Sometimes people cover up bad things to protect someone's good name, sound familiar?

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Cherokee, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

http://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/Perversion-files-show-locals-helped-cover-up-3960532.php

"Perversion files" show locals helped cover up

NIGEL DUARA, Associated Press
    Thursday, October 18, 2012

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Again and again, decade after decade, an array of authorities — police chiefs, prosecutors, pastors and local Boy Scout leaders among them — quietly shielded scoutmasters and others accused of molesting children, a newly opened trove of confidential papers shows.

At the time, those authorities justified their actions as necessary to protect the good name and good works of Scouting, a pillar of 20th century America. But as detailed in 14,500 pages of secret "perversion files" released Thursday by order of the Oregon Supreme Court, their maneuvers allowed sexual predators to go free while victims suffered in silence.

[snip]

In many instances — more than a third, according to the Scouts' own count — police weren't told about the reports of abuse. And even when they were, sometimes local law enforcement still did nothing, seeking to protect the name of Scouting over their victims.

Victims like three brothers, growing up in northeast Louisiana.

On the afternoon of Aug. 10, 1965, their distraught mother walked into the third floor of the Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Office. A 31-year-old scoutmaster, she told the chief criminal deputy, had raped one of her sons and molested two others.

Six days later, the scoutmaster, an unemployed airplane mechanic, sat down in front of a microphone in the same station, said he understood his rights and confessed: He had sexually abused the woman's sons more than once.

"I don't know how to tell it," the man told a sheriff's deputy. "They just occurred — I don't know an explanation, why we done it or I done it or wanted to do it or anything else it just — an impulse I guess or something.

"As far as an explanation I just couldn't dig one up."

He wouldn't have to. Seven days later, the decision was made not to pursue charges against the scoutmaster.

The last sliver of hope for justice for the abuse of two teenagers and an 11-year-old boy slipped away in a confidential letter from a Louisiana Scouts executive to the organization's national personnel division in New Jersey.

"This subject and Scouts were not prosecuted," the executive wrote, "to save the name of Scouting."

[snip - read rest of article at link provided above]

2. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

"TO SAVE THE NAME OF SCOUTING". What in heaven's name is going on in the world. This all began as far back as 1965. Oh yuck and then some. And for sure we have to protect our good scout leaders. This just makes me sick! :puke:

3. Elle

Elle Member

One has to wonder Cherokee and zoomama, as to how these people
    who kept their mouths shut while all of this molesting was going on with these children, can get up each morning and get through the day without giving one thought to the children they allowed to be sexually molested. May their Karma catch up with them and pay them back a.s.a.p.

4. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

This is so astonishing, so heartbreaking.

These predators not only got away with what they did to these known victims, but we know from research they molest scores of children, if not hundreds, in their lives.

Anyone who thinks this is a thing of the past for the Boy Scouts is dreaming. This has been an open secret as long as I can remember. Like priests who are molesters protected by their liability to the org., one must ask where is the "good Christian" when these innocents are being abused by the PERV and then RE-VICTIMIZED by the system?

Yes, Chero, this is exactly the mentality at work in the JB murder case, IMO.

5. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

I agree - it is sickening!

6. heymom

heymom Member

7. Elle

Elle Member

I'm wondering if they will publish their names in the local newspapers, Cherokee(?). Many families will be devastated!

8. Learnin

Learnin Member

This type of thing is covered up in families, religious organizations and any place where adults have access to children...been covered up for years and is still being covered up. Most likely, this is what has been covered up in the JBR case.

9. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

And that was exactly my point.

Alex Hunter, and others, who helped cover up what really happened to JonBenet, did so with the same "good" intentions as the Boy Scout brass. They wanted to save the Ramseys, particularly (almost 10-year-old) Burke, and the good Ramsey name. I'm sure, just like the the people who covered up the Boy Scout molestations, they felt their actions were justified.

It is never justified.

10. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

:star::star::star:

11. Learnin

Learnin Member

Point well taken. Even at Penn State. "Well, if we blow the whistle on Sandusky, this is going to cause scandal and sully the good name of Penn State."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice