Oh GOD - Michael Tracey is back again

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by BobC, May 6, 2002.

1. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Michael Tracey is back again, unfortunately, and is threatening to write a book on the Ramseys. Mrs. Brady was good enough to post a link to his latest whine fest and here it is:

http://www.thedailycamera.com/extra/ramsey/2002/06lrams.html

As a person who had the unenviable privilege of sitting next to this hambone at the Hungry Toad Inn while eavesdropping on his pompous and irritating blather, I can assure you he's even more irritating in person. Pompous doesn't even begin to describe him. Maybe it's the annoying accent. Or maybe I was just terrified he might nip me. Anyway...

2. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Exactly what this world needs

another JBR book, especially one with a Ramsey slant. Apparently Michael Tracey hasn't gotten the shot to his ego he so desperately needs from his crockumentaries, so he's going to try writing about the case. The same people who wouldn't watch his biased crocks won't buy his book, either.

3. BobC

No publisher

Nobody's going to publish that crap.

I am quite pleased with myself for resisting the impulse of making any references to carrots, rabbits, or even sabre tooth tigers. I am the Poster of the Year or maybe even of the Eon.

4. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

"If there's one thing that fascinates me, it's why so many people absolutely hate the Ramseys," he said.

Hmmmmmmmmm Dick Tracy.....Do you think we despise the Ramsey's because PATSY KILLED JON BENET AND JOHN COULD GIVE A RATSASS???????????????????

DO YA THINK EINSTEIN ???

This is so vile. What a total idiot.

Yes Bob you are Poster of the Eon...

5. BobC

Poster of the Eon is a title I most richly deserve. It's long overdue.

6. Vic

Vic Active Member

Oh, God!

You mean you have a real, in person, eavesdropping conversation and you've never told every detail???? So what does a "distinguished" professor wear? Eat? Did he floss afterward? Do tell.

PS - I meant to say Oh, BobC - not Oh, God! But whatever!

7. BobC

Hey Vic

To be honest I don't remember the details because I couldn't stand to listen to him for more than ten minutes or so. I went to the Hungry Toad the day before with two of my friends and asked the waitress who waited on us if she knew him. At first she acted suspicious--but after a while she opened up and revealed that he "really liked himself" and I got the distinct impression she didn't care for him. She also told me when he usually came in, so the next day I decided to pop in to see if he'd show up. To my horror, his wide behind was already perched precariously on a bar stool ! At first I was struck mute by his amazing 70's, pimpadelic hairstyle! I had to fight back the urge to bellow "GOOD GOD THE 70's WERE OVER WHEN I WAS STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL!!"

Anyway, I sat down and listened to him blather on and on, but eventually I realized that actually striking up a conversation with him would have been far beneath my personal dignity threshold. Frankly I couldn't be bothered.

I wish I had a better story to tell...

8. Vic

Vic Active Member

too, too funny!

Do you think this guy has anyone attending his classes? I mean, really, people can only take so much of the "nutty professor" type and then they are just plain annoyingly weird....

You know, it just gives me goosebumps to think of Patsy gettin' all southern belle chatting with him. Icky icky icky.

Speaking of - does anyone else think Patsy needs to donate her body to science -NOW!? Hey, she's apparently beat the big C twice now and in record time. Wouldn't somebody think that's worth an extry blood test or two, check and see what she eats, drinks, been bitten by a poisionous spider - whatever... Or is that just me?

BobC, how's the puppy doing?

9. Camper

Camper Banned

Huh?

What puppy? I am always so behind on stuff.

One more huh here, how did pr and Tracey ever connect in the first place?

Thankew.

Bob, so how is the puppy doing, huh, er? What kind, what color, name, just a few details keep me happy for quite some time.

Side note, I now know how to find the Pearl Street Mall, while 'I' am driving. So I am getting acquainted with the streets somewhat in Boulder. If this post don't fit here, move me somewhere more appropriate. Thankew.

10. fly

fly Member

could be interesting

Actually, I think the book could be interesting, especially if done from a fairly objective viewpoint (which probably will be tough for Tracey). He'll find a publisher, I bet.

He apparently plans to discuss the information in the press and compare that to what is known today, and that is a very legitimate project. Of course, it's also going to be difficult to accomplish. After all, we don't really know what the true facts are, and probably won't until either the case files are completely opened or there is a trial.

Certainly there is a lot of potentially interesting fodder from the internet aspect - both proRam and antiRam camps.

For those of you who don't venture "over yonder," you might be interested to know that jameson has indicated she doesn't want to be included in the book, and would prefer to have the cybersleuth aspect deep six-ed so that the "flamers" wouldn't get exposure.

11. Watching You

I thought jameson's

reaction was interesting, too, Fly. She has always been a huge fan of Michael Tracey, obviously because of his bias toward the Ramseys. Now she says she hopes he "gets it right" - IOW, gets it right according to her. Could that be jameson's guilty conscience talking? Could it be all those skeletons in her own forum history that she doesn't want exposed? (that was a snicker you heard, *grin*). She would like the book written according to her own skewed and inflated perception of herself, not the way it really was. The fact that she has been one of the most - shall we say - "colorful" characters in the forum world makes her fodder for any book being written about the internet.

Tracey's the academic type - I suspect any book he writes about the internet would not be very entertaining. But, then, I've been wrong before. Once or twice.

12. BobC

I posted a reply this morning about my new Lab puppy--but it's gone! Wierd! Anyway BooBoo had hip surgery and he seems a lot better now, but I don't think he'll ever be fast like Otis and Ellie.

Anyway--Fly I think this Ramsey thing has been milked dry, frankly. What can Tracey say that hasn't already been said ad nauseum? Sure the tabloids have had a clunker or two and yes some of the stories have been unfair--but I don't think the Ramseys have been treated any differently than OJ or Gary Condit. so what's left to say?

I'm still on these forums only because of my friends here--not because of any real interest in the Ramseys at this point.

13. fly

fly Member

book topic

BobC - The Ramseys' treatment isn't terribly different than other cases, perhaps, but the general issue of trial by press and the question of the accuracy of the information published is still important, IMO. And since when has "it's been said before" stopped somebody from writing a book (especially in academia)?

The internet forum phenomenon is even more interesting, IMO.

WY - I suspect there's a good chance that nobody mentioned as part of the internet forums will come off particularly well. And that's probably fair. A lot of what has gone on is embarrassing in one way or another, or at least awfully hard to justify. There IS something warped about dissecting aspects of the case over and over again, regardless as to which side the person is on.

Jameson might argue she's fighting for innocent people who have been treated unfairly, but even that won't quite separate her obsession from that of folks on the other side of the fence. There's a real danger that she'll come off as just as crazy as the rest.

Of course, that might not be her concern at all. If I were in her place, however, it would be.

From a psychological perspective alone, the forums have been a fascinating spectacle. That's an aspect that has great potential for a book, although I don't know if Tracey will have the knowledge to do it justice. It's incredibly difficult to condense things that take place over weeks/months and to really describe the whole dynamics. It's something that almost has to be experienced to really appreciate.

14. Nandee

Nandee FFJ Senior Member

Jams

... Hir is a legend in hir own mind.

Too bad she can't tell fact from fiction.....

She's after Fleet again, claiming the BPD 'has never said that he could be eliminated as a suspect'

"Police have said that White and his wife Priscilla are not suspects."

http://www.cnn.com/US/9703/ramsey.case/whos.html

She will come off crazy because she IS crazy.....

15. Dunvegan

Dunvegan Guest

Well, fly, I agree that the Internet forum aspect...

...of the case has not been explored in any comprehensive or scholarly fashion as of yet.

And, true, any narrative that attempted to examine the over more than five years and millions of words (both opinion and fact) put into electronic form and broadcast worldwide may be quite an extraordinary undertaking.

Such a "history" might be to a "book" what the Bayeux Tapestry was to handkerchief embroidery.

Perhaps the best place and the proper medium for such a "book" would be the Internet itself. Or, simply, the archives at Archive.org.

I wonder if the reason that Jameson really wishes to side-step all this "unwanted attention" from one of her favorite documentarians has anything to do with her not feeling that her commentary and actions, over time, could hold up to reasonable examination?

Would it be impossible that if Jameson has "backed the bad horse" in throwing considerable support behind Westerfield, and Mr. Westerfield is found guilty of the murder of Danielle van Dam, that the Ramseys may no longer feel that the associations that Jameson is involving them in should be given any larger publicity?

While her forum was still available at Archive.org many revisions of both history and "hir story" were caught in time like a bug frozen in faceted amber.

Once made aware of the archiving, Susan requested Archive.org not allow Internet access to the files their Alexis spider had recorded from the public areas of her forum. I have read the archives. I was the first person to draw attention to them. Inconsistencies abounded. Many of the "deleted" posts and threads were preserved there. It was quite interesting to copy down threads and compare one set against another several weeks later, over these many (as BobC says) eons.

But...I digress.

Perhaps just the inconsistencies, false and suddenly irrational pro-Ramsey dead ends, and draconian banishments that abounded at Jameson's 245 (even from one day to the next) simply cannot withstand scholarship, embarrassment aside. I'm not certain that many of the posters here are all that "embarrassed" about their behaviours or their contributions.

I don't believe that I'd have much of a problem with someone mentioning me...and I cannot think of a thing that you have done, fly, that would bother you if it were published in a case chronicle.

That could make a fascinating poll...How many Internet posters would feel embarrassed if their writings were included in Tracey's book? (Caveat: If said quote were not heavily manipulated to serve some extreme POV...if the quotes were handled in a relatively non-partisan method and a reasonably academic manner?)

Perhaps you'd like to take a try at a volume on the "Internet Irregulars" ™, fly? Where could I sign up now for my advance copy?

16. MJenn

MJenn Member

Last time I looked, there is still a child killer out there.

Is there some time limit for wanting that killer to be exposed I'm supposed to know about that I missed?

Because I'm not that confident that someone who could do to a child what was done to JonBenet is somehow now a benevolent, safe bet in society...still full of vulnerable little girls.

But then, when you've witnessed a rape kit being done on a 2 year old, I guess it kinda' stays with you. Call me obsessed all you want, but in my mind, it's the child molesters and murderers who are the ones who are obsessed. I just bet they'd love me to forget all about them. Not likely in this lifetime.

So no, I'm not ashamed of anything that goes on in this community, including my own sometimes misguided, if well-intended, contributions. But we all do the best we can. The tension created by various people is what keeps it going. My observation is that it's just like real life: many personalities, all the same social and professional dynamics you'll find in any large, diverse group. People seem to be the same no matter where I go: fruits, nutz, know-it-alls, and snobs included, but mostly...really good people with whom it is a pleasure to interact.

And the day it becomes fine for rich prime suspects to hawk their propaganda all over the media in America, but rebuttal is not allowed, that's the day you can all look for me in the news...burning the American Flag...not because I don't respect it, but because it won't be America anymore. Freedom of speech is ALL we have holding up our entire way of life. All that gives us THE HOPE of equality and independence in this country is A FREE PRESS. Without the free exchange of ideas and information, welcome to Afghanistan.

17. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

who?

Warped? Obsessed? Crazy? Who - Moi?

If I were a sensitive person I'd believe since I post here that I'd been called all these things.

18. Watching You

I suspect

if Tracey really is writing a book, that he may delve into the sideshows of the forums - the FW witch-hunt, perhaps, the brawls. I agree with MJenn that we all have the right to free expression of our opinions, even if we do it over and over again - that is our right, too. There is always another doofus to refute, you know.

I would rather, though, if someone feels compelled to write about this subject, that it be someone not drenched in the Ramsey stink like Tracey has been. A neutral observer with no previous bias one way or the other might be more objective than the man who has helped make two crockumentaries on the Ramseys. I don't consider Tracey to be balanced enough to judge anyone on the forums.

19. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

I agree...A book on the internet forums by Tracey will have about as much impact as DOI did...set out to address specific issues from a single point-of-view. DOI was nothing more than a project undertaken to answer the ever-growing number of questions and inconsistencies by the media and the internet forums from a single point-of-view. It was fiction.

We all have opinions and discussion points. It is free speech, which we are all behind. I can certainly see why Jameson would not want to be featured or to have her forum featured...it could not survive the test of time...and like I said on another thread today, I wonder if she is backing Skakel too...that would leave her 0 for 3, not a very impressive record.

20. fly

fly Member

LOL

Dun - LOL about the treasure trove at Archive. I'm sure most of us who've been around forever have forgotten twice as much as we remember.

Sorry, but no book from me. I've been urged by the <i>very</i> few folks who know about my participation in the JBR forums to put together a presentation for one of the growing number of conferences on internet behavior, or an article on one aspect or another, but haven't managed it. Plus that would require that I reveal my own little secret obsession.

You see, folks, I'm not excluding myself from my comments above. I might not have been responsible for some of the more bizarre shennanigans or ideas, but I'm as hooked as the rest here. Sure, part of what keeps me here is the community concept, but I've got enough friends in real life to satisfy those sorts of needs. Some of it is the soap-opera aspect of life on the forums, too, even though I hate soap operas. The case is currently dead in the water, the amount of new information is nil, and has been for quite some time, and yet we continue to discuss it, with nothing new being said. Do we do the same thing concerning other events, equally unjust or horrific? I don't think so.

I rather doubt the Ramseys will care whether jameson has taken the (IMO) ludicrous position on the VanDam case or not. It has been highly amusing to read that forum, however. All of the kinds of crazy scenarios, demonization, dismissal of evidence, and arguing the absurd that the "beer can collectors" have been criticized for by her are exactly what is going on in support of Westerfield. LOLOLOLOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice