In-Depth Discussion of Kolar's Book "Foreign Faction: Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?"

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by koldkase, Jul 20, 2012.

1. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

From Foreign Faction: Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet Ramsey?

If you're purchasing the book, you can order here at Kolar's website and get an autographed copy.

Because Kolar begins his book by interweaving speculation, theory, and facts, which I think you can only understand and appreciate by reading it yourself, I'm going to just quote some things that I noted as significant info, from an evidentiary point of view, for me anyway.

Regarding the head blow, in the "kidnapping" scenario he creates at the beginning, Kolar writes:

From p. 15:

From p. 16:

I know TOD has been debated and this has been the general consensus on the forums, but it has always been ambiguous as far as a LE source. Maybe it's just been too long since I read the early books, but this is why I appreciate Kolar's concise revisiting of the evidence like this. He speaks from the case file information.

After completing his "kidnapping" scenario attempting to explain the evidence as the work of the Foreign Faction, Kolar changes to straight up recounting of the case as it unfolded in reality. Most of this we are all very familiar with, but through they years a lot has been disputed or forgotten, and for those who are new to the case and want to catch up, it's a very well-written summary of what happened that morning, taken from police reports, interviews, and witness statements available to Kolar.

So take or leave the following as it suits you:

P. 26:

I include this because it explains another point of view about why the BPD presence in the home wasn't considered to be a problem. Also the decision to use cell phones to prevent radio monitoring also fits with the information we have from other sources (among them, Thomas' book and John Ramsey himself in his Wolf deposition) that the BPD "borrowed" the Ramseys' cell phones that morning because the BPD said their cell phone batteries were dead, as well. (You all know my thoughts about the cell phone issues.)

Kolar details that John and Patsy both told LE, as well as others in the house that morning at various times, the doors and windows were all locked, even checked by them that morning and the night before. Kolar's information comes from police reports and interviews with those with the Ramseys that morning.

Page 36:

How many times have we seen Ramsey change this story? I include it because Ramsey has whittled his absence down to about 10 minutes at this point in his telling of the events.

Here's something we haven't heard before:

Page 37:

Arndt was left alone in the home after the ransom call did not come by 10 a.m. This led to the infamous blunder she will be remembered for, and we all know how this went. But I think it's worth remembering what led to her mistake.

Page 37:

Kolar wrote that Detective Whitson had called the FBI early that morning to assist with the kidnappinig. On p. 41 he writes that after the body had been found by John and Fleet, "...Sergeant Larry Mason arrived on the scene at 1320 hours and was accompanied by Denver FBI Supervisory Agent Ron Walker. They had learned of the discovery of JonBenet's body while meeting on the investigation at the Boulder Police Department."

Kolar writes here of John's call to arrange a flight to Atlanta that afternoon, when John said something strange:

Page 41:

We all know Ramsey's excuses about that, but later in the book it gets even stranger. Father Holverstock, the Ramseys' pastor who had been called to the home by Fernie to help calm the Ramseys early that morning, was interviewed by LE:

Page 88

Kolar has already recounted by this point that White and Arndt both said the child was cold to the touch, with the smell of death, Arndt said.

I have to stop here. Others who have the book might want to bring in the details they find important.

In particular, I want to go over chapters 5 and 6. At this point in the book, Kolar begins recounting details about the autopsy, with many revelations about Dr. Meyer's findings and actions as he determined there were prior vaginal injuries and called a meeting of an existing Boulder committee of child safety and abuse professionals to decide what to do next.

And to me, this is what we've long awaited.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012
  2. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

I had a hard time while reading this book to distinguish between what I thought might be new info and just stuff that I had forgotten about or that might have been old news. So having said that here is some info old or new it was different.

On pg. 30 "Victim Advocates arrived on scene at approximately 6:45 AM as CSIs processed the scene for latent fingerprints. They reportedly followed the CSIs around cleaning up the messy fingerprint powder and were unwittingly destroying additional trace evidence that might have been discoverable."

I had understood that many of the friends that showed up that morning were helpful Hannas who cleaned up things around the house but this is the first mention of Victim Advocates. And that they arrived so early in the morning.

3. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Again about the train tracks...they have a male end and female end and hook into each other accordingly. It's been years since I put train tracks together but that is the way they go. The book had pictures of the overlay of the marks on JB and the overlay.... Pg.386. On pg. 387 is a picture of the male end of train track after pressing on the palm of Deputy Sandoval and leaving the marks. Very clear photos.

Chief Kolar gives credit to the officer who discovered this train track idea. Sergeant Harry Stephens who had been involved in the surveillance of Past Jays (from Chapter One) called Kolar and mentioned the idea. "O" gauge style train track has 3 pins but usually the middle ones fall out. So the outside pins in the male end measure perfectly.

4. koldkase

Do I remember that Detective Whitson called those Advocates after he called the FBI that morning?

I understand mistakes were made, but really, all the people at the house already and he calls MORE over while they're trying to negotiate dealing with kidnappers to get the child back?

Yes, so much evidence was destroyed.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  5. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Henry Lee said it best..."Rice Already Cooked"...crime scene destroyed.

6. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

From the book pg. 102

"3 distinct voices were heard on the 911 tape...Proof of the Ramsey's deception was beginning to erode the foundation of he kidnapper / intruder theory in the eyes of BPD investigators, and they contemplated the questions.
    .Why would the Ramseys feel the need to mislead authorities about their son being asleep during the 911 call.

. Were they attempting to conceal information that he may have had about the circumstances of his sister's death?

Those voices at the end of the 911 tape pointed to family involvement and some type of cover-up."

So it seems that very early on the BPD was suspicious of family involvement.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  7. koldkase

Thanks for posting this.

This chapter on the 911 call is definitive. Team Ramsey will be livid.

Kolar's explains the call and that the actual 911 dispatcher was the person who first alerted LE to the "voices" on the end of the tape. She heard them FIRST HAND.

Kolar details that the enhanced 911 tape elicited numerous independent conclusions about the actual words and voices heard by Aerospace and the BPD rep who went to review the enhanced tape. As Thomas told us, they all came to the same conclusion as to what was said and the gender and age of the speakers.

Thank you, Chief Kolar. I know right now you're thinking of much more than this case, with the horrible attack in Aurora and the resulting devastating tragedy of the victims. Our hearts and prayers go out to all.

But you have put to rest a long debated piece of evidence: the enhanced 911 call is real and it's evidence that holds up: three speakers were recorded in the house on the 911 call that morning.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  8. koldkase

If we can move the detailed book discussion to this thread, I think it will be easier to follow.

Cynic posted this, and my response follows:

Another part I found brilliant is the chapter on the ransom note: Kolar confirms Thomas' evaluations and then some.

There is no question: Patsy wrote that note.

9. koldkase

Still there was plenty of evidence to use...but for Alex Hunter and Mary Lacy. They cooked the main course and ate it.

10. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

So we have definitive proof Burke was up and standing close enough to his parents for his voice to register on the phone receiver as Patsy made her 911 call.

The 911 dispatcher heard it.

The independent voice technicians heard it.

THE RAMSEYS LIED. BURKE WAS NOT ASLEEP AND/OR IN BED THROUGH EVERYTHING THAT MORNING, AS THE RAMSEYS CLAIMED. HE WAS STANDING RIGHT THERE NEXT TO THEM.

Maybe that's one reason Patsy hung up on the dispatcher so quickly, she didn't get the receiver placed correctly and the call didn't disconnect. Patsy didn't want the dispatcher to hear Burke's voice and John's reply.

11. brenk

brenk Member

Burke's sleeping? I wonder why they were so certain he was sleeping.
    I know I would check to make sure he was breathing, After all, his sister was
    missing.
    I think he did what he was told to do,, stay in bed and pretend you are sleeping.
    Even the Fernies asked how Burke could be sleeping with all commotion.
    They said he was an early riser like Doug.
    kk (kay)

12. fr brown

fr brown Member

Wasn't Burke questioned after he was whisked off to the Whites' house? The police got his grandmother's permission or something. I've always wondered what he said.

(Or do I have this completely wrong?)

13. koldkase

So you have the book and are reading it? Because I was just thinking about the section on Barbara Fernie's questions about Burke: she knew he was an early riser, as you stated, and she wondered if John was upstairs in his bathroom how he heard Patsy scream, but Burke did not?

14. koldkase

I don't remember anything about getting "his" grandmother's permission--she was in Georgia, right? But I could have just missed that or forgotten it--one thing I like about this book is Kolar goes over all the stuff we've known for years, but has gotten lost in my crowded memory when it comes to this case. (I'm not half way through, though, so still have lots to go.)

At any rate, Burke was questioned at the White's by a police officer--I think that's what I remember.

The Ramseys were incensed to learn that! He didn't have their permission! Team Ramsey has jumped on this like LE was doing something sinister. In fact, it was not illegal, as a kidnapped child is exigent circumstances and questioning Burke as a WITNESS without parental presence or permission, ow without legal representation, was not illegal.

This is a perfect example of how the Ramseys were lawyer crazy and always have given the impression of not cooperating with LE. Their child was "missing" and certainly in danger if the ransom note was in fact written by someone who had kidnapped her (not to mention by the time they were blaming LE for everything they could think of, they had already buried their brutalized and murdered child). But they're all indignant that SOMEONE FINALLY ASKED HER BROTHER QUESTIONS. He was down the hall from her room, one of three remaining WITNESSES in the house, and up to that point, NO ONE HAD ASKED BURKE ANYTHING.

Kolar reports that White said he and Burke said little to each other on the trip to White's house, including Burke asked no questions about his sister.

Anywho...I'm pretty sure that the Ramseys deliberately did not want Burke questioned--by anyone. I think he was awake and talking to John that morning at the end of Patsy's 911 call, and I am beginning to think a lot worse.

15. Elle

Elle Member

I'm beginning to think a lot worse myself Kk! It was deva vous going over all of the above. You have all done a great job on this thread. I remember reading about Burke's voice being heard. Patsy blew it! The sad thing is it didn't matter what cropped up which pointed in the Ramsey direction, it was very quickly thwarted, The Ramsey's got away with it, until now! I am wondering just how John Ramsey will deal with this latest news! (?).

16. fr brown

fr brown Member

Does Kolar say what Burke said when questioned at that time?

17. koldkase

Maybe. I haven't finished the book so I haven't read that yet, I don't think. I know Kolar goes more in depth into Burke's behaviors, etc., later, so maybe it's there?

Does anyone who has finished the book or is reading and further along know the answer to this? Zoomama? Cynic? KKay?

(Sorry, fr brown; this week has been insane for me, being pulled in many directions at once.)

18. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Here is the "deeply secluded" area that the alleged foreign faction terrorist squad supposedly used so they wouldn't be spotted. The photo was taken in 1999.

Attached Files:

• Scan.jpg
      Scan.jpg
      File size:
      180.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
  19. koldkase

Bringing this from another thread to keep the discussion of the book's details here for easier reference:

In Kolar's book, he has a couple of chapters on the autopsy. Finally we find out in more detail that Dr. Meyer found the chronic vaginal injuries troubling evidence of prior sexual abuse. He immediately called a meeting of other professionals that afternoon. Let me quote from the book:

From "Chapter Five, Cause and Manner of Death":

Continuing in "Chapter Six, Interpreting the Injuries":

20. koldkase

If you get a chance to read the book, you're going to LOVE the first chapter: Kolar writes an amazing near-movie script of the Foreign Faction's planning and attack on John Ramsey.

Thanks for the pic. Kolar also addresses the densely populated neighborhood issue.

May we add your photo to the case library, with the exterior house pictures?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice