Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Colorado Reporters Sue Boulder DA Over Ramsey Case

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boul...release-ramsey

Camera reporter sues Boulder DA seeking release of Ramsey indictment

By Mitchell Byars Camera Staff Writer
    POSTED: 09/18/2013 04:34:41 PM MDT | UPDATED: ABOUT 5 HOURS AGO

A Daily Camera reporter and a press advocacy group sued Boulder County District Attorney Stan Garnett on Wednesday seeking the release of the indictment that was secretly voted on by the JonBenet Ramsey grand jury in 1999 but never prosecuted.

The Camera reported earlier this year that the grand jury voted to indict the slain 6-year-old's parents on charges of child abuse resulting in death, but that then-District Attorney Alex Hunter refused to sign the document and prosecute the Ramseys.

Camera reporter Charlie Brennan and the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press filed the lawsuit in Boulder District Court on Wednesday afternoon, citing the Colorado Criminal Justice Records Act in an effort to compel Garnett to release the indictment.

"The plaintiffs believe... that the indictment is a criminal justice record that reflects official action by the grand jury, and accordingly that it is subject to mandatory disclosure upon request," attorney Thomas B. Kelley wrote in the complaint. "Alternatively, they argue the indictment should be disclosed to the public because such disclosure would serve the public interest in government transparency and not be contrary to the public interest nor cause undue adverse effect upon the privacy of the individual."

The Camera is not a plaintiff in the complaint.

Garnett previously has rejected two requests by Brennan for the idictment under the Colorado Open Records Act.

"We will respond to the motion in a pleading in court," Garnett said Wednesday. "Protecting the integrity of the grand jury process is important to every district attorney."

[snip]

In October 1999, more than a year after the case went to a grand jury, then-D.A. Hunter announced that the grand jury investigation had come to an end and that no charges would be filed due to a lack of evidence.

But in January of this year, Brennan reported in the Camera that members of the grand jury confirmed they voted to indict both John and Patsy Ramsey on charges of child abuse resulting in death and that Hunter refused to sign the indictment, believing he could not prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

When charged as "knowingly or recklessly," child abuse resulting in death is a Class II felony that carries a potential sentence of four to 48 years in prison. The statute of limitations on that charge in Colorado is three years from the date of the crime.

Hunter did not return calls for comment for this story on Wednesday.

[snip]

Attorneys for the Ramseys also did not return calls Wednesday seeking comment.

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"
    FF: WRKJB?

~~~~~~~
    Bloomies underwear model:
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~
    My opinions, nothing more.

Nice move, Brennan! We'll see how far you get with this!
    "We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." - C.S. Lewis

MY OPINIONS - DO NOT COPY THEM ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET!

After all these years! Good grief!? Thanks for this update KK.

Nice to see you back heymom!
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

BobC is offline Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript and Book Reviewer

Better late than never! I think Brennan deserves some sort of journalism award!

Hot d*mn! Best news I've had in awhile! Charlie Brennan is DA MAN!

WTH is Garnett fighting the release of information? Now that we know the Grand Jury DID indict, the DA's office has to release the information, whether they want to or not. That is the law. It appears to me Garnett is fighting a losing battle to protect his pals, Hunter and Lacy.

Woo hoo! It's nice to see SOMEONE in Colorado not lying down and letting the Ramsey bus keep rolling over justice.

I've said it before: no DA in Boulder is EVAH going to let the public see what really went on behind the curtain in Oz. It was that dirty, that corrupted, and they'll all fight tooth and nail to keep it hidden as long as they live in the Republic of Boulder.

What I will never understand is why no reporters or media have sued for release of the same case information Lou Smit and Team Ramsey have controlled for so many years now. It should be the ONE suit that could be won in court.

That's where many answers lie to this mystery, IMO.

Reading in the comments section of this article, "Moosi" wrote the following:

BTW, I worked at the animal clinic where her little dog was dropped off the day after she died. They never came back for her OR paid for her keep and the caretaker of the property eventually adopted her and she lived out her life with him.
    Real stellar citizens.
    I agree; the Ramseys are cruel and selfish people who put on a public image which is not who they are at all. During their Atlanta 2000 interviews, the Ramseys revealed they had private investigators with information they wanted to barter for BPD case file evidence. What parents of a child murdered by some intruder thinks like that?

Like Hunter and Lacy and Smit, they all present a facade that is false.

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by koldkase View Post
    I've said it before: no DA in Boulder is EVAH going to let the public see what really went on behind the curtain in Oz. It was that dirty, that corrupted, and they'll all fight tooth and nail to keep it hidden as long as they live in the Republic of Boulder.

What I will never understand is why no reporters or media have sued for release of the same case information Lou Smit and Team Ramsey have controlled for so many years now. It should be the ONE suit that could be won in court.

That's where many answers lie to this mystery, IMO.

Reading in the comments section of this article, "Moosi" wrote the following:

I agree; the Ramseys are cruel and selfish people who put on a public image which is not who they are at all. During their Atlanta 2000 interviews, the Ramseys revealed they had private investigators with information they wanted to barter for BPD case file evidence. What parents of a child murdered by some intruder thinks like that?

Like Hunter and Lacy and Smit, they all present a facade that is false.
    BBM: Well, guilty parents.

The above is just my opinion, right or wrong, but please leave it at FFJ.

Exclamation

Well God bless Charlie Brennan! I'd bet that a lot of eyes rolled in the DA's office when this came down. They think and feel they are so protected with all that went on years ago. Let's hope someone anyone will finally let loose with some files.

Thank you koldkase.
    "When are we going to get our heads out of the sand and understand that sometimes really nice people who look good on the outside are dastardly on the inside." Wendy Murphy, former prosecutor, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Tez View Post
    BBM: Well, guilty parents.
    I have always thought this particular set of transcripts of the Ramseys being "interviewed" by Boulder DA lawyers and detectives pretty much rips the mask off the Ramseys pure BS about wanting to help the BPD investigate this murder.

So many lies, so many years to try to keep them straight.

For example, here we have Patsy inadvertantly revealing how she never even bothered to find out for herself what her "group" of impressive experts (according to her) actually determined from their work on the case FOR TEAM RAMSEY.

But on the other hand, here Patsy says Lou Smit showed her autopsy photos of stun gun marks...though I thought she and John said many times they didn't want to see those, or read the autopsy reports...except when they got asked a question and revealed that, oh, yeah, they did....

Oh, it's interesting reading, with Lin Wood tap dancing as hard as he could to run interference for the Ramseys and establish he was IN CONTROL, even redirecting questions and instructing the Boulder lawyers how to ask them.

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/foru...ead.php?t=4666

Notice Patsy acts all "John would know" but then can be very technically specific when making her "intruder" evidence points or sharing her DISINFORMATION about the sequence of the injuries to JonBenet. (When the Ramseys tell us something, I know it's the opposite of the truth.)

And she clearly names the WHITES as suspects AGAIN, even in Fall of 2000...ha.

So yeah, I want access to EVERY SINGLE PICTURE, VIDEOTAPE, AND PIECE OF EVIDENCE LOU SMIT HAD IN HIS POSSESSION, COMPLIMENTS OF ALEX HUNTER, which Smit selectively shared with numerous media outlets, from major network programming to Michael Tracey's productions on behalf of exonerating the Ramseys. Every single "suspect" they ran before a camera should have those PowerPoints in entirety by DEFAULT.

Dammit.

How about going after those, Charlie Brennan et al?
    Last edited by koldkase; September 19, 2013, 5:23 pm at Thu Sep 19 17:23:36 UTC 2013.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

KK, wasn't the little dog a male? I seem to recall it was. Not that it matters, but I thought the neighbors just kept him after that night. I doubt seriously that the Ramseys gave one thought to their former dog.
    "We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Elle_1 View Post
    After all these years! Good grief!? Thanks for this update KK.

Nice to see you back heymom!
    Hi Elle! Glad to see you're still around too! Still hoping and praying for the truth to come out, even after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by heymom View Post
    KK, wasn't the little dog a male? I seem to recall it was. Not that it matters, but I thought the neighbors just kept him after that night. I doubt seriously that the Ramseys gave one thought to their former dog.
    Yes, Jacques was a male. Remember he was the replacement Bichon after Patsy returned the original pet when it wasn't...up to par or something.

The story went that the neighbors across the street kept the dog a lot. Patsy said it was when they traveled. I remember something about one of the dogs wetting the floor a lot--the Ramseys clearly had a problem with potty training children and pets.

The neighbors, the Barnhills, were where JonBenet went to visit her dog, seems I remember it being said. The Barnhills did end up with the dog, so my thought about what the Boulder commenter said is the Barnhills became the property "caretakers" when the group of "friends of the Ramseys" bought the house to help them out.

But that does bring up the question about how the dog ended up being boarded the day after the murder, at the vet's, doesn't it? If the Barnhills had the dog, why take it to the vet the next day? Maybe the Ramseys asked them to do that, or one of their friends or family, not wanting to burden the Barnhills?

But then the Ramseys never bothered to pick up the dog or pay his boarding bill. Abandoned as quickly as a body under a Christmas tree, it would appear. Obviously the three remaining Ramseys had no bonding with the pets.

What am I missing here?

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~