Figure in Ramsey case surfaces again

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by JR, Oct 3, 2002.

1. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Sex offender in Boulder jail on violation
    By Marcos Mocine-McQueen
    Denver Post Staff Writer

Thursday, October 03, 2002 - A man once interrogated in the killing of JonBenét Ramsey is again in the Boulder County Jail - but not for long.

Gary Oliva, 38, is awaiting extradition to Oregon on a parole violation. He has a history of sexually abusing minors and lived blocks from the Ramseys at the time of the 1996 killing.

Four years later, police questioned him, and cleared him, after arresting him on unrelated charges.

"He was investigated, and we determined that he was not likely a suspect," said Cmdr. Joe Pelle, head of the Boulder police detective bureau.

Still, not everyone close to the case is convinced of Oliva's innocence.
    ***snip

"JonBenét's murder touched me very deeply," Oliva said. "I feel she was an exceptional girl whose death was an exceptional loss. I felt the need to build a monument, a shrine, to remember this little girl."

That, he said, is why he had a photo of JonBenét in his backpack when Boulder police arrested him on a drug charge in December 2000. Police also found a stun gun in the backpack. Some investigators, including Smit, believe a stun gun was used in the killing.
    ***snip

At the time he was arrested and questioned in 2000, Oliva gave police hair samples for DNA testing, he said.

The CBS News program "48 Hours Investigates" will air a segment Friday night on the Ramsey case. In a news release, CBS said it will interview Oliva and will air "police interrogation tapes." John and Patsy Ramsey, according to CBS, believe Oliva "deserves greater attention from investigators."

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%7E53%7E899236%7E,00.html

2. zapata

zapata Senior Member

JR

When you are right, you are right. Exactly what 48-Hours was about tonight.

I wish I had read this post earlier today.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice