"An Officer and a Gentleman" & other movie posters in Ramsey basement

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Learnin, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Learnin

Learnin Member

I was wondering how posters feel about the Officer and a Gentleman framed poster hanging on the wall in the basement? It was seen in that police video of the basement.

Did anyone notice there was a second movie poster in that messy closet where the wrapping paper was, I believe. I couldn't see which movie it was but, it was framed just like the Officer and a Gentleman poster.

Now. I don't know about you but people, who have movie posters hanging in their house, have someone living in the house who is a movie hound..buff...call it what you will. Since the ransom note included phrases similar to movies, I thought it was more than a coincidence that movie posters were hanging in the house.

We're not talking about little kid movie buffs. We're talking about adult movie buffs because An Officer and A Gentleman is an adult movie. I wonder who thought enough about that movie to hang a poster in the basement? JAR? Patsy? I think An Officer and A Gentleman would appeal more to Patsy or John than JAR.

Thoughts?

2. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

What came to my mind about that poster is that Patsy could have given it to John as a gift because he had been an officer and she probably thought of him as a gentleman. Sort of as a gag gift but nice too.

3. Learnin

Learnin Member

Good point. But there's another poster leaning up against the wall in that messy closet. Someone, I believe, was a movie buff in that house. I wonder if police know what movie it advertised?

4. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Obviously, the framed poster in the closet is turned so we can't see it, but there is another poster on the wall of the basement. It is shown after the closet door is shut and the camera moves on to the left of the closed door. It is a movie poster, and the name of the movie is "Death On the Nile." The movie was released in 1978. "An Officer and a Gentleman was released in 1982.

Attached Files:

5. Cherokee

I agree. John Andrew Ramsey was born in 1976. "An Officer and A Gentleman" was released in 1982. JAR would have only been six years old. Not his kind of movie at that age.

Neither would "Death On the Nile" be little JAR's kind of movie. It would have been Patsy's kind of movie, just like "An Officer and A Gentleman." I can't see Patsy's husband, John, getting excited enough about either movie to make sure they had a framed movie poster, but it's the kind of thing Patsy would have done to decorate the basement or spare room.

6. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Interesting thought, Learnin.

From a woman's point of view, and only a few years older than Patsy was, An Officer and a Gentleman was a really romantic movie.

But I remember that my husband--and he's not the sentimental type at all--liked the move. It was the "officer" part that appealed to him: the fighting, the service stuff...oh, he loves that fighter pilot stuff, too. Also, it had a Southern flavor if memory serves. Gosh, it's been a long time since I saw it.

You're right, though. I had favorite posters I framed when I was young, too. But they also ended up discarded, though at the dump or as a donation, etc. I doubt very much that John was the one who had these framed.

You know, I have always had an understanding of Patsy's "inner actor" because of her impressive record of VICTORY! in high school and college competitions where she won awards for her skills--even in the Miss America competition. I taught drama at the high school level when I was younger, so I know the kind of talent that took.

I think she used those acting skills to their fullest after this murder.

Of course she loved movies. And one IMPORTANT skill of a good actor: MEMORIZING LINES.

7. Learnin

Learnin Member

Ah! I saw that poster and didn't know what it was about. So, now we have three movie posters and a drop down projector screen in the parents bedroom.

8. Learnin

Learnin Member

Totally agree.

9. Learnin

Learnin Member

Couldn't have stated it better. I, too, liked An Officer and A Gentleman but my wife liked it much better. She still watches it from time to time.

10. Elle

Elle Member

Wow! Are you ever sharp, Learnin! I agree with all you're saying here, and I would put my money on Patsy too!

11. Nickii

Nickii Member

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the poster in the police-video was the sentence "The GENTLEMEN watching over your daughter do not particularly like you ..." from the ransom note.

12. Scarifier

Scarifier McHag The Third

Although I watched the video footage yesterday, I didn't make the connection in my head this morning, and when I saw the thread title I thought it was a complimentary reference to either Jim Kolar or Steve Thomas :D

13. Learnin

Learnin Member

Why thank you, Elle. Didn't think about it the first time I viewed the video but the second time around, I noticed that framed picture in the closet and thought it looked just like the frame enclosing the Officer and a Gentleman poster. Then I began thinking along these lines.

14. Cherokee

Yes, and the phrase "two gentlemen," used in the ransom note, was also used by Patsy in her spontaneous note written for investigators on May 20, 1987! This was a year and a half after JonBenet's death when the Ramseys finally agreed to be interviewed, and Patsy had tried to change her handwriting from previously known samples. It's obvious Patsy started out the spontaneous note in cursive, but she was then told she needed to stop and print the rest of it. I believe Patsy was trying to get by with writing the note in cursive because she KNEW the ransom note was printed, and she was hoping to minimize any similarities.

Patsy wrote:

"Two gentlemen from the C.B.I. are on my right."

Attached Files:

15. Cherokee

And it should be! :yes:

16. Cherokee

Someone in the Ramsey family was definitely a movie buff! In conjunction with that, it is interesting how many movies (and what parts) are quoted or used in the ransom note.

The following is taken from Analysis of the Linguistics and Handwriting in the Ramsey Ransom Note, post #7.

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6404

There is another component to this section containing the words “she dies.†As has been discussed in other analyses of the ransom note, there are phrases and ideas within it that seem to have been taken directly from three different action movies, “Dirty Harry,†“Ransom†and “Speed.†The next few sentences continue that association.

Following is a list of the various story lines and phrases from these movies which match the ransom note.

“DIRTY HARRY†–

Story Lines
    Specified denomination of bills and type of container for delivery of the ransom
    The delivery of the ransom requires extreme physical exertion
    The kidnapper employs counter-surveillance

Phrases
    "If I even think you're being followed, the girl dies."
    "If you talk to anyone, I don't care if it's a Pekinese p i s s ing against a lamppost, the girl dies."
    "... that's the end of the game. The girl dies."
    "Now listen to me carefully."
    "Now listen. Listen very carefully."
    "It sounds like you had a good rest. You'll need it."

“RANSOM†–

Story Lines
    Specified denomination of bills and type of container for delivery of the ransom
    The delivery of the ransom requires extreme physical exertion
    The child is bound with his hands placed above his head
    Duct tape is used on the child
    The child's parent is a wealthy businessman

Phrases
    "Do not involve the police or the FBI. If you do, I will kill him."
    "Do not inform the media or I will kill him."
    "No tracking devices in the money or the cases or I will kill him."

“SPEED†–

Story Lines

Phrases
    "You know that I'm on top of you. Do not attempt to grow a brain."

It is obvious the ransom note writer had seen these three movies at some time in their life. Their amateur attempt at posturing as a kidnapper made them search for ways to appear criminal in thinking.

17. Learnin

Learnin Member

Incredible! I was re--watching PMPT last weekend and I noticed the movie had movie posters hanging everywhere in that basement...I counted at least 5! Do you suppose there were even more movie posters hanging in the basement?

At any rate, the Rams were movie buffs and the ransom note was written by someone who seemed to have a thing for movies.

18. Nickii

Nickii Member

Correct! If they were no movie buffs at all, why would they have such a five-star-Television-Set installed in their master bedroom.

19. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

For what it is worth, yes, there was at least one more framed movie poster in the basement. A very early photo from the old maketoast site shows the very top of a poster from the movie Gone With The Wind, leaning on a basement wall in, I think, the train room.

20. Learnin

Learnin Member

Extremely interesting and pertinent! And to think all posters are of movies that a child would not care a lick about.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice