Beckner's Comments....

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tez, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Tez

Tez Member

Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner declined to answer questions about the ruling or Keenan's statement. But he issued a prepared statement Monday evening expressing surprise that Keenan chose to "make public her personal beliefs about the case at this time" and said some might take her views as criticism of the police investigation.

"However, we do not wish to debate or discuss the weight of the evidence, as we still hope that someday there will be a prosecution in this case," Beckner's statement said.

http://www.thedailycamera.com/bdc/city_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2422_1872458,00.html

Well, I agree with Beckner. She should not have made her personal beliefs known. She should have issued a "no comment" and let it go. But, that would have been too simple.

Maybe there will be a prosecution in this case, but not with Keenan at the helm.

Thanks Tricia.

2. Tez

Tez Member

3. Tez

Tez Member

The idiots still rule the asylum in Boulder....

But Bill Wise, Hunter's former second-in-command, called it a "startling" announcement.

"She's enclosing (the Ramseys) in a presumption of innocence, as the Constitution says they should be," he said. "That's good for her."

"Federal judges are not idiots," Wise said. "They are very thorough, very smart people. I have felt for years that the method of investigation was flawed, that it was too much 'In the pit of my stomach, I think . . .' and not enough of following the evidence."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ramsey/article/0,1299,DRMN_1296_1872144,00.html

~~~Snip~~~

"The killer's at the end of the intruder path," Smit said Monday. "If it's not the Ramseys, it's an intruder, and he's still out there."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ramsey/article/0,1299,DRMN_1296_1872144,00.html

Ok, Louie, you said it, "If" it's not the Ramsey's. Do you now have doubts? What changed your mind? Interesting food for thought.

4. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Beckner is right on

Keenan is the DA, the one who, if she is still in office when and if this case is ever tried, will prosecute this case. If the Ramseys are ever arrested, Keenan has delievered a lethal blow to her own case. She had no business making a statement like that. Like Alex Hunter before her when he denegrated a detective on the case in public and forever damaged the case, Keenan has proven she is incompetent in making statements such as this that will come back to haunt anyone who has to try the case in court in future years. She is inept and she should resign her position as DA for making such irresponsible statements.

5. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

well what's fascinating here is that we have the Brennan article showing that most of the "evidence of an intruder" has been explained away (the hair, the bootprint)--and yet that evidence is still being cited as proof of an intruder. So what's going on here?

The guys from the CBI and former Quantico agents have all been quite clear that this crime scene is rife with classic elements of staging. killers don't stage crime scenes in other people's homes--that is absurd.

So what is this Keenan woman thinking? Bizzare. But then again Hunter found Krebs "believable" so we're not talking rocket scientists here.

Oh well--time to move on. NEXT!

6. Watching You

Question

Limpwood fought so hard to have depositions of everyone released except for Lou Smit's. The last word I heard on Smit's deposition was that he was going to release it except for a few personal things. That was a long time ago.

Why hasn't Smit's deposition been released? What did Smit say that he doesn't want made public? Smit's deposition should be released now.

7. Tez

Tez Member

I have no clue

Why Lou's depo hasn't been released. Maybe he fought to keep it sealed and Limp thought he could just slip that by everyone. Who knows?

WY, I agree with you about Mary Keenan. She should resign, but she won't. She is too power hungry.

One interesting thing I read in the RMN, is that Hunter wouldn't comment. Wonder why? Does he think they are guilty? He did admit that Lou Smit was probably the wrong man for the job, so maybe he does believe they are guilty.

8. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Bill Wise

Federal judges may not be idiots, but Bill Wise is. He's also a public willy-wagger.

Remember the incident at the Injustice Center?

9. Tez

Tez Member

Lurker....

Which one? Quite a few come to mind when Wise and DeMuth are involved.

DeMuth, Mr. Polyester Pants tucked in his cowboy boots, truly a sight to behold! Scared the hell out of me! I thought, he is an assistant DA? Where does he shop?

Wise, I only saw once in person, he wasn't quite as memorable as DeMuth, but nonetheless, I could probably pick him out.

10. Watching You

You know,

I really don't care who killed JBR. I mean, I care, but if it turned out it was an intruder, my life wouldn't be over.

What I do care about are lamebrains who substitute theory for evidence and claim it points one way or another. I don't care about Lou Smit's theories or DeMuth's theories or Mary Keenan's theories or Judge Carnes' theory. I care about the physical evidence that was collected by the BPD, not second and third-hand interpretations of that evidence. IOW, don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. I do not accept theory over evidence.

11. AK

AK Member

Willy Wagging?

Do tell, LXIV. I forget that one.

BobC, let's pray that Charlie is preparing a new article, and that his previously silent source will agree to be identified.

WY, Hunter was correct to publicly slam Thomas. He had to, once Steve betrayed the case and ensured he wouldn't be available as a witness. There are few things more wasteful and horrific for a legal team to encounter as rot from inside its midst, but that's what Hunter got from Thomas. I think it's telling that no other cop shop came forward with public support or offers of employment. If Steve had just resigned, let the public know he was angry, but didn't write the book, he would have been the fair-haired boy of law enforcement with lucrative offers including chief positions. Instead he's viewed as a viper. I hope his carpentry can't harm the public as his policing has.

I was so thrilled to read Wecht's comments on another thread. Believe me, if Wood tries to do his shakedown number with Wecht, his head would be handed to him. I can just imagine all the forensic and law enforcement witnesses who would line up to help Wecht defend against any action. That would be one civil suit which might really offer some answers on the murder case.
    Wood is competent only when his opponents are weak. He'd be completely out of his element with real triers of fact.

12. Watching You

I don't agree, Fed

but we never have agreed on this point.

The rot was with Hunter and his butt boys. Steve Thomas revealed that rot. Hunter has always gone after his critics with a vengence. Look what Hunter did to Fleet White. I think ST did the right thing. This case was never going to go to trial anyway. Hunter did more to damage the case than ST ever thought of doing. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, LOL.

13. AK

AK Member

Don't make me smack you silly!

"The case was never going to go to trial anyway"????

I can't believe anyone would ever think, much less say, that.

Not anyone with trial or muder experience, anyway.

No, ST could have gotten across his anger in ways that didn't screw the case. But instead he wrote a book and pocketed the money. He knew he was burning his LE bridges. He knew he would not be called as a witness because of it. There's nothing anyone has done on this messed-up case that even gets near that kind of betrayal.

That phony bustard had the nerve to write a letter on JB's 8th birthday, go to the grave site and announce he's quitting the case, making sure there was media coverage. Too bad no one got the shot of him peeing on the headstone.

I simply don't understand why you guys don't see him for what he is.

14. Watching You

I call them as I see them, Fed

I really believe this case will never see the inside of a courtroom, and I believed it then. Too much damage had been done before Steve ever wrote his book.

Don't misinterpret my feelings about this - I don't know Steve Thomas, personally, so my beliefs have nothing to do with liking him or not liking him. The things he said in his book exposed a corrupt system in Boulder. The world would be a better place is more people would expose the bastards for what they are, and that's the way I feel about it. I've never liked liars or manipulators or people who covered for them. I've never liked corruption in government, and I hate politics because of that.

You and I see things differently on this. To me it was Alex Hunter and his group who ruined this case, not Steve Thomas. He only exposed what they did. I don't understand how anyone can blame ST and exonerate Hunter et al. So, what about how Hunter treated FW? And, for that matter, what about FW? Fleet may not have written a book, but he sure wrote some letters to the editors about the corruption in the DA's office that attracted national attention. Should he too be taken to task for opening his mouth? So Steve was a cop, and he had a higher standard when it came to public exposure? Well, exactly what did Steve reveal about the actual evidence that wasn't already out there? His b!tch was with the obstruction they encountered within the DA's office when it came to obtaining evidence. He didn't lay the evidence all out there for everyone to see.

I am vehemently against blaming ST for what has happened to the JBR case. The blame lies squarely in Alex Hunter's office. You and I will have to continue to disagree about this, because you can't understand how I can't see what ST did to damage this case, and I can't understand how you can't see that it was Hunter, not Thomas, who destroyed the case.

I'll bet you the case never goes to trial. On second thought, it might. But, if it does, it will be because some poor summabitch got set up for it, and the real killers will continue to get away with it. Intruder, my cute little a$s.

I still love you, though.

15. AK

AK Member

Ha, WY!

I love you too, you know that!

If anything, Carnes' and Keenan's views support what Hunter felt -- that the case is not prosecutable as is. That's no surprise. The very last thing we should all want is a bad prosecution that will net the perps runnning scot-free and untouchable. Can you imagine how insufferable they'd be then?!

The Whites reacted emotionally. They are not trial experienced, let alone murder trial hip. Hunter wasn't really either, but he called in a braintrust and took their sage advice.

Except for the comment about Krebs which Hunter wishes he hadn't made, he has done everything right that I can see. Whatever things he's done that I don't understand I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since I know he had advisers. DAs make deals. With criminals, lawyers and during investigations. It's our problem for not knowing the particulars, not his for doing what he felt was right.

As far as the corruption you seem to see, trust me when I say that when there's a case with this kind of scrutiny, you're gonna find charges of that. But it's not corruption at all, it's defense spin. By focusing on that instead of what is working, you are helping the bad guys.

16. imon128

imon128 Banned

DA

Wouldn't it be a hoot to have Fleet or Priscilla White to become the DA? :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice