Keenan starts aggressive review of Ramsey case

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Hey Keenan is actually going to something concerning the Ramsey case.

From the KUSA web site comes this story.

BOULDER - Close to six years after JonBenet Ramsey’s body was found in the basement of her parent’s home, the Boulder District Attorney has ordered an aggressive review of the unsolved murder.
    *snip*
    District Attorney Mary Keenan has assigned herself and one of her chief deputies to the case.
    *snip*
    You can read more about this story in Friday’s Denver Post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anybody is up early catch the Denver Post article. Seems Keenan has, for some reason, decided it's time to do something.

One can only hope.

Tricia

2. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Hope is here...

JonBenet Ramsey case under review
    DA meets with area prosecutors as 6th anniversary of slaying approaches
    By Howard Pankratz and Kieran Nicholson Denver Post Staff Writers

Friday, December 20, 2002 - Boulder District Attorney Mary Keenan has launched an aggressive review into the murder of JonBenet Ramsey, assigning herself and one of her chief deputies to the case, The Denver Post has learned.
    Following years of police investigation and lengthy grand jury proceedings, the brutal Dec. 26, 1996, murder of the 6-year-old girl in her parents' Boulder home still hasn't been solved.

But Jim Peters, the Arapahoe County district attorney and president of the Colorado District Attorneys Council, said Keenan wants to find the murderer.

"It is pretty clear she wants to do everything she can to keep the investigation moving forward and active," Peters said Thursday night.

Peters said he doesn't believe the sixth anniversary of JonBenet's death has anything to do with Keenan's interest.

Peters refused to say whether investigators have uncovered new evidence that might help solve the case.

Keenan called Peters several weeks ago and visited Peters in his office with the chief deputy she has assigned to the case.

"She is trying to leave no stone unturned," Peters said.

Keenan couldn't be reached for comment Thursday night.

Peters said the meeting, the first of several that will include Denver-area District Attorneys Bob Grant, Bill Ritter and Dave Thomas, was a brainstorming session about the Ramsey case.

"She is planning to meet with all the metro DAs to pick our brains and chat about some of the evidentiary items," Peters said. "She is getting our ideas on directions the case might go based on her conversations with us."

Peters, Ritter, Grant and Thomas were part of the team of advisers for former Boulder District Attorney Alex Hunter during the murder investigation.

Two of the top prosecutors assigned to the Boulder grand jury investigation had connections with the Denver DA's office. Mike Kane was a former deputy in the Denver office, and Mitch Morrissey is a chief deputy in Denver.

A three-page ransom note was found by the child's mother, Patsy, in the early hours of Dec. 26 on a staircase of the large Tudor home that Patsy shared with her husband, John, JonBenet and her brother, Burke.

The note demanded $118,000 for the child's safe return.

John Ramsey discovered his daughter's body about eight hours later in the basement storage room, where Christmas gifts had been kept earlier.

Peters said Keenan, who was one of the first prosecutors at the crime scene, and the chief deputy have completed a thorough review of the case.

"They are seeking suggestions on how to move the case forward," said Peters.

Hunter said Keenan has met with some of the district attorneys who were his advisers and some who sat on a panel put together by Gov. Bill Owens.

"I just think that it's the kind of case that should not be forgotten, and she doesn't want to forget it," Hunter said of Keenan.

Grant, Adams County district attorney, and state Deputy Attorney General Don Quick declined to comment on whether they or their offices have had discussions with Keenan.

The death of the child beauty queen shocked Colorado and the nation. Friends and acquaintances remembered JonBenet as a beloved and beautiful little girl who won beauty pageants for children.

At times, the parents were the subject of suspicion, but they denied any involvement in their daughter's death.

Lin Wood, an Atlanta attorney for John and Patsy Ramsey, said late Thursday that he would support any new investigation if Keenan is willing to steer the case to investigators outside the Boulder Police Department.

"That is the only chance we have of solving the case," Wood said.

Wood has been in contact with the Boulder district attorney's office but didn't know about Keenan's recent plans, he said.

"I hope Mary Keenan is looking at a viable alternative" to rekindle the investigation, Wood said.

Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner could not be reached for comment.

When the grand jury returned no indictments in the case, lead prosecutor Kane remained optimistic.

"I don't think anybody commits the perfect crime," Kane said. "Given sufficient time, every case is solvable. And I don't think this case is any different."

9News contributed to this report.

3. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

Get real!

Brainstorming with Bob Grant? Get real! He tap-danced around the truth until it was down right embarrassing. His ramblings were, IMHO, "much ado about nothing."
    I hope we will not be subjected to that same old same old again. If they have some new evidence or a fresh approach, along with some new, smart, dedicated people to deal with it, then, by all means, go ahead. Otherwise, get thee back into thy Boulder hot-tubs, and SHUT UP!

GL

4. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Oh so Linn Wood thinks he gets to steer the investigation? Whatever. What an ***.

5. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

Merry Christmas, John and Patsy!

This is the downside to getting away with murdering your own little girl on Christmas night....having to live with the knowlege that there's no statute of limitations on murder and that someone might be out there ready to "getcha" at any moment.

6. Ayeka

Ayeka Member

Hm

I am going to have to adopt a wait and see attitude with this. I can have a measure of faith that perhaps Keenan's sincere, and will look at all of the evidence (I wonder if there is anything left that we're not aware of at this point? So many leaks in recent months, about the hand- and shoeprint, and the newly revealed DNA sample...). It's hard because I don't think politics in Boulder have sufficiently changed in 6 years... but I could be wrong, she could do it.

Shall we begin a list for Mary?

* Get yer hands on those d@mn phone records if you can.

* Interview Grandpa Paugh -- has anyone ever interviewed him? -- as to why he left Boulder before Christmas was even over... That always seemed a bit hinky to me.

Ayeka

7. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

What has Mary Keenan done since she took office?

Nothing that I can see. Of course she could have been working day and night behind the scenes to find the killer of JBR....

Yeah right!

Guys this reeks to high heaven of all show and no action.

Why now?

Is it because so much has been leaked that makes the Ramsey's look totally guilty, therefore, Keenan feels like she has to get off her Alex Hunter couch and act like a D.A.?

I think that's the reason.

I don't hold any hope that anything will come of this.

A paper tiger. That's all the D.A.'s office is. Thin with no substance when it comes to taking on the tough cases.

Ayeka good point. How about getting those phone records huh?

Tricia

8. BobC

A little birdie told me that we can thank Lin Wood for this renewed interest in the case. Let's hope they can do something with what they have. If no murder charge, then how about the long-rumoured but never happened Obstruction of Justice charges?

9. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

well,

this may be wishful thinking, but.. what if someone (not Limppy) told her some really good inciminating stuff that can convict someone (Patsy? John?) of this horrific murder?

Wouldn't that really put a few feathers in her hat?

10. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

well, well, well

Leave it to Sparky to put it all in a nutshell:

"this may be wishful thinking, but.. what if someone (not Limppy) told her some really good inciminating stuff that can convict someone (Patsy? John?) of this horrific murder?

Wouldn't that really put a few feathers in her hat?"

You bet it would.
    I hope you are right.
    GL

11. BobC

Well, Sparkie--after the Enquirer/Jameson thing, I would never say anything's impossible at this point! If that scenario came to pass I think we'll all go completely insane!

12. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Mixed Emotions

I tend to be a little skeptical about Keenan's apparent change of heart. If all she's going on is a pow-wow with those three Hunter clones, Ritter, Grant, and Thomas, I'd say she has nada--zip--nothing.

OTOH, if she's looking at the enhanced mitochondrial DNA samples found on the garrote; or the brown fibers found on JonBenet's privates that match John Ramsey's shirt--well, then I'd say she's cookin' with gas.

Look out, Leroy Lincoln--you may get what you wished for....a new investigation that will lead your clients, John and Patsy, straight to Death Row!

13. BobC

I'm with you Lurker. I don't want to get my hopes up too high. I 'd take a jay-walking conviction at this point. Followed by an unfortunate Rodney King style incident, for no apparent reason.

14. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

...and for Patsy...

one of those unique prison experiences for women that they show on Lifetime and WE movies about good girls who have gone bad.

15. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Don't Lose Faith

After such a long lull in activity in this case, the recent unfolding events what with their mouthpiece selling out to the Ramsey's most hated evil tabloids at the exact time that Fleet White is finally allowed to seek justice. Toss in the scientific evidence and SUDDENLY the future seems much brighter.

Except in one certain Georgia household, that is. IMHO.

RR

16. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

-----

Looks to me like Keenan is gonna get a few people checked out to get Woody/Rams off her back and then she and Beckner will go for the gusto

FedEx said they should check everyones' underwear that went through Boulder and I agree..

When pats and Johnny sent their clothes they were wearing that night, did they also send their underwear?

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander I always say.

17. BobC

I'd prefer not to look at John Ramsey's underpants. Thanks though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice