Darnay Hoffman has been found

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

I had a very pleasant conversation with Mr. Hoffman today.

He politely turned down our request for a chat. However he did offer to revisit the idea in late March when things slow down for him.

As far as what is going on with the Wolfe case here is the deal.

Darnay said it's the waiting game now. Like waiting for water to boil as he told me.

Waiting for the judges decision to either grant the Ramsey's summary judgment request ( in essence throwing out the case) or denying it. Which means the case will move forward.

So there you go. Hopefully he will be available for a FFJ chat sometime in late March.

I didn't ask him about Lin Wood's accusations. I really want to ask him that in chat. Hopefully something will have popped from Judason's side by late March.

I have said all along I don't think Hoffman had anything to do with the tapes.

Lin Wood should really turn his fury on Judason. If it weren't for hir we wouldn't have found out just how guilty the Ramsey's really are.

I don't think I have said it enough...

Thanks again Jameson.

2. Tez

Tez Member

Thanks Tricia..

I was beginning to think he was abducted by aliens or abducted by the swampcreature!

3. AK

AK Member

Thanks, Tricia

Glad you contacted him and gave him your pitch. I'm sure we'd all welcome hearing from him when he's ready.

4. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Oh, great news, Tricia

here's hoping the psycho at yon distant forum doesn't get any of that green spittle on anyone when she starts foaming at the mouth over this.

The wheels of justice do move slowly, don't they. Seems as if the Wolfe case has been chugging uphill forever. If the judge goes against Wolfe on this, no one will ever convince me the fix isn't in.

5. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Great scoop. Tricia....

and 13 whole minutes before the rest of the world! ;)

6. AK

AK Member

Why he's so busy...

I knew he represented Nussbaum. Now he's repping Steinberg. Too? In lieu of? Conflict of interest? I hope he tells us...

---------

Steinberg's lawyer, Darnay Hoffman, said his client takes responsibility for Lisa's death but denies repeated abuse.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/56044p-52500c.html

---------

Steinberg's lawyer, Darnay Hoffman, disputed Baden's contention that Lisa was awake after she was hit, and claimed the medical expert was relying on his client's "self-serving statements" to police.

"There was no pain or suffering," he said afterward. "She was out like a light, and that was the end of it."

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/53865.htm

7. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

<I>"There was no pain or suffering," he said afterward. "She was out like a light, and that was the end of it."</I>

Hard to respect anyone that could say that about a brutally beaten and killed baby..... He's right up there with LW in my book. This is like him defending whomever *cough (Patsy) cough* killed JB. ........LOSER

8. AK

AK Member

Everyone deserves good counsel, FB

And I doubt Darnay is in this for the money. In fact, it seems he's working pro bono, which is admirable.

The following article, and comments Darnay made on TV that were sympathetic to Nussbaum, made me err in thinking he represented Hedda. I am happy to correct my mistake, unlike Candy who allowed a critical error to linger for days on at least two boards before cleaning her recent mess, and then only after I mentioned it twice. In any case, I'm not sure her frothing at the fingers is especially helpful to Darnay or his cause, and it certainly proves her instability. I'm really disappointed to see that.

The Denver Post, July 11, 1997
    Boulder DA feels N.Y. heat, by Chuck Green
    More than 1,600 miles away, a New York City attorney has fired a shot across the metaphorical bow of District Attorney Alex Hunter in the Colorado town of Boulder.
    It's certainly a long shot, as measured by distance. And some might say it's an even longer shot in terms of legal argument. Lawyer Darnay Hoffman, though, believes he has launched a legal missile aimed at the heart of the investigation into the 1996 Christmas night murder of JonBenet Ramsey.
    Hoffman, an attorney who describes himself as an advocate for victims' rights, has become intensely interested in the case of the 6-year-old beauty queen found bludgeoned and strangled in her wealthy family's home.
    The case is not unlike another 6-year-old murder victim's, Lisa Steinberg, who died in New York 10 years ago and whose adopted father, millionaire attorney Joel Steinberg, was sentenced to prison for her death.
    Hoffman, who worked on that case, says that Steinberg and his wife, Hedda Nussbaum, were arrested within hours after Lisa -- found in a coma -- was rushed to a hospital. And he says New York police made the arrests with less evidence than exists in the JonBenet Ramsey murder case.
    Now Hoffman wants to know why Boulder police haven't arrested JonBenet's parents -- a move he believes would eventually solve the case.
    "In cases of domestic violence, you usually don't get a conviction based on forensics. It's usually based on a confession by someone who knows what happened," Hoffman says. In the Steinberg case, Hedda Nussbaum -- after sitting in jail for a while -- eventually agreed to testify against Joel Steinberg. He was convicted of voluntary first-degree manslaughter for causing Lisa's death.
    Hoffman has written Hunter demanding access to the Ramsey investigative file, serving notice that he intends to sue the DA for not filing criminal charges.
    Hunter's chief assistant, Bill Wise, has responded to Hoffman by telling him that "we do not accept your approach," and "we must therefore refuse your 'demand discovery."'
    But by sending his letter to Hunter, the New York attorney has paved the way toward a legal challenge and court review of the Ramsey investigation if no one is arrested for murdering JonBenet.
    A little-known Colorado law allows "persons who believe that a prosecuting attorney is not pursuing a case with diligence to petition the court to review the status of the case" and to order charges to be filed.
    A Colorado Court of Appeals case confirmed that the law is "a mechanism created by the (legislature) to prevent abuses in connection with the prosecutorial decision."
    Hoffman says he is pursuing his "prefiling investigation" into Hunter's conduct with himself as the client, as a victims' rights advocate, but sources say he might eventually represent a national victims' rights organization in the case.
    Technically, Hoffman's action appears premature. It's considered unlikely that a court would take his requests seriously until the Ramsey case is obviously stalled or abandoned -- a status that would take many more months to become arguable.
    Meanwhile, Hunter has been put on legal notice that there's a serious New York lawyer looking over his shoulder.

And for background:

American Lawyer Newspapers Group, Inc.
    Manhattan Lawyer, September 20-26, 1988
    Defense and Judge Clash Over Steinberg Timetable; London May Have to Seek New Co-Counsel, by Shaun Assael
    State Supreme Court Justice Harold Rothwax came to a conference in the Joel Steinberg murder case on Sept. 14 with a clear message for defense attorney Ira London: He was in no mood for bargaining.
    After a sometimes heated exchange during which London unsuccessfully tried to gain more time to prepare his case, Rothwax set Oct. 3 for pretrial arguments.
    The judge quickly became angry when London accused him of unfairly rushing the case to trial, at one point telling the attorney, "I do not want you to characterize my rulings and I insist you adhere to it."
    Steinberg was indicted last November and charged with second-degree murder in the alleged beating death of his 6-year-old adoptive daughter, Lisa. Rothwax has been pressing for progress since midsummer. The judge has said he wants the case finished before Christmas.
    Spectators saw the measure of Rothwax's impatience when London insisted he could not begin next month because he is scheduled to open a murder trial before Justice Edward Pincus on Sept. 23 in Brooklyn.
    Rothwax abruptly called the conference to a halt, announcing he would personally call Pincus. Twenty minutes later, he returned to the bench, saying Pincus told him the Brooklyn case was not ready to proceed.
    The judge was even less inclined to listen to London's claim that he needed more time because his co-counsel, Harriet Rosen, is defending one of nine defendants in a federal racketeering trial that is not expected to end until late October. London seemed taken aback when Rothwax revealed that he had already called the judge on that case and was told Rosen's role was "minor."
    London argued that he needed time to develop witnesses and sort through hundreds of pages of discovery material. Rothwax responded that opening arguments would probably not take place until early November, giving London ample preparation time.
    London, of counsel at Simpsoon & Levitsky in Brooklyn, protested that Rothwax's ruling effectively deprived him of Rosen's assistance. Rosen, a solo practitioner, shares office space with Simpson and Levitsky.
    The judge replied that London could seek other co-counsel and suggested Martin Adelman of Martin Adelman, P.C. in Manhattan. Adelman had filed appellate briefs in Steinberg's unsuccessful attempt to gain release on bail earlier this year. "Seek and you shall find," said the judge.
    Earlier, as London led Steinberg into the courtroom from adjacent holding cells, he was flanked by defensse attorney Lawrence Goldman of Goldman & Hafetz. Asked later whether he had been asked to serve as co-counsel, Goldman said he was not involved in the case and did not plan to become involved.
    Another attorney, who requested anonymity, told Manhattan Lawyer recently that he had been contacted by Steinberg and asked to take on the case. The attorney declined.
    Rothwax also complained about a two-hour delay in the start of last week's conference, which was scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Steinberg did not arrive in court until about 11:45. The judge blamed the delay on Steinberg's refusal to dress in time for his court appearance.
    Steinberg defiantly blamed the problem on corrections officers, telling Rothwax, "I offered no resistance. That's not true at all."
    In an unexpected twist, a one-time Steinberg client, Darnay Hoffman, approached London at the courthouse, offering his services as a paralegal. Hoffman, a graduate of Cardozo Law School, said he feels he owes Steinberg for successfully convincing his former wife to delay bitter divorce proceedings in 1971. "I'm here to return the favor," said Hoffman, who said he had not seen Steinberg since 1977.
    London said he told Steinberg of Hoffman's offer and "Joel smiled and said he remembered him." Steinberg's license to practice law was revoked in May.
    Steinberg, who is being prosecuted by assistant district attorneys John McCusker and Peter Casalaro, also faces charges of first-degree manslaughter and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child. Steinberg's common-law wife, Hedda Nussbaum, has also been charged with murder but has not been indicted. Nussbaum called police to the couple's Greenwich Village home on Nov. 2, 1987, complaining that Lisa had gagged on food. Police found Lisa unconscious. She remained comatose until her death on Nov. 5. The couple's illegally adopted boy, whom they called Mitchell, was allegedly tethered to a chair with rope. The boy has since rejoined his natural mother.

9. Tricia

OMG I am really embarrassed for Darnay Hoffman. I just read Mary's posts over at Cybersleuths.

If he is smart he will distance himself from her. Can you imagine if someone one day decides to check out the people who Darnay Hoffman has help him and sees that type of crap?

If it's even true that she does anything for him. Who knows? She really sounds so unbalanced she could be making up the association with him in her mind. I hope that's the case. Hoffman has enough on his plate. He doesn't need to worry about a crazy person causing more problems.

When I had several requests to call Darnay and invite him for a chat I hesitated. I knew it was like poking a crazed caged animal if I said anything about Darnay Hoffman. I honestly don't know what she is capable of she is so out of control. She has done the most bizarre things to me. I don't even know her.

Anyway I didn't hesitate for more than a few seconds because I think Darnay would be a wonderful chat guess. He has been the only lawyer who has taken the time to post on any forum.

I certainly hope he knows his invitation still stands despite the ugliness Mary has brought into this.

We would welcome him for a chat whenever he is ready.

Tricia

10. AK

AK Member

Lawyers online

Let's not forget the victory Jams had when she actually snagged Mickey Sherman to post on her Moxley threads. I think there may have been two posts from him. Then she mentioned the Ramseys and, oddly, Mickey headed for the hills. HAHAHA.

I would hope Darnay's capable of separating the wheat from the chaff. He may lose his particular case now, but it's impressive that he went up against Dr. Baden and that his arguments got picked up by the press. I'd like to know which ME Hoffman used.

11. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Ya'll should be embarrassed for miss mary...... her hornyness shows in all her posts of DH. YUK!

12. Tricia

Normally I try and ignore ramblings of Mary A. However I feel certain things must be addressed.

At CS Mary has posted a message from Darnay Hoffman.

In it Mr. Hoffman takes to task those who criticized his defense of Steinberg and yet at the same time defend David Westerfield. Hoffman's letter is addressed to Jameson and people on "other forums"...

I am certain Mr. Hoffman is not referring to FFJ because I don't know of anyone, ever on this forum defending David Westerfield. EVER. Yes a few posters questioned the evidence while the trial was going on but nobody ever defended him. I feel very secure in saying 99.9% of everyone who has visited at FFJ is repulsed by Westerfield and despise what he did.

So I am clearing up any misconception anyone might have as to what type of forum FFJ is. I don't ever want this forum to be connected to Jameson's in any way shape or forum. We are on the good side. Jameson is the dark side.

As far as Mr. Hoffman's defense of Steinberg I am not going to gag anyone who disagrees with what Mr. Hoffman is doing.

Like Fedorax said everyone has the right to a defense. Also as Fedorax has pointed out at least Darnay Hoffman does more than his fair share of pro bono work.

I wonder how much pro bono Mr. Lin Wood does in a year. I can't see Lin Wood helping a poor immigrant in trouble. Only rich clients who kill their children.

Remember Darnay Hoffman, whether you agree with him or not, has taken up JonBenet's cause at his own time and expense.

I for one respect him for that.

Tricia

13. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Don't mind me Tricia........... I don't like for anyone who abuses children to be defended. Just a quirk of mine and thats why I'm not in the Law field.
    But I fail to see how defending this man against a monetary suit is defending his rights... I think that would have been covered in the criminal case. See I have no clue about Law :)

14. Tricia

Freebird I am with you. People like Stienberg make me sick. He is an abuser, a liar and a piece of garbage.

But even in a civil suit he has the right to an attorney. Whether we agree or not. It's an ugly job. It makes me sick that somehow it matters in a monetary way whether this inncocent baby was awake and suffering or died instantly. She is still just as dead.

However the civil law, as little as I understand it, does allow for a pain and suffering and therefore can be used to determine the amount of money awarded.

Freebird you and I are on the same page. It's just reality that Steinberg gets a defense in a civil suit. It happens, for whatever reason, to be Darnay Hoffman.

All I am saying is I still respect him for what he tried to and continues to try to do in the JBR case. Personally I am not thrilled that he is helping a ******* like Steinberg.

Tricia

15. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

changed my mind

Last edited: Feb 2, 2003
  16. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

IMHO....

Darnay Hoffman is a schmuck, and I hope he fails miserably in defending the brutal child-killer Joel Steinberg's financial resources so that Steinberg can get paroled, maybe find another idiot girlfriend, and adopt another child to kill.

17. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

Steinberg

This is a link of one of the appeals that Steinberg made and the courts response to the evidence. To think that this man Stein berg did the same thing to a child (kill) that David Westerfield did and he will have the ability to get out and make money on a book. I hope this attorney who is representing him has a heavy heart for doing what he's doing.

This is from 1992, but the details of circumstances and evidence are overwhelming. I'm glad they convicted him but it wasn't enough.
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/ny/ctap/079_0673.htm

18. AK

AK Member

Right, T

I would be most surprised to hear that Lin Wood has ever done an hour's worth of pro bono work in his career. So kudos for DH for helping a pal in need. I appreciated learning that Lisa's birth mother had already collected a mega-windfall, which seems wrong but isn't. Reminds me of the $2.9 mil payoff decree to the Aisenberg's lawyers, which was NOT because the As are innocent, but because prosecutors pushed too hard on a case that wasn't ready. Hint, hint! :)

Overall I agree with DH's statement, except for his use of "forums." As you said, no other forum supported David Westerfield except Jamsey Ramsey's, and even many of her posters were appalled at her defense of him. Her reply was woefully inadequate. We all saw the trial and its aftermath, which proved how guilty Westerfield--and only Westerfield-- is. Jams was caught being biased in his favor, for reasons only she understands. She also inculcated a jihad against Damon van Dam which was nothing short of immoral and deranged. Her payback seems to be that no one is forking over another fifty bucks for membership, lol.

As for Candy, she reacts too emotionally and makes enormous jumps in logic. Instead of wondering WHY something is done, and perhaps quietly checking if there is a reason, she blasts, guaranteeing she'll never be trusted by anyone with real info. The world isn't black and white, and she's always had difficulty processing that. She may be a competent paralegal, if that's what she is, but she will never make an ace criminal attorney.

I also don't know where Candy gets the idea I have picked on Darnay. Having differences of opinion isn't slamming him. The system of justice is based on advocacy and opponents. He gets points from me for having ponied up money for handwriting experts, even though I publicly warned him not to base his theory on that alone, seeing as how the judge tossed McVeigh's handwriting. It's also not treasonous to disagree with DH over his decision to move forward in civil suits which I've always felt lacked merit and generally harmed the criminal case. Anyone familiar with my postings knows that protecting the murder case is my raison d'etre.

My interest in getting DH to speak up about the Ram-Jam tapes was to address a serious charge made by Wood against him. Had it been made about me, I would have hired a skywriter to set the record straight. I don't think it's inappropriate to request an explanation, and I imagine he'd want to address that.

I remember several months ago when I posted a cute news item about Darnay and his wife, some people thought it was an attack. Those folks are looking for trouble where none exists. I'm confident Darnay knows who his real friends are online.

19. AK

AK Member

Thanks, Shy

That was a good reminder of the facts of the case. I hadda laugh when I saw Judge Sol Wachtler's name though. He lost his bench and went to jail for stalking an ex-girlfriend and sending disgusting mail to her young daughter.

Cocaine psychosis is an absolute defense for Steinberg. Doesn't minimize his behavior, but it's a mental condition that mitigates punishment, which is why he was found guilty of manslaughter and not murder.

One day Steinberg will be paroled and I hope he's cleaned up his act and can still do some good for sociiety. It's not unheard of for people to make a life change.

20. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Heres another memory refresher..... lets never forget the real victim here who will never have a chance to make a life change.
    This was written about little Lisa.......

The Lyrics to "Dear Mr. Jesus"

Dear Mr. Jesus, I just had to write to you
    Something really scared me, when I saw it on the news
    A story 'bout a little girl beaten black and blue
    Jesus, thought I'd take this right to you

Dear Mr. Jesus, I don't understand
    Why they took her mom and dad away
    I know that they don't mean to hit with wild
    and angry hands
    Tell them just how big they are I pray

Please don't let them hurt your children
    We need love and shelter from the storm
    Won't you keep us safe and warm

Dear Mr. Jesus, they say that she may die
    Oh I hope the doctors stop the pain
    I know that you could save her and take her up
    to the sky
    So she would never have to hurt again

Dear Mr. Jesus, please tell me what to do
    And please don't tell my daddy
    But my mommy hits me, too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice