Default Coroner: Plastic 'Noose' Found Around Peterson Baby's Neck

WARNING! Very graphic!

Report Could Boost Defense Claims

NBC 6 News Team

POSTED: 1:29 p.m. EDT May 29, 2003
    UPDATED: 2:56 p.m. EDT May 29, 2003

NBC News has exclusively obtained a portion of a coroner's report on Connor Peterson, the unborn son of Laci and Scott Peterson. Scott Peterson is accused of killing his wife, Laci, and their unborn son after Laci was reported missing from her Modesto home on Christmas Eve.
    ...snip

The coroner's report indicates that 1 ½ loops of plastic tape were found around Connor Peterson's neck. In addition, the report also said a "significant cut" was found on the baby's body, which the report said was made after he died. In addition, a half-centimeter of umbilical cord was found protruding from the body. The findings appear to indicate that Connor Peterson may have been born, rather than expelled from Laci Peterson's body after it was dumped in the water near Richmond, Calif., as the prosecution is expected to claim.

The report indicates that not only was the baby born, but that someone had contact with it to loop the tape around its neck and place the large cut or tear extending from the fetus' right shoulder to its abdomen, which exposed internal organs. The report did not indicate that any of the baby's organs had been removed.

Abrams conducted an interview by telephone with forensic pathologist Dr. Werner Spitz, a forensic expert not involved in the case, who called the findings "very significant." Spitz said that the coroner's report indicated that the unbilical cord was likely cut, because it would have been very difficult to tear, although Spitz said it could also have been "bitten."
    ...snip

Abrams also interviewed well-known forensic pathologist Dr. Cyril Wecht, who said the cuts
    found on the baby's body were consistent with the child having been removed from the mother's womb via an incision, rather than expelled from the body due to decomposition of the uterus, although Wecht said that he could not come to a definitive conclusion without seeing the report himself. Wecht also said the report's findings were extremely significant.
    ...snip

The Satanic cult theory was widely dismissed, but this new evidence could boost the defense claim. Criminal defense attorney Brian Wice said that while the defense is not required to prove its theory in the case, the report could help attorney Mark Geragos and his team create reasonable doubt with the jury.
    ...snip

'Dynamite Evidence'

Wecht, whose name became familiar to Americans during the O.J. Simpson murder trial, in which he testified as a defense expert, told Abrams that the fact that searchers who found the body were able to identify it as a male is also extremely significant.

"The smaller the body mass, the faster the process of decomposition will be," said Wecht, pointing out that the baby was spotted near San Francisco Bay a day before Laci Peterson's body was found, and that "non-medical personnel" immediately identified it as male. The coroner's report also indicated that the baby was clearly male, and that the genitals and anus were intact.

"When the baby was found, they immediately identified the sex -- they said it was a male baby," said Wecht. "If that is true, I find it extremely hard to believe the baby was floating
    around the bay for three months. The anus and external genetalia would not have remained in tact for three months."
    ...snip

Wecht said he found it "absolutely amazing" that the baby could have been floating in the bay for three months with the anus and external genitals remaining in tact. "I find that hard to square," he said.
    ...snip

Still, Wecht said the new information "could be an incredibly fortuitous post mortem artifact. If it turns out to be true, I think this is dynamite evidence for Scott Peterson."

http://www.nbc6.net/news/2235749/detail.html
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

©

Default Laci's Unborn Son Had Tape Around Neck and Large Cut on Body

Thursday, May 29, 2003

Laci Peterson's unborn child was found with one-and-a-half loops of plastic tape wrapped around his neck and a large cut on his body, believed to have come from a knife or some sort of sharp object, an investigation source told Fox News.
    ...snip

A source close to the investigation told Fox News that it's possible the baby may have been born before he died.
    ...snip

Sources say it's possible the baby may have been strangled and that it's not likely the tape was placed around the neck after the body was discovered.

They did not rule out that the plastic somehow got wrapped around the baby's neck while he was under water, and that the plastic may have been debris.
    ...snip

An addendum to the autopsy report says: "One and a half loops of plastic tape are around the neck of the fetus with an extension to a knot near the left shoulder ... an examination of the chest reveals an apparent post-mortem tear exposing the internal surfaces of the right shoulder and the right hemithorax. The wound margins are without evidence of chewing or scalloping."

Chewing or scalloping likely would have been evident if the tear was caused by natural causes.
    ...snip

"It continues to be the view of the district attorney that the evidence in this case should be presented in court through the testimony of witnesses and not selectively leaked to the news media by unknown persons whom the press will not identify," said a statement from Brazelton.
    ...snip

The defense claims that prosecutors don't have any substantial evidence -- such as blood -- to link Peterson to the two deaths.

A prosecution source told Fox News that the autopsy report "has some things that are subject to interpretation, but overall there is nothing in there that triggered us to do another search warrant of Peterson's home, and nothing that shows us that Scott Peterson did not commit this crime."

The source added: "We have not shown our cards yet, there is a lot more evidence than has been reported, with all signs pointing to Scott Peterson."

Sources close to the defense believe the new information will cause the prosecution "grave hesitation" as the case goes forward, maybe even leading to "a dismissal against him."
    ...snip

Bill Ellis, a cult expert from Pennsylvania State University, said the recent developments in the case are completely inconsistent with cult-like behavior.

Cults don't typically target pregnant women, he said, but when they have killed babies, they have never executed them by using a noose or hanging. Historically, babies killed by satanists were cannibalized.

In similar legal cases where the defense team has used a "satanic defense," signs of strangulation or a "noose" have ended up being garbage that caught on the corpse in the water or wherever the body had been left.
    ...snip

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88090,00.html

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

©

Default Plastic Noose?

Tape Found Around Peterson Baby’s Neck, Also on Laci’s Body

May 29— Knotted plastic tape was wrapped around the neck of Laci Peterson's baby when the tiny body was found on a San Francisco Bay beach, sources close to the investigation told ABCNEWS.

There was also tape on the mother's body, which was discovered nearby a day after the baby's remains washed up, the sources said.

The tape was found outside Laci Peterson's clothing on her lower torso, they said.
    ...snip

‘Intended Victim’

When asked what the tape on the bodies might mean to the case, Robert Pugsley, a law professor at the Southwestern University School of Law in Los Angeles, told ABCNEWS Radio: "This 8-month-old fetus was the direct intended victim, as well as the mother, of the homicidal activities of the murderer.

"This is a clear indication that the state is perfectly justified — indeed, I think, obliged — to pursue the double-homicide case which they've already laid," he said.

But Dr. Robert Goldberg, a forensic pathologist in Marietta, Ga., said there are a lot of unanswered questions involving the tape, making it too early to tell if it means the baby was killed, or who the killer is.

"It could have been picked up as some artifact in the water," Goldberg said. "The child could have been dead before this occurred, and this could just be a connection to keep the child weighted down."
    ...snip

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/Wo...psy030529.html

©

Default Tape looped around fetus’s neck

MODESTO, Calif., May 29 — The body of the fetus found near its slain mother, Laci Peterson, on the shore of the San Francisco Bay had one and a half loops of plastic tape around its neck, according to a portion of the coroner’s report on the autopsy on the fetus obtained exclusively Thursday by NBC News. The finding could be used by the defense team for Scott Peterson, Laci’s husband, who is accused in her death, to bolster its theory that Laci and the fetus were killed in a satanic ritual.

IN ADDITION to the presence of what could have been a noose, the report also indicated that the fetus had a significant cut on its torso inflicted after death.

There was about a two-centimeter gap between the tape and Conner Peterson’s neck, according to the report, NBC News’ Dan Abrams reported.
    ...snip

A coroner completed autopsies on the bodies, but no cause of death has been announced.

SUSPECTS REPORTEDLY IDENTIFIED

Defense sources told NBC News last week that investigators hired by the defense have identified “four (or) possibly five people” who they believe actually killed Laci Peterson.

The sources, who spoke with Abrams on condition of anonymity, said they obtained the names of the suspects, who they say have been involved in “satanic activity,” from a “mystery witness.”
    ...snip

SATANIC RITUAL?

Abrams reported that the defense also is preparing an attack on the police investigation not unlike the one mounted in the defense of O.J. Simpson, acquitted in October 1995 in the death of his wife and a male friend. The Peterson defense will say that, from Day One, the authorities only looked at Scott Peterson as a possible suspect, and that some evidence against him may have been tainted.

They also plan to attack the credibility of Amber Frey, a Fresno woman who had an affair with Scott Peterson prior to his wife’s disappearance. Frey, who is expected to be called as a witness at Scott Peterson’s trial, cooperated with police as they attempted to strengthen their case, going so far as to secretly record conversations with her lover, the sources charged.

Geragos, Scott Peterson’s attorney, has said the defense team would not be satisfied with an acquittal.
    ...snip

PROCEDURAL VICTORY

On Tuesday, after refusing to open certain court records to public scrutiny, a judge handed attorneys for Scott Peterson a procedural victory by scheduling a preliminary hearing for mid-July. During the proceeding, which will be in lieu of a criminal grand jury, Peterson’s attorneys will be able to challenge prosecutors’ evidence that their client killed his pregnant wife, Laci, and their unborn child and present their own theory about who committed the crime.
    ...snip

Girolami also handed Peterson’s defense a procedural victory by scheduling a preliminary hearing for July 16 at which prosecutors will attempt to show that there is sufficient evidence to try him on murder charges.

A preliminary hearing gives defense attorneys the opportunity to cross-examine any witnesses the prosecution calls and to challenge evidence. The public hearing is an alternative to the impaneling of a criminal grand jury to consider whether a trial is justified, a secret proceeding in which the defense plays no role.

'Circumstantial' — the Scarlet C?

OTHER HEARINGS SCHEDULED

Girolami also scheduled hearings to decide whether to allow cameras in the courtroom during the preliminary hearing and to consider any defense motions regarding wire-tapped telephone calls between Peterson and his lawyers.
    ...snip

http://www.msnbc.com/news/900348.asp?0cv=CB10

©

Default I heard this tonight....

On the news, but I was about 30 miles from my computer, so thanks J_R for posting this.

I am wondering if this is just defense spin? I also heard that the prosecution wants the autopsy unsealed. So, that makes me think that the tape wrapped around Conner after he was born in the "coffin birth." It is also possible that Laci was cut in her stomach near the uterus, so maybe that is when Conner was also cut.

The above is just my opinion, right or wrong, but please leave it at FFJ.

Default DA wants autopsy results made public

Fetus had tape around neck
    Thursday, May 29, 2003 Posted: 9:48 PM EDT (0148 GMT)

MODESTO, California (CNN) -- On the heels of gruesome information leaked from the autopsy report on Laci Peterson's unborn child, the prosecutor in the case filed a motion Thursday seeking to unseal the reports on both the mother and child so that the media can report "accurate information."

Stanislaus County District Attorney James Brazelton said the people of California have the right to correct inaccurate information, suggesting the media reports on the autopsy are not.

"By releasing the autopsy reports, the court will allow the media to see what the actual facts are and then accurate information may be reported to mitigate recent adverse publicity," his motion read.

Brazelton earlier Thursday released a statement, saying he "cannot verify the accuracy of any media statements concerning the contents of the autopsy reports without violating the court's order."

He later decided to file the motion.

"It continues to be the view of the district attorney that the evidence in this case should be presented in court through testimony of witnesses and not selectively leaked to the news media by unknown persons whom the press will not identify," he said.

His motion will be heard June 6 in Superior Court in Modesto.
    ...snip

Kim Petersen, a spokeswoman for Laci's family, said Thursday was "a devastating day for them."

"It's been unbelievable to them that somebody would leak this information to the media when the judge asked that those autopsy results be sealed," Petersen said on CNN's "Larry King Live."

"You never want to hear these details released in front of the nation about someone you love and care about. And it has been very painful, very difficult."
    ...snip

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/05/29/pe...ase/index.html

©

Default Release of Peterson Autopsy Data Sought

SACRAMENTO, Calif. May 29 —
    Prosecutors in the Scott Peterson murder case filed a motion Thursday to unseal autopsy results after news reports surfaced that the body of Laci Peterson's infant son had a significant cut and plastic tape wrapped around his neck.

A source close to the case who requested anonymity confirmed information in the autopsy report to The Associated Press, but prosecutors responded later in the day by saying it was misleading.

"The information being leaked has clearly been skewed in favor of the defense," wrote Deputy Stanislaus County District Attorney David Harris. "By releasing the autopsy reports the court will allow the media to see what the actual facts are and then accurate information may be reported to mitigate recent adverse publicity."
    ...snip

In a statement, District Attorney James Brazelton decried the news reports, saying evidence should not be "selectively leaked to the news media by unknown persons whom the press will not identify."

"For this report to be leaked or released without court order is clearly irresponsible, if not illegal," Warren Rupf, Contra Costa County's sheriff and coroner, said in a statement late Thursday.
    ...snip

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20030529_2124.html

©

Post Modesto Bee article on Conner Peterson's autopsy

DA: Open autopsy reports

Published: May 30, 2003, 05:40:19 AM PDT

MORE ON THE PETERSON CASE
    ------------------------------

Prosecutors countered Thursday's leak of information about Conner Peterson's dead body by asking a judge to release the full autopsy reports on the baby boy and his mother, Laci.

Thursday night, an official with the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department confirmed that the leaked information came from Conner Peterson's autopsy report.

MSNBC reported Thursday morning that it had obtained a "a portion of the coroner's report on the autopsy on the fetus."

The document states that the fetus was found with 11/2 loops of plastic tape around its neck and had a significant cut on its torso, a cut inflicted after death, MSNBC reported.

The details could suggest that Conner died separately from his mother, who was eight months pregnant when family members reported her missing Christmas Eve from her Modesto home. Her husband, Scott, has been charged with two counts of murder.

"The information being leaked has clearly been skewed in favor of the defense," the Stanislaus County district attorney's office declared in a court filing within hours of the leak. "The people cannot see why the autopsy documents should not be released."

~~~Snip~~~

"The cat's out of the bag," Dr. Gregory Schmunk, Santa Clara County coroner, said of prosecutors' about-face.

Peterson, a 30-year-old fertilizer salesman, faces the death penalty if convicted. He has pleaded not guilty. Defense attorneys maintain that the killer or killers are still at large.

Schmunk told The Bee that the baby's autopsy report does not indicate that the tape was a "ligature," or cord used for binding or strangling, because there was a 2-centimeter space between the tape and the neck.

The cut in the baby's torso after death could easily have been inflicted by a boat propeller, Schmunk said. "That's the kind of thing we see on bodies in water, especially when they float to the surface," he said.

Brazelton, in a statement released Thursday, said prosecutors "cannot verify the accuracy of any media statements concerning the contents of the autopsy reports without violating the court's order."

~~~Snip~~~

"The people believe that releasing the autopsy reports will protect its client, namely the people of the state of California," Senior Deputy District Attorney Dave Harris wrote in Thursday's court filing.

"By releasing the autopsy reports, the court will allow the media to see what the actual facts are and then accurate information may be reported to mitigate recent adverse publicity."

Charity Kenyon, an attorney representing a coalition of newspaper organizations, including The Bee, argued during Tuesday's hearing that the public's right to view court documents was a fundamental component of a transparent legal system.

~~~Snip~~~

Girolami on May 15 ordered the autopsy reports and other key documents tentatively sealed, at the request of prosecution and defense attorneys, and the judge left that order in place at the Tuesday hearing. He had been scheduled to make a final decision on the sealing today.

Prosecutors now are asking to unseal the autopsy reports, but not arrest and search warrant documents.

Girolami said in court Tuesday that it was "very likely" that he would seal the documents. But Thursday, in response to prosecutors' request, he ordered a June 6 hearing on sealing or unsealing the autopsy reports.

During that proceeding, the judge also is scheduled to consider how to proceed on wiretaps that captured calls between Peterson and his defense team. He also is slated to consider imposing a gag order on attorneys and investigators.

Finding the leak

Prosecutors declared Thursday that they did not release a copy of Conner's autopsy report to the media and have "stringent controls" in place to keep such documents secret.

~~~Snip~~~

Police Chief Roy Wasden said he is trying to stanch any potential leaks from his department.

"If I knew, I would go after them," Wasden said. "I'm doing everything I can to find out if it's anything within the realm of my control."

The Contra Costa County coroner's office performed the autopsies last month after the bodies washed ashore on the east side of San Francisco Bay.

"We did not release that document," said Jimmy Lee, a spokesman for the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department.

Sheriff Warren Rupf said in a statement that leaking the document was "clearly irresponsible, if not illegal."

~~~Snip~~~

Brazelton did not hesitate when asked Thursday where he suspects the leak came from.

"The defense," Brazelton said. "That's the only thing I can figure. They don't seem to want to play by the same rules we do."

Defense attorney Mark Geragos vociferously denied that the leak came from the defense. He said prosecutors or police previously leaked information to the tabloid press before the defense was in possession of the material.

"What rules are they playing by? They leak, leak, leak for four months," Geragos said. "I can categorically point to five separate leaks on material that appeared in the tabloids that I did not even have because we were waiting for discovery."

Geragos declined to comment on what that material was, noting the judge's order sealing the documents.

But he said he was willing to seek testimony from the MSNBC journalist who first reported the autopsy details.

~~~Snip~~~

Geragos also said he is willing to take the stand in the matter.

Well, it may or may not be true about Conner being killed after Laci or it could be that a propeller cut him. It will be interesting to find out.

(I put some bolding and italics in the article to highlight what I thought was important)

Post I forgot to post....

The url to the Modesto Bee article. Sorry, here it is.

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/68...-7809995c.html