Rachel Cooke - The Search For Rachel Phase IV

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by JR, Jun 8, 2002.

1. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

The following pictures are of the search for Rachel two days shy of the fifth month anniversary of her disappearance.

A new search member signs up at 8:00 a.m. June 8, 2002.

Copyright ©2002 Jacqueline L. Riggs

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2003
  2. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Newest Official Search Team Member.

3. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Grandpa and RC take care of some paper work while waiting for other team members to show up.

4. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Reverend John F. Selle shows up to say hello.

5. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Other team members arrive - Robert S being a goof.

6. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Out in the field

Grid Search line forms up.

7. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

RC's grid.

8. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

A searcher gets swallowed up in foliage.

9. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Checking under foliage.

10. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Grandpa's grid.

11. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Look closely, there really is a searcher in this picture.

12. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Counting heads.

13. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Crossing the river.

Edited because I called the river a creek.

14. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

The search team took a break between search areas to view a local attraction.

Dinosaur print. This picture was taken specifically for T-Rex.

15. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Dinosaur print VS. hand. This picture was taken specifically for T-Rex as well.

16. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Rachel Cooke search - Day 149

The search today was negative. Again, we know where Rachel isn't but as we keep saying, that is important too.

We will keep searching for Rachel until we find her.

Let's bring Rachel home!

17. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

JR, I am as sad for you and RC and Janet as I am for the Smarts today...but I learned something very valuable from following Rachel's threads...it is critical to be able to eliminate areas too.

Good luck if you search tomorrow! YOu know you have my thoughts and prayers with you.

18. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Moab

It is devastating for any family to have to go through this but when you become involved, yes, you see it first hand and you can't walk away.

It is very important to know where the person is not because you can eliminate that area from the search.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and the Smart family as you go through these daily searches. I pray for a quick recovery of Elizabeth.

Imagine 5 months of what you have been through the past 4 days. Monday marks the 5th anniversary of Rachel's abduction.

It was a bittersweet moment for me to actually catch AMW tonight and see Elizabeth's clip and know that to date there has not been one for Rachel.

I am glad they showed Elizabeth because national exposure such as AMW is what will help resolve these cases quicker most of the time IMHO.

19. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Day 151 of the search for Rachel Louise Cooke

Today's search consisted of Austin, a K-9 from Austin and Officer Minton, Duco, and (Sheriff) Deputy Richter, a writer from http://www.austintex.com/, a Williamson County Victim's Advocate, Robert and Janet Cooke, and 5 other walkers. We searched an area off of Young Ranch Road, an area off of Navajo Trail and an area off of Apache Trail. The last of the search effort I was involved in was handled by the K9's and 2 walkers and was completed about 4:30 p.m. The K9's and one other person were going to check out one additional area.

Today's search was scheduled for 6:00 a.m. It was still dark upon arrival at the Cooke house. The K9's were already there. Once everyone had arrived we headed to the first search area off of Young Ranch Road. We were very glad we had some cloud cover since it was almost 80 degrees by 6:00 a.m. While the K9's were being readied, one of the rancher's bulls came over to play with us. This huge guy was very friendly but didn't understand his own strength as he head butted some of the searchers. He almost sent Janet flying with a head butt.

Finally, everyone was ready to line up for the grid search. The first search assignment for the K9's was at the pond (called a tank here) on the property. We then moved across the acres searching under trees and brush until we got to the fence lines on two sides of the property. I ran across a snake. This snake had the coloring of a rattler but was of the Bull snake variety. That and the "bull play" was the highlight of the morning. The search was negative. Everyone headed back to the Cooke home and had lunch. During our lunch break RC offered to play the video from the Run/Walk for Rachel and from Inside Edition. The K9 officers had not previously seen the video's or coverage of these events. I had, but the effect on me was the same as during my previous viewings - there wasn't a dry eye in the room.

During our lunch break, I contacted Tricia to ask her to pass a message from Robert to the family of Eliazabeth Smart. RC wanted the Smart's to know that he is willing to help in the search for Elizabeth. Tricia was in a debriefing and said she would call me back.

After lunch, we moved to another location and repeated a grid search while the K9's checked the tanks and out buildings. A searcher spotted a couple of items out of place for that environment and the dogs were called over to check them out. I believe this search will be considered negative as well. We will go back to that area on another search because by about 2:30 p.m. the temperature had soared to 96 degrees with 40 to 50% humidity. Everyone was drenched in sweat by the time we called the search in this area.

Since the third location was to recheck where the Cadaver Dogs had a "hit" Memorial Day weekend, the team trimmed down and after a brief cooling off period at the Cooke house we headed over to accomplish this task. Austin and Duco also had a "hit" at the same spot so Deputy Richter used a rake to check a mound area and then with help from Officer Minton and much struggling (and gagging) pried apart some 5 gallon paint cans to determine the substance causing the dogs to hit on the cans. We determined that the can had probably been used as a porta-potty at some point and was not something connected to Rachel's abduction.

I headed back to the Cooke's house to report yet another negative search and to say goodnight. The five month anniversary of Rachel's abduction is today. We know where Rachel isn't after having searched many square miles, in fact most of Williamson County. Knowing where Rachel isn't is disheartening but vital information. We need closure for the Cooke family. We will not give up. As RC states in his message to Rachel's abductor/s on the rachelcookesearch.org site:

"I bet you thought we would give up by now. Think again! After God's love, a parent's love for their children is the strongest thing in the world."

Let's bring Rachel home!

Arrival at Cooke house

20. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Ready to head out

This is most of the group involved in today's search.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice