THE GLOBE - New Hunt for JB Killer

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Watching You, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

January 14, 2003

JAILHOUSE CONFESSION TAKES HEAT OFF RAMSEYS

Six years after the death of JonBenet Ramsey, a convict in a federal prison has confessed to her murder, and the case has been reopened with the spotlight shifting from her parents for the first time....

....a man serving 14 years in connection with a plot to kill doctors and staff at abortion clinics...once vowed "no child will be slaughtered."

This man says JB was killed by a fellow inmate at California's Lompac Federal Penitentiary....

....Boulder District Attorney Mary Keenan has relaunched the investigation and will look at other potential suspects...

Lin Wood believes it is a watershed in the case - "It is clear from my discussion with D.A. Keenan and from her Dec. 20 letter to me that John and Patsy Ramsey are no longer the focus of the investigation into the murder of their daughter," he tells GLOBE. "Those days are over. The investigation is finally going in a new direction. The Ramseys for the first time in six years have real hope that JB's killer will be brought to justice."

Among the potential suspects is the Lompoc inmate who allegedly confessed to jailhouse buddies that he had broken into the Ramsey home and murdered the little girl.

"The guy seems to have intimate information about the Ramseys..."...."Who can tell at this stage how vital this information could be."

The alleged confession was made to the anti-abortion terrorist Robert Cook, who passed the information on to Wood. Cook also got himself an attorney to collect the rewards if his information helps to solve the case (The Plot Thickens).

Shea tells GLOBE that he cannot discuss his client's information, but says Cook believed that the information could earn him $1 Million in rewards. At the moment the name of the alleged killer is being kept secret, but it will eventually be passed on to authorities.

Wood states, "The information we have from Mr. Cook will be passed on to D.A. Keenan, along with details of other people we believe are potential suspects."

Keenan says she believes that the Boulder police have already done a thorough investigation of the Ramseys as potential suspects, and she will concentrate her resources on leads not previously investigated and on new information.

Keenan also vowed to "work cooperatively" with Lou Smit, who became convinced of the Ramseys' innocence while investigating the case after being hired by Alex Hunter in 1997.

"I'm real hapopy now," says Smith. "There will be a real honest look at the intruder theory. This gives the Ramseys some relief."

Smit says, "There are two or three suspects that look real good for JB 's murder. Whoever did this left behind a lot of evidence - handwriting, hairs and maybe a sample of DNA that the police have not told anyone about."

Former Chief Deputy District Attorney in Denver, Craig Silverman, says it's a strange development for Boulder cops to turn away from the "only two people known to be under the umbrella of suspicion. The only way for the Ramseys to get the case away from focusing on them as the perpetrators is to take and pass an FBI-administered polygraph."

But Lin Wood states, "District Attorney Keenan has clearly indicated to me that she sees no reason for the Ramseys to take an FBI lie detector test."

Keenan herself says a decision to change direction has been made for only one reason - "the fact that a violent child murder is at large."

2. Watching You

I think Keenan should step down

and Lin Wood and Lou Smit should become the new D.A. and Assistant D.A. of Boulder, CO, since they seem to be calling all the shots. If this article is true, Keenan is an a$$.

3. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

"The guy seems to have intimate information about the Ramseys..."

Pretty hard not to have "intimate information" about the Ramseys six years, hundreds of news articles (and web sites), multiple talk shows and at least a dozen books later unless one has totally buried one's head in the sand.

4. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Jailhouse "confessions" are as common as snowflakes. The BPD got thousands of false leads, crackpot information, and bogus theories over the past 6 years. What I find fascinating here is Comrade Wood's statement about Keenan saying the R's didn't need to take an FBI lie detector test. If this isn't true, you would think Keenan would step up to the plate and say so. I'd bet money we won't hear a thing. They just want the case to go away.

5. purr

purr Active Member

what a bunch of crapola !!!!!

yea, yea, yea............

let's test his handwriting to see if he wrote that note!!!!!

they ALWAYS forget.....whomever wrote that note.....
    murdered JonBenet......

that important evidence will NEVER go away!!!!!!

purrfectly ridiculous,
    purr

6. purr

purr Active Member

yea, yea, yea............

murdered JonBenet......

purrfectly ridiculous,
    purr

7. purr

purr Active Member

ya, ya, ya.....

murdered JonBenet......

purrfectly ridiculous,
    purr

8. Ayeka

Ayeka Member

Gee purr

Tell us how you really feel! ;)

This is a red herring all the way. It behooves them to track this man's whereabouts on the night of Dec 25th/26th just so the Ramseys can't scream that no one else is being investigated. But I'll believe it when Jail Man divulges some bit of information to the authorities that hasn't been made public. If there's any such creature still in existence.

Ayeka

9. AK

AK Member

Check him out, scratch him off

Woodenhead is just baiting Keenan with the FBI quote. She's smart to not respond. It's protecting the case. She'll speak up in the courtroom.

10. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

FedX

I really want to have your confidence concerning Keenan...can you bottle some and send it to me? Having watched her not do much of anything Ramsey-related since she has been in office, I am a bit hesitant at the moment. I keep trying to remember she has a fairly decent track record...but geez...show me the arrest and prosecution! I am all for not prosecuting until you feel really sure you can get a conviction...but I am not convinced that is what the DA has been waiting for.

What do you think about an FBI polygraph...has it been too long to make a difference now for the Rams?

11. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Huh? What's so "not brave" about saying she never said that?

12. AK

AK Member

Sure, kiddo

I've got enough zest to go around!

Just because we, the public, don't see things happening doesn't mean Keenan or the BPD have been idle this whole time. The cops spent a nice chunk 'o change on the case last year, including overtime and travel, as I recall.

Good question about the FBI poly. I will ask around about that.

No matter how frustrating the wait is, nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is worse than seeing the jury come back with the verdict you don't wanna hear.

I told you guys about the Sandra Orellano case -- young woman plunged to her death from a hotel balcony after excessive drinking with her married boss. His defense was they were having sex when she rose up to get a better position and whoops! Lab techs proved his story didn't work.

Two years her family waited for elements to line up. Local DAs told them it wasn't ready. Bull-headed prosecutor gambled it was... and lost.

Prepare to see the acquitted "victim" on TV soon, saying how he was seduced by a suicidal drunk, falsely charged and tried, and that he's looking into suing the city, et al.

There are worse things than waiting!!

On a lighter note, I had to LOL at Feldman today complaining that he was rushed into trial. I bet when he looks in a mirror his face sticks its tongue out at him.

13. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

a whole lotta

what I'm seeing is Linny saying this and Linny saying that ... the focus is off his clients, they are finally investigating others, the DA has moved on, but its all coming out his mouth and I don't believe a word he says. It's all PR crap.

It reminds me of the line we've all had crammed down our collective throats so long - the BPD has rushed to judgement and hasn't investigated anyone else. The RST scream it out loud and long and some gullible sheep bleat out the refrain. Repeating a lie doesn't make it true - it only makes people who can't think for themselves believe it is true.

The only thing that keeps me from totally giving up is the thought that the guilty will face their maker someday and pay for that which they haven't repented of. The least of which I believe to be knowledge of what happened that awful night. Not only that but I believe they will face their little girl one day. I hope they are prepared for that.

Sorry for the rant but worry about this latest news and the stupid letter sent to Wood by Keenan have set me off!

14. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Re: Sure, kiddo

OK FedX...you made my geeky day...thanks...and I agree...we have waited this long...and I would wait this long again if it will result in a conviction!

15. Watching You

Feldman tepped on his own *ick

didn't he, hahaha. Oh wait, wasn't it he who demanded a speedy trial? So, it backfired on him, and now he is complaining. I agree with Brenda van Dam about Feldman. He knew his clent was guilty as sin. He could have given him a vigorous defense without dragging Danielle's parents through the mud. I have no sympathy for him.

A murder trial in the case of JBR would focus on who did what after the fact. There have been six years of stupid moves by many of the players in the case which would be used by both the prosecutor and the defense attorneys. Hunter was a prime example of a DA doing irrepairable damage to his own case when he denegrated Steve Thomas, one of the investigators on the case, in public. If I were a defense attorney, my eyes would have lit up like Christmas trees when I heard that. Hunter also screwed up royally when he made the statement about Nancy Krebs that he made publically. The we have the vengeful Lou Smit, who showed confidential evidence to the world via world-wide TV and crockumentaries. And, don't forget the Ramseys and their TV appearances. The Jamsey sideshows may not matter much in a court room, but don't think it wouldn't come out somehow.

Consider this: Hunter is on the witness stand. The defense is asking him if he made that degrading statement about Steve Thomas. What kind of effect would that have on a jury - if the D.A. said ST was inept and not credible?

I really can't see this case ever going to trial, whether it's a Ramsey on trial or someone else. Too much damage has been done, and they know it.

16. AK

AK Member

Yeah, but...

Trials bring out the worst of both sides and justice can still prevail if the facts about the defendants are solid. Here, they're not. Yet.

ST was a problem to this case long before he left it. This was a view shared by many inside the investigation. His itchy trigger finger approach made him emotional and unreliable, and he didn't get along with many of his peers. In the end, he's not much different from Smit.

Hunter's big mouth was unfortunate, but I don't see him doing lasting harm. Anything he said represented how he felt at the time, impolitic as it might have been. I think he will take the stand, give some background on how frustrating the process was, which the jury will understand, and he'll be rehabilitated. Keenan's learned from that and isn't saying a peep, for which she should be cheered.

ST will leave a hole when he's not called to testify for the prosecution, but the two main cops in the Westerfield case who were caught in a controversy were also not used and there was a conviction. Others filled in the gaps, including the always remarkable lab techies who have seen it all but take special offense when kids are killed. I believe they will make the difference in the Ramsey case. I dream of the day when they are on a witness list that's handed to the judge.

In the Bellush case, a wealthy psychopath who hated his ex-wife, the mother of his two daughters and a mom of quads when she remarried, had three inept hitmen kill her. This was a mess of a case that took years to get to court. It involved two states, liar witnesses on all sides, little solid proof and other vexing conditions. But Allen Blackthorne was finally convicted. The jury foreman said later (I'm paraphrasing), "They gave us lots of puzzle pieces that didn't add up to a puzzle. Still, we could figure out which pieces were missing and why, and eliminated reasonable doubt."

In the Marecek case which was on 48 Hours last night, the defense spin team targeted the chief witness by using the Internet and PIs to say he was a spy, and when that didn't work, a double rapist. Systematically, the prosecution investigated these charges and found them baseless. My point is, all the tricks that seem shiny and new on the Ramsey case, inc. trying to nix witnesses, have precedents. You oughta see the bogus perps John Douglas came up with on that one! LOL

17. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

<B>" and he didn't get along with many of his peers."</B>

After seeing what he was surrounded by, I can certainly understand that ..... ;- )

18. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Freebird I agree with your statement.

I certainly can't speak for Steve Thomas but from his book it's obvious Thomas, like many of us, does not like it when people take the absured facts of this case and turn them into truths. Add to that the pandering offered to the Ramsey's by people who should know better and you have a recipe for some discontent.

If it were me??? I would have gone ballistic in about 15.9 seconds after seeing what was going on with just the day to day crap.

FYI....Moab and I are working on the forum today. Actually Moab is teaching me all the geek stuff that you know I am so good at (not) I'll do my best not to blow it up.

Tricia

19. Watching You

I don'tl know Steve Thomas

personally, nor do I know any of the other players personally. What I do know is human nature, and it is the nature of some humans to be holier than thou, after the fact. Maybe Steve was gung ho, maybe he was hyperactive, I don't know, but he was not responsible for what happened to this case no matter what those who were probably once his friends on the police force had to say about him after he was gone. I'm not saying you are right or wrong, FedoraX. I am saying I have seen this too many times -self-righteous people on the inside saying how bad someone else was when all the time they were right there with him on all the issues. That is, until they discovered it was not in their own best interests to be his friend.

I do not believe that ST was as "bad" as Smit, not by a long shot. I don't know a lot about everything, but I do know cops inside and out. They are no different than anyone else, and I don't care if it's a congressman, D.A., cop, or Joe Blow on the street. The holier-than-thou attitude prevails, when they are no better than the one they are gossiping about. In fact, most cops are content to put in their 20 and collect their pensions, never causing any waves. I guess Steve Thomas's passion for finding JBR's killer meant more to him than being politically correct or being a team player in a corrupt system.

This is only my opinion, I could be wrong. I have no heros in this case, never have had. The only thing I know for sure is JBR's been six years in her grave and no one has been brought to justice for it. That isn't Steve Thomas's fault. I will agree that this case should never be brought to trial until there is sufficient evidence to convict someone. My beef is and has been with the process and the obstruction of justice that occurred right in the Bouder D.A.'s office. They can't prevent the police from doing their job by refusing to issue crucial search warrants and pandering to defense attorneys and then complain they don't have enough evidence to arrest anyone. Perhaps if they had done the right thing in the first place and stopped preventing the investigators from doing their jobs, the evidence might have been there for a conviction. Instead they did the unthinkable by cuddling up to the defense attorneys and handing over critical evidence to them.

And, while I'm at it, why did they do that? Who the hel! were Hadden et al, anyway, to make demands like that? The Ramseys had not been arrested for anything - they hadn't even been named suspects. Yet, their defense attorneys were right in there directing traffic. Does that make sense? What right did they have? By law, they didn't even have accused clients. They were not really even defense attorneys, because their clients were not officially accused of anything. They should not have had any right to anything concerning that case. But, Hunter gave it to them. Someone explain that to me. The only rights those attorneys should have had were to protect the rights of the Ramseys concerning interviews and such. They were not entitled to the evidence in the case. But they got it. Tell me Hunter and his elves were not corrupt. I don't believe it.

But, I ramble. There is no one in this case who is lily white. Everyone has had an agenda, and nowhere has it been more evident than right in the D.A.'s office. Stupidity and ineptness reigned supreme then, and I don't see anything to make me believe that has changed with Keenan in power.

The whole thing just pi$$es me off. What happened in Boulder in the JBR case never should have happened. I don't blame the police. I blame D.A. Hunter and his minions for interferring with the investigation. If they hadn't done that, the evidence might have been there for a conviction. It's too late now.

20. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Well a big AMEN to that WY...

You deserve post of the New year with that one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice