Rams vs NY Post Suit Settled

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Moab, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

This topic deserves a new thread...

Lurker posted:

Rams VS. NY Post Terminated
    reports coming out that an order for administrative closure has been handed down in this case. Whether the Post proffered a settlement which was accepted, or whether the case was thrown out, has not been ascertained yet.

In any event, it looks like the files from Boulder will not be opened to the Post.

More later.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~

MJENN posted:

Why would the Post settle?
    They haven't even seen the evidence they fought so hard to get yet.

And how could the judge throw the case out when discovery is still underway, and the important evidence still sitting in the DA's Office?

Think THE RAMS FOLDED? hahahahahahahahahaha

I'm sure it'll play something like this: THE RAMS WON AGAIN!! THEY CAN'T BE BEAT!! THE POST ADMITTED THEY WERE WRONG AND PAID THE RAMS AN UNDISCLOSED SUM PROBABLY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF $50 MILLION DOLLARS!

OH! BUT THE RAMS ARE STILL POOR! THIS MONEY IS ALL BURKE'S. HE'LL HAVE TO LIVE IN A TRAILER FOR NOW, BUT WHEN HE TURNS 18--HE'LL BE RICHRICHRICHRICHRICH! JOHN AND PATSY, HOWEVER, ARE STILL ARE BROKE AND MUST SELL ONE OF THEIR HOMES, THOUGH JOHN CAN KEEP HIS PLANE SINCE HE NOW CAN AFFORD THE GAS TO RUN IT....

OH HAPPY DAY!! THE KILLAS...I MEAN, RAMS ARE VINDICATED YET AGAIN!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thor posted:

Well, I for one am thoroughly ****ed off and you will see many, many astericks in my posts on this subject now. I just asked one of the attorneys I work with (who knows about the Ram case) what this means. He had never heard of this before. I truly believe the antichrist is alive and well. Folks, it is time to throw in the towel. The ****ers have gotten away with murder and are thumbing their ****ing noses at the world. Always have been, always will. I don't give a chit who has cancer, a baby has died and someone in that ****ing house knows who did this. I say let all the information out. All of it. Those bastards in Boulder have no desire to do anything with this case while that poor baby is in her grave with her parents simply getting away with it. I don't wish death on anyone but someone needs to be held accountable. What is so ****ing secret about those files on Burke? If the little chit had nothing to do with it and the Rams say so (therefore suing the tabs), let it all out. Prove it to the world, John & Patsy. Why is everything such a goddamned secret in this case? How far up the ladder does the coverup go?

Sorry but this case needed to be solved a long time ago. I wanna know just what this crapola means. Did they settle? What is going on here? I feel like I'm in the goddamned twilight zone. Now, I'll go drink a glass of water and calm down.

2. MJenn

MJenn Member

Hahahahaha, Thor!

Tell us what you REALLY THINK!

And hey! You even got the GD word past the filters! I'm IMPRESSED! Must have burned them up with so many ****INGS. LOL

First, let me brighten your day: IF THE RAMS WITHDREW THEIR SUIT...says a LOT, doesn't it? Boy, talk about throwing Burke under the bus. I mean, THEY BROUGHT THE SUIT. But they never would have put Burke on the stand. And since he's now of an age where HE WOULD HAVE TO TAKE THE STAND IN A SUIT FILED IN HIS NAME...it was a no brainer that they'd try to get one of their infamous "SETTLEMENTS."

I think the judgment that gave the Post access to those files shocked the chit out of the Rams. Yeah, they started tap dancing fast to get out of this one, I'll bet. Say one thing and do another? That's CLASSIC RAMSEY.

Another scenario: if the DA's Office somehow manipulated this suit because it's still an open case or something like that...that's something to ponder.

But I don't think the judge got into a deal with the devil in this. The Post is far more powerful...yes...than even the Rams.

Again, I don't see how the judge would have thrown a case out that is not even through discovery. But what do I know about law?

Still, my money is on the Rams folding. Again, if that's the case--Burke will rise to the top of the prime suspect list in many minds. I hope they haven't done that to him, but it would be like them, wouldn't it?

Maybe their greed has come back to nail them at last.

Here's the record of this "Order" as posted on the Pacer Service:

5/30/02 31 ORDER OF ADMINISTRATIVE CLOSURE by Judge Walker D. Miller
    terminating case (cc: all counsel) ; entry date : 6/3/02 (db)
    [Entry date 06/03/02]

3. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

OK, What it is....

The case is still pending; the judge is awaiting the documents from the Boulder DA's office. What was terminated was only the motion by Boulder to quash the subpoena for the case documents re: Burke Ramsey.

Sorry for all the confusion. The case has not been terminated or settled.

That will teach me to take at face value anything I read at the swamp or on candyass's forum, where her headline blared out "BURKE/NY POST CASE TERMINATED!"

OK, everyone, relax. Lin Wood is gonna get a butt-whuppin' from those NY Post lawyers yet!

4. MJenn

MJenn Member

Well, I did email the Post.... LOL

Like I'm going to get anything out of that. :)

But if the skunk actually got her calls to Woody answered, my guess is the KEY WORD here is CASE.

As in WHICH CASE? If it's just termination of ONE PARTICULAR, RELATED FILE CASE--NOT THE SUIT, then I guess it's just that: the CASE TERMINATED is the one involving the Post's request/motion for the case files pertaining to Burke.

If this is a CASE all by itself, WHO KNEW? LOL The recorded entry doesn't specify which case, though the last few entries before this one were about the BDA case files on Burke, with the judge ordering the files to be turned over to both the defendant and the plaintiff. There were a couple of entries on motion to quash by the respondent or whomever or whatever how can I know as they not only write in abbreviations known only to legal wonks but it's clear as mud to me....

All I know is...THE LAW IS TOO WHACKY FOR ME!

I guess it's a location thing: you had to be there to know WHICH *&%&$&%(*&!! CASE THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

LOL OK, break it up, go home folks, false alarm....

5. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Lurker XIV. No need to apologize.

Thor...Thor are you there? It's ok Thor. Everyone we can come out now. This should calm Thor down...

Thor..God love you! I hope the Ramsey's know with people like you Mjenn, VP, WY Moab, and about 145 others around here they will never be able to go about their life like nothing happened.

I want them to know that all of us are here for the long run. Look at the Moxely case..27 years was it? A drop in the bucket compared to how long I will wait and watch this case. I will never give up.

JonBenet's parents and many others have given up. Forgotten. Not us though...

Right??

Tricia

6. Thor

Thor Active Member

LMAO!

Help me Jeezus, I coulda had a stroke for nothing here. Thanks you guys. I just read on hir's forum pretty much the same thing so I feel better. Thanks Tricia, Lurker, Veep & MJenn! I was so ****ed when I left work that I got mad to to cripples in wheelchairs for holding up the bus & making half of us move (they're psycho people, are young and get in fights outside their home, apparently, so I feel safe in being mad at them). Hahaha! Then I came home & bitched to Mr. Thor about it, went to wash my hair and started washing my face (which I always do AFTER I wash my hair). I told myself, "calm down, it's beyond your control".

Hir says the the DA was going to fight the subpoena in court.
    There was no appeal entered so the file was closed, not the case itself. Hir says the chickenchits still are giving over the files to the post. I would like to know just why they are so afraid of letting those files out.

Thanks to you guys and Angel, who sent me a drink and chocolates by email. The chocolates were all lumped together and looked like Jammy chit.

Yes, Tricia, Thor is right here, nipping at Lizard's & Patsy's white tails. My fangs may even make it to Limp Wood's lily white cheeks, as well. My next quest will be The Hunted. Woof

7. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Yes VP call her. LOL

LurkerXIV I am glad you did this. Honest mistake and yet it showed we all still care, can get ****ed off and hunker down to figure out what this means.

Let's say hypothetically the Rams do drop the suit.

They really could drop it. It might happen.

If they ever did drop the case it would not be because Burke is guilty but rather Burke offered up something concrete that would show his parents as liars. The Ramsey's would know this information would come out during discovery since the Post has access to the files. JMHO of couse

MJenn was correct in saying if they did drop the case then so many people would think Burke did it.

I am here to tell you . If it came to saving her own asss or Burke's, Patsy behind would win out. You know it.

Hey LurkerXIV you got our blood pumping again.

Thank you :)

Tricia

8. Camper

Camper Banned

Hmmm

I seem to recall, correctly or incorrectly, Candy posting that those files were 30,000 pages deep. How many boxes would that be, lets see 350 pages to a ream of paper, get a calculator, I don't have one here.

How long would it take to read 30,000 pages?

Interesting news to say the least.

What will the Rams be up to next?

Edited to add: OOPS a ream is 500 pages, yep something is bound to show up that points fingers at the RAms.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2002
  9. Toltec56

Toltec56 New Member

Bwaaahaahaaa!

Everyone calm down. The Post is stronger than the Ramseys and their pet Lin Wood.

Believe you me that the Post will go through every page AND come up with something on the Rams, be it Burke or J&P.

10. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Let's see

At 500 pages per ream of paper that's 60 reams/12 reams per box = 5 boxes like you get at Office Depot (if I did my math correctly.) That's a lot of pages to wade through regardless.

I don't see the Post settling unless it's in their favor and IMHO, they know there is still too much interest in this case and will take it all the way through the system unless the Rams fold. Perhaps if that happened, the Post will sue the Rams for liable etc.

11. Dunvegan

Dunvegan Guest

I'll have to check his book, but I believe that...

...Daniel Petrocelli and co. went through over 50K pages of documents prior to the Simpson civil trial.

Here it is, from "Triumph of Justice", hc, pg 47:<ol>"The logistical task of gaining access to and duplicating all the files, documents, photographs, and massive amounts of materials that we subpoenaed was staggering. There were fifty thousand pages of trial transcripts alone, and that didn't include the grand jury, preliminary hearing, and other pretrial proceedings. The court reporter wanted to charge us a dollar a page: $50,000 for one copy! We were operating on a tight budget to begin with, and that seemed an outrageous amount of money under any budget. Instead, we brought in our own photocopying machines and put paralegals on the case. The police would not let the material out of their office, and neither would the DA, so we had to do it right there. It would have been easy many times to say, "Oh, no, that's all right, don't copy that." But you never knew what you would find, and I didn't want to miss a piece of evidence that might turn out to be important. We ended up copying just about everything. We duplicated audiotapes, videotapes, black and white and color photographs. We duplicated computer disks and converted them onto our firm's computer system.

"Adding to my concerns was seeing how much of the files and materials were in a state of disarray. The LAPD's filing system was especially disorganized. We were going through some of these files one day when I came upon drawer after drawer of loose audiotapes. "What are these?" I asked. "I don't know," I was told, "various conversations, 911 calls, the Bronco chase, all kinds of stuff." Later, we distributed the tapes among the lawyers and listened on our office tape recorders whenever we had a free minute, or in our cars driving to and from work. One day Peter Gelblum popped in a cassette and heard Simpson talking to Detective Tom Lange on the cell phone during the infamous Bronco chase. Lange was trying to talk him into surrendering, and Simpson sounded completely pitiful, moaning, "You've been a good guy, man. You really have...I'm the only one that deserves [to be hurt]." All of it was utterly inconsistent with the notion, central to his defense, that these police officers -- and in particular this individual, the lead detective in the case -- were responsible for framing him."</ol>Looks like 30,000 pages of papers might be a pretty large amount of stuff to sift through...but remember: it was Petrocelli's attention to this sort of detail that found what the DA's office in LA missed...and Petrocelli won his case against Simpson...basically by proving that Simpson was responsible for the murders of Nicole and Ron Goldman.

In the Ramsey murder case, if we have a strong civil case that proves who murdered JonBenet Ramsey, there is no previous criminal trial aquitting anyone, and no double-jeopardy bind preventing a subsequent criminal inditement.

If the Post case goes forward, it could be very interesting.

12. Mels

Mels Member

The Rams must have SOMEthing up their sleeve to have brought this suit. Woody must think they could keep certain facts out of the trial if necessary.

OR

At a minimum, they would have the opportunity to see what the BPD has on them via Burke or on Burke, determine if it is substantial enough to make a case against them when/if any further evidence develops (keeping in mind the Perp knows all the facts of the case), then drop the case against the NYPost if necessary.

Mels

13. AK

AK Member

Dunv

Ahhh, memories. I remember that Simpson/Lange tape very well. Thanks for finding that pertinent passage. Now if only we could find Enquirer pix of the Ramseys wearing an ugly-*** half-a-shoe and writing the ransom note...

The big diff is that any criminal case should be adjudicated before any civil proceedings -- the way this Ramsey one is going can only harm the criminal case. And I wouldn't be here all these years later if I didn't believe there will be one.

I spoke to someone who knows the material and said there's little the Ramseys don't already know. I hope that's true. But in my experience with redacted files and discovery dumps a keen eye can always find pearls. And the Rs have nothing better to do...

Edited because I forgot how to spell Tom last name.

14. MJenn

MJenn Member

Wow, JR....

You're good!

Now, if you can just do your math and tell me what is an adequated-size attache for $118,000, we may be getting somewhere.

For anyone who hasn't read it yet, Petrocelli's book on the Simpson civil trial is an incredible example of how a fine lawyer puts together a great case. You can also listen to it on tape...which he reads himself, by the way.

I kept thinking how much I wish he would get a shot at the Ramsey murder. But I think he's just too expensive at this point, or Steve could possibly have countersued the Rams. Dream on....

Well, the Moxley case has only taken 27 years, and win or lose, that DA has my admiration for finally going for it.

Then there is the John List case, where he murdered his wife and mother and 3 children. Took them 17 years just to find him.

I guess I even hold out some hope. I just don't know if I'll live that long. But I guess that's not the point, is it?

15. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Actually, FedoraX

I think one of the tabs did come up with the smoking shoe, or boot, in the Ramsey case. Remember when they showed Patsy with her (beaver?) fur boots? They were shaggy looking boots. Funny that the RST likes to claim she never owned any of those (ugly-assed? LOL) fur boots. She did, because I saw them on her with my very own eyes in one of the tabs.

16. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Ack!

I'm still embarrassed for my half-assed report of breaking news. But you're right, Tricia, we all had a good opportunity to vent. Otherwise, I'd never have known that Thor is going for LinWood's lily white cheeks! ROFL!

I am just not a multi-tasker. Can't watch the Westerfield trial and do forums at the same time.

Now FedX is going to fire me from my job as a stringer.

17. MJenn

MJenn Member

Don't worry, Lurker...

Just come and sit by me in the unemployment chairs....

Hey, it's not our fault the stupid recorders don't 'SPLAIN IT so as those of us who haven't yet read our LAW FOR DUMMIES edition can understand it.

And I agree, we need our dander fluffed in this case everysooften.

Consider ourselves FLUFFED.

18. Thor

Thor Active Member

Hey Lurker, this wasn't your fault with me anyhoo. I read it originally at WS, which Candy posted. So not your fault. I need a place to vent and am glad this place lets me. Although there are others as well. I just will be furious if someone buckles under yet again with these people. I just cannot understand how luck can follow them around after all this time. I'm sorry, but IMO they know what happened that night and can settle it by just doing the right thing and telling what happened. But they are stubborn. And I thought I was stubborn. Yes, someone needs to go after Limpwood's buttocks and Thor is just the one to do it.

19. AK

AK Member

Fire you, LXIV?

Nevah! You're worth all the big bucks I pay you from my monthly FW checks. I know what you mean about multitasking, heh.

WY, thanks for that reminder of the beaver boots. What a funny coinkidink that one was. Even O.J. is probably saying, "Hey, lookit that! And I thought <i>I</i> was the guiltiest person I ever met!"

Anyway, here's where I point to Skakel and put in my plug about never giving up hope. With luck, MJenn, it'll be in both of our lifetimes. I advise the Ramseys to install a peep hole in their front door, just in case that knock comes sooner than later.

20. zapata

zapata Senior Member

Hunter's Deposition

I think that the documents the NY Post are waiting on may just show that Hunter committed perjury when the Post deposed him.

Hunter testified in that deposition that Burke had never been a suspect. If I am correct about this, then Hunter has committed a criminal act. I sure hope he did.

Did the Ramseys file the suit against the NY Post in federal court or district? I hope it was Federal. I would love to see the Feds take a chunk out of Hunter. I would be standing at the gate of the prison to hand him a jar of vaseline as he walked through the gate.

Also, when I was doing a little research on the case, I ran across an article, "The Tabloid Turncoat". It was about Jeffrey-boy. Jeff made the statement that his boss had a picture of Hunter with a woman that was not his wife. This made me wonder if that is why Hunter was so anxious to leak so much information to the Globe? Jeff said he convinced his boss that the woman was probably a former wife of Hunter's. Hunter has been married 5-times. We all know that Jeff had the hots for Hunter and probably lied to his boss about the woman probably being a former wife of Hunter's.

zap

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice