Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BobC is offline Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript and Book Reviewer

Default The Ramsey's basement window

Am I the only one who finds it strange that the Ramseys never fixed that basement window? I'm not suggesting anything nefarious, but for god's sake they had months to fix it and it was 9 degrees on Christmas!

RiverRat is offline FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Left is Patsy Ramsey)

Cool

Nah, you are one of a kind, Bob but you are not alone with that one! Come on...that spider had all that time to spin a web all over that window!!! I hope there is more to come from these revelations than just showing me that I had that pictured all wrong in my head.

Thanks for the input back although it's hard to be talking about things of this magnitude for JonBenet even though I have no doubt that is not why John & Patsy preferred not wanna talk about that to anyone.

Sigh ~
    RR
    "Don't play dumb with me, RR! You're no good at it." The Punisher

"Although no one is anticipating a prompt resolution to this long and much-detoured case, perhaps - just perhaps - might we see one of those moments “when a chance arrow of history scores a perfect bullseye on a deserving target”? Steve Thomas 2009

"Justice hasn't had a chance so far. Anyone who doesn't have this as their prime goal, we'll have a falling out with." Fleet White - Time Magazine

"What happens is that evil comes in," Fleet says. "If you don't have truth, all you have are lies, then what comes in is evil. And evil just does its thing. In the Ramsey case, it just did its thing, and it's eaten up so many people."

BobC is offline Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript and Book Reviewer

I lived in upstate NY for a long time and it got very, very cold like Boulder. Slob or not, I would have repaired that window just so as not to freeze or waste heat. I mean Burke played down there, right? And Patsy wrapped presents down there. Also--I found it kind of weird that they'd hang posters on what was really a junk room. Am I crazy or is that odd?

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I lived in upstate NY for a long time and it got very, very cold like Boulder. Slob or not, I would have repaired that window just so as not to freeze or waste heat. I mean Burke played down there, right? And Patsy wrapped presents down there. Also--I found it kind of weird that they'd hang posters on what was really a junk room. Am I crazy or is that odd?
    No, you're not crazy. But the Ramseys...Welll....Let's just say there was a lot of dysfunction in that house.

Thanks for your photos, Bob. With all of the descriptions, it does sound as though the house was a McMansion, but it's really a cottage with an addition, nothing like a mansion. That basement was TINY. I know the type of house this is and it's not huge, but it helps to see actual photos to get perspective. The new video shows us that all the fuss about the suitcase was ridiculous and a red herring, no one would need to stand on anything to get out of that window or into it. But an adult man would have had a hard time getting in that window in the first place. Why did the window get broken and never fixed?

P.S. - Does the new video show the room where JonBenet was found? It wasn't that space that had the hot wire was it? That was too small to even place her little body! Where was that room?
    "We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." - C.S. Lewis

MY OPINIONS - DO NOT COPY THEM ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET!

I hear ya about not wasting heat, but remember JR also saying it used to get so hot down there in the train room because of the furnace that they used to open the window?'

I wondered for awhile if they had hot water heat like the old radiators, but I kept hearing about a furnace, not a boiler, so who knows?
    It's probably too late to get justice for JonBenét. Maybe it always was. But knowing where things went wrong is the first step to not going there again. **-- Alan Prendergast-Dec 21, 2006--**

Hey Mom!

Yeah--the house was so small to my way of thinking that I didn't think we were at the right house for a second. Look at the photo of me on the front porch--my shoulders were almost as wide at the doorway! I wonder if they constructed homes in the 20's in such a way as to save heat.

Hey Moab! I don't recall that stuff about it getting so hot down there but I'm sure you're right. But still--what about rats and squirrels coming in? Miss Patsy didn't strike me as the type of woman that wanted to share her home with rodents. Or snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Moab View Post
    I hear ya about not wasting heat, but remember JR also saying it used to get so hot down there in the train room because of the furnace that they used to open the window?'

I wondered for awhile if they had hot water heat like the old radiators, but I kept hearing about a furnace, not a boiler, so who knows?
    You know, the only way that makes sense is if the vents in that area were always open. A furnace doesn't heat up the rooms it's near or in unless there are ducts and vents - all the heat goes into the ductwork to heat the house. And if the vents were fixed open, OK, then it would get hot but you can get covers for those.

Bob, the sizes of the houses back in the '20's and 30's were smaller because people had less STUFF! There just wasn't the need for more space, heated or not.
    "We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." - C.S. Lewis

I never thought of that. Good point. Can you tell I'm obsessed with not wasting energy?

I never thought of that. Good point. Can you tell I'm obsessed with not wasting energy?
    Aren't we all. I live in the WORLD'S most air-conditioned city! If it weren't for artificially dried and cooled air, this place would still be a swamp, and some days, I wish it had stayed that way!

Up until Bob's photos Moab, I was always under the impression this was a very big house. Wasn't this house on display in 1996 for some reason with the Boulder Historical Society?
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

Hey Moab! I don't recall that stuff about it getting so hot down there but I'm sure you're right. But still--what about rats and squirrels coming in? Miss Patsy didn't strike me as the type of woman that wanted to share her home with rodents. Or snakes.
    It was the St interview with JR in April '97
    ST: Is there any reason that window went unrepaired?
    JR: No. I mean it’s, Patsy usually took care of those things, and I just rarely went to the basement, so it just, I guess, got overlooked. Although she did think that she asked the cleaning lady’s husband to fix it over Thanksgiving when they were doing some repair work there, but I don’t know if that’s ever been confirmed whether he fixed it or not.
    ST: And you mentioned when you went down in the morning, the 26th, and it was unlatched, did that strike you as odd or did you bring that to anybody’s attention?
    JR: I, I don’t know. I mean when I was, I think, yeah, I think it probably struck me as a little odd, but it wasn’t, I mean sometimes that window would be open because the basement got hot, or one of those windows would be opened. So it wasn’t . . .
    ST: Particularly unusual?

- - - - - - -
    I agree Bob on critters getting in there, especially as cold as it was, and no, LOL, I can't see Patsy wanting to share with a snake or rat, or mouse or possum
    It's probably too late to get justice for JonBenét. Maybe it always was. But knowing where things went wrong is the first step to not going there again. **-- Alan Prendergast-Dec 21, 2006--**

I am so far behind on reading these threads, but I do want to put my two cents in on the broken window in the basement.

I live in snow country in WNY, and I know if basement windows get broken in this part of the country, it is guaranteed that water pipes would freeze and the basement would be very cold. Even the laziest person on earth would at least cover the window with wood or plastic to keep the cold air out as much as possible until they could get it replaced.

JR's explanation why the window wasn't fixed is nothing but a fairy tale.
    Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry,
    the philosophy which does not laugh,
    and the greatness which does not bow before children.

---Kahlil Gibran---