Legislation, grants, a National Organization?

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by JR, Aug 15, 2002.

1. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

RC and I went on a recon yesterday afternoon as we determined where next to search for Rachel. As I watched RC open that old refrigerator I realized how much anger I have been holding in since January - anger at the way our system works.

After the initial first days a person goes missing, local law enforcement have no budget or manpower for continued searching so it gets left up to the family.

No parent or family member should ever have to look for their child or loved one as depicted in the following sequence of pictures.

How do we change this?

Copyright ©2002 Jacqueline L. Riggs

2. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

3. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

4. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

Took the words out of my mouth

JR,

Since I have become involved I have been floored and I mean floored that local and federal law enforcement is not more "active" in the search, any search. We all know and understand (as much as we can) that this has to do with budget and manpower.

It wasn't long ago that I noticed how MUCH of the change and progress that has come about in regards to the search for missing children and the fight to protect them has been out of the efforts of the parents/families that have become victim to this horrific circumstance. Here are these families that have had their lives ripped and torn to shreds and yet they stand up, dust them selves off and continue not only the fight to find/protect their children but they also take on the fight on a bigger scale. They find the time and the enrgy to make a difference and fight for other families and search with other families and bang their head against the wall of justice with every determination to make a dent. I don't have children yet, one day I will. Although I wish these people have not had to go through such tragedy I have to say I thank God for these parents and these families and these people that are involved in this worldwide struggle because I hope one day their efforts and my efforts will protect my children and my childrens children.

You asked "How do we change this?", here is my answer. To you JR, I say you are doing it. You are involved and dedicated and much more importantly you are asking that question because you really want to know the answer. When we as a society can ask those questions with the true desire to reach the answer or create the answer that is when change comes into place. The trick is getting enough people to strive for the same result. Societies often start small, communities often start small. There is already such a force behind this fight. We have to continue and we have to bang our head on the lawmakers door, the national/local budget door, the neighbors door...if we carry on and stay strong the change will come. Not only the change where the families are not the ones having to check an old refrigerator or dig up a rock pile that looks like a grave. We will bring about the change where our children are safe, and we as a people will not tolerate such things to happen.

It all starts with one voice speaking up. Think about how far we are past just one voice. It is up to use to make the change and fight for the things and resources we need to protect our children and/or bring them home. Until then, we just have to carry on the best way we know how. We must also remember to be the voice. To speak up and get people involved, get people active in making a difference.

I know I went on a rant there...I had to get it off my chest.

5. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

One more thing

JR I say to you and anyone else that is willing that I will be a voice, I will be a searcher and I will be a force that will be active in making change happen. Not only with Rachel but with our nation and our world.

Lets stand together and start the national organization ourselves.

6. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

ReCon & Pictures

JR...
    when i viewed the recent pictures you posted I cried. I am more then empathetic for the Cookes, my heart breaks for this family and yet my prayers always include them.

KB...
    That's my girl!!! I'm so proud of your words and your true feelings for this family and the others I know you will help. I think the words of Billy Gilman say all of what you and others feel For RObert and his Wife in the song, "ONE VOICE".
    May God continue to keep us strong and safe and always remember a young woman's words I just recently read....
    "Always Remember Your Fork!"
    Californis Judge rules Sex Offenders do not have to Register new address every time they move just once anually...What is wrong with this picture?
    What say Ye Governor Gray Davis???

7. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

Hmmm

Thanks Shyshi5!

About the sex offenders, in my opinion that misses the entire point of them registering in the first place.

His new name - Govenor Gray Give a sex offender a loop-hole Davis!

8. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

Gray Davis

KB... You're definitely on a roll today :clap:

9. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

Oraganization Name

Yes I am on a roll. My emotions are raw and powerful!

My mind is realing on this subject.

Here is my first suggestion for the name of our organization:

NOPE = National Organization to Prevent Exploitation

:)

10. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

Name:

Okay KB... MOM wants her button for this group first... because I'm MoM that's why!!!!!!:clap:
    I really love the name.

11. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

new name

Need help with this one...

VOICE or VOICES = Victims Organization to Initiate Change in Exploitation Services....

Any ideas to help that get to the point or be more clear or...or ...something that works better?

12. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

Name of ORG

KB... I'd leave off the s in the last organization name you listed and change the ..(in).. to.. (of) Exploitaions.
    Keep up the great work...maybe you'll have a real job doing all of this stufff...lol

13. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

Another

I am serious about this.... "If it is to be it is up to me".
    We can do this, we can make this organization.

Other name acronyms to work with are:

RACHEL
    ACTIVE
    CHOICE

14. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

Serious

KB.....MOM wasn't making fun of you ...not one bit..I was being very seriuos. You may be enlisted by a group to help with the issues at hand. The organization names are fantastic. SERIOUS.

15. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

Shyshi5

Mom, I know you weren't making fun...I just wanted to be clear that I wasn't just having fun with this, that I am being serious.

PS, I read about your letters you have been writing...that is great. Thankyou for being a dependable voice.

16. wordcharmer

wordcharmer Guest

My 2 cents

I am appalled to learn that these parents have to do most of the work! If our governmant devoted 1/10 of the time and money we spend on fighting International terrorism, on the domestic terrorists who kidnap, molsest and murder our children, they might have a fighting chance. :(

17. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

RC, JR and anyone else with input

I am looking for some input.
    RC I am aware from information you have provided and other sources that there is a "void" of assistance for certain missing persons. (i.e., certatin age groups, sex, race).
    I am also aware that there is a lack of government, (local and federal) funding and legislation that allows for long term search/investigation support.
    1. Is there any organization currently focused on improving those two issues.?
    2. Are there other "voids" in the missing/exploited world that are in need of attention on a local or national level? (Other than making the Amber Alert a national product)

I am looking for in depth information so if any of this is better discussed "offline" I am more than willing to coorespond via private message/email/phone.

18. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

KB

KB,

There are a lot of biases that the nation media has. The are an entertainment source controlled by ratings. The best article that I read about what it takes to get national coverage is on the ABC site: http://crime.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...tions/us/DailyNews/missingchildren020506.html

They look for certain things: age, race, location, sex, the neighborhood that the abduction occurred in, family income, the circumstances of the abduction, etc.

I think that Elizabeth Smart had everything that they were looking for. She was a pretty blonde girl that was taken from her own bed at gunpoint and there was a witness. She lived in a high dollar/low crime neighborhood.

It's pretty scary when a child is taken for her own bedroom. It makes me extremely angry that some pervert would do this. Her story needed to be told. She needed to be found, but when they were showing her story, why didn't they cover a few of the over missing children and adults?

Now, let's compare Rachel's case. Rachel was abducted and there were no witnesses, no crime scene and she was 19 at the time. We live in a low crime neighborhood, but the houses are in the $150,000-$250,000 range, not $1.5 M. It's hard to make a story on that, but they won't even put her picture on for 30 seconds.

To answer your question, there are no organizations that I know of fighting directly for older missing person's rights. A few of the victims' rights organizations will help, but it's not their mission to lobby congress for missing person rights.

That is part of the reason that Janet and I formed the Rachel Alert Network. Janet, Tim Miller from Texas EquuSearch, and I all agree that a human life is important, no matter what age, race, location, sex, religious belief, etc. Tim has searched for people from ages 4 months to 83-years-old.

Take a look at Kent Jacob's site. He is 42-years-old with the mind of a 9-year-old. The national media won't cover his story and even law enforcement hasn't done much. http://www.hallontheweb.com/kentjacobs/

I'd better stop there. This is getting way too long.

19. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

Thanks RC

Do you find that the void exists mostly in the media or is there one within law enforcement as well? I remember you mentioning that with Rachels age they were leaning towards a "run-away" situation at first, due to her age. How long did it take them to get to the conclusion that she had not run away?
    Do you think investigations on the part of law enforcement are affected by race/sex/family income level? I would suspect the level of media attention would affect the level of political and public pressure the investigators may or may not get and in turn may or may not allow for additional assistance at local/federal government levels. If my theory is correct then victims that do not fall into the "magic realm" that the media looks at may not get the level of official investigation of those that do.
    I agree that any human life is important. This "missing persons" issue is an epidemic. One that has every potential of being cured if people could band together and make an effort. Already parents like yourself have made profound strides in making differences. I know it has been and will be a struggle. It is one I am willing to commit to.

20. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

P.S.

See ya at the search tomorrow!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice