Judge Carnes ruling

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Apr 5, 2003.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

The Denver Post.........

JonBenet evidence points to intruder, judge rules
    By Marcos Mocine-McQueen and Paula Woodward
    A federal judge who reviewed much of the evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey slaying has said the evidence points to an intruder, not JonBenet's parents, as the girl's killer.
    COURT PAPERS
    Requires Adobe Acrobat

In a ruling on a civil suit filed against the Ramseys, District Judge Julie E. Carnes wrote that "the weight of the evidence is more consistent with a theory that an intruder murdered JonBenet than it is with a theory that Mrs. Ramsey did so."

The discovery of the 6-year-old beauty queen's body on the morning of Dec. 26, 1996, spawned intense attention from the media and the public. No one has been charged in the girl's slaying, but her parents and a number of unnamed individuals remain under suspicion.

"Clearly this court's opinion is that the Ramseys did not kill their daughter," said Lin Wood, the couple's attorney.

Although the Ramsey family has moved to the Atlanta area, they recently returned to Boulder to meet with Boulder County District Attorney Mary Keenan, who plans to re-examine the case.

Keenan said she talked with the couple for four hours in February, but would not reveal details of the discussion.

Carnes' findings were included in a ruling in which she dismissed a defamation suit that had been brought by Robert Christian "Chris" Wolf. In the suit, Wolf argued that evidence showed that Patsy Ramsey killed her daughter and John Ramsey helped her cover up the crime.

Wolf argued the Ramseys knowingly lied when they suggested on national television and in their book that he should be closely examined as a suspect.

"Essentially this was a civil murder trial," Wood said.

In a painstaking 92-page decision, Carnes dissected shortcomings in police work, how investigators used the media circus surrounding the case, and what she considers to be key evidence.

Regarding the police work, Carnes wrote: "A series of events transpired that severely compromised the crime scene."

Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner is out of town and couldn't be reached for comment.

Carnes also reported that Boulder police publicly named the Ramseys as suspects in hopes that the intense pressure of the media would cause the Ramseys to confess their alleged guilt. That strategy, Carnes wrote, was adopted at the urging of the FBI.

Experts were not able to credibly match Patsy Ramsey's handwriting to a three-page ransom note found at the Ramsey home.

Wolf wanted a jury to hear Gideon Epstein, a handwriting analyst who was "100 percent" sure Patsy Ramsey had written the note.

Carnes found that Epstein's findings paled in comparison to those of six handwriting experts used by police and the district attorney's office who found it unlikely the Ramseys had written the note.

The complicated knots used to truss JonBenet also drew Carnes' attention. She said the knots were almost certainly made by someone with knot-tying experience. There was no evidence that John and Patsy had such practice.

The detective work of Lou Smits, first hired by the Boulder police and them by the Ramseys, was cited by Carnes frequently. Smits, who reviewed the evidence as a member of the police investigation team, has been a strong proponent of the theory that an outside intruder killed the child.

2. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

The fix is in. I swear to God this seems like someone got told they better rule this way or else.

This seems like something from a bad Mob movie.

Of course everyone in Boulder will sit on their ASSSS and let a child killer go free.

This is the most depressing, sickening thing I have read in a long time.

The judge doesn't know the evidence. She was told what it was by someone else and for whatever reason she believed what she was told.

3. Tricia

The only thing I can think of other than an honest to God fix is this.

What if this is being done so that at some point , when the charges are brought, the Ramsey's can't say the city of Boulder was against them.

Maybe???

Naw. The fix is in... nevermind

4. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

Tristan

You don't think Lin or Lou had anything to do this with her "findings", do you?

5. Tricia

Of course not. Those two honest upstanding people.

Lin, I love my horse and it shows Wood? Naw..

Lou, blinded by religion and ego, Smit? Naw...

They make me sick.

Does anyone in Boulder give a fly RATS ASSS that this crap is going on?

I would be so embarrassed and ashamed if I lived in Boulder.

6. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

The Ramsey Luck

From AP Wires

Apr 5, 1:10 PM EST

Judge Tosses JonBenet Ramsey Lawsuit

By ROBERT WELLER
    Associated Press Writer

DENVER (AP) -- A federal judge dismissed a lawsuit against the parents of JonBenet Ramsey and criticized police and the FBI for what she said was a media campaign aimed at making the family look guilty.

Authorities never charged the parents in the death of the 6-year-old, whose body was found in the family's Boulder home Dec. 26, 1996. However, police refused to clear the couple of suspicion and ruled out the possibility that an intruder was responsible.

U.S. District Court Judge Julie Carnes of Atlanta said in the ruling this week there was no evidence showing the parents killed Jonbenet and considerable evidence showing that an intruder killed the child.

Boulder District Attorney Mary Keenan took the case away from Boulder police earlier this year.

"I think this decision, coupled with Mary Keenan's decision, should allow the Ramseys to win in the court of public opinion also," attorney L. Lin Wood, who represents the Ramseys, said Saturday. "She recognizes in her order that the FBI and the Boulder police used the media to convince people the Ramseys were guilty."

***snip***

7. Tricia

OMG...

I have figured out what is going on.

I am in the new millennium version of....

THE RAMSEY NIGHT GALLERY....

Honest To God....

Remember the old Night Gallery episodes? Early 70's. Pictures. Weird stuff.

Everything would seem normal to the person as the episode started out. The person would get up and start their day.

Just like I did today.

Then little things would seem out of place. Strange. Unbelievable.

Just like RR's first post...

Then it gets worse and worse and worse UNTIL.....

The person firgures out they have died and gone to Hell.

I am in Hell aren't I?

Every time I come on this forum I will find a new article about the Ramsey's and their invisable intruder. Another article from someone in the court system saying the Ramsey's have been wronged.

At every corner Lin Wood will be jumping out at me like some sort of 5 times divorced circus freak...

Dear Lord I am here. It's not the Twilight Zone. No it's worse. It's Rod Serling's cheap imitation:

The Ramsey Night Gallery.

8. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Tricia,

I don't know how those Ramseys do it. Either they are innocent, or they are the luckiest G**D*** killers to walk the earth.

While it is possible that they could have bribed the corrupt officials in Boulder, I find it hard to believe they could have bribed a civil court judge in Atlanta, too. Judge Carnes is probably a well-meaning bleeding-heart. No doubt Little Linny was successful in his "judge-shopping", too.

And Darnay Hoffman's case was tenuous, to say the least. I also have to wonder if he exercised due diligence throughout. You can tick off a judge bigtime when you don't show up at all scheduled appearances.

9. Niner

Niner Active Member

that's NOT true!! Wasn't John a BIG boat-race person???

and Lurker - that's quite true - Darnay was NOT very diligent in this case AT ALL!!:mad: NOT showing up in court, is NOT a good way to get 'in good' with the judge!

10. Tricia

Niner great point.

First the judge doesn't know what she is talking about because it wasn't a big complicated knot.

BUT...let say others disagree...

Niner you got it...John Ramsey would know how to make knots of every size, shape and form.

Guys I just took a picture of myself after reading what LurkerXIV and RR posted. This crap is really affecting my health.

11. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

so

what about Chet Ubowski saying there is evidence P.R. wrote that note? Who the hey are the six experts that say she didn't write it, because we know it wasn't the CBI, and anyway we know who the source for this stupid article was.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice