What is your opinion of Lou Smit?

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Watching You, May 21, 2003.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Let 'er rip, everyone.

I believe Lou Smit has thoroughly compromised himself and the JBR case with his advocacy for the Ramseys. I believe it was abominable that he released confidential police information on national TV, spinning a non-supportable (no, jameson, the evidence does NOT support an intruder as you say it does, that is just assinine) intruder theory, damaging the investigation in a way no one else has ever done.

I believe Lou Smit jeopardized the investigation by talking to Susan Bennett, aka jameson, whether he revealed information to her or not. Her so-called "good" information is trash, but he repeated much of that trash on his TV programs, further damaging the investigation.

I believe Lou Smit has a huge ego (even though his supportors say he doesn't). He has an insatiable need to be right, even when his theory won't hold up to intense scrutiny.

I believe Lou Smit has twisted "evidence" where there was nothing to prove that "evidence" had one thing to do with the crime scene (a foot print that could have been there God knows how long but now belongs to an intruder, a fantasy stun gun, a packing peanut that an intruder brought in, a basement window entrance and exit, but nothing strewn through the house from that filthy window, and on and on...), and he dismissed obvious evidence that proved his theory wrong.

I believe Lou Smit is stubborn and opinionated, twisted in his belief the Ramseys could not be involved in the murder of their daughter.

I believe that Lou Smit was the one person who damaged the JBR investigation the most, probably beyond redemption. Lin Wood is an attorney, paid to spin. Lou Smit reminds me of the groupie women who fall in love with murderers in prison. He fell in love with the Ramseys, the main suspects in the murder of their daughter. Whether the Ramseys are guilty or not, he had a job to do - follow the evidence where it led him. He didn't do that - he led the evidence where he wanted it to go. No one will ever tell me any different.

2. Uncle Blabby

Uncle Blabby FFJ Senior Member

Aunt Blabby thinks

Lou Smit is a malicious old man. I don't know as I'd go that far, though, I just think he messed up badly on the Ramsey case. He got personally involved with the suspects and that is something a detective should never do if he wants to remain objective. It's a bit odd that he prayed with the Ramseys inside a van parked outside their home while he was a detective working for the D.S.'s office.

I don't trust Lou Smit. That's the bottom line for me.

3. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

What do I think of Lou Smit - as pertains to
    credibility? -273.15deg.C.

Delmar

4. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

jameson says

that Steve Thomas didn't put the truth out, that he put out his hypothesis which was NOT supported by the facts.

I say that quite the contrary, it is Lou Smit who did not put the truth out. He put out his convoluted hypothesis which is NOT supported either by the facts or the evidence. And, THAT's the truth.

5. EasyWriter

What is my opinion of Lou Smit - as pertains to
    credibility? -273.15deg.C

6. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

When I first read this thread I thought what am I going to say other than he was a doddering old fool like I have always said…but WY brings out some very good points…Jameson is quick to fault Steve for leaking information and thinking he compromised the investigation, and wrote a book from notes he took while serving as a police officer…yet quick to dismiss they demanded the stuff back that Smitty took, yet he got to keep it and blab it…and Jameson saying Kane wanted to destroy the information Smitty had.

He admittedly tried to get close to the Ramseys when he felt they were guilty to further his information base, and he probably did the same thing to Jameson…wanted to know what she had, why she had it, and how she was tied to the family.

Yeah, I think the Church case really took him over the top and made him a legend in his own mind, and he stumbled on the answer there because of new technology…let's see we get a new machine to check fingerprints in a database…insert fingerprint…out comes the answer…case solved and the doddering old fool was a hero…

Any detective worth his salt and integrity would have demanded the body be exhumed if he had a theory to prove whether it be a stun gun or not…but no…someone gave him the stun gun idea and he ran with it as fact…even when the Air Taser company said as recently as a few weeks ago with the voltage produced on their guns in 1996, it would not have subdued "even a child". You can have a theory, and not be faulted for that, but the bullsmit that it was a fact was MISinformation, and his groupie purports the same "fact". The footprint, as WY mentioned, is another perfect example…couldn't be dated…all the doors and windows being unlocked…well, they probably were after the police and friends arrived…no one came up with that one until mid-morning…duh? The windowsill, as we have all seen from the crime scene photos was absolutely filthy, and tons of leaves in the window well…yeah right someone got in there without even one tiny leaf coming in…absolutely preposterous. Patsy, as much of a slob as she was didn't drop the packing peanut out of a box at some point in time…like when she was wrapping the my-twin doll…we know that had to be ordered and shipped to her.

Well, he didn't follow the evidence as it was laid out…he created a hypothesis and pushed the evidence in front of his theory…called it "following the evidence"…he was working for the perps once he switched sides…totally forgot about the mother of all ransom notes which actually was evidence, and concentrated on a frikkin packing peanut and the window entry, and then made up the stun gun crap…guess he figured anything is believable when taken out of context. And if anyone watched his cute little tape of how HE entered through the window, it totally disproves his own theory about being able to get in and not have there be any evidence left behind…when he contorted himself through the space, he left fingerprints…but that doesn't count…cause it gets in the way of the truth!

7. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

I think Lou Smit has a history of being tenacious and hard-working on past cases, for instance, he is known for sifting through huge garbage bags that other cops probably wouldn't bother to do, in an effort to find clues.

That's cool--I admire that. Don't confuse "hard-working and tenacious" with "intelligent," however. Any investigator who's been at it literally for decades and DARES to use the phrase "parents wouldn't do this" tells me he is either in total denial, delusional, not very bright, or lying, frankly. Nobody's that dumb.

All paths lead straight to Patsy Ramsey.

8. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

I agree Bob, tenacious is admirable, and I also agree with not confusing it with intelligent...you said it sooooooooooo well.

9. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Easy Writer wrote:

"What do I think of Lou Smit - as pertains to
    credibility? -273.15deg.C."

Easy Writer I haven't had my morning coffee yet so therefore I can't comprehend what you are saying. Not that the coffee would help me figure it out. I just wanted to pass myself off as someone who understands equations like the one you posted.
    Actually I don't have a clue...please explain..:)

Lou Smit reminds me a little bit of Ronald Regan. Right before he admitted he had Alzheimer's. I am serious. I am not trying to be rude or insensitive truly I am not.

When I see Lou Smit I see a man confused. He really is. He changes his story to fit the latest evidence. His brain is not processing the information like it would have 20 years ago. In fact his brain is not functioning anywhere near that it needs to function on this case. I am serious when I tell you he seems like he has very early stages of Alzheimer's. Try and think back to Regan in the final days of his Administration. He reminds me a lot of Lou Smit.

That's what I think.

Signed,

Dr. Tricia

10. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

What do I think of Lou.....

I think he's an ACE Detective....

11. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

The window scene revisited....

12. EasyWriter

BOB C:
    "That's cool--I admire that. Don't confuse "hard-working and
    tenacious" with "intelligent," however. Any investigator who's
    been at it literally for decades and DARES to use the phrase
    "parents wouldn't do this" tells me he is either in total denial,
    delusional, not very bright, or lying, frankly. Nobody's that
    dumb.

All paths lead straight to Patsy Ramsey."

You won't get any argument from me on this.

TRICIA:
    >What do I think of Lou Smit - as pertains to
    >credibility? -273.15deg.C."

Easy Writer I haven't had my morning coffee yet so therefore I
    can't comprehend what you are saying. Not that the coffee would
    help me figure it out. I just wanted to pass myself off as
    someone who understands equations like the one you posted.
    Actually I don't have a clue...please explain.

Oops, Sorry. Sometimes I forget that not everyone is a
    "technonut" like I am. -273.15deg.C is absolute zero. This is the
    level of Smit's credibility. Also, -273.15deg.C is as cold as
    anything can get, such as the trail of an "intruder", to wit, a
    double metaphor.

Delmar

13. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Bob C

Right on. As I began to read this thread I was thinking of what I might add about my thoughts of loosmit. You beat me to the punch. I have heard of his past cases and how he stumbled upon the perp and got his man so to speak. But that was then and this is now. He became too close tothe Rammers and then couldn't become objective. Someone in this investigation said that they couldn't have done it because there is no violence in their background. And when asked if they did it they replied "no." So therefore they couldn't have done it...duh!!! That is the logic of loosemit too. Logic smocig. He didn't use evidence at all like the ransome note. He used his own logic...what the H&ll kind of case solving is that?

He had some glory days behind him and I believe he traded on that glory to help solve this case. Only thing is that glory is way behind him and he goofed this time and muddled to his conclusion and messed up the whole case. He needs to step aside once and for all not just with case but all cases. He is finished. It is heard for some who have been at the top of their game to realize that they are no longer there...at the top. They have slipped and it is sad to see sometimes.

14. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Smit Sit

If Lou Smit doesn't realize how foolish he looked in this picture when it was known that the window contained no fiber evidence and had a fresh layer of dust on December 26, then one can only pity him as a dottering incompetent.

Yes, Moab you are correct, any detective worth his salt and integrity would have demanded the body be exhumed knowing it could very well solve this case and as close as Smit is to the Ramsey's I truly believe he alone could have convinced them that this was necessary in order to remove the umbrella of suspicion.

15. Thor

Thor Active Member

I still like the parody shot of Loose in his Delorean. Is that the way you spell that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice