Default FBI Seeks Missing Athlete's Brother

Friday, September 13, 2002

LOS ANGELES The FBI issued an arrest warrant for the brother of former NBA player Bison Dele on Friday, the day after Dele's sailboat was found in Tahiti.

Andrew Black, a spokesman for the San Francisco bureau of the FBI, said agents were seeking 35-year-old Miles Dabord, also known as Kevin Williams. He's the older brother of Dele, whose name used to be Brian Williams.

Dabord was being sought on an unlawful flight warrant issued by the FBI bureau in Phoenix, where he is suspected of trying to steal his brother's identity.

Black stopped short of calling Dabord a suspect in his brother's disappearance. The 33-year-old Dele hasn't been seen since July 8, along with his 30-year-old girlfriend Serena Karlan and Bertrand Saldo, the captain of Dele's 55-foot catamaran.
    ***snip

Manley said he's trying to stay positive, but finding it difficult.

"All the facts that keep unfolding, they don't bode well," Manley said. "The brother's missing in Mexico. The boat's been found, and the name's been painted over."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,63056,00.html

Default Dele is believed dead

Warrant issued for brother of former Nuggets player

By Brian D. Crecente, Rocky Mountain News
    September 16, 2002

French officials now fear that former Denver Nuggets player Bison Dele and two others are dead, and authorities in Tahiti are on the verge of opening a murder investigation.

The only arrest warrant issued in connection with the case is for Dele's brother, Miles Dabord, who was seen bringing Dele's boat into Tahiti alone days after the three were last seen on July 4. Dabord is still at large.

"I think they are dead," Michel Marotte, chief prosecutor for the French territory, told the Rocky Mountain News on Sunday. "We consider that this could be a murder investigation."

Dabord left New Zealand on a sailboat with Dele, Dele's girlfriend, Serena Karlan of Boulder, and captain Bertrand Saldo of France on May 2.

A month and a half later the 55-foot catamaran, the Hakuna Matata, sailed into the French Polynesian Islands.

The boat left again on July 4, listing only Dele, Karlan and Saldo as passengers, and it was missing until it was found empty last week.
    ***snip

Dabord called his mother after the disappearance to say he had gotten into an argument with his brother while on the boat, Marotte said Sunday.
    ***snip

Scott Ohlgren, Karlan's stepfather, said Sunday from Boulder that the three families have feared their loved ones dead since the disappearance.

"We've pretty much thought this all along," he said. "But I won't believe it until I see it."

Karlan's and Dele's families have discussed flying to Tahiti, but have so far decided against it. Saldo's family flew out to the island last week from France, Ohlgren added.

Dabord may be the only person who knows what happened to the three.

Phoenix police picked Dabord up for questioning on Sept. 5 after the 6-foot-8, 270-pound man tried to pass himself off as his brother and buy $152,000 in gold coins using his brother's checking account.
    ***snip

The Tribune reported that Dabord told his mother:

"Mom, I just need you to believe me. I wouldn't hurt my brother. I need to know that you love me before I die. I can't go to prison. You know my personality is the type that I can't survive in prison. Nobody will believe my story."

Law enforcement officials are concentrating their search for Dabord in Mexico.
    ***snip

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...419679,00.html

Default Another Missing Child From CA.

It appears there is another name to add to the list of Missing Children...When will this STOP...I'm nauseous over this. My prayers go out to the family of this child, even though she may be a runnaway there is still something fishy here. IMHO

http://treets.thesandiegochannel.com...l=12331645&t=1
    A small ripple now can cause a tsunami later!

Default FBI Arrests Ex-NBA Player's Brother

Friday, September 20, 2002

PAPEETE, Tahiti Investigators are examining whether missing NBA player Bison Dele and two companions may have been shot to death while sailing in the South Pacific, scouring his boat for any signs of bullet marks, a prosecutor said Thursday.
    ***snip

On Thursday the FBI arrested Dele's older brother, Miles Dabord, on a fraud charge filed in Phoenix and for allegedly fleeing arrest on that charge. Dabord was traveling with the group aboard the boat before the disappearances.

FBI Supervisor John Steiner in San Rafael, Calif. said Dabord was found comatose near the California-Mexico border Saturday night and was immediately transported to a San Diego area hospital.

Police in Chula Vista, Calif. said Dabord was found in Tijuana, Mexico just across the border. He was identified Thursday and remained in intensive care.

Steiner said Dabord was found alone, but he refused to provide details about his injuries or circumstances of his discovery.
    ***snip

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,63653,00.html

Default Wanted Brother Of Ex-NBA Player Arrested

Miles Dabord Found Unconscious In Mexico
    Posted: 7:43 a.m. PDT September 20, 2002
    Updated: 8:07 a.m. PDT September 20, 2002

SAN DIEGO -- A man wanted for questioning in the disappearance of his brother, former NBA player Bison Dele, was under arrest at a Chula Vista hospital, with FBI agents hoping he will emerge from a coma.
    ***snip

http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/sa...20-090910.html

Default Dabord dies at San Diego hospital

CHULA VISTA, Calif. (AP) -- The brother of missing NBA player Bison Dele died while hospitalized, a spokeswoman said late Friday.

Miles Dabord's mother had said Thursday that she would ask doctors to remove life support systems from her son, who authorities say is suspected of killing Dele.
    ***snip

Investigators believe Dabord was the only person who could have told them firsthand what happened to Dele.

The 35-year-old computer operator, whose name was once Kevin Williams, was found in Tijuana, Mexico, and taken to Scripps on Sept. 14. His mother has said he fell into the coma after overdosing on insulin and failing to take his asthma medication.
    ***snip

Investigators believe Dele, girlfriend Serena Karlan and boat captain Bertrand Saldo were killed while sailing in French Polynesia. They were last seen in early July near the tiny island of Maiao, west of Tahiti.

The French investigation will continue, but the part of the inquiry relating to Dabord will be dropped because someone who has died cannot be tried, French officials said.
    ***snip

Authorities have interviewed Dabord's former girlfriend, Erica Weise, who spent time with him on the island of Moorea after the others disappeared. She said there had been a struggle on the catamaran.
    ...snip

Dabord wasn't charged in his brother's disappearance. After returning to the United States, he signed his brother's name while trying to buy $152,000 worth of gold in Phoenix.

After he was hospitalized, he was arrested for investigation of impersonating his younger brother, who played for the Chicago Bulls' 1996-97 championship team.
    ***snip

Phillips said she was planning a private memorial service for both sons on Oct. 12.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...x.html?cnn=yes