Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Candlelight Vigils Held for Missing Toddler

(KSL News) Candlelight vigils were held for 19-month old Acacia Bishop in both Salt Lake and Idaho last night.

The young girl was allegedly kidnapped by her mentally ill grandmother Sunday night.

In Idaho people gathered on the banks of the Snake River -- the last place that the toddler was seen -- and where it is believed she was drowned by her grandmother, Kelley Lodmell.

Acasia's body still has not been found. Her parents say they will not leave the state until they know where their daughter is.

In Salt Lake a smaller but no less heartfelt vigil was held in Liberty Park.

Pictures of Acacia decorated the sidewalks and yellow balloons were held as a symbol of hope as
    those gathered said prayers for the missing child.

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=30677
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

©

Default Acacia's Father says Amber Alert Not Issued Quickly Enough

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- The father of a missing toddler, feared drowned by her grandmother in Idaho's Snake River, said guidelines for issuing Amber Alerts should be changed to more quickly allow alerts for children abducted by relatives.

Adam Bishop, father of 19-month-old Acacia Patience Bishop who has been missing since Sunday evening, said police waited too long when they issued an Amber Alert 4:40 a.m. Monday -- about 10 hours after the girl allegedly was taken by her grandmother, Kelley Lodmell.

Questions about the amount of time between the disappearance and the alert point out the dilemma faced by police who want to act quickly but worry that unnecessary alerts could diminish their effectiveness.

The problem is compounded, officials say, by apparent abductions that turn out to be false alarms or common domestic disputes.
    ...snip

Police say the time taken to issue the alert was necessary to verify that Lodmell -- who once before had taken Acacia before the child's parents found her after about 30 minutes -- hadn't innocently taken the child.

Bishop said he and Acacia's mother, Casey Lodmell, lost precious hours overnight when more people could have known about the abduction.

"We're going to press for a difference in this Amber Alert because I don't think it pertains very well to the people who are related," Bishop said.
    ...snip

But Kennard said his department first had to verify that the abduction was more serious than Acacia's previous disappearance.
    ...snip

Before police can issue an Amber Alert, they must have information that makes them think the child, younger than 18, was abducted. Alerts are not issued for runaways.

Police must also consider the child to be in imminent danger of serious injury or death, and authorities must have enough information for an alert. Most often, alerts include license plate numbers and car model information that broadcasters and signs can easily transmit.

Kennard issued the alert after waiting to confirm what he called vagueness from the family about whether Acacia was in danger.

"The discrepancies are that this had happened before -- was this the same thing that happened before?" Kennard said. "Who do you believe, and who do you put more credibility to their statements?"
    ...snip

Family abductions are difficult for police because it's tough to know when to issue an alert. Kennard didn't want to "cry wolf" but says his department will take a close look at what it could have done more quickly.

"You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't," Kennard said. The alert's timing was "a decision that I made, and we made the best decision we could at the time with the information that we had."

Officers knew about Acacia's abduction almost immediately after her parents reported it, through an alert distributed to deputies across the county. But it was the Amber Alert, which crossed state lines, that eventually led Idaho Falls police to detain Lodmell.
    ...snip

A national conference scheduled for August in Dallas will give officials their first wide look at the federal law that President Bush signed April 30.

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=30822

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

©

Default Divers End Search for Missing Toddler; Air Searches Continue

May. 30, 2003
    IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) -- Divers ended their search of the Snake River on Friday for a missing toddler believed to have been killed by her mentally ill grandmother.

However, the boat and air search continued for 19-month-old Acacia Patience Bishop.
    ...snip

Lodmell, 38, reportedly told authorities she drowned the child in a murder-suicide attempt.
    ...snip

A plane will fly over the river banks below the downtown dam for several more days, looking for signs of the child. Officials in boats will keep plying the river.

"They'll still have divers on hand if they find something suspicious," Hunt said. "But primarily it will be boats and jet skis and the plane."

The child's parents say they believe Acacia is still alive, perhaps being hidden by another person or left elsewhere by Lodmell.

However, based on Lodmell's statements and evidence found in her car and motel room after she was arrested, authorities think the toddler was drowned.

"If her body's in this portion of the river we're at the point now where if her body is still intact it should be brought to the surface of the water any time now," Hunt said. "And maybe the body has already gone past these areas that we're searching and gone further down the river."
    ...snip

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?sid=30994&nid=5

©

Default Missing Tot's Family Critical of Police Efforts

By Matt Canham
    The Salt Lake Tribune

Family members of a 19-month-old Utah girl police say was kidnapped and then killed by her mentally ill grandmother in Idaho are increasingly frustrated with the efforts of law enforcement.

"It is a sloppy, sloppy investigation," said Adam Bishop, the father of Acacia Patience Bishop.

He said family members on Tuesday found a methamphetamine pipe in the car driven to Idaho by the grandmother, Kelley Jean Lodmell, an item apparently missed in a police search. He also questions why police reject the possibility Acacia could still be alive.
    ...snip

Bishop said police are focused on their theory and refuse to consider Acacia may be alive. The family believes Lodmell gave the baby to a friend who may try to keep or sell her.

"We strongly believe that this is something bigger than police imagine," Bishop said. "The police have not offered the type of support that we need."

Idaho Falls police Lt. Ken Brown said Tuesday he knew nothing about a meth pipe. He declined to respond to the family's criticism, but said: "We will respond to any lead or any information that people call in."

The car used by Lodmell was released to the family a few days ago. Bishop said one of his brothers found a meth pipe under a seat. "This is a big part of an investigation," Bishop said. The family is taking the pipe back to Idaho and will turn it over to police.
    ...snip

Police continue to search the Snake River.

On Monday, Acacia's great-grandmother Linda Lodmell visited Lodmell in jail, at the request of the girl's parents...snip

"I asked her where the baby was. She said, 'She is in good hands.' I asked 'Did you harm the baby?' and she said, 'She is in good hands,' " Linda Lodmell said. Lodmell also said " 'She is in good hands with Allstate' " and "kind of laughed," Linda Lodmell said.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Jun/06042003/utah/62846.asp

©

Default very sad

Thsi is such a sad situation. It sounds like the grandmother has both mental and drug abuse problems. I have to agree with the parents that LE shouldn't ignore that the child might still be alive. This b1tch might have sold her to pay for her addiction.

Default Website set up for Acacia Bishop

It's probably too late to get justice for JonBenét. Maybe it always was. But knowing where things went wrong is the first step to not going there again. **-- Alan Prendergast-Dec 21, 2006--**