RMN-Santa Bill

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, May 6, 2003.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

'Santa Bill' flier arouses mixed feelings
    By Owen S. Good, Rocky Mountain News
    May 6, 2003

A brochure soliciting donations to a new scholarship at the University of Colorado evoked mixed emotions for a man known as "Santa Bill."

The mailing's picture of Bill McReynolds in full Santa Claus regalia causes some people to remember his role in the unsolved JonBenet Ramsey murder instead of his reputation as a kindly CU journalism professor until 1992.

McReynolds, whose white beard made him a perfect double for Saint Nick, played the elf for years. He was dragged into the lurid case because JonBenet, 6, had said Santa Claus told her he would pay a special visit.McReynolds had played Santa at private parties for the Ramseys for three years, included two nights before JonBenet was found murdered on Christmas Day, 1996.

McReynolds died Sept. 2 in Mashpee, Mass. He had not been an active suspect since at least 2000.

But anyone who comes under the case's "umbrella of suspicion" is always shaded by it.

"I think that's a real unfortunate connection," said Donna Jorgenson Farrell, a student of McReynolds who is organizing the scholarship drive.

Farrell said the Santa picture was used to create a "Christmas card in May." The brochure said the scholarship "will be given in the spirit of celebrating Christmas every day."

But at least two CU alums contacted a reporter to note the Santa picture and the connection to the Ramsey case. One, a former McReynolds advisee who asked her name not be used, said the picture was "in poor taste."

But journalism faculty member Beth Gaeddert said McReynolds' notoriety may work in favor of the fund raising.

"People who had him in class . . . really see him as a compassionate and excellent teacher," she said.

The scholarship needs to raise $25,000 to be endowed.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ramsey/article/0,1299,DRMN_1296_1940701,00.html

2. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Must be a slow news day.

3. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

I swear if I had 25 grand I would give it the fund.

4. AK

AK Member

The headline is right

I have mixed feelings when I hear the name "Santa Bill" too:

Disgust -- towards the Ramseys who knew this kindly man that treated them and their daughter so lovingly for three years -- yet they identified him as a suspect, knowing full well he didn't do it. What exemplary, Christian behavior!

Sadness -- for Bill and the McReynolds family for having to endure this horrendous accusation by people they once respected, and also for the community that was deprived of the greatest "Santa" they would ever see

Hope -- that Bill found peace in his final years by doing volunteer work for the elderly -- he certainly improved the lives of scores of people who came to know him at many stages of his life

Hilarity -- at what passes for journalism in Boulder, a city where the unethical press agent Michael Tracey is a professor and fans of an adept writer and teacher as Bill McReynolds should have to scrape together money to honor his memory

Shame -- toward the foolish pro-Ram forum leader and dipsomaniac P.I. who have systematically tried to smear Santa Bill's name, at the secret behest of stringpullers who have so much to hide.

5. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Yeah everybody's a suspect except the Wamseys. I hope they get SARS. Just kidding. I got swept up in the emotion of it all.

6. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Sadly....

the stigma of being thrown under the bus by the Ramseys and their cohorts will last forever.

There is a special place in hell for those who bear false witness against their neighbor. Patsy should get herself fitted for an asbestos gown to wear in her coffin. There'll be a hot time in the Old Town when she arrives.

7. AK

AK Member

LOL

I wonder if they make asbestos coffins for people who don't want to be cremated.

If anyone finds out how to make a donation to this fund, please let me know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice