Please boycott the Rob Nelson Show!!

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by JR, Nov 13, 2002.

1. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

The Cookes were contacted and told that the Rob Nelson show was looking for guests for this Friday's filming of the show in LA.

After taking many hours out of their busy day, rearranging their schedules to take time away from work, and rescheduling a doctor appointment so they could drop every thing to fly to LA tomorrow, Rob Nelson's staff dropped a bomb on the Cookes. The main producer decided that Rachel was too old to be on their show about missing kids.

Wouldn't it have been better all around to change the title of the show to <u>Missing Persons</u> and not further hurt the Cooke family?

I for one will <b>never</b> watch the Rob Nelson show after what they just put the Cooke family through! Please join me in boycotting this new show.

I promise you RC, that I will work very hard to help expose the Rob Nelson Show in the media and to all organizations involved in searching for or supporting our missing and exploited of all ages.

Clearly, Rob Nelson and staff should not be involved with victims of crime in any manner since they do not understand that the first rule is to do no harm.

2. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Talk about major jerks!

Let's all help to pull the plug on Rob Nelson.

3. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

No need to worry RC.....

People like Nelson self destruct in a short period of time.......

You and Janet are so hard working and sincere on behalf of Rachel, it won't be long before another more relevant venue will come your way....

Voyager

4. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

On the brighter side

I received this via e-mail. A lot of people think Rachel's story is important, even if she isn't under 18. Olivia is referring to my journal entry about yesterday's events with Rob Nelson's people. http://www.rachelcookesearch.org/journal_nov.html

Dear Mr and Mrs Cooke and family.

My name is Olivia M. and I live in Sydney, Australia. I first heard about Rachel's story on Inside Edition here, many months ago. Ever since then I have visited your website every day, hoping and praying that Rachel will be returned to you safely. I am around the same age as Rachel and have a similar life to the one she had - I am 19 and am studying at university.
    I read your journal every day and today's entry made me feel terrible (Wednesday Nov 13). I guess I finally decided to email you as I imagine you are feeling quite frustrated about the lack of exposure for Rachel.
    I just wanted to let you now that I, a teenager on the other side of the world knows about it, and is thinking of you all every day. I'm sure there are many others out there whose lives have been touched by your courage and strength, as well as the lesson that Rachel's life bought along with it.

I hope that you do not think that my emailing is inappropriate, or a waste of time. I just wanted to let you know that there are people thinking of you.

God bless,
    Olivia M.
    Sydney, Australia

5. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

From the other side of the world

Dear Mr and Mrs Cooke & JoAnn

I was encouraged by the email you've received from Australia to write you myself. I am also from another part of the world from Finland,Europe. I read about Rachel on Unsolved mysteries web page and since then I've been following the case everyday by reading Mr Cooke's journal. Every single day I enter the page I hope and pray that Rachel has been found.

It' made me cry to read about what the Rob Nelson Show did to you. I can't understand that why people are not so much interested in missing people if they are over 18, every missing persons is someones child!!

I am a mother of one baby boy and it breaks my heart when I think how awful, helpless and sad you feel because Rachel is not there with you. By writing this mail, I want to express my sympathy to you Mr, Mrs and JoAnn Cooke. I wish you strength during this hard time, every night I remember you in my prayers. I pray for Rachel's safe return.

I hope you don't think this mail in inappropriate I just wanted to let you know that there's a lot of people thinking and praying for you.

God bless,
    Anne
    Finland,Europe

6. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

A quick update for you on the Rob Nelson show. The show that invited RC and Janet on to talk about Rachel then cancelled at the last minute because Rachel is 19.

This week the producers of the show did the exact same thing to a woman who has two children missing. Called her up. Told her to come out. She got all excited. Called her back and told her because her children were foster children she would not be needed.

Can these people get any lower?

7. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Pull the plug!

These people haven't a clue about how to treat those who are already in pain from not knowing where their loved one/s is.

Their behavior is totally unbelievable. JMHO.

PULL THE PLUG! or get educated.

Maybe the best approach here is to become proactive and try to get a law passed that any show that deals with families who have been a victim of a crime must have a Victim's Advocate on their staff - and the producers have to work with the VA and establish rules up front.

8. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Rob Nelson Show Research

Executive Producer

Linda Ellman is an Emmy Award-winning veteran of television news and entertainment with more than 25 years experience in local and network news, in addition to network, syndicated and cable programming.
    ***snip

Under the banner of her own production company, Ellman Entertainment, Linda most recently created and executive produced two daytime magazine series for Lifetime Television, "Lifetime Now" and "Speaking of Women's Health." Ellman Entertainment is also producing 12 episodes of Lifetime's "Intimate Portrait" series.

Ellman launched her company in 1995 with the Emmy Award-winning crime show, "Save Our Streets." Before "SOS," Linda was the Executive Producer of Paramount Television's "Hard Copy." She is credited with turning that program into a critical and ratings success.
    ***snip

As a news reporter and producer, Linda was an eyewitness to history during most of the major news events of the '70s, '80s and early '90s-- from wars and natural disasters to presidential campaigns and conventions, from Tiananmen Square to the opening of the Berlin Wall.

http://therobnelsonshow.com/categoryA/2.asp?category_id=27&categoryA1_id=51

Ms. Ellman needs some education on how one treats those who have been victims of a crime. JMHO.

9. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Finally a man who listens?

What separates THE ROB NELSON SHOW from other talk shows? Rob! He’s a regular guy and his life experiences give him a unique understanding of the world in which we all live. Often described as the GenXer’s answer to Donahue, Rob probes, pushes and looks for answers with a keen wit and warm sensitivity. Now he’s taking one of daytime’s most successful formats and reinventing it for the 21st century.

http://therobnelsonshow.com/index.asp?category_id=24

"Warm sensitivity?" Not if he allows people already in pain to be treated in the manner we are hearing about.

10. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

I will join in the boycot

I too am appauled to hear of this news. I will not tolerate discrimination of any kind. I will stand up and be a voice to expose their practices. I consider this an opportunity to show people in this world how devestating and harmful such behavior can be to the families of lost loved ones. I consider this an opportunity to bring more light to Rachels story. The media does not often realize how their actions can become the story. I encourage you Robert, to look at the possibilities of making this a platform not only for Rachels story to get in the news, but also for the message I know you carry with you to every source you can. The message that we as a nation and a people cannot close our eyes and hearts to ANY missing person regardless of age, race, sex, religion, status. Maybe this is the event that will open people's eyes.
    I will take action and spread the word as I am able and will stand up with the Cooke's and anyone else in the effort to expose what has happend and carry Rachel's story and Rachel's message to the minds and hearts of those listening.

11. AK

AK Member

Ooh boy...

Here I go again, being contrary.

What's unfortunate is that the Cookes were approached before the show booker had the facts of the program. Hard to say whose fault that was. It's sad that hopes got raised, then dashed.

I think RC and his family, and the forum folks here, know that this is a tough booking. More attention is, and must be, spent on minor children. That said, RC's efforts to expand that thinking is worthy and effective.

Nelson's is a new show, and with that comes lots of "chickens with their heads cut off" behavior. Rob also had a short-time talk show on FOX that didn't work -- he's got a lot riding on this. He's not my cup of tea, but people seem to believe in him, for now anyway.

There's a good chance things will roll around to them giving another try at a show that will feature Rachel's case. If that happens, RC, do it and don't dwell on this past experience.

Btw, Linda Ellman is legendary in talk TV. She's done more programs to help people in need than you will ever know. She is utterly professional and trusted by the top exex in her field.

The nature of talk TV is that things are often done by the seat of one's pants. I realize it's hard not to take it personally when mistakes happen which affect you, but I'm confident this was a simple booking error compounded by possible rudeness.

It's always better to focus on what goes right. IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2002
  12. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

Move for a second program

Many of you have not be involved in some of the private e-mails that have been going around. JR started this thread before I told her that I would rather focus on working with the Rob Nelson people to host a program on missing adults now that they did one on missing children.

This will still not excuse what they did to Janet and me and the other family, but it may help in the long run. I've watched Linda Ellman many times and I doubt she knew how the producers were treating their potential guest.

If they refuse to do a program on missing adults, then we can take other routes.

13. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Ooooooh

it's hard not to take it personally when something like this happens, but the truth is, it's business, and that's the hard, cold fact. Someone got their information screwed up then had to back track, and in that business, toes get stepped on. So, I agree with FedoraX in that instance, but I don't agree that minor children should be given more attention than older children, although I understand the reasoning behind that thought.

I suppose it's because minor children are more vulnerable and more helpless, but when it comes to kidnappings and criminals, a 19-year-old woman's odds of fighting off a male attacker aren't much better than a minor's chances. Everyone is someone's child, and it doesn't matter the age of that child when she comes up missing. There should be, perhaps, a different category but equal urgency for older missing and presumed abducted children - say 18-25 category.

14. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

children vs adults

I actually think that children under 12 should be given priority over adults in the speed alerts are issued. Very few 8-year-olds run away by themselves. However that does not mean that teens and adults should be ignored or given secondary treatment.

When people refer to me as a advocate for missing adults, I always correct them. I am an advocate for missing persons. Everyone is important and should be given equal attention. There are training programs for law enforcement to help determine when a person might of left on his/her own and I think every law enforcement agent should go through the training.

15. wordcharmer

wordcharmer Guest

This Rob Nelson seems to mimick the response many of us get when we tell authorities that our missing loved one is an adult. My daughter contacted his web site, I believe and got this response in an e-mail:

“If he is an adult, there is nothing we can doâ€.

How frustrating, when we are told that our loved ones do not matter to them.

It is exactly because of comments like this that I have started a new web site called "Missing By Choice". I will allow anyone with loved ones who are missing for any reason, to post their pictures and a letter to their loved one on the site. Even if they are not "missing by choice."

To the Cooke family, my heart aches for you. I keep you in my prayers.

Missing By Choice

http://www.suite101.com/myhome.cfm/missingbychoice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice