Erin Moriarty.....

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tez, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Tez

Tez Member

I e-mailed Erin Moriarty to tell her how upset and displeased I was with the Ramsey Infomercial on CBS's 48 Hours. Of course, she didn't e-mail me back.

In my e-mail (which I will post when I get home from school/work), I pointed out a glaring inconsistency that Ms. Moriarty seems to pride herself on. She was asked by Nandee why Dr. Wecht wasn't interviewed for the story, and she told Nandee that Dr. Wecht got all of his information from the tabloids, therefore, he wasn't credible. (Nandee, correct me if I am wrong here!). Anyway, I pointed out to her that the program was all one-sided and asked her if she did her homework before she interviewed the Ramsey's. I felt that she let Patsy mislead everyone who watched about the fiber evidence. She didn't ask follow-up questions, and just basically let them run the show.

I am still angry about the whole fiasco. I wish I could just let this go, but for some reason I can't. I guess it is the "responsible journalism" thing that has me so upset! 48 Hours wasn't responsible in airing this story, I feel they had an obligation to air both sides of the issue, not just the Ramsey's spew.

2. Nandee

Nandee FFJ Senior Member

My initial question:

Why didn't you have a handwriting expert look at Oliva's handwriting and report those findings?

[Moriarty, Erin] I am a reporter, not a law enforcement agent. We interviewed and reported on Oliva not to point a finger at him or insinuate he should be a suspect...but to show leads that the police failed to follow up. The police had a opportunity to view his handwriting and failed to act on it. Furthermore, there were two other leads I reported on but simply couldn't fit that into our hour either.

I then sent her the recent quotes by Cyril Wecht and Mark Klaas:

"Wecht likened the circumstances of the Ramsey investigation to the movie "The Perfect Storm."

"Things came together in such a way that could never happen again," he said.

Wecht said evidence pointed to long-term sexual abuse of the 6-year-old girl, and that the family's account of her death was improbable. He also questioned whether a botched kidnapping was a realistic possibility.

"The kidnapper, in the dark, finds note paper and a pen and writes a three-page ransom note, names an improbable figure, and leaves without any evidence," Wecht said Wednesday. "And he forgets to take the body?

"Is that a bad joke?"

AND:

"I regret all the efforts that the Ramseys, along with their attorneys, have made to try to look as if they're in the same situation as all the other families who have lost children."

Her response:

I appreciate your interest. I was aware of both remarks as I watched when Mark Klaas made the statement (or one similar to that) on Larry King. While I have respect for both individuals, neither has worked on thiw case nor seen any investigation documents. Wecht has only seen the materials given to him by tabloids as part as their coverage.
    Again, thanks so much for writing and watching.
    Sincerely,
    Ern Moriarty

My response:

So, what you telling me is that Wecht wrote his book based on tabloid information?? You have got to be kidding! There are non so blind as those who will not see...... I see now why your piece was so unbalanced......

Her response:

You misunderstood my response, but I realize now that you weren't interested in my response. Have a good day.
    Sincerely,
    Erin Moriarty

My response:

You would think a lawyer and a reporter could type better and make themselves clear. You weren't interested in the facts in this case. Have a good day.

3. Tez

Tez Member

My e-mail

Dear Ms. Moriarty,

I want to let you know how disappointed I was in the interview that you did with the Ramsey's. The piece was not balanced at all. It was nothing more than a Ramsey infomercial. I expected at the very least, the evidence to be presented that points directly to Patsy Ramsey. Yes, you did bring up the fibers, but then you let her give an answer that was very vague. Did you not do your homework before you interviewed these two?

You have lost a viewer to your program. It was nothing more than tabloid style reporting. The very thing that you said that Dr. Wecht relied on to write his book.

Thanks Nandee for posting that! I appreciate it!

4. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

Nandee/Tez

Great work and I appreciate very much you two sharing this.

Was Erins reply just a bit snippy? HA ! I think you got her on this piece.

5. Tez

Tez Member

Sparky.....

She at least answered Nandee's e-mail. She didn't even attempt to explain her position to me. I would think by now, she would have figured out that "we beer can collectors" know more about the case then she does. Personally, I think she went from a script that LL Woody gave her. But, that is just my personal opinion!

6. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

Tez

Where can I get her email address?.. oh, I guess I go to 48 hours, huh?

I have a few things to say and a few questions too.

Maybe she's still thinking about how she's gonna answer you...ya think?

7. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Way to go!

Tez, Nandee, Sparky--let's all get on Ms. Snippy's back. She is an airhead and will never amount to much as an investigative reporter, especially if she gets all her "facts" from the shyster lawyer who is defending the perps.

8. Nandee

Nandee FFJ Senior Member

9. Tez

Tez Member

Sparky....

She isn't going to answer me. She isn't an investigative reporter, she is just a script reader. If she were a true investigative reporter, she would have questioned the Ramsey's on their inconsisitencies, and she would have presented a balanced show. And she did neither. The lights are on, but no one is home!

Nandee, thanks for posting her e-mail. Maybe she will rue the day that she actually reported this case the way she did. I doubt it, but I can dream.

10. Nandee

Nandee FFJ Senior Member

Hey Erin....

can you spell f-o-l-l-o-w u-p q-u-e-s-t-i-o-n??????

11. Tez

Tez Member

Yep....

You would have thought she would know what a follow up question was, being that she is a "investigative reporter." I was really thinking about this today. She just let Patsy spin the fibers any way she wanted to. Never mind the fact that the tape and the white blanket were left in the basement. Never mind the fact that the report said they were entertwined (sp) in the garrotte(sp). And never mind, that they were in the paint tote. To me, one of the most damning pieces of evidence is the fibers being in the garrotte, not just on the garrotte, but entertwined in the garrotte. There is no innocent explanation for that. And on the tape, the tape, as I remember was placed on JB's mouth either after she was dead or after she was incapacitated to a degree where she didn't even open her mouth. I seem to remember that the lip impression of the tape, matched her lips perfectly, and there was no evidence that she even tried to open her mouth after the tape was placed on it. The fibers being on the tape further convince me that Patsy is hiding something.

12. AK

AK Member

Good work, you gals!

CBS should hire you and dump Moriarty. She must be a graduate of the mame School of Investigative Reporting.

Erin, did you read the Globe piece which outlines some of the ways the Ramseys schnookered you? Have you figured out yet all the errors you made? The Globe story only covered some of them. And who were those other three pathologists who supported the lunatic stun gun theory? Name 'em, please!

As a side note, I see Poopy Pigeon is trying to get her smitts on the 'JAR at the ATM' imagery. I've got it but even if she could afford the search/edit fee I'd charge for providing it, I'd turn down her request on principle. Does make me wonder what's her motivation in asking for it. By even reintroducing the question, she's doing JAR no favors. No wonder the Ramseys don't trust the Swampsters.

13. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hey FedoraX!

I'm done with 48 hours, I always thought they did do a fair job of investigation but the Ramsey piece proved that was totally not true. It does make one wonder how they gather their information and who gives them the story ideas.

I think Jamsy forgot/lost/never had the JAR picture at the ATM and is deperate to find it somehow, somewhere, from someone. Otherwise, who cares? Talk about beating a dead horse there...
    I know lots of ATM's don't even take pictures, but if you say it's so, Fed, I'll believe it. I don't know if I ever saw it or not or it's all those OTHER pictures of OTHER guys I'm remembering. You know, like AMW stories or whatever.

Hold that picture close, Fed! You wouldn't want it kidnapped/ransomed/murdered.

14. AK

AK Member

Yo, Vic!

Yes, 48 Hours' Ramsey fest does make one wonder about other shows they've done. But I've been complaining about CBS News for years now.

Don't worry, I won't be parting with the photo any time soon. But there is no question that I have it.

15. imon128

imon128 Banned

48 Hours

I used to think the show credible, too, until the Ramsey piece. Now, it makes all their other shows suspect. Smit's piece on there really pushed the rock over the ledge. I find it incredible that Erin didn't challenge how an intruder could have got through that window without leaving a truckload of evidence. I was further disappointed that she didn't delve into JB's sexual violation. That would have tied in with John's and Smit's convoluted pedophile theory.

And that reminds me, Smit's always saying JonBenet was a pedophiles dream. How does HE know what a pedophile dreams about and I'd like for him to share those 'dreams' with us. Might give us an insight about ol' Lou Dee Doo, who knows?

16. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

48 Hours

has been limping along for years, but you know, if you don't know anything about the subject matter, you could easily be misled by the misinformation put out by that show. It is true that every other show they have ever done is now suspect because of the way they handled the Ramsey show. Ramsey show. Ramsey show. Sounds like a sitcom, doesn't it, LOL.

BTW, on another matter, yonder forum says Limpwood has taken Condit on as a client in a lawsuit against a website, I believe. Whoopdie doo. Limpy seems to attract the scumbags of this world, yes?

17. imon128

imon128 Banned

About that TV show

A TV show called The Ramseys. Good idea. Patsy can play PEG Bundy, John can be Al, and.....LinP Wood can be the cashier in the local 5 and dime. Yeah, this could be big.

18. Nandee

Nandee FFJ Senior Member

Oh...

And Crazy Aunt Pam could play Mrs. Kravitz!!

19. ACandyRose

ACandyRose Super Moderator

Re: Good work, you gals!

FedoraX,

Although I respect your desire to not distribute the photo freely (even though I would love to see it :p), is it possible that you could verify that the photo was at one time or another out on the Internet somewhere or in a news article somewhere or maybe even posted on a forum somewhere?

I am sure I remember seeing it long time ago but can't recall where. It's one of those things like the 911 tape, some say they heard it (on the Geraldo show I think it was), others claim it was never broadcast anywhere. I never heard the 911 tape myself but I do recall seeing that photo somewhere. Of all the chit I have saved over the years I can't believe I don't have it but then again my cataloging system is much to be desired after getting spread over several computers and a thousand floppies.

20. AK

AK Member

ACR

Truth is, I have no way to easily scan video to make an image, even if I wanted to. I'd have to go to an editing bay which is costly, not to mention hiring someone to search through a massive amount of tape to find it. It was broadcast, however. I'd prefer not to name the show. I have never seen it online or in print. The 911 call has never been broadcast or transcribed, no matter what people think they have seen or heard.

Hilarious about Lin Wood and Condit. But then Lin's support of his father over his dead mom evokes the Condit kids' view of their folks. On a side note, Cadee and her bro just issued a letter asking Democratic voters to cross parties and vote for the other candidate in the race for their dad's old seat. So apparently the only thing they are loyal to is their Papa. Of course, he's made certain they've had a lotta green in their pockets.

If Jeff Shapiro gets out of law school (heh!), perhaps LLW will hire him. Wonder if JSS asked Lin to handle his suit against Schiller. Even Wood isn't that crazy to take on such a loser case.

As far as 48 Hours, I think it's largely a problem with Erin Moriarty. She won't be getting a Pulitzer for that piece, that's fer shure. By and large, nothing matches Dateline or 20/20 in their investigative pieces. CBS has never really been competitive, at least in the true crime venue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice