Petition News!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, May 25, 2003.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

http://www.bouldernews.com/bdc/local_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2418_1988520,00.html

Nearly 300 request a new investigator in JonBenet case
    Petition says DA is biased in favor of parents

By Amy Hebert, Camera Staff Writer
    May 25, 2003

Nearly 300 people have signed an Internet petition asking Gov. Bill Owens to appoint a special prosecutor in the JonBenet Ramsey case.

The petition, launched May 15 by a Web site called Forums for Justice, says Boulder County District Attorney Mary Keenan cannot lead a proper investigation into the 1996 slaying. It says Keenan is biased in favor of JonBenet's parents and has effectively "set the suspects free."

But Tricia Griffith, the Utah resident who runs forumsforjustice.org, said the petition is about justice, not finger-pointing.

"This isn't about finding the Ramseys guilty," Griffith said. "This is about an impartial special prosecutor looking at the evidence, which I would assume the Ramseys want."

Owens decided against appointing a special prosecutor in 1999 after assembling a task force of legal experts to consider the idea. An Internet petition isn't likely to change his mind, Owens' spokesman Dan Hopkins said.

"It's not something the governor is looking to do at the current time," Hopkins said Wednesday.

He said he did not want to elaborate because he hadn't seen the petition.

Griffith said a lot has changed since 1999 that she hopes will make Owens realize it's time to "step up to the plate."

Keenan's office took over the investigation from the Boulder Police Department in December, and four months later she said she agreed with a civil court's conclusion that evidence indicates an intruder killed the 6-year-old in the family's Boulder home.

An Atlanta judge last month dismissed a defamation lawsuit against John and Patsy Ramsey, concluding that evidence presented in the suit suggests JonBenet was not killed by her parents. The suit, brought by Boulder journalist Chris Wolf, claimed the Ramseys named Wolf as a suspect to cover up their own involvement in the slaying.

Keenan declined to comment for this story, but when the lawsuit was dismissed, she said she agreed with the judge's conclusion and that her office is following new leads that support the intruder theory. However, she said she was not influenced by the judge's decision, which was only based on partial evidence, and would not exclude the Ramseys from investigation.

The investigation is being assisted by Lou Smit, a retired Colorado Springs detective who quit working on the case with former District Attorney Alex Hunter after concluding the Ramseys were innocent but were being targeted by police.

The petition says Smit is a friend of the Ramseys, and it says the case requires "fresh eyes" and professional inquiry from people who are not influenced by the Ramseys or their friends or attorneys.

The Ramseys' Atlanta attorney, L. Lin Wood, disputed that his threat of a lawsuit against Boulder police had anything to do with Keenan's decision to take over the case.

"They flatter me with their incorrect assumptions of my power and influence in Boulder," Wood said.

He said the case is getting unbiased, objective treatment from Keenan, and that the people behind the petition "are never going to be satisfied until somebody adopts the position that they believe in."

Wood also dismissed the number of signatures the petition has gathered.

The fact that fewer than 300 people have signed it is "an indication that the majority of people understand that John and Patsy Ramsey are innocent and have been wrongly accused," he said.

Contact Amy Hebert at heberta@dailycamera.com or (303) 473-1329.

2. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

No links

To the Petition or the Forum.

Wow - this must be how JonBenet feels - ignored and insignificant in the Grand SCHEME of things.

Thank you Colorado -
    RR

3. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

In your dreams, Woody

he compares nationwide polls to an internet forum petition - what a whacko. Of course, it makes good spin and good press, so what else can one expect from him?

They are all in bed together - Wood, Keenan, Smit, the Ramseys. Wood is spinning like crazy to deny he had anything to do with the investigation being taken out of the BPD's hands. At least jameson says she was partially responsible for having "new" investigators look at the case (new, my a$$).

I loathe liars.

4. Watching You

Maybe we need to write to

Bill O'Reilly, ya think?

5. Watching You

Yeh, heh, VP

Lawyer threatens lawsuit
    DA trumps PD and takes case away from them
    Lawyer withdraws threat

No hanky panky there that I can see.

No connection to Lynn Woods at all, not at all.

6. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Yes everyone please write Bill O'Reilly and others with this article and the petition.

We will be doing more to get the word out but not until next week. It will be fun I promise.

Pass the petition along to everyone.

Haven't you found that when you tell people what is going on in Boulder they are appalled? Nobody knows about it. That is the problem.

Anything you can all do would be appreciated.

Tricia

7. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Has Lin Wood always been this charming?

"flattering" Linn Wood? Just as soon as hell freezes over.

8. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Great article!

It shows that there are many people out there who do not agree with Judge Carnes or Lin Wood that the Ramseys are innocent of the molestation, strangulation and bludgeoning death of their daughter JonBenet on Christmas Day in1996.

As with most petitions, for everyone who signs, there are ten more who agree but do not sign. A drawback for many with an internet petition is that they do not wish to put their real names out on the web. With the sort of people who support the Ramseys....people like Sue Bennett, Lin Wood, Mary Suma, and Bruce Plasket....there is good reason to fear retaliation.

I hope that the petition continues to gather steam, and that the conscience of the Colorado Governor will be moved by it.

9. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Hi Lurker

I will compliment Linn Wood just as soon as beagles fly!

10. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Please note that I did sign the petition. That said, I hate to be the wet blanket here but unless there are numerous signatures with a Colorado address I fear that Gov. Bill Owens isn't going to take this too seriously (unless he has plans to run for higher office some day.) As with all politicians, his real interest will be in how many of those signatures are coming from his own state.

Unfortunately, I think we all know by now that most Boulderites are no longer interested in what happened to JonBenét. If the rest of Colorado is as complacent as Boulder than this case will be shelved unless some future DA decides to make a name for his or herself by solving it.

11. AK

AK Member

Heck, yes!

Contact Bill O'Reilly. Geraldo too.

12. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Not saying never VP - just saying I hope those Colorado readers will get busy and sign and commenting on politicians in general.

13. Ayeka

Ayeka Member

The article

May not have a link to the petition itself, but the forum address is mentioned there with Tricia's name. We just need to put a big ol' link on the front page of this site!

Ayeka

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice