Umbrella of Suspicion: Investigating the death of JonBenet Ramsey

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by cynic, Sep 30, 2012.

1. cynic

cynic Member

Yet another book on the case, it's difficult to tell from the table of contents what the direction of the book is.

Umbrella of Suspicion: Investigating the death of JonBenet Ramsey
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0615671276/ref=rdr_ext_tmb#_
    Publication Date: August 22, 2012
    Paperback: 290 pages
    Author: John W. Taylor
    Publisher: John W. Taylor (August 22, 2012)
    Description:
    JonBenét Ramsey, a six year-old girl, was found brutally murdered in her home on December 26, 1996 in Boulder, Colorado. There were no signs of forced entry. Her parents, John and Patsy Ramsey, refused to cooperate with the police and responded by hiring attorneys and conducting television interviews. On the other side, the Boulder Police Department and District Attorney’s Office drove an investigation fraught with infighting and confusion. Along the way, the truth escaped. Umbrella of Suspicion unravels many of the mysteries and questions surrounding the death of JonBenét Ramsey.
    About the Author:
    John W. Taylor is a former Special Agent with the U.S. Secret Service. He founded Tiarta L.L.C., a financial research firm, which uncovered inconsistent and deceptive corporate communications. John's interest in abnormal psychology and the darker side of human nature has led him to conduct extensive research into numerous unsolved crimes. He currently works in finance and resides in Fairfax, Virginia.

[​IMG]

2. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you for updating us with this book, cynic. What are we in store for, I wonder, when I read John Taylor's interest in abnormal psychology and the darker side of human nature has led him to conduct extensive research into numerous unsolved crimes (?).

3. Karen

Karen Member

Thank you cynic! I'm ordering this today.

4. heymom

heymom Member

Be sure to give us a thorough review, Karen! I can't tell what the slant is from reading the blurb or the single posted review on Amazon. P.S. - it is self-published, so goodness only knows what kind of quality it is.

5. otg

otg Member

6. wombat

wombat Member

Meh. From reading the pages available, the book seems to just be a long essay with no new information, as far as I can tell. We have better stuff right here.

7. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

I read the available pages on Amazon, as well. The author seems to be intelligently addressing the case issues, I'll give him that. I found his description of the actions of the Ramseys after the murder interesting and accurately portrayed.

I agree with you, wombat, that for those of us so familiar with the case, there's not going to be anything new, other than his viewpoint based upon his life experiences, etc.

But he has as much right as anyone to write and publish, so more power to him.

As for me, I'm contemplating re-reading the major case books again. I found something in Thomas' book I have no recollection of whatsoever, though I have seen vague references to it through the years. JonBenet was seeing a therapist before her death. And that therapist refused to talk to LE.

And this HAS to be what Kolar was referring to in his book: JB, and now I'm convinced Burke, as well, was in therapy before the murder.

But LE never got those professional medical assessments after the child was brutally killed in her own home, with the only three viable suspects ever identified right there with her.

I guess I should put this on the Sexual Behavior Problems thread. Yeah, I will.

AFTER I HAVE ANOTHER COMPLETE MELTDOWN, ALEX HUNTER, YOU SORRY, PATHETIC, DISGUSTING, SCUM-SUCKING, CORRUPT BASTID! :hopmad::curses:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  8. wombat

wombat Member

From KoldKase:

REALLY?

(runs to bookcases, will see you all over at Sexual Behavior Problem thread)

9. heymom

heymom Member

I agree, KK. There's so much I could write...

10. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

My sentiments exactly.

11. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

I agree with all of you so far. I too read the available pages and kept waiting for SOMETHING to pop up and hit me between the eyes, so to speak. It was a retelling of what we know so far. I guess. There was a chapter titled "The Black Swan" that I went to look for just because of the title and wondered what it held for the reader. Couldn't find that particular chapter but then it was late and my eyes were crossing so I quit.

I wonder what prompted this author to write his book? He is former Secret Service. Hmmm. The psych angle to the Ramsey children is getting more play these days and I guess this is where he is leading the reader. But without medical or Therapy records it is mostly guess work now. If those records exist now it would be very interesting to read them.

Ok just went to check on that chapter again and it all about the DNA results. Also the author is now a retired Secret Service agent and now is a financial advisor but has an interest in the darker side of abnormal psychology. Ok!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  12. koldkase

I always like to read other points of view on this case, especially if they come from someone with intelligence and other life experiences to give us another perspective.

I think someone who has a background in abnormal psychology might be just the person to help us now. Clearly there was a lot of abnormal psychology going on in the Ramsey house.

13. heymom

heymom Member

Well, I have on-the-job training...

:floor:

14. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

If you know the story of the ballet "Swan Lake", the innocent White Swan Odette had an evil twin- Odile, the Black Swan. She was lustful, seductive and violent- the very opposite of her innocent, sweet, pure sister.
    I haven't read the book in question, but I suppose that interestingly-titled chapter could refer to a "twin personality" (Patsy's) that came out sometimes.

15. heymom

heymom Member

Maybe, but there's also a book out titled, "The Black Swan," which is sort of an Occam's Razor theory - the simplest explanation to a problem is probably the correct one. At least that's what I *think* it's about, according to my son.

16. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Dee Dee and Hey Mom, Very interesting suggestions about the chapter title "The Black Swan".

17. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you DeeDee for this information. I agree with you about Patsy maybe having a "twin Personality". As I recently watched the youtube I posted, she turns into "The Wicked Witch of the West" while going through her interview with Tom Haney, slapping her thigh on a regular basis which made a loud noise. I was expecting her to jump out of the chair and bop him one. This was a different Patsy Ramsey from the one we all know.

18. koldkase

:rolling:

It is a bit of a catch-all label, isn't it?

19. koldkase

So maybe this is the allusion to "Black Swan" which DeeDee brings up? Sounds like genetics to me.

20. Elle

Elle Member

I'm intrigued, Karen. I'm ordering it too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice