Everything You Wanted To Know About Internet Law But Were Afraid To Ask Chat Thursday

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Forums For Justice in conjunction with Bill Bickel and aboutcrime.com invite you to an Internet chat with Marsha Thomas. Ms. Thomas' specialty is Internet law, Internet libel and the Internet in general. Marsha Thomas is a practicing attorney and co-teaches a course in Internet Law.

Maybe finally we can find out:

*Can we steal posts
    ·Who owns what words
    ·What constitutes a good lawsuit for libel
    ·What are our rights as posters.

The list goes on and on.

Please hurry and post your questions on this thread and we will get them to Ms. Thomas as soon as possible.

This Thursday Feb. 6th
    8:00 pm Eastern
    7: 00pm Central
    6:00 pm Mountain
    5:00 pm Pacific
    1:00 am Suva Fiji

Even though Ms. Thomas is the smartest, coolest attorney I have ever met, she still must do the disclaimer thing...here goes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Disclaimer and Terms of Use:

Marsha Thomas, Attorney at Law, has agreed to an on-line chat with Forums for Justice in conjunction with Bill Bickel and About Crime.com. Ms. Thomas is a practicing attorney, a member of her State Bar Association and co-teaches a course in Internet Law.

By participating in the on-line chat you agree to the following:

This chat is for educational purposes only. Although Ms. Thomas will make every effort to give accurate and complete answers to the questions presented, know that she will not be held liable for any incorrect information nor will Ms. Thomas be held liable for any legal repercussions occurring because of any information she has provided during the chat.

The discussion provided is not meant to apply to any particular case or situation. Because each situation is different and laws are constantly changing, you understand that the responses should not be taken as legal advice, and cannot replace an in-person consultation with an attorney about a particular case or problem.

Additionally, no attorney client relationship is entered into unless you specifically enter into an agreement with an attorney, therefore any information you receive through this discussion should not be taken as legal representation. You understand that all postings are public, and therefore not private.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got that? Good,

Now post your questions so we can get them to her asap.

See ya Thursday.

Link to chat http://crime.about.com/mpchat,htm

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2003
  2. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Dear Miss Thomas:

Is it legal to enquire into the status of a certain Miss Judason's rather over-conditioned hair? I mean I'm no beauty expert, but I think the hair conditioner thing goes way over the limits of accepted community standards. I mean her hair is so coated, it is proof against nuclear attack. What if the Taliban uses her secrets against us?

Thanks!

Yours in Anger
    BobC

3. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

:bow: Tricia :bow: Humanity wanted me to ask this for her.

MS Thomas,
    What legalities need to be considered when one is sending out promtional emails such as in mass mailing so as not to be considered SPAM?
    What is the difference between the two?

4. AK

AK Member

BobC, behave yourself!

You don't want Ms Thomas to think we're all a bunch of Yahoos. Some of us are Hotmails too.

OK, my question, and thanks in advance for answering...

I've seen info elsewhere, not on this forum, where people have researched individuals of interest. Some of the research is purported family tree info, which seems to me invasive to the family members mentioned who have nothing to do with the targeted person (usually someone tangentially attached to one of the crimes we follow). Sometimes appellations are attached to these family members, inc. accusing them of involvement in illegal activities. If someone found out that he or she was being mentioned in this way, true or false, would the entity that posted the info be held liable? The poster, the BBS, the ISP, or all or none? What would be the likely punishment? Is even linking to such a webpage dangerous territory?

There's plenty of sloppy research 'round the 'Net, mostly just silly, even the stuff that's meant to be malicious. Proves how a little Googling and a lot of imagination can take people into dead-wrong areas, and it's seldom worth correcting. But the situation I've outlined above goes beyond the pale as it could be setting innocent people up for potential danger.

5. ACandyRose

ACandyRose Super Moderator

Sent question via e-mail

I sent you my question via e-mail :)

6. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Got it. Thank you. In case you all wondering ACR wanted to ask almost exactly the same question as BobC...You two and your judason hair conditioner questions I'll tell ya...

Good points though. The taliban...Could be...hmmm

7. BobC

On the serious side, I don't have any questions because I treat the internet the same as any other form of media. The rules should be the same. Don't make up evil lies about people, don't steal others' property, yada yada yada.

8. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

True Bob...but how do you know the legitimate owner of the "property"?

9. BobC

well say when I quote something from a book, I should footnote it. I would assume if someone else wrote it, it's not mine. I feel the same way about Napster. It's stealing IMO.

10. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Your integrity is sooooooo sexy Bad Bob...I agree with you wholeheartedly...same with artwork, news articles, transcripts, etc.

11. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

One Question...

Assuming he can identify the idiot, can RC legally sue the fool who hacked Rachel's site? This is one internet loser whom I would like to see brought to justice!

thanks,
    Voyager

12. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Thanks Voyager, I don't know the answer, but I will ask it tonight. Wouldn't it be nice, because there are hackers out there spreading virus stuff and sometimes they do it for fun and some times to be malicious...but to do what he did to a site for a missing child was malicious and sick.

Good to see you are feeling a bit better!

13. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

Update on Greenleaf from her daughter

Hello, my name is Molly. I am Greenleaf's daughter. As you may or may not have heard, my mother had surgery Monday, Feb. 3. I have been with her 24 hours a day since Mon at 5am. This afternoon, I have taken my first break, to come home and get some sleep. She needs all my strength and courage now that she has contracted pneumonia this am. Please say a prayer for her. She needs all the support available, and so do I. I am honored that she shared this site with me, and asked that I keep everyone posted. Please pass this on to other threads, because she considers everyone here her friends. And any friend of hers, is a friend of mine. I must get some rest, and I will be visiting her in intensive care this evening. Love, Molly

14. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

Re: Update on Greenleaf from her daughter

Molly...I just read your post about your mother I will begin a prayer chain for her with my friends here in Austin. Thank you for letting us all know how she is doing/I pray for her speedy recovery and her return to this forum.

15. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Hi Molly,

Thank you so much for updating us on your mom...we have been praying all week, and will continue to do so for her...please let her know we are all pulling for her to have a speedy recovery!

16. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice