The Search For Rachel Phase VII

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by "J_R", Apr 19, 2003.

1. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

To the Cooke family:

Our hearts are with you tonight as you await news of the tests on the remains found today.

2. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Human remains found

Human remains found
    Updated: 4/19/2003 4:51:36 PM
    By: News 8 Austin Staff

Georgetown police are investigating the discovery of human remains found near the Georgetown Airport Saturday.
    ...snip

They do not know the gender or age of the deceased person or how long the bones were at that location.

The remains were sent to a lab in San Antonio for further testing.

Children were playing in a drainage culvert when they found the remains around 12:30 p.m.

...snip

There's no information so far suggesting the body belongs to Rachel Cooke, the 19-year-old Georgetown girl who has been missing since January 2002. However, the lead investigators on that case have been called to work on the latest discovery.
    ...snip

Police say that no clothing or other type of identification was found on or near the body. They are treating the case as a murder.

http://news8austin.com/content/top_stories/?ArID=68796

3. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

I pray for the Cooke's in this trying time. My God give them strength and we will give them love.

Tricia

4. AK

AK Member

Oh, RC

I'm numb and scared, and here I'm supposed to be strong for you.

You and your family are close to my heart. Hugs to all.

5. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

My body will be

at my mother's today, cooking dinner, seeing some of my family on this Easter day, but my heart will be brimming with heartache and hope for the Cooke family and the Peterson family as well on this beautiful Easter day, a day of promise and new beginnings. The sea has delivered Laci and her baby back to her family, and the earth has returned the remains of someone's loved one in Texas, we don't know whose, yet, back to his/her family.

If any comfort is to be found, it should be in Easter's message of eternal life - the day Christ rose from the dead. Laci, Conner, and whomever this precious soul turns out to be are home with the Lord.

I will hold the Cooke family close to my heart today as I gather in gratefulness with my family. It is because of the Cookes and the Petersons and other courageous families like them that many of us place even more value on every precious moment with our own families.

Wrap your arms around these families, Lord, and comfort them as only you can. Amen

6. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

Leave A Light On In Hope

Robert, Janet and Joann.
    My how I've prayed for the moment for you to know of Rachel's whereabouts, but today when I opened the forum main page and seen the candle there I got a warm sensation on my heart. I pray that God holds you close as you wait for any news.

Hoping and praying and waiting for whatever is to come dear God, hold this family with your love and grace and bless them as they continue thier own journey with heaviness on their hearts. Protect them as this is the Day our Savior rose from his own tomb.

We are all here for you when you need us

7. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Rachel.....

Dear RC,

I have been praying to God these many months that he would reward your consistancy, faith, and hard work with the safe return of your daughter, Rachel......

What I have found in my own life and in the lives of those with whom I am familiar, is that He often answers our prayers, but in different ways or in different time frames than our own prayers have beseeched......

Today, on this most holy day of the religious year, I will again pray for the safe return of Rachel, and also for the courage of you, Janet, and JoAnne to accept His divine will....

If indeed, he has called Rachel home, then she is safe in His arms......If these recently found remains do not belong to Rachel, then we must, as a forum, increase our determination to support your efforts, in whatever ways we can, to find your beloved Rachel.....

May God hold your hand and comfort you today,
    Voyager

8. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Remains found near Georgetown airport

04/20/2003

KVUE News

Two children playing near a drainage ditch by Lakeway Drive in Georgetown found skeletal remains on Saturday.
    ...snip

Williamson County investigators were called and sealed off the area as a crime scene while the remains were collected.
    ...snip

The site was within miles of the area where Rachel Cooke, 19, disappeared while jogging on Jan. 10, 2002.

She has never been found despite a massive public awareness campaign and endless searches by her family.
    ...snip

Robert Cooke has kept a journal on KVUE.com, detailing his familiy's search for Rachel. In Saturday's entry, he wrote, "Human remains were found near the Georgetown airport today. They aren't sure if the remains are of a male or female yet. We just have to wait until they are examined. I probably won't sleep tonight."

http://www.kvue.com/breaking/042003kvueremains-jw.11a669add.html

9. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Remains Found Near Georgetown

Georgetown police investigate human remains found near the area airport by some children on Saturday. Police say the remains were in a culvert on the side of the road, but no personal effects were found at the scene. Investigators can't determine the age or sex of the person or how long the remains have been there at this point.

The remains have been sent to forensic scientists in San Antonio for analysis. When information comes back, police will use it to search a national database for missing people.

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=1240969&nav=0s3cFL7Y

10. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Dear Robert, Janet and Joanne,

extended family of Rachel, and all who know and love her,

Many prayers are going up today for all of you. May each of you know the peace that surpasses all understanding.

From Psalm 46:

God is our refuge and our strength,
    A very present help in trouble,
    Therefore we will not fear.

11. JackyeJ

JackyeJ FFJ Senior Member

The Jacobs Family sends love, hugs, prayers and hope to The Cookes.

12. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

Thank you

Our family sends thanks to all of you and the wonderful support which you've all given us. It's just a waiting game now. I did not hear anything yesterday. It was Easter so that's understandable.

I have a lot of questions , both new and old, to be answered.

13. KB

KB FFJ Senior Member

Thoughts and prayers.

Cooke Family,

My family and I have you all in our prayers. We are thinking of you every minute. We have prayed that this will be the beginning to the answers that you seek, but most importantly the beginning of some type of closure for you.

With Love and prayers,
    KB

14. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Such a Strong Man

We are with you every step of the way. As always, love to you and your family.

RR

15. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

News Stories

NEWS 8 Austin with video http://news8austin.com/content/top_stories/?ArID=69075

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/content/auto/epaper/editions/today/metro_state_4.html
    Discovery haunts missing teen's family
    Skeleton found in Georgetown won't be identified for weeks
    By Sarah Coppola

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, April 22, 2003

GEORGETOWN -- For more than a year, each time an unidentified body has turned up in Central Texas, Robert and Janet Cooke have taken phone calls from the law officers investigating their 19-year-old daughter's disappearance.

But last weekend's discovery of a skeleton in a drainage culvert about 10 miles from their neighborhood -- the last place Rachel Cooke was seen alive -- has heightened the couple's fears.

"They've found remains in Travis, Williamson and Bell counties before, but these are the first remains within 25 miles of our house," Robert Cooke said. "It looks like we're facing a lot more sleepless nights."

16. Todd

Todd FFJ Senior Member

Why weeks??? If I remember correctly Lacy's was identified in two days. Is there any way to do this faster or is there anyone we can place pressure on to get this done quicker?

Todd

17. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Todd, I am suspecting because in Laci's case there was still deep muscle tissue etc. for the forensic testing, and it sounds as if the remains in Georgetown were more skeletal. If this is true, then the amount of time being exposed to the elements will make it much harder to gather dna...I think.

18. Harley

Harley Member

My Prayers

as always are with you.

19. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Weeks?

Can't they at least get a measurement done, so that height could be estimated? This could eliminate a lot of missing people right away.

Have they determined male or female yet? That's another determination that (I think) could be done almost immediately.

20. Todd

Todd FFJ Senior Member

Lurk is thinking more like me. How long does it take to take impressions of teath and compaire them.

We are praying that we find our as fast as possible. I know it is hard for us to sleep at night I can not imagine how it is for you RC! Let us know if there is anything we can do.

Todd

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice