me that she had loaned Patsy called “Be Healed,” by Marilyn Hickey. In the second paragraph of the very first page, the author also reiterated the importance of reciting Psalm 118 regularly.

It was undeniably clear to me that the number 118 had a deeply profound importance in Patsy’s life, and so the appearance of this odd number in the ransom note was unlikely to be a coincidence.

[snip]

I then tried to imagine – if a deeply Christian woman wanted to make it appear that an intruder had killed her daughter on Christmas night, what kind of person would she envision as the killer?

Who would she want to blame it on?

To me, the answer was obvious.

During the 1980’s and 1990’s, many people believed stories about Satanic Ritual Abuse (SRA). Typically, SRA involved the attempted kidnapping of children for sexual molestation and sacrifice, and in some stories, children were strangled or tied up.

[snip]

It is my firm belief that JonBenet’s killer was a deeply religious person who was calling out to God for help in a hysterical panic after the little girl died, someone who was trying to convince themselves that Satan was responsible for their actions.

Who would believe such a delusion?

Someone who believed their illness was caused by Satan, someone who read books that blamed every bad worldly occurrence on the dark angel; someone deeply religious who actually believed there were Satanists out there and knew about Satanic Ritual Abuse; someone who thought if they staged the murder to look like a cult killing, police may believe that’s what it was, unaware of the fact that the SRA phenomenon had already been widely discredited within law enforcement circles.

[snip]

I wasn’t the only one who felt that religion somehow played into the cover up of the murder.

Several years after lead detective Steve Thomas publicly professed his unequivocal belief that Patsy was the killer, another investigator, James Kolar examined the case.

Kolar, concluded that Patsy was the killer because many of the religious statements she made to the media after JonBenet’s death mirrored the types of deeply religious statements Susan Smith made after she killed her own children.

After Kolar made his presentation to Boulder District Attorney Mary Lacy, she did the unthinkable by releasing a written statement clearing the Ramseys. Lacy however, was not the original district attorney who investigated the crime, Alex Hunter was, and Hunter had always told me in private that he believed Patsy was the only logical suspect – as did almost all my sources in the Boulder Police Department, Colorado Bureau of Investigations and F.B.I.

Shortly after Lacy’s announcement that she exonerated the Ramseys, I wrote a piece for Fox News Opinion explaining why I believed she had made a fatal mistake. Since her successor Stan Garnett took over, law enforcement officials have resumed investigating their original theory that Patsy was involved.

[snip]

As much as I’d love to believe that DNA was not an unrelated, accidental transfer and that Patsy was completely innocent, I cannot. In addition, I do not believe that any other member of the Ramsey family was involved in JonBenet’s death or the cover up of her murder, because neither proposition is what the totality of the evidence suggests.

Finally, there were personal observations I made that led me to think Patsy could have been involved.

One summer day in 1997 I sat beside the Ramseys in church only a few months after JonBenet’s passing. At one point, the reverend, Rol Hoverstock put his hand on John’s shoulder and compassionately whispered to him, “You’re a good man, John. I know you didn’t do this.”

Minutes later, when he walked by Patsy sitting alone in an empty pew, the two made eye contact, but instead of greeting her as he did John, he angrily looked away and drifted right past her.

That stunned me.

[snip]

Jeffrey Scott Shapiro is an investigative journalist who has researched the JonBenet Ramsey murder case for nearly 15 years.

Very interesting article Cherokee. Thank you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody!
    Sorry it's a bit belated.

Thank you for posting this very interesting article, Cherokee. It puts finality to the case for me. Like Steve Thomas, I believe Patsy was responsible for the accidental death of JonBenét Ramsey. I think it was a Rage Killing!
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

Yes, thanks, Chero, for posting this. I have only read your quotes, so I must go to the site to finish. I'm wondering if Shapiro notes the prior molestation. If he's truly trying to set the record straight or give a fully researched article, he can't have missed that, can he?

Because I agree all the evidence points to Patsy, but there is some evidence that needs further explaining. The fibers from JR's shirt found on JonBenet's genital area could have been transfer, but JR's subsequent lies told to LE are not so easy to dismiss. Of course, JR could simply have been covering up for Patsy after the fact as far as the murder, but who was molesting the child before that night? That's a question absolutely NO ONE who was closely involved in this case first hand ever even mentions. When people go to such lengths to avoid the one piece of evidence that clearly and unequivocally needs explaining as a criminal element in the murder, evidence which would in all probability lead directly to the killer, I HAVE TO ASK: WHY? Team Ramsey has spent 15 years denying the evidence even exists, thought it's in the autopsy as plain as the nose on your face, so you know it's very important.

Thanks to Shapiro for this: being honest about his period of turnabout, when he suddenly declared his belief in the Ramsey's innocence and only added fuel to the faux intruder fire. Oh, how the RST loved that.

Edited to add: Read the entire article and Jeff does mention the unexplained evidence of prior molestation:

My translation of the ransom note does not explain everything that happened Christmas night in 1996 at 755 15th Street in Boulder, Colorado. It does not explain the fact that a panel of expert pediatricians told police they believed JonBenet’s hymen demonstrated ongoing, prior, sexual abuse.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/...#ixzz1hqJZqm3M

Hey, Karen and Elle.
    Last edited by koldkase; December 28, 2011, 10:17 am at Wed Dec 28 10:17:59 UTC 2011.

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"
    FF: WRKJB?

~~~~~~~
    Bloomies underwear model:
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~
    My opinions, nothing more.

Red face

This article is interesting in that it is now a more mature Jeff Shapiro looking back at 15 years after the crime. In his beginning assessments he clearly states that he "tracked down the origin of the murder weapon". Whaaaat is that? I don't remember which item that might be...yet he knows. My remembering of this case has become so fuzzy over the years but there are a few things that still ring as clear as that bell announcing lunch break! What have I missed here?
    "When are we going to get our heads out of the sand and understand that sometimes really nice people who look good on the outside are dastardly on the inside." Wendy Murphy, former prosecutor, MA

Quote Originally Posted by zoomama View Post
    This article is interesting in that it is now a more mature Jeff Shapiro looking back at 15 years after the crime. In his beginning assessments he clearly states that he "tracked down the origin of the murder weapon". Whaaaat is that? I don't remember which item that might be...yet he knows. My remembering of this case has become so fuzzy over the years but there are a few things that still ring as clear as that bell announcing lunch break! What have I missed here?

Hey Zoomama, JS is referring to the following:

After church, Jeff Shapiro called Frank Coffman, an occasional contributor to the Colorado Daily. Coffman, a friendly guy about to turn fifty, had first met Alex Hunter in 1982 during a citizens’ meeting and was currently writing articles on the Ramsey case. Coffman agreed to meet Shapiro at the Trident bookstore and café on Pearl Street, next door to the Rue Morgue mystery bookstore.
    Over coffee, they talked about the case and eventually reached the topic of the garrote stick. In the photo the Globe had published, the wood looked like a manufactured item, slightly glossy and tapered. Then they looked at the autopsy and crime scene photos, which Shapiro had been given by his editor. Coffman said he’d once seen some white cord at the Boulder army-navy store that looked similar to the cord around JonBenét’s wrist.
    That afternoon, Shapiro visited the store Coffman had mentioned, which was just a few blocks from the Access Graphics offices. Sifting through the boxes of white cord, he found some that matched what he’d seen in the autopsy photo. Shapiro asked the cashier if John or Patsy Ramsey had ever been in the store.
    “Not that I can recall,” the clerk said.
    That evening, Shapiro wrote a letter to Alex Hunter. He mentioned what he’d found and said that according to the clerk, the police had never visited the store to inquire about cord.
    “People like you are going to make a difference,” Hunter told Shapiro on the phone after receiving his letter. “Other journalists come in to get information. You come in to give me information.” The comment gave Shapiro a huge boost.
    Meanwhile, his editor was pushing him to develop a police source. Call Steve Thomas, Mullins said. Shapiro thought he was joking, since Mullins had blown Shapiro’s cover by calling Thomas earlier in the year.
    Nevertheless, Shapiro called Thomas and left a message, saying he had information the cops might need. Surprisingly, Thomas called back.
    “I still have a working file on you,” the detective said. “I look forward to seeing whatever it is you have to tell me.”
    Shapiro dropped off a note for Thomas at police headquarters. In it, he mentioned the white cord he had found—and also that the movie Speed contained a line similar to one rumored to be in the ransom note: “Don’t try to grow a brain John.”

Perfect Murder, Perfect Town, Lawrence Schiller, pages 406-407

During the second week in June, Jeff Shapiro visited the Boulder public library to research garrotes. He learned that the Spanish conquistadors who colonized the Philippines had executed native revolutionaries by strangling them with a garrote in the same manner the media believed JonBenét had been murdered. Shapiro discovered that the garrote became the symbol of the Philippine revolution of 1872 and that every Filipino schoolchild learned that the revolutionaries had been garroted to death in public. José Rizal, who inspired the revolution, was himself sentenced to death on December 26, the same day of the year that JonBenét Ramsey died.
    I knew John Ramsey had been stationed at Subic Bay in the Philippines, and he must have known about the role garroting played in the history of the islands.
    I started to freak out.
    I called Steve Thomas. Soon after that, he and Detective Jane Harmer saw me. I read them the material about the Philippines.
    “I really want to help,” I told Thomas.
    “It seems like you’ve got the right intentions,” Thomas said. “You care about this little girl—you seem to want justice for JonBenét.

Perfect Murder, Perfect Town, Lawrence Schiller, page 435

zm and cynic,

I listened to the recording of Tricia's broadcast last night. Heard your voices and said to myself..."I have posted with zm and cynic, and I have posted and actually met with Peggy Lakin and here you all were on the air. One needs patience to wait until you are called upon while other guests are still speaking. Don't think I have enough!(?). I think I would have been too nervous for something like that! More power to y'all! You all did very well; especially if you were not used to doing something like this.

I'm anxious for the new year to chime in and hear whatever news Tricia will be able to release about the JonBenét Ramsey case. Intriguing isn't it? This was how she closed her show.
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by koldkase View Post
    Hey, Karen and Elle.
    Hello there KK .. why weren't you speaking on the radio with the others?
    Just my opinion.

Lightbulb

Thank you Cynic for once again shedding light on the subject. I admire your ability to pull together these facts. My own knowledge has faded with time. sometimes I can recall a thing or two once it has been mentioned. I did read the book, APM, A P Town, but that quote has surely escaped my attention.

It is so good of you to go on the radio and ask or explain about the details of this case or any other case.

In the chat room while the program was going on I read a question from one of the Chatters asking if anyone had visited the graves of JonBenet and Patsy on this anniversary. No one knew the answer and I still wonder.
    "When are we going to get our heads out of the sand and understand that sometimes really nice people who look good on the outside are dastardly on the inside." Wendy Murphy, former prosecutor, MA

RiverRat is offline FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Left is Patsy Ramsey)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by zoomama View Post
    Thank you Cynic for once again shedding light on the subject. I admire your ability to pull together these facts. My own knowledge has faded with time. sometimes I can recall a thing or two once it has been mentioned. I did read the book, APM, A P Town, but that quote has surely escaped my attention.

It is so good of you to go on the radio and ask or explain about the details of this case or any other case.

In the chat room while the program was going on I read a question from one of the Chatters asking if anyone had visited the graves of JonBenet and Patsy on this anniversary. No one knew the answer and I still wonder.
    It was Sooo Good to hear your voice again and I was proud of you for calling in as an Extra Special guest!

Now...about those chatters...I know exactly who was wondering if JonBenet and Patsy were all alone once again with no visitors at Christmas but I did not know that those on the radio were reading the chat! Not that VP and I were not on our best behavior or anything like that...

What was this thread for again? Shapiro and his yet once again stunning revelation?! Oh ~ zzzzzzzzzzzzz!

RR
    "Don't play dumb with me, RR! You're no good at it." The Punisher

"Although no one is anticipating a prompt resolution to this long and much-detoured case, perhaps - just perhaps - might we see one of those moments “when a chance arrow of history scores a perfect bullseye on a deserving target”? Steve Thomas 2009

"Justice hasn't had a chance so far. Anyone who doesn't have this as their prime goal, we'll have a falling out with." Fleet White - Time Magazine

"What happens is that evil comes in," Fleet says. "If you don't have truth, all you have are lies, then what comes in is evil. And evil just does its thing. In the Ramsey case, it just did its thing, and it's eaten up so many people."

Talking

Oh, Ratty! Of course I saw your little mousey tail switching back and forth. Both you and VP were the ones discussing the grave site. And of course I remembered your pictures when you visited it. How come you didn't call in and share your wisdom? That would have been so great!

At one point I had to turn off my phone because I caused a "BUZZ". I'll bet it was because I was watching the chat room with my sound off. Anyway for as long as I was watching I enjoyed all of the chatters comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle_1 View Post
    Hello there KK .. why weren't you speaking on the radio with the others?
    Tricia had it all laid out and I'm completely thrilled with her panel. They went for 2.5+ hrs. as it was! If they'd had my big mouth on there, you'd still be listening.

Always good to see you, Elle. You're the best supporter on the forum, hands down!

Cynic, you were awesome on the program. But you knew that.

Zoomama and Rat, y'all staying out of trouble? Hope not! I'd hate my fellow pyrates to lose their sullied reputations at this point.

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"
    FF: WRKJB?

~~~~~~~
    Bloomies underwear model:
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~
    My opinions, nothing more.