Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Reminder ~ the swiss army knife was taken away from Burke and hidden so that he could not find it and continue making the mess that caused him to be grounded from having the knife.

Patsy knew exactly where it was though.

RR
    Remember all those drawers left half open in JAR's bathroom? Next to JB's bedroom...with the wash-area outside them? Where the "kitchen" knife was abandoned on top of the washing machine? Over which the cabinet with the door left open, the package of large diapers hanging out, was located? Where the maid hid Burke's Swiss Army knife?

I'm imagining someone frantically looking for something to cut that cord. Run to the kitchen for scissors...can't find them in the dark...grab the kitchen knife. That's not working well...remember the Swiss Army Knife hidden in the cabinet.... Lay the kitchen knife on the washing machine while retrieving the Swiss knife....

Well, it's a thought. I've always felt the disarray in the area of JB's bedroom, the doors and drawers left open, the odd knife on the washing machine...tell a story. Even the "bag of rope" found at the foot of JAR's bed looks to me like someone looking for something...to make a ligature?

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"
    FF: WRKJB?

~~~~~~~
    Bloomies underwear model:
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~
    My opinions, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Learnin View Post
    There is another possibility when considering the fraying. The frayed ends might indicate that the cord had been cut at an earlier date. I had some shoestrings once that were way too long on a pair of tennis shoes. This cord is similar to some shoestrings.

At any rate, I got tired of the length and decided to cut the strings. Worked great for a few days and then the ends of the cord began to fray. This makes me wonder if this cord had already been cut and used on something else prior to being used for this grisly deed.
    Shoestrings--on my "list" of possible sources for the cord. That neatly cut, un-frayed end of the ligature cord on the "handle" puzzles me. Why would that be the only end still as neat as the day it was cut? I'm assuming it was cut an earlier time, of course, because it was obviously cut by something other than whatever was used to cut the rest of the ligatures.

Clearly it has some kind of treatment on it. I can't see tape of any kind--that's what I use sometimes, household clear tape. So did it have some "glue" application" commonly used commercially to secure cord ends like that?

See, there is NO WAY the BPD doesn't know the answers to these questions. NO WAY.

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"
    FF: WRKJB?

~~~~~~~
    Bloomies underwear model:
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~
    My opinions, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by koldkase View Post
    No apologies--the point of group discussion is joining in with your thoughts. That's how we move along. WS members in a discussion sent me on this exploration and now I have finally got some answers--or at least plausible ideas--to some questions I've long pondered.

The cord was identified as the Stansport brand, a nylon cord, if memory serves, used in sports. I've also wondered if LE might have found similar cord at the airport where JR's planes were stored.

I, too, have always wondered why use the paintbrush at all? Looking at the neater "broken" end, it clearly wasn't broken like the other jagged end.

Makes me wonder if the paintbrush was involved in the crime at some point before it was tied onto the ligature, maybe because the fear was it would point to someone in the family unless it was disguised as part of the "murder weapon"?

I'm now even wondering if the tip was already gone, discarded in the trash long before the crime.
    I doubt Patsy Ramsey would have used anything but a perfect handle with her demeanor. everything had to be perfect, but she failed with the coverup. Everything was overdone! Wasn't there talk about the brush having been used on JonBenét. Too delicate to talk about here.

From the autopsy report:
    Abrasion and vascular congestion of vaginal mucosa
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

Remember all those drawers left half open in JAR's bathroom? Next to JB's bedroom...with the wash-area outside them? Where the "kitchen" knife was abandoned on top of the washing machine? Over which the cabinet with the door left open, the package of large diapers hanging out, was located? Where the maid hid Burke's Swiss Army knife?

I'm imagining someone frantically looking for something to cut that cord. Run to the kitchen for scissors...can't find them in the dark...grab the kitchen knife. That's not working well...remember the Swiss Army Knife hidden in the cabinet.... Lay the kitchen knife on the washing machine while retrieving the Swiss knife....

Well, it's a thought. I've always felt the disarray in the area of JB's bedroom, the doors and drawers left open, the odd knife on the washing machine...tell a story. Even the "bag of rope" found at the foot of JAR's bed looks to me like someone looking for something...to make a ligature?
    Like someone who already lives in the house and knows where everything is kk (?).
    Just my opinion.

Shoestrings--on my "list" of possible sources for the cord. That neatly cut, un-frayed end of the ligature cord on the "handle" puzzles me. Why would that be the only end still as neat as the day it was cut? I'm assuming it was cut an earlier time, of course, because it was obviously cut by something other than whatever was used to cut the rest of the ligatures.

Clearly it has some kind of treatment on it. I can't see tape of any kind--that's what I use sometimes, household clear tape. So did it have some "glue" application" commonly used commercially to secure cord ends like that?

See, there is NO WAY the BPD doesn't know the answers to these questions. NO WAY.
    A few seconds over a flame will melt the ends and forever get rid of the “frizzies.”
    (I used to do this in my rock climbing days.)
    In the picture below I melted the right side and you can see the difference easily.
    Last edited by cynic; May 3, 2012, 12:33 am at Thu May 3 0:33:37 UTC 2012.

IMHO, the reason the end of the cord (on the broken paintbrush) is not frayed but looks "closed" is because it was at the end of the cord reel. In other words, it was where the manufacturer had used heat and/or chemicals to close the end of the cord.

THAT IS WHY NO MORE CORD WAS FOUND IN THE RAMSEY HOUSE!

Whoever staged the crime scene and binding of JonBenet's body after her death used what was left of a skein of cord. The previous parts could have been used for any number of things, possibly the hanging of Patsy's artwork. For that reason, it makes sense that the cord could have been stored with some of her paint trays and art supplies in the basement.

It also makes sense why so much cord was used to tie JonBenet's wrists so loosely. If it had been a REAL binding, the hands would have been close together with the cord wrapped several times around the wrists and then together. It's almost like the stager had a certain amount of cord they wanted to use up so there wouldn't be any left to implicate to whom it belonged.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You bet the BPD has a lot of information on that cord...wish we were privy to it.

You're right about substances used to stop a cord, such as this, from fraying. One trick is to light the end on fire for just a few seconds and the ends fuse together. But, that would have been obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    A few seconds over a flame will melt the ends and forever get rid of the “frizzies.”
    (I used to do this to in my rock climbing days.)
    In the picture below I melted the right side and you can see the difference easily.

Well you beat me to it, cynic. I posted the flame trick before reading yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    IMHO, the reason the end of the cord (on the broken paintbrush) is not frayed but looks "closed" is because it was at the end of the cord reel. In other words, it was where the manufacturer had used heat and/or chemicals to close the end of the cord.

THAT IS WHY NO MORE CORD WAS FOUND IN THE RAMSEY HOUSE!

Whoever staged the crime scene and binding of JonBenet's body after her death used what was left of a skein of cord. The previous parts could have been used for any number of things, possibly the hanging of Patsy's artwork. For that reason, it makes sense that the cord could have been stored with some of her paint trays and art supplies in the basement.

It also makes sense why so much cord was used to tie JonBenet's wrists so loosely. If it had been a REAL binding, the hands would have been close together with the cord wrapped several times around the wrists and then together. It's almost like the stager had a certain amount of cord they wanted to use up so there wouldn't be any left to implicate to whom it belonged.
    Good points. It would explain why no cord was found and why so much was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Learnin View Post
    Good points. It would explain why no cord was found and why so much was used.
    I've always had a problem with the long length of cord used to tie JonBenet's wrists, as well as the very loose sailor loops that were used. That arrangement would not have kept JonBenet from using her arms and hands if she were still alive when the cords were placed on her, so it is obvious staging. But why so much cord? I think the fake strangling device (it wasn't a garrotte by any definition) was made first. For that, the "finished" end of the cord was used and there was some left over. The stager then got the idea to tie JonBenet's hands together. They used the rest of the cord in their feeble attempt to simulate real binding of a victim. It also got rid of any remaining cord that could be linked to something owned by the Ramseys, especially Patsy's art supplies.

The staging of the strangulation was done to buy time and hide JonBenet's cracked skull until autopsy. Everything was calculated to prevent the discovery of the head injury, especially before the Ramseys could make their getaway (and hide behind their lawyers). Initially, John planned to fly himself, Patsy and Burke to Atlanta IMMEDIATELY but was only stopped by police. If he could have followed through with his plans, the Ramseys would have been out of Colorado within an hour of John "finding" JonBenet's body after the police failed to do so.

The ransom note, the staging of JonBenet's body, the calling over of friends to provide a buffer (and a Greek chorus to Patsy's ultimate acting job while waiting for the kidnappers to call) was all done to buy time until the Ramseys could escape with the help of their powerful lawyers and the kingpins of Colorado politics. Even with the amateurish staging, it was the best they could do with the short amount of time they had to create a cover-up. Fifteen years later, we see that it worked very well.

However, I am reminded of what the brilliant FFJ poster, BobC, said many years ago, "People don't stage crime scenes in other people's houses." Some of us have not been hoodwinked. Hopefully, we'll all live long enough to see the truth come out.

The cord was identified as the Stansport brand, a nylon cord, if memory serves, used in sports. I've also wondered if LE might have found similar cord at the airport where JR's planes were stored.
    In the middle of November, John Van Tassell of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, one of the world’s foremost experts on knots and cords, reviewed the neck ligature, the length of white cord that had been twisted around the broken paintbrush handle to create a terrible killing tool. Van Tassell commented that it was “a soft nylon cord.” Sergeant Wickman and I immediately caught the term.
    We asked if he was certain, and the Mountie studied it some more. Sure looks like soft nylon, he said, as he examined what looked like a soft flat white shoelace. Not stiff and rigid like polypropylene.
    I retrieved one sample package, a fifty-foot length of white Stansport 32-strand, 3/16-inch woven cord that I had bought. Van Tassell pulled the cord out, frayed an end, held it against the end of the neck ligature, and said, “Look.” The soft white braid and inner weave appeared identical. “I think this is the same cord,” he said.
    JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation, Steve Thomas, pages 260-261

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    In the middle of November, John Van Tassell of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, one of the world’s foremost experts on knots and cords, reviewed the neck ligature, the length of white cord that had been twisted around the broken paintbrush handle to create a terrible killing tool. Van Tassell commented that it was “a soft nylon cord.” Sergeant Wickman and I immediately caught the term.
    We asked if he was certain, and the Mountie studied it some more. Sure looks like soft nylon, he said, as he examined what looked like a soft flat white shoelace. Not stiff and rigid like polypropylene.
    I retrieved one sample package, a fifty-foot length of white Stansport 32-strand, 3/16-inch woven cord that I had bought. Van Tassell pulled the cord out, frayed an end, held it against the end of the neck ligature, and said, “Look.” The soft white braid and inner weave appeared identical. “I think this is the same cord,” he said.
    JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation, Steve Thomas, pages 260-261
    Read Steve's book years ago, cynic. Thank you for posting this!
    Just my opinion.