Child of Rage

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by BobC, Aug 23, 2012.

1. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

2. Elle

Elle Member

Oh Bob, I have never seen anything so frightening as watching and listening to what this young girl Beth had to say when she was asked what she would do to her younger brother with the end result of torturing him being to "kill him". Never in all my life have I ever watched anything like this. This is frightening to know we may have many young children out there not getting proper treatment for being so evil as a result of being abused by a birth parent.

We should all have been informed about children like this long ago, but it was probably hidden. I do know when a new baby comes into the house, one has to be very careful of toddlers not being left alone with a new baby, because they are curious and can harm a tiny baby, but not realize what they are doing, but a little baby wouldn't have a chance with older children like Beth who was abused by her birth father.

Thank you for enlightening me, Bob!

3. heymom

heymom Member

I don't know, but this little girl has pat answers for the psychiatrist's question about her birth father. She was only 19 mos. old when she was adopted, and says the abuse was happening when she was 1. Does she really remember it so clearly? I am not saying that it can't happen, or that it won't cause damage to the child. But I do wonder at putting these children in front of questions such as those the psychiatrist is asking. It seems as though he is almost encouraging her to answer in a certain way. She could well be psychopathic but not have the reasons for that condition, KWIM?

4. BobC

Elle--back in the early 90's I worked at a residential treatment center for emotionally disturbed kids and I saw cases that you would not believe. The simple truth of the matter is that your average person out there couldn't handle what really goes on. I am talking about 6 month old girls getting raped, parents shooting themselves in front of their children, parents starving their children, and things of that nature. I grew up really fast in that job.

Several things struck me about this documentary.

One, the statement by the woman who was running the treatment center saying she had kids who were 9 years old who killed siblings, and how you wouldn't think that was possible. Well, it is possible.

Two, the parents thought the little boy had some sort of digestive medical problem because he constantly had stomach aches. In reality the girl was constantly punching him in the stomach. The boy was too young to know how to really communicate what was going on to his parents, so they were in the dark.

Then I thought about JBR going to the doctor dozens of times in a three year period.

Then I thought Kolar was really hot to get Burke's psychiatric/medical records, and JBR's as well.

Most families have secrets but some are darker than others'.

5. BobC

Heymom--I can tell you from working with kids like this it can and does happen to kids that age. The situation that they described about finding the boy with a flattened head, starving, dirty diaper etc is one that I saw several times. You read these case histories and you cannot believe what goes on. It is most likely that when these kids were taken from that horrible home, they were given physicals and the signs of severe sexual abuse were there. From there the kids are often given therapy and told about what happened to them so that they can come to understand that what happened to them was wrong and the cause of their intense rage.

We had one girl, I'll call her Kat, who was 12 YO when we got her. She had almost no hair on her head because she'd pulled most of it out during what we called "rituals" ( a repeated destructive behavior that shows extreme anxiety). You couldn't stop her. She was also relentlessly sexual. One day I caught all of my boys gawking out a window and when I went to investigate, I saw Kat outside that window with no shirt on. She was putting on a show because she learned early on that this was "normal." I later learned her single mother had several garbage boyfriends and she allowed them to have sex with Kat. I don't recall the earliest rape age, but it was something like 4 years old.

6. heymom

heymom Member

Oh, Bob, I know it happens to little children!! It is horrible what human beings can do to their own children.

I only meant that the interview with the psychiatrist seems to be leading her into certain answers, and I do wonder if she can actually remember what happened to her at age 1. If all of the abuse is documented, then I would say much LATER on, she could be told, but how can they tell a little girl these things and her not have any context for what happened? Her little brain is not even able to absorb the meaning of it.

I just remember the cases where children were supposedly being tortured in Satanic rituals by their daycare providers, and all of the reports were false - the events had never happened and it was the questioners who were leading the children to say what they did...They didn't even understand what they were saying and what the ramifications were, they were just telling the story they were being led to tell. People were put in prison for that, and the mythology said that children never lie, but they sure do, and they can also be led to say just about anything by adults.

Again, I am NOT saying that this "Beth" girl has not been abused, please don't misunderstand me. Only that the interview seems to be leading her. If you watch Part 2, the doctor asks her about some baby birds that she supposedly killed. She doesn't really seem to remember but then he coaches her, "It's all right, you're doing fine. Do you know what you mom told me? That you killed the baby birds. Did you squeeze the birds?" Well, she parrots back, "Yes I squeezed the baby birds." Even though she didn't remember doing that 2 minutes before.

Edited to add: This girl did get therapy in COLORADO....hmmmmm

7. BobC

There have definitely been therapists who plant suggestions in kids' minds, but I don't think this was one of those times. I despise those "do-gooders" who want every parent to be a molester, every man to be a rapist, etc.

I don't think this is one of those. The therapist is obviously just recounting to her what her parents had already told him--and he is trying assess her threat level and whether or not she needs to be institutionalized. I think he made the first choice.

We had, I'd guess, about 60 kids at our facility and if you read the case files, you will learn that virtually all of the ED kids were products of a highly unstable home life, usually with molestation going on. Boys will rarely talk about it. We had one boy who clearly had something organically wrong with his brain--he'd been an uncontrollable fire starter since age two--but all the rest were products of their environment. Most of the cases I saw did not involve a father, but instead boyfriends of the mother.

8. Elle

Elle Member

I don't know how you handled it all, Bob. You are right when you say
    an average person out there couldn't handle what really goes on. I couldn't! It takes a very special trained person to be able to handle this.
    Ordinary home emergencies with my own family I can handle, and that's it!

I'm sorry you were confronted with such traumatic incidents. I think this would be enough to make a person permanently ill. Too much is being held back from the public. It's good this information is now out there to shock the whole lot of us into demanding drastic measures be taken to stop it!

Not everyone will be able to handle this information Bob. I know you know that! I for one am more than glad that you enlightened me in my Senior years. My husband read it too, and he was shocked.

Truthfully, I am handling this in small doses!

9. BobC

Elle--it never occurred to me to abandon these kids or be put off by it. We had several great success stories. These kids just needed a sane, stable home life. I still occasionally have those kids e-mailing me, which is the biggest reward I can ever get.

I am really surprised that more FFJ posters are not reading between the lines of my original post.

10. Elle

Elle Member

For sure you can hold your head up Bob, and be proud you had the courage to help these children when they needed to put their trust in someone after the bad treatment they went through at home, or elsewhere. It is good to hear these children, probably adults now, keep in touch with you. This is a reward in itself, Bob.

I feel more help relating to these abused children should come from your government, and it all should be brought out into the open so there is more understanding shown towards the children to allow them to get back on track and live a normal life.

11. heymom

heymom Member

Oh I can see that you are drawing a parallel between this little girl and Burke. And in fact, I think Chief Kolar may have drawn the same conclusion - that Burke was one of those children of rage. Without a conscience. That he did molest and finally kill his sister. I wonder about it too. This little girl, Beth Thomas, did get therapy and she did finally learn right from wrong. When they asked her in Part 3, about what she had done to her brother, she started to cry, exactly as she should, feeling bad and guilty about what she had done. And I know Burke was in treatment after JonBenet's death - and maybe before. So perhaps he also improved with treatment. I hope that he did.

12. Learnin

Learnin Member

Wow! I see what you're referring to. This little girl's private parts were, as she describes them, raw from rubbing herself....she was abused and she abused herself...thereby causing vaginal irritation, etc....

Wow!

13. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

Bob, I see your connection. It makes me re-evaluate a lot of things about Burke. I have a feeling he was a very troubled young child with lots of rage issues.

You know what I keep seeing - those images of him at JonBenet's funeral - dressed in a pair of pants that don't fit him, walking by himself as John and Patsy comfort each other. Almost as if they couldn't stand to be near him at that point. Makes you wonder.

14. BobC

I'm not so sure I'd go so far as to say this type of behavior seems like Burke, but there are a lot of flags. The Ramseys guarded his and JBR's medical records fiercely, and that struck me as odd since the police could not release that information to the public even if they were the conspiratorial, drooling thugs the Ramseys so effectively painted them as.

I mean, If either of those kids just had a case of strep throat or a few bouts with the flu, what's the big deal? In fact, revealing that kind of ordinary stuff would certainly point towards no "dark secrets" in the home.

15. heymom

heymom Member

I was thinking about this documentary before I went to sleep last night. The title is so wrong - Beth Thomas was not full of rage. She did not commit violence in rage. She had very little emotion at all. All during the interview with Dr. Magid (who has written books about psycho and sociopaths) her affect was flat. Sociopaths do not commit their crimes out of a high emotion such as rage. They really do not care enough about their victims to respond in emotion. The term, "cold-blooded killer" is very appropriate.

In fact, almost the only display of any emotion at all comes in the first few minutes of the video, as the doctor asks her if people are afraid of her. Her eyes light up and she smiles as she tells him that her brother, John, is indeed, afraid of her. At 0:41 if you pause the video you see almost a delighted expression on her face as she considers that her brother is scared of her. This is one of the most frightening parts of the video to me, because it shows that her responses are completely twisted. If this little girl hadn't gotten treatment, she would have undoubtedly become a serial killer.

16. heymom

heymom Member

She has the wrong name for her outer physical parts. It is the vulva that would be injured, unless she really did stick objects or her fingers into her own vagina. But evidently she did rub her vulva until it was raw and injured.

Very sad.

17. heymom

heymom Member

And again, he had the wrong affect - at the funeral, he was giggling and talking to his friend, not somber and aware that his sister's body was going to be buried that morning. I guess at one point, he went over and patted JonBenet's coffin before it was put in the ground, but that was it as far as acknowledging what was going on.

18. BobC

Well, in his defense, Burke was really young and by all accounts very withdrawn.

19. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

I don't know that I consider nine years old to be too young to comprehend the sorrow of a little sister's death. I'm not necessarily "grading" Burke on his reactions but I do believe that nine year olds are old enough to understand sadness and grief all around them and to realize something is very wrong when little sister is lying in a coffin about to be lowered into the ground. They may not fully comprehend the permanence of death but I do think they get the sadness, on some level.

Really, though, I consider John and Patsy's reactions to Burke more telling. I do know that grief is, in some respects, a very private journey but for image conscious Patsy not to come near or comfort her young son just seemed to odd. That added to the fact that it looked like he dressed himself, with no one bothering to make sure he would look presentable, just seems a bit off.

I wouldn't take those observations to court but, in coming to the BDI position, I begin to understand some of that oddity a bit better.

20. heymom

heymom Member

My mother died when I was 10. At first, I didn't understand very well, but as the days went by, especially after we viewed my mother's body in the coffin, I did "get it." It was terrible when I truly realized that she wasn't coming back. My mother had been chronically ill for my whole childhood and like other children, I just accepted that as normal, as something every mother did, going to the hospital on a frequent basis.

As for John and Patsy, I cannot imagine not clinging to my remaining child at the funeral and burial of my beloved younger child. But then my sons, either of them, would have been bereft at losing their brother. The whole picture is just askew when it comes to the Ramseys, especially Burke. It's making more and more sense that they wanted him OUT of the house ASAP that morning, before LE could question him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice