Nightmare in Texas

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by JR, Jun 17, 2002.

1. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Let me tell you what a nightmare the Cooke family is dealing with.

The PI on the Cooke case happened to spot a car that matched the latest description (see link below.) Evidently, the two guys in the car realized the PI was tailing them to get their plates and was also on the phone calling 911. They pulled over and switched drivers. The PI got a good look at the second driver who's description matched the latest sketch (see link below.) By the time the PI got put through to the right people in the Sheriff's Office, the PI was following these guys at speeds of 100 MPH on the Interstate! No one from the Sheriff's Office had responded as they crossed into Georgetown city limits.

As the P.I. followed the car she saw a Williamson County Sheriff's car driving on the freeway access road.

The PI in trying to get the SO to respond to the situation keeping them informed as the chase was on but was told as they had gone into Georgetown Police jurisdictions that they were connecting them to that police office. Now they were about to enter the city of Round Rock and the P.I. was transferred to that city's police department.

Meanwhile, frustrated and also not thrilled with traveling at unsafe speeds the P.I. backed off because at least the P.I. has plate numbers now. Around the same time the telephone connection was broken.

Hello! These guys should have been pulled over in either city for excessive speed (the speed limit being 70 MPH and they were doing 100.)

RC got a call about all of this while we were driving that same Interstate to come back from Round Rock where we had to go to make copies and pick up some office supplies.

http://www.rachelcookesearch.org/

2. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

JR...thank heavens you have a license plate number...hope you don't have as much trouble running the plate...sounds like someone didn't have a driver's license, and perhaps that is why they switched drivers...

Sorry the response time prohibited someone stopping the car when the PI had it spotted...and also it sounds like the people in the car had something to hide or they wouldn't have bolted like that...

Good Luck!

3. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Moab

Thank you. The really sad thing is that I have seen articles in the local paper where someone has called 911 to report an erratic driver and the police have responded. (They list police calls in our paper.)

I find it astounding that this went on yesterday and that no one responded. It was Father's Day, there was a lot of traffic on the Interstate and this could have been a very dangerous situation with the speeds that were reached.

4. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

So, what happened?

If the PI got the plate numbers, has anyone got the info on them yet? That takes all of five minutes, so if anyone is doing his job, they ought to have these people investigated by now, ya think?

5. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

WY

The SO does at least seem to check at least some of the leads handed off. IMHO, we have a passive investigation going on. I for one am not going to sit here and hold my breath.

6. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

JR....

Can't the PI run the licence plates pronto and insist on police assistance in tracing the plates to the owner of the vehicle? This is indeed a nightmare....are the police waiting for the citizens to take matters into their own hands!

My thoughts and prayers reaching out to RC at this time.....I know he must be on the very edge with this latest happening....I just know that you and RC will not let this ly and will do whatever you can to run down this lead....

Good Luck,
    Voyager

7. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Voyager

While the P.I. can run the plates, she clearly can't force the SO to act. Let's just say <b>if</b> they are doing their job the owner of that car should have been picked up and questioned by now. I suppose time will tell.

Remember, this is a P.I., someone trained to note details and she clearly didn't get much cooperation yesterday.

8. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

VP

I don't believe anyone has stated an arrest should have been made. Certainly the P.I. should have been given some back up for a dangerous situation.

The P.I. has done her job. The SO has to do his. While he may not have grounds to arrest these people, he has a bulletin out that one of them is wanted for questioning in connection with the disappearance of Rachel Cooke.

Further, I have seen numerous cases here where a citizen has called in license plates on people who are driving erratically and those people get ticketed or arrested if the case warrants it.

My question is why no one responded to the fact that these guys were barreling down I35 at 100 mph especially knowing that one guy and the car fit the description of a potential "witness" and the car currently being sought in the Cooke case.

The P.I. does have her company logo on her vehicle but I don't know for a fact that she was in that vehicle when this took place.

VP, you wrote: the SO is clearly not going to do anything until it's handed to him.

EXACTLY Right! (And why there is so much frustration in this case.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice