Default Jahi Turner Missing 1 Year

Jahi Turner Missing 1 Year

Apr 25, 2003 12:01 pm US/Eastern

It's been exactly one year since two-year-old Jahi Turner went missing from a San Diego playground. Jahi had just moved from Frederick to California days before to live with his mother and step-father. The step-father, Tieray Jones, was the last person to see Jahi. He later told police he went to get a soda and when he got back Jahi was gone. San Diego police launched an intensive search, but later called it off when it turned up no clues.
    http://wjz.com/localstories/local_story_115121430.html

The past few weeks have been very hectic but I want Jahi to know that we have not forgotten him. Sadly, Jahi doesn't even have a web site any longer.
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

Jahi Turner

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

Default NO CHARGES FILED IN CASE OF JAHI TURNER

(01-09-2004) - District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis said in remarks published Friday that there is insufficient evidence to file charges in connection with the 2002 disappearance of 2-year-old Jahi Turner.

"This case has undergone an exhaustive review and unfortunately there is no closure," Dumanis said in a statement obtained by The San Diego Union-Tribune.

San Diego police homicide Lt. Jim Duncan told the newspaper that investigators still think the boy was killed, but prosecutors decided not to risk losing a murder trial in case new evidence should surface later. Jahi disappeared April 25, 2002.
    ...snip

In a prepared statement, Dumanis said the decision not to file charges was based on an "insufficiency of evidence."

A day before Jahi was reported missing, law enforcement officials told the Union-Tribune, a witness saw Jones lugging what appeared to be a large duffel bag, satchel or garbage bag to a trash bin near his Golden Hill apartment complex.

The information generated an exhaustive search by authorities of a section of the Miramar landfill, but nothing related to the disappearance was found. Jones has denied having anything to do with his stepson's disappearance.
    ...snip

http://www.kfmb.com/topstory21361.html

Angry

Poor baby.....

Default Frustrated city detectives ask state about Jahi case

By Kelly Thornton and J. Harry Jones
    STAFF WRITERS

January 10, 2004

San Diego homicide detectives were so frustrated with the district attorney's decision not to charge the stepfather in the disappearance of 2-year-old Jahi Turner that they contacted the state Attorney General's Office, authorities said.

"Some detectives made informal inquiries with the Attorney General's Office to inquire about the process of presenting a case if it ever got to that stage," said Executive Assistant Chief John Welter, the San Diego Police Department's second-in-command.

"But we don't at this point feel that would be a productive move."

District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis announced yesterday that charges were not being brought against anyone in the case because there isn't enough evidence. The announcement came nearly two years after the boy was reported missing by his stepfather.
    ...snip

The state Attorney General's Office has the authority to intervene in a case if there appears to be a local conflict of interest, if the district attorney declines to file and the attorney general thinks there's a case, or if smaller jurisdictions don't have the resources to prosecute complex cases. But intervention is rare.

Dumanis said yesterday that prosecutors have the ethical responsibility of bringing charges only when they feel they have a convincing case and a probability of winning a conviction.

Such was not the case against Tieray Jones, 25, who police said has been a homicide suspect almost since the first day he reported Jahi missing.

Welter said the department did not pursue the matter more formally with the Attorney General's Office.

"We had informal discussions, but we never presented the case to the attorney general because we don't feel at this time the case was strong enough to present and we want to keep the case open," he said.

"We're hoping additional evidence comes forward which will make the case stronger," Welter said. "Everyone that looks at this case believes he had something to do with it. What exactly, we don't know."
    ...snip

"They're very dedicated and hard-working detectives who have been working on this case for some time of course they would want to see this case issued. You don't blame them for the way they feel."

Welter said he and Lansdowne agreed with the decision not to prosecute. "The chief is ultimately the one who decides to send a case to the DA, and he decided that, and the chief is the one who decides if it goes any further, and he decided that."
    ...snip

"It's a judgment call. You don't want to let this guy walk if you're not ready," Welter said.
    ...snip

It's not unusual for detectives to get upset when told cases they developed are rejected.

"It's quite common," said Greg Walden, chief of the District Attorney's Case Disposition Unit. "They have an incredible amount invested in their cases and any time a child is involved, it's hard not to get emotional."
    ...snip

Penny Thompson, Jahi's maternal grandmother, who lives in Frederick, Md., said she was initially upset about the decision but has calmed down and understands what authorities are doing.

Attempts to locate Jones and the boy's mother were unsuccessful. Thompson said her daughter, who recently had a child, has been transferred to another city by the Navy. She said her daughter has the child with her.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/u...m10turner.html