The search for Rachel Cooke - January 10, 2003

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by JR, Jan 10, 2003.

1. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Today marks the one year anniversary of the abduction of Rachel Cooke. The Cooke family had a tree planted at Georgetown High School to honor Rachel. Family and friends gathered to hang yellow ribbons from Rachel's tree. Blue ribbons were hung in memory of other missing and murdered loved ones.

RC and Grandma Cooke in front of Rachel's tree.

©Jacqueline L. Riggs 2003

2. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

RC with the Gonzales siblings

The Gonzales family spent three weeks searching for their mother Valany. Valany's funeral was held just two days ago.

3. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

RC and Greg Allen

Sabrina Allen Fair has been missing since April 2002. Sabrina was abducted by her non-custodial mother.

4. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Ribbon Signing

We estimate that there were approximately 100 people that attended the tree dedication this evening.

5. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Blue Ribbons

Yellow ribbons wwith personal messages were hung on the tree by family and friends. Blue ribbons were hung to represent other missing and murdered loved ones.

Kent Jacobs ribbon.

6. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Casandra Williams Ribbon

7. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Elizabeth Smart Ribbon

8. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

A candle was lit for each month that Rachel has been missing. The candles were then placed around the base or Rachel's tree along with pictures of Rachel and a picture of Sabrina Allen Fair.

9. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Rachel's Ribbon

Though each and every blue ribbon was difficult for the Cooke family to place on Rachel's tree, I am sure Rachel's ribbon had to be the most difficult.

Prayers go out in hopes that each of those blue ribbons representing a missing loved one can be removed soon.

10. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

JR thank you for the pictures. They are very moving.

I am still in awe of the Cooke's and how they have turned their pain into helping others.

They are an example of all that is good in people.

I only hope I can be half as good a parent as the Cooke's are.

Tricia

11. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

Tree dedication

With Robert opening the ceremony for the tree dedication to Rachel, the wind gave a calmness, so as to allow his words to ring all over the world.

The first Blue ribbon, for other missing and killed persons was hung on the tree by Sabrina Allen's Father, Greg Allen. As Robert read the names of eleven other person the blue ribbons were hung on the tree.

The media did an excellant job on the coverage.

If I knew how to attach pictures or place the media videos to the forum I would. Maybe someone will PM me and give me the way to do it like our great New webmistress TRICIA or maybe JR.

12. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

News Coverage

KXAN with video
    http://kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=1079662&nav=0s3cDJ6E
    {snip}
    Friday night, there will be a special ceremony at Georgetown High School dedicated to Rachel and others who have disappeared.

The ceremony is to commemorate the loss of Rachel.

Rachel was a vibrant and active young woman. She was home from college last year when something went wrong. She went out for a run and didn't return.

What happened that day, one year ago Friday, still baffles her family and law enforcement.
    {snip}

13. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

KVUE Coverage - includes video

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/011003kvueRachel-eh.c984e43.html
    {snip}
    Year-old mystery: Rachel Cooke remembered
    01/10/2003

By Kris Gutierrez
    KVUE News

Today marks the one-year anniversary of a missing Georgetown teenager.

Rachel Cooke, 19, disappeared while jogging near her home one year ago today. Volunteers spent weeks combing the area for clues, but there is still no sign of Rachel.

She was home for the holidays from college when she disappeared near her family's home in the Northlake subdivision of Georgetown.

Leads are still trickling in, but there's been no arrest and no word from Rachel. Her father says he still holds out hope, but knows the trail grows colder with each day Rachel is missing.

"It's hard because people's memories are fading, and the clues are slowing down. We still get psychics here and there who put in information. They all turn out to be nothing. It's just something that we're hoping that we'll get resolved," says Robert Cooke.

This afternoon Robert Cooke and others planted a tree in Rachel's honor at Georgetown High School, where Rachel attended classes and ran crosscountry and track. The tree is decorated with yellow ribbons in honor of Rachel, and blue ribbons in honor of others who are missing.
    {snip}

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice