Default Clue sparks frantic search: Swimsuit may be Molly's

by Tom Farmer
    Tuesday, May 20, 2003

A torn bathing suit identical to the one worn by missing Warren lifeguard Molly Bish triggered a broad search of a remote wooded area several miles from where Bish was last seen, giving her family hope they may finally learn what happened to the 16-year-old who vanished without a trace nearly three years ago.

``There is a bathing suit that looks much like Molly's,'' said the missing girl's mother, Magdalen Bish. ``We're putting it into God's hands right now and praying for courage to face whatever the outcome is.''
    ...snip

The dark-blue, one-piece Nike bathing suit was found last Wednesday in the rugged wooded area on Warren Hill in Palmer near the Palmer-Ware line by Timothy McGuigan, a former central Massachusetts police officer and author working on a book about the 1993 murder of 10-year-old Holly Piirainen.

McGuigan had been led to the swimsuit by a local hunter who noticed the garment last November but failed to report it to police.

``The color, make and size are consistent with the bathing suit Molly was wearing when she disappeared,'' said McGuigan.

``Chances are it's hers. It was in an area where it doesn't belong and even though it's only 100 or 150 yards from the road, there are no trails and it's an area used for hunting.''

The bathing suit was collected by the Massachusetts State Police Crime Scene Services Section and is being tested at the state police laboratory in Sudbury, Conte said.

Sources said the crotch of the bathing suit had been ``torn out.''

Magdalen Bish said investigators already have a DNA profile for her missing daughter but it remains to be seen if the bathing suit's prolonged exposure to the elements will result in investigators being able to collect genetic matter to compare with Molly's.
    ...snip

``We have been in contact with the state police and are respecting their wishes to be somewhat respectful of the investigation,'' she said.

``There will be a large search,'' Bish said. ``Our family is kind of gathered and we have some friends here and we're feeling a myriad of emotions. It has been an unbelievable roller coaster ride.''
    ...snip

McGuigan said during research for his book on Piirainen, who was found murdered in Brimfield two months after she was last seen in Sturbridge, he sought local hunters to interview about remote areas where they stalked game.

He said he was stunned when the Hardwick hunter told him about the bathing suit last week, instantly thinking about the Bish case and how close the area is to where she was last seen alive.

``He said he really didn't think to report it until I started talking about the Bish case,'' McGuigan said.

Looking at the torn and twisted garment in the secluded area full of rocks and cliffs, McGuigan said he considered the worst for the missing girl.
    ...snip

Investigators have identified at least two suspects in Bish's disappearance but have not been able to connect anyone to the case.

One man took a polygraph test that Conte called ``inconclusive,'' while a second suspect refused to cooperate past an initial interview.
    ...snip

http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/lo...sh05202003.htm
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

Default 'Intensive' Bish effort mapped

05/22/2003

By KIM RING
    Staff writer

PALMER - Converging on a wooded spot where a blue bathing suit was found, police with cadaver-sniffing dogs fanned out yesterday in search of more clues to the disappearance of Warren lifeguard Molly Anne Bish.

As state police scoured the terrain, Worcester County District Attorney John J. Conte said authorities continue to investigate local suspects in the case of the missing girl. Bish disappeared nearly three years ago at age 16 while guarding Comins Pond in Warren five miles from the search site.

The case, which Conte said could hinge on DNA evidence, is being watched closely not only by the parents of Bish, but by the family of Holly Piirainen, the 10-year-old whose body was found in Brimfield a decade ago and whose murder has never been solved.
    ...snip

Tomorrow's search will be "more intensive . . . more significant" and would involve more personnel, he said, adding yesterday's search yielded "initial progress."
    ...snip

The swimsuit, retrieved by state police last week, matches one worn by Molly when she disappeared after her mother dropped her off for lifeguard duties on the morning of June 27, 2000.

The suit is being tested at the state police crime laboratory in Sudbury.

Conte said plans for the investigation include using DNA from subjects "who may have been incarcerated" or others. He said that part of the investigation is probably a long way off.

Testing on the bathing suit could take six to eight weeks, Conte said.

"We're trying to move that up so we can positively know if that's the bathing suit Molly had on that day," Conte said.
    ...snip

Conte said DNA evidence will be the key to the case.

It's a key that members of Holly Piirainen's family wish they had when she disappeared nearly a decade ago while visiting her grandparents in Sturbridge when she was 10 years old.
    ...snip

"DNA came such a long way since then," Maureen E. Lemieux said yesterday.

Lemieux said she's keeping a close eye on developments in the Bish case because a resolution for Molly's family could mean a development for Holly's family, too. If nothing else, the news about Molly's case generates new interest in Holly's death.

"Are they connected?" Lemieux said. "The geography is close."

And there are other similarities. The girls were each blond, and, had she lived, Holly would be the same age as Molly.

Lemieux has worked with the Bish family on their child identification programs. She said she admires their strength and often wonders how they go on.

Lemieux said there was some relief in bringing Holly home to be buried even though it meant acknowledging that she'd met a terrible fate.

"I don't think I'd rather still be waiting," Lemieux said. "At least we know she's at peace."
    ...snip

http://www.masslive.com/news/republi...8872271044.xml

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

Default `We pray every day for Molly': Police hunt clues, father fears worst

by Franci Richardson
    Saturday, May 24, 2003

After four days of scouring an eight-acre parcel in Palmer, investigators yesterday unearthed a blanket that Molly Bish's parents fear could mark the place where she may have been physically or sexually assaulted.

``We pray every day for Molly's return, but I don't want to hear what may have happened to her or have her (body) found in the woods,'' said a conflicted John Bish, father of the 16-year-old lifeguard who vanished from her Comins Pond post three years ago.

``As much as I want to find her, I don't. I'm afraid to hear what might have happened to her - afraid of what that will do to my family. It'll tear my heart out,'' he said.

Worcester County District Attorney John Conte yesterday said his team of investigators did recover some items, but refused to elaborate, saying ``I don't think it's anything significant.''
    ...snip

The father said investigators also have discovered some clothing, but none that belonged to his daughter.
    ...snip

Conte said Bode Technology Group in Springfield, Va., will be able to do ``a more sophisticated type of DNA testing that can be done on material that has been degraded over a period of time.''

It was unclear when Bode's testing would be complete, but the lab's director, James Lee, said it could take days to weeks.
    ...snip

``I feel hopeful this is what we're looking for, but I don't know that to be the case,'' he said.

Conte hopes to match any of the DNA against a pool of local suspects, whom he refused to name. He said 11 people failed lie detector tests during the course of the investigation.

About five of the eight-and-a-half acres near the Nenameseck Sportsmen's Club in Palmer have been searched.

Police will return Tuesday to resume the search through Wednesday, said Edward Karcasinas, Conte's spokesman. The targeted area, which investigators are systematically searching on their hands and knees with rakes, is about 5 miles from where Molly was last seen. K-9 dogs are used for about five hours during the day and police are cutting down small trees to have a better view of the area.
    ...snip

John Bish said he was grateful to Boudreau for bringing police to the mysterious suit.

``This has been the first piece of evidence that could tell us what happened to (Molly) and where she may have been taken,'' he said.

John Bish said he's often been unable to bear not knowing what happened to his daughter after she vanished, but sometimes, he admits the not-knowing has been a kind of bliss.

``Now it seems like we're waiting for the shoe to fall,'' he said. ``It's almost like we're at that envelope where we've prayed for her return and we're hopeful, but we've had to be realistic about her peril.''

http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/lo...sh05242003.htm

Default Haunted: Bish's parents prepare for worst

by Franci Richardson
    Monday, May 26, 2003

For three long years, Magi and John Bish have managed to chase away the graphic ``mental monsters'' that haunt them about their daughter Molly's likely abduction from her lifeguard post in Warren.

But with last week's discovery of what they believe to be her swimsuit in a wooded area, five miles from where she vanished, the Bishes find themselves ambivalent about grasping the approaching truth.

``How do you say you'd like to find your child dead so you're at peace?'' cried Magi Bish, sitting in her living room that has been transformed into a makeshift shrine for the 16-year-old baby of her three children.

``I don't want someone to have Molly. I don't want someone to have hurt Molly. How does Molly survive for three years without us when we've had a hard time surviving without her?'' she asked.
    ...snip

A stark reality that the Bishes' blonde beauty indeed may have been frightened and abused, if not taken and tortured, has emerged harshly for them.

``She's a pretty blonde girl - they're not watching TV and eating cereal with her - what are they doing to her?'' Magi Bish asked sarcastically.

And those realizations have shattered a semi-bearable world since Molly's disappearance, where friends have ``held our hearts'' while the couple has managed to avoid having to let their daughter go completely.
    ...snip

Since Molly went missing, the Bishes have been functioning in overdrive, trying to prevent another child from being snatched.

Magi, who shuns confrontation, is most proud of her role in helping to persuade Bay State Sen. Edward M. Kennedy to vote in favor of the Amber Alert, despite some minor problems he had with other parts of the legislation.

She was on her knees in her living room crying and praying when the vote passed unanimously, 98-0.

``I could help. It was something I could do,'' she said.

One of Magi's prized possessions is a picture of her, her husband and Kennedy with a note from the senator that reads: ``The new Amber Alert law is for Molly and it wouldn't have been enacted without you.''
    ...snip

http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/lo...sh05262003.htm

Default Thanks, JR

I think about Molly and her parents often. It looks like they may be nearing the end of their search for Molly.

I pray to God that the perp's DNA has somehow survived in the environment...on the blanket or the swimsuit. Then a DNA matchup by LEA. Mr. amd Mrs. Bish deserve to know, for better or for worse.

God bless Tim McGuigan for his persistence in seeking justice for little Holly, and for having the brains and skills to connect the two cases.