The Ramsey's basement window

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by BobC, Jul 22, 2012.

1. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Am I the only one who finds it strange that the Ramseys never fixed that basement window? I'm not suggesting anything nefarious, but for god's sake they had months to fix it and it was 9 degrees on Christmas!

2. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Nah, you are one of a kind, Bob but you are not alone with that one! Come on...that spider had all that time to spin a web all over that window!!! I hope there is more to come from these revelations than just showing me that I had that pictured all wrong in my head.

Thanks for the input back although it's hard to be talking about things of this magnitude for JonBenet even though I have no doubt that is not why John & Patsy preferred not wanna talk about that to anyone.

Sigh ~
    RR

3. BobC

I lived in upstate NY for a long time and it got very, very cold like Boulder. Slob or not, I would have repaired that window just so as not to freeze or waste heat. I mean Burke played down there, right? And Patsy wrapped presents down there. Also--I found it kind of weird that they'd hang posters on what was really a junk room. Am I crazy or is that odd?

4. heymom

heymom Member

No, you're not crazy. But the Ramseys...Welll....Let's just say there was a lot of dysfunction in that house.

Thanks for your photos, Bob. With all of the descriptions, it does sound as though the house was a McMansion, but it's really a cottage with an addition, nothing like a mansion. That basement was TINY. I know the type of house this is and it's not huge, but it helps to see actual photos to get perspective. The new video shows us that all the fuss about the suitcase was ridiculous and a red herring, no one would need to stand on anything to get out of that window or into it. But an adult man would have had a hard time getting in that window in the first place. Why did the window get broken and never fixed?

P.S. - Does the new video show the room where JonBenet was found? It wasn't that space that had the hot wire was it? That was too small to even place her little body! Where was that room?

5. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

I hear ya about not wasting heat, but remember JR also saying it used to get so hot down there in the train room because of the furnace that they used to open the window?'

I wondered for awhile if they had hot water heat like the old radiators, but I kept hearing about a furnace, not a boiler, so who knows?

6. BobC

Hey Mom!

Yeah--the house was so small to my way of thinking that I didn't think we were at the right house for a second. Look at the photo of me on the front porch--my shoulders were almost as wide at the doorway! I wonder if they constructed homes in the 20's in such a way as to save heat.

Hey Moab! I don't recall that stuff about it getting so hot down there but I'm sure you're right. But still--what about rats and squirrels coming in? Miss Patsy didn't strike me as the type of woman that wanted to share her home with rodents. Or snakes.

7. heymom

heymom Member

You know, the only way that makes sense is if the vents in that area were always open. A furnace doesn't heat up the rooms it's near or in unless there are ducts and vents - all the heat goes into the ductwork to heat the house. And if the vents were fixed open, OK, then it would get hot but you can get covers for those.

Bob, the sizes of the houses back in the '20's and 30's were smaller because people had less STUFF! There just wasn't the need for more space, heated or not.

8. BobC

I never thought of that. Good point. Can you tell I'm obsessed with not wasting energy?

9. heymom

heymom Member

Aren't we all. I live in the WORLD'S most air-conditioned city! If it weren't for artificially dried and cooled air, this place would still be a swamp, and some days, I wish it had stayed that way! :rolling:

10. Elle

Elle Member

Up until Bob's photos Moab, I was always under the impression this was a very big house. Wasn't this house on display in 1996 for some reason with the Boulder Historical Society?

11. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

It was the St interview with JR in April '97
    [FONT=&quot]ST: Is there any reason that window went unrepaired?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]JR: No. I mean it’s, Patsy usually took care of those things, and I just rarely went to the basement, so it just, I guess, got overlooked. Although she did think that she asked the cleaning lady’s husband to fix it over Thanksgiving when they were doing some repair work there, but I don’t know if that’s ever been confirmed whether he fixed it or not.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]ST: And you mentioned when you went down in the morning, the 26<sup>th</sup>, and it was unlatched, did that strike you as odd or did you bring that to anybody’s attention?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]JR: I, I don’t know. I mean when I was, I think, yeah, I think it probably struck me as a little odd, but it wasn’t, I mean sometimes that window would be open because the basement got hot, or one of those windows would be opened. So it wasn’t . . .[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]ST: Particularly unusual?

- - - - - - -
    I agree Bob on critters getting in there, especially as cold as it was, and no, LOL, I can't see Patsy wanting to share with a snake or rat, or mouse or possum :)
    [/FONT]

12. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

I am so far behind on reading these threads, but I do want to put my two cents in on the broken window in the basement.

I live in snow country in WNY, and I know if basement windows get broken in this part of the country, it is guaranteed that water pipes would freeze and the basement would be very cold. Even the laziest person on earth would at least cover the window with wood or plastic to keep the cold air out as much as possible until they could get it replaced.

JR's explanation why the window wasn't fixed is nothing but a fairy tale.

13. BobC

Hi WY!!

That was my take as well. Besides the cold and possible critter infestation, would rain also get in? It's not like this window is a big issue or anything, but it just struck me as a bit odd.

14. Watching You

Hey, Bob. In a good rainstorm (or snowstorm), yes, the rain and snow could get in. Did I ever tell you that I've had experience going through a basement window when I locked myself out of the house? I didn't have to break the window, because it wasn't locked, but I can tell you I was one dirty piglet when I was done, because the window well was full of dirt and bugs and cobwebs galore that got into my hair and all over me. Furthermore, I was scraped from rubbing against the rough surfaces of the concrete as I went through the window opening. I looked as if I had done battle with someone and lost - even my hair was yanked out, and I left enough DNA to prove I'd been there. There were even nails I scraped myself on. Trust me - no intruder went through Ramseys' basement window that night.

15. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Gosh, thanks for this first person account of how ridiculous it would be for anyone to believe an intruder went through that window without leaving all you did: clothing fibers, hair, tissue and blood.

It's good to see you posting again, WY. I was worried a bear had dragged you off. Of course I was feeling sorry for the bear. :toast:

16. Learnin

Learnin Member

From the first moment I read about John's basement window story, I thought it was a bunch of garbage. If I so much as leave my door cracked, in the fall for 15 minutes, I will have a house full of mice. Then I took a look at the video on DB, saw the pig sty of a basement, and started second guessing my first impressions. Still, as messy as they were, would they have endured an infestation of rodents?

17. heymom

heymom Member

Boulder doesn't get a whole lot of rain, even in the spring and summer, it would be just intermittent showers. But normal people would have at least boarded it up until it could be repaired. However the Ramsey household doesn't seem to have included any normal people, except perhaps dear little JonBenet.

18. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Wy IT SO GREAT TO SEE YOU

19. Watching You

Funny you should mention bears, KK. We now have the distinction of having the only "Watch for bear crossings" signs on our road. Haven't seen any bears, lately, but I did tell you the story about the priest who was jogging on the river trail near the university a few years ago, didn't I? He saw ahead of him a group of students who were jogging toward him. They were gesturing to him, waving their arms, etc, when they turned around and went the opposite direction. He turned around to look at what they might have been warning him about, and there was a bear jogging along behind him.

I ordered a copy of this book. Am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

20. Watching You

Hi Sweetheart. I miss all of you and especially think about you often and wish I had more time to spend on the forum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice