Kane: Ramseys weren't genuine, answers were scripted, lots the public doesn't know

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Cherokee, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

While working on the FFJ remodel, I came across this forgotten jewel - Michael Kane's interview with the Rocky Mountain News in December 2001. Ten years later, it's interesting to review Kane's words. He says:

1. he felt the Ramseys never gave straight answers,

2. the answers they gave were scripted and not spontaneous,

3. if Patsy didn't have a scripted answer, she resorted to "I don't know," and

4. there are "dozens" of secrets the public doesn't know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Kane Interview - Rocky Mountain News - December 2001

http://m.rockymountainnews.com/news/...ed-grand-jury/ [edited to add - the link is broken, read full article in third post on this thread]

When 'the system' falls short

By Charlie Brennan, News Staff Writer
    December 18, 2001

[snip]

Kane spent many hours questioning John and Patsy Ramsey about their daughter's murder. He said he believes they have yet to give him the straight story.

"When I met with them, I never felt that they were genuine," Kane said. "I always felt like I was talking to a press secretary who was giving responses with a spin.

"I always felt like their answers were very careful and, in some cases, scripted. And that caused me a lot of concern."

[snip]

Kane participated in two interviews with the Ramseys after joining the case. In the first, he was teamed with former homicide investigator Lou Smit for an interrogation of John Ramsey that spanned three days -- June 22 to 24, 1998.

More recently, he traveled with Beckner to Atlanta for interviews with John and Patsy Ramsey, conducted Aug. 28 and 29, 2000, in the office of their lawyer, L. Lin Wood. Those contentious sessions ended with the Ramseys and the Boulder officials calling the interviews a waste of time.

Reflecting now on his interviews with the Ramseys, Kane said, "I never felt like I was getting a spontaneous response.

"John Ramsey always left me with the impression that he was a very smart man, and he is very careful at answering questions," Kane said. "Whereas, Patsy struck me as somebody that just had an answer in advance of the question, and just kind of resorted to an 'I don't know' if she didn't have an answer in advance."

Kane said that with more than half a dozen books published and two movies made about the case, people could assume they know everything there is to know about the murder -- other than who did it, of course.

But, he said, such an assumption would be wrong.

There remain "dozens" of secrets, he said. "Absolutely. Dozens. And a lot of what the public thinks is fact is simply not fact."

He wouldn't disclose any of the former or correct any of the latter.

[snip]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. Elle

Elle Member

What a find, Cherokee! A real gem! Thank you! To me, Michael Kane speaks the truth, but I couldn't open the link. This notice came up when I clicked on it (?). Don't know if it's my computer (?).

Page not found
    We're sorry, but the requested page could not be found.

3. Cherokee

I'm sorry about that, Elle. It was working the other night. In fact, I had to replace a broken link with that one, but now it's not working. Maybe I found a cached news link.

The original post is in our case files, but since the story can no longer be found on the web, I'll post the entire news article again.

Here it is.

--------------------------------------------

Copied from The Rocky Mountain News

When 'the system' falls short

Case haunts DA's aide who led grand jury

Kane says he never felt that Ramseys gave him the straight story during his interviews

By Charlie Brennan, News Staff Writer
    December 18, 2001

Michael Kane says he still thinks about the JonBenet Ramsey murder every day.

"And at least once a week, when I'm out running or something, this case will be running through my head," he said, "and I'll think, 'What if we did this now?' or 'What if that happened?' "

Kane, 49, joined former District Attorney Alex Hunter's team in June 1998, about 18 months after JonBenet was found beaten and strangled in the basement of her Boulder home.

He led the 13-month-long grand jury probe that concluded Oct. 13, 1999, with no indictments issued in the case.

JonBenet's parents remain under an "umbrella of suspicion" in the death.

Kane spent many hours questioning John and Patsy Ramsey about their daughter's murder. He said he believes they have yet to give him the straight story.

"When I met with them, I never felt that they were genuine," Kane said. "I always felt like I was talking to a press secretary who was giving responses with a spin.

"I always felt like their answers were very careful and, in some cases, scripted. And that caused me a lot of concern."

Kane said one of the biggest mistakes in the case was that officials didn't take it to a grand jury in the early going.

"I think the major problem with this case was the hard-core evidence gathering," Kane said.

He believes a grand jury should have been impaneled promptly -- not necessarily to secure a rapid indictment, but in order to use a grand jury's broad powers to subpoena witnesses and, equally important, personal records.

"I had this argument with them until the day (former Boulder prosecutors) Pete Hofstrom and Trip DeMuth were off the case" in August 1998, Kane said.

"That's what a grand jury is for, because a grand jury can order someone to produce documents. It's up to the DA's office to say, 'There's an awful lot of things we need to know about, and the only way we're going to know about it is by getting these records.'

"Instead, it was almost two years later when we started issuing subpoenas for information, and the trail sometimes grows cold. A lot of businesses don't keep records that long," Kane said.

Many people connected to the case claimed they tuned out the constant chatter it sparked in the media. Not Kane.

"There were lots of times, sitting in the (Boulder justice center) war room at night, I'd flip on the TV and they'd be doing a program about this case, and somebody would say something, and I'd say 'Darn, I wish I'd thought of that,' " Kane said. "And then, I'd follow up on it."

On occasion, such brainstorms still lead Kane to call and share ideas with Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner. And, periodically, he'll get a call from Beckner seeking Kane's thoughts on any new wrinkle in the case that might have arisen.

Kane has had virtually no contact, however, with Boulder District Attorney Mary Keenan. She inherited the case from Hunter after his retirement in January.

"I don't feel slighted" by Keenan, Kane said. "I worked that case intensely. I had my shot. I did everything with the information that I had at the time to try to come up with an answer. And it didn't happen.

"Maybe what this case needs now is someone coming to the case for the first time, who may have a light bulb come on."

Kane moved back to his native Pennsylvania and spent the time since November 1999 in private practice doing primarily civil litigation.

He returned Dec. 10 to the Pennsylvania State Department of Revenue, as deputy director for taxation. He had been working at that Pennsylvania state agency when Hunter picked him to pilot the Ramsey grand jury.

Kane, a divorced father of two girls -- Kathleen, 17, and Madeline, 13 -- makes his home in Mechanicsburg, Pa., less than a mile from where his daughters live with their mother.

Asked if he's frustrated that no one has been charged in JonBenet's slaying, he didn't hesitate: "Lots. In a word, lots. I didn't sign on there to not come up with a conclusion that was not prosecutable."

Kane participated in two interviews with the Ramseys after joining the case. In the first, he was teamed with former homicide investigator Lou Smit for an interrogation of John Ramsey that spanned three days -- June 22 to 24, 1998.

More recently, he traveled with Beckner to Atlanta for interviews with John and Patsy Ramsey, conducted Aug. 28 and 29, 2000, in the office of their lawyer, L. Lin Wood. Those contentious sessions ended with the Ramseys and the Boulder officials calling the interviews a waste of time.

Reflecting now on his interviews with the Ramseys, Kane said, "I never felt like I was getting a spontaneous response.

"John Ramsey always left me with the impression that he was a very smart man, and he is very careful at answering questions," Kane said. "Whereas, Patsy struck me as somebody that just had an answer in advance of the question, and just kind of resorted to an 'I don't know' if she didn't have an answer in advance."

Kane said that with more than half a dozen books published and two movies made about the case, people could assume they know everything there is to know about the murder -- other than who did it, of course.

But, he said, such an assumption would be wrong.

There remain "dozens" of secrets, he said. "Absolutely. Dozens. And a lot of what the public thinks is fact is simply not fact."

He wouldn't disclose any of the former or correct any of the latter.

The legacy of the Ramsey case for Kane, personally, is that it left him in bad need of a vacation from criminal law.

"I got burned out on the cat-and-mouse aspects of it, after spending a year and a half focused on nothing else but that case," Kane said. "The process of going from small point to small point to small point, trying to find the truth, can be very intense and frustrating.

"Sometimes it's rewarding, but after doing it for a year and a half on this one case, I was just glad to get a break from it."

Contact Charlie Brennan at (303) 892-2742 or brennanc@RockyMountainNews.com.

4. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you for your time, Cherokee. Much appreciated. Is it any wonder Michael Kane was exasperated? Steve Thomas was the same. I doubt we'll ever hear of all the secrets which are hidden. One cannot blame him for not wanting to say any more. He's paid his dues

5. cynic

cynic Member

6. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Thank you Chero and Cynic. I can just feel the frustration in that interview with Kane. I know we will never hear about the inner workings of the Grand Jury but that alone would be interesting to know just what direction that took or if it took any direction at all except going around in circles and ending with nothing.

7. Elle

Elle Member

I don't know why Mark Beckner bothered to turn up for this session with the reporters, cynic. He wasn't giving out any information at all. I got tired of listening to him refusing, I'll try again when I have more patience. [​IMG]

8. Cherokee

Yes, there is a lot we don't know, and that is one thing I want to emphasize about Kane's interview. He stated there are "dozens" of secrets we don't know about the Ramsey case, and Steve Thomas has intimated the same thing. After digging and discussing the case for 15 years, it's easy to believe we know most of the evidence related to the case, but that's not necessarily true.

There is a reason the Ramseys were placed under that "umbrella of suspicion." Because of the evidence available to them, LE believed the Ramseys were somehow involved in JonBenet's death and the subsequent cover-up. Most, like Dr. Henry Lee, think it was a "horrific domestic accident" that was covered up for reasons known to the Ramseys; most probably, the prior molestation of JonBenet.

Almost everyone in LE in Colorado who knew the case was disgusted when Lacy's made her bogus public exoneration of the Ramseys. They couldn't believe she had the nerve to single-handedly try to remove the Ramseys from that "umbrella," especially on such a flimsy pretense. Even IF Bode Labs did discover some kind of "touch DNA" on JonBenet's long-johns, that doesn't exclude the Ramseys from being involved in her death, and certainly doesn't exclude them from the staging and cover-up. Unfortunately, the media bought the lie, and now every story about the Ramseys includes the falsehood that they have been "cleared."

In October of 2010, after Stan Garnett became the Boulder County DA, he repudiated Lacy's end-around-justice by saying that NO ONE in his office has cleared the Ramseys! Garnett, basically, put the Ramseys back under the "umbrella of suspicion," but nobody in the media was listening. According to Garnett, the Ramseys are still suspects, and the reason is the evidence in the case files; both what is known publicly and what Kane described as "dozens" of secrets.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice