Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Abducted girl found safe

Abducted girl found safe
    Kidnapping had been caught on videotape
    Monday, June 9, 2003 Posted: 7:47 AM EDT (1147 GMT)

SAN JOSE, California (CNN) -- Nine-year-old (NAME REDACTED), abducted from her home in San Jose on Friday, was found alive late Sunday evening when she walked into an East Palo Alto convenience store, police and the store said.

"The girl is safe," San Jose Police Chief William Lansdowne said. Authorities are still looking for the man they believe abducted her.

Isa Yasin, owner of the Eastside Market, called police after he realized the girl who had come into his store was the missing youngster.

"She was crying, scared, and I asked, 'How can I help you?'" Yasin said.

"She said, 'Please don't call the cops, please don't call the cops,'" he said. "I said, 'OK, I promise you I won't call the cops. Let me help you.'"

Yasin said that when she asked to use his phone she was "panicky" and couldn't dial the phone, so he helped her dial a San Jose-area number.

He said after asking her several questions he realized she was the missing girl and he called the police. Yasin said he saw no one drop (NAME REDACTED) off near his store and he did not discuss her ordeal with her.

East Palo Alto and San Jose police have said little about the case since (NAME REDACTED), was found.

A security video taken from a house down the street from where girl was abducted Friday afternoon suggested the girl was targeted and that the crime was not a burglary gone awry, police said Sunday.

"When he drove there, he went up to the house, spent 12, 13 minutes in the house when no one was home," Sgt. Steve Dixon of the San Jose Police Department told CNN. "If it was just a burglary, he had the time to do it at that time. But he walked out, sat in his car for 20, 30 minutes, waited a long time.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/06/0...ion/index.html
    Last edited by Moab; June 10, 2003, 7:19 am at Tue Jun 10 7:19:12 UTC 2003.
    It's probably too late to get justice for JonBenét. Maybe it always was. But knowing where things went wrong is the first step to not going there again. **-- Alan Prendergast-Dec 21, 2006--**

Default Found safe!

Thanks for posting this Moab. Now let's hope they nab the guy!
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

©

Default 'Potential' San Jose Kidnap Suspect in Custody

Monday, June 09, 2003

SAN JOSE, Calif. — A man who closely resembles a sketch of the person suspected of kidnapping a 9-year-old girl from her home was in the custody of San Jose police Monday morning.

Detectives arrested a "potential" suspect in the abduction of (NAME REDACTED), who was found at a convenience store less than 30 miles away from her house Sunday, two days after she was taken.

The man, who was not identified, was taken into custody around 8:30 a.m. Monday after police served a search warrant on his San Jose home, Police Chief William Lansdowne said.

(NAME REDACTED) was taken from her home Friday afternoon by a man who staked out her house and waited for her to arrive home from school. Before he left with her, (NAME REDACTED)'s mother and teenage brother encountered the man, who beat them before he sped away.

The girl appeared at the store in East Palo Alto Sunday night, San Jose police said, although it was unclear how she got there.

"We're not sure if she was able to escape or if she was dropped off at this location," Lansdowne said earlier at a news conference Monday morning.

Reunited with relatives, (NAME REDACTED) was in good spirits, and was providing investigators with valuable information about her ordeal, Lansdowne said. She was healthy and had not suffered major physical injuries, he said.
    ...snip

Deputy Chief Rob Davis said investigators are focusing on one suspect, who police believe was unknown to the family. Davis offered several reasons why police believe the abduction was not a random crime, including that the man twice told (NAME REDACTED)'s mother "you know what I want" as he attacked her in her home before leaving with (NAME REDACTED).

Davis refused to discuss further details about the man, except to say that neither (NAME REDACTED)'s father nor stepfather were suspects.

Police interviewed the father, Pablo Velasquez, who told the San Jose Mercury News he had not seen (NAME REDACTED), for two years because of a child support dispute.

"That guy has hurt me," Velasquez said. "That's my only daughter and I love her very much."

Investigators believe (NAME REDACTED) remained in the San Francisco Bay area during her abduction, although police would not give further details.
    ...snip

While the attack isn't visible on the surveillance tape, sounds of the altercation can be heard and Rosalie Tamayo was seen running inside the house to help her son. Police said the suspect confronted her between the kitchen and garage, and beat her with pans and a ladder.

By now the boy had broken free, and ran outside for help. His mother came out moments later, beaten and bloodied but screaming for help as well. The suspect then pulled out of the driveway with (NAME REDACTED), inside in his car and sped across the lawn, crushing rose bushes along the way.

Rosalie Tamayo and her son were treated at a hospital and released.

San Jose Police spokesman Steve Dixon said that while the images on the black-and-white tape were not always clear, the tape showed the attack was not a random burglary. Officials were trying to enhance the tape.

"The tape makes it very clear the he was targeting this house," Dixon said. "He wasn't roaming the neighborhood looking for houses to break into. He was there for quite some time, just waiting for this little girl to come home."

Residents poured into the streets Sunday night to celebrate.
    ...snip

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88878,00.html
    Last edited by Moab; June 10, 2003, 7:23 am at Tue Jun 10 7:23:19 UTC 2003.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

©

Default San Jose police arrest 'potential suspect' in girl's abduction

Posted on Mon, Jun. 09, 2003

MAY WONG
    Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Police arrested a "potential suspect" in the abduction of 9-year-old (NAME REDACTED)on Monday just 10 hours after the shaken girl walked into a convenience store less than 30 miles from the San Jose home where she was kidnapped.

The man, who police did not immediately identify, was taken into custody around 8:30 a.m. after police served a search warrant on a San Jose home where he was staying with a friend, Chief William Lansdowne said.

The home was less than a mile from where an intruder brazenly kidnapped Tamayo on Friday after savagely beating her mother and brother.

On Monday morning, the man tried to fight off officers and was taken to the hospital after a police dog bit him, Sgt. Steve Dixon said. Police offered no further details on the arrest, other than to say the man looked like a police sketch of the suspect.

Tamayo suddenly appeared at the store in East Palo Alto late Sunday night "crying and scared," according to police and the store owner. Details of how she got there were unclear.

"We're not sure if she was able to escape or if she was dropped off at this location," Lansdowne said before Monday's arrest.

Reunited with her mother and other family members, (NAME REDACTED)was in good spirits, and provided investigators with valuable information, Lansdowne said.

The girl was healthy when she was found, and had not suffered major physical injuries, Lansdowne said. Police would not say if she had been sexually assaulted.

Investigators believe (NAME REDACTED) remained in the San Francisco Bay area during her abduction, although police declined to provide further details about the girl's time in captivity.
    ...snip

Davis refused to discuss further details about the man, except to say that neither (NAME REDACTED)'s father nor stepfather are considered suspects. Police did interview the father, Pablo Velasquez, who told the San Jose Mercury News he had not seen (NAME REDACTED) for two years because of a child support dispute with the mother.
    ...snip

The girl's ordeal ended about 10:30 p.m. Sunday, when she walked into the Eastside Market in East Palo Alto, said Isa Yasin, the owner of the shop, which is an area of both homes and businesses. Yasin said he did not see anyone drop off the girl.

"She was crying and scared," Yasin said.

After talking briefly with the girl, Yasin realized her identity and called police.

In (NAME REDACTED)'s neighborhood, residents poured into the streets to hug and celebrate as news of her rescue spread.

"It was just like a Hollywood script," said neighbor Karen Kamfolt. "People came from all directions out of their houses."

For (NAME REDACTED)'s family, friends and neighbors, the happy ending capped a horrifying weekend that began when the girl was taken from her home as unknowing neighbors shot baskets just a few houses away.

Much of the shocking crime was captured in a grainy videotape produced by surveillance cameras mounted on a neighbor's home.

Condensed by police into a 25-minute reel and released to the media Sunday, the tape presented a step-by-step account of the crime, from the kidnapper's wait in his car outside (NAME REDACTED)'s house to the audible screams of (NAME REDACTED)'s mother as the girl was taken away.
    ...snip

Police released a sketch of the kidnapper. They described him as being in his 30s to early 40s, from 5-feet-2 to 5-feet-5-inches tall, weighing about 160 pounds. He was dark haired, unshaven, and wore a gray beanie and silver colored shirt. He may have scratches on his face or arms from a struggle with (NAME REDACTED)'s mother.

The abduction shook residents of (NAME REDACTED)'s quiet middle-class neighborhood.

"I'm sure kids will be watched a lot closer than they have been," said Kamfolt, the neighbor whose surveillance cameras caught the kidnapping.

But residents also said the area will bounce back, given (NAME REDACTED)'s safe return. Reed McInroy, who lives a few houses down the street from the Tamayo family, said a block party is scheduled for early next month.

"I guarantee you it's going to be the biggest block party you ever saw," McInroy said.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercuryne...al/6044782.htm
    Last edited by Moab; June 10, 2003, 9:57 am at Tue Jun 10 9:57:25 UTC 2003.

©

Default Man arrested in California kidnapping

Monday, June 9, 2003 Posted: 12:43 PM EDT (1643 GMT)

SAN JOSE, California (CNN) -- Investigators arrested a man who they say may be a suspect in the kidnapping of 9-year-old (NAME REDACTED) from her San Jose home, police said Monday.

She was taken Friday afternoon after returning home from school, and resurfaced late Sunday when she walked into a convenience store 30 miles away.

San Jose Police Sgt. Steve Dixon said officers arrested the man, described as "just a potential suspect," in a residence just two blocks from Tamayo's home.

"The area where we stopped this fellow is very close to where the kidnapping took place," Dixon said. "He does fit the description so we're thinking he might be the suspect."

"We don't know who he is," Dixon said. "We're still trying to identify him. Again, I want people to understand it's just a potential suspect. We don't know that we have the suspect in custody."
    ...snip

Deputy Chief Rob Davis, who leads the investigation, said that (NAME REDACTED)had been helpful, giving "us some detail as far as where she went" and "some very good leads." "She's one courageous lady," Davis told CNN's "American Morning."

Davis said that information collected so far lends credence to the theory "that it went beyond just a random act," although he said the abductor was apparently a stranger to the girl and her mother.

"We're pretty comfortable we're just looking for this one individual," Davis said.
    ...snip

Last edited by Moab; June 9, 2003, 8:03 pm at Mon Jun 9 20:03:43 UTC 2003.

©

Default Suspect in Custody

June 9— Police today arrested a suspect in the kidnapping of the 9-year-old girl who was snatched from her San Jose, Calif., home in a violent abduction caught on tape, authorities said.

The man fits the description given by the kidnapped girl, (NAME REDACTED), and her mother and brother, who fought with the kidnapper, San Jose police Chief William Lansdowne said. The suspect also has injuries that match those that the girl's mother said she inflicted on the kidnapper, he said.

The chief investigator in the case said that the suspect was related to some of the kidnapped girl's friends, but declined to go into further detail. (emphasis mine)

The news came just hours after investigators spoke with guarded confidence about the progress of the manhunt for the kidnapper.

They would not say whether they had a name for the suspect, but said they had a solid description from the victim and her mother and brother, who both struggled with the man.

From the girl's account, police also believe they know where she was taken during her two-day ordeal, but Deputy Chief Rob Davis refused to elaborate.

(NAME REDACTED), , who was the subject of a statewide Amber Alert after she was kidnapped from her San Jose home on Friday, walked into an East Palo Alto convenience store Sunday night and told the store owner that she was in trouble. After talking to the girl for a few moments, he realized who she was and called police.
    ...snip

Glimpse of an Accomplice?
    (NAME REDACTED) was abducted Friday after she returned home from school. The grainy black and white video shows the suspect lying in wait for the little girl for nearly two hours.

"The tape makes it very clear the he was targeting this house," Dixon said. "He wasn't roaming the neighborhood looking for houses to break into. He was there for quite some time, just waiting for this little girl to come home."

Before the girl arrived home, he pulled up his car in front of the house and went inside. Police believe he may have slipped in through a broken window at the rear of the house.

Then, after about 25 minutes inside the house, the suspect is seen returning to his car.

At one point another car drives past, then backs up and lingers next to the suspect's car. Police said they were looking for the driver of that car but, would not speculate on whether the driver might have been an accomplice.

"We know that that car was pulled up alongside the suspect's vehicle for about 12 seconds," Davis said. "We don't know if somebody was asking for directions or what the issue is, but we have enough leads where we feel we can find out what happened as a result of that connection."

Shortly thereafter, at approximately 4:20 p.m.,(NAME REDACTED), arrived home.
    ...snip

Neighbors in the middle class neighborhood were stunned about what happened on their quiet street. Malavuy Kumar was seen on the videotape playing basketball with his son as the suspect sat in his car nearby.

"It's very, very scary for our neighborhood," Kumar said. "It's a quiet neighborhood."

Neighborhood children are scared, too.

"You see these things on TV far away but you never think they would happen like close to home," said Michael Barife, a boy who lives in the neighborhood. "It's like too close to my comfort."
    ...snip
    Last edited by Moab; June 10, 2003, 5:27 pm at Tue Jun 10 17:27:18 UTC 2003.

©

Default Police: Right person arrested in kidnapping

Monday, June 9, 2003 Posted: 1:47 PM EDT (1747 GMT)

SAN JOSE, California (CNN) -- Police said Monday they were confident that a man arrested in the kidnapping of 9-year-old (NAME REDACTED) from her San Jose home was the right person.
    ...snip

San Jose Police Chief William Lansdowne said the arrested man "did have the vehicle we were looking for. He matches the description. And the physical injuries that he has on his person match the circumstances of this situation. We are very confident it's the right person. We do not have the identification on that person yet."

Deputy Police Chief Rob Davis, who leads the investigation, said the arrested man was not cooperating with authorities.

A videotape of the abduction on Friday taken by a security camera near the girl's home is helping in the search, according to police.

(NAME REDACTED)was found alive and well Sunday evening when she walked into an East Palo Alto convenience store, whose owner contacted authorities, police said.

"She is healthy, certainly confused a little but does not appear at this time to have been severely injured," Lansdowne said.

Davis said that (NAME REDACTED) had been helpful, giving "us some detail as far as where she went" and "some very good leads." "She's one courageous lady," Davis told CNN's "American Morning."

Davis said that information collected so far lends credence to the theory "that it went beyond just a random act," although he said the abductor was apparently a stranger to the girl and her mother.

"We're pretty comfortable we're just looking for this one individual," Davis said.
    ...snip

Last edited by Moab; June 9, 2003, 8:05 pm at Mon Jun 9 20:05:50 UTC 2003.

©

Default 'We're Very Confident This Is the Right Person'

Monday, June 09, 2003

SAN JOSE, Calif. — San Jose police on Monday arrested a suspect in the kidnapping of a 9-year-old girl, who was returned to her family after showing up at a convenience store Sunday night.

Police said the man in custody resembles a police sketch of the kidnapper, who brutally beat (NAME REDACTED)'s mother and brother Friday before taking off with the girl in his car.

The man, who was not identified, was taken into custody around 8:30 a.m. Monday after police served a search warrant on a San Jose home where he was staying with a friend, Police Chief William Lansdowne said.

The home was less than a mile from the Tamayo residence. Police said they believe the man knew of the girl through one of her acquaintances -- though neither (NAME REDACTED) nor her family knew him.

The man tried to fight off officers and was taken to the hospital after a police dog bit him, Sgt. Steve Dixon said.

The man looked like the sketch of the suspect and had injuries consistent with what police expected from the struggle he had with (NAME REDACTED)'s mother, Lansdowne said.

"We're very confident this is the right person," Lansdowne said.

The girl's mother, her face still puffy from Friday's attack, thanked authorities, the media and her neighbors as she choked back tears.

"I want to tell all mothers not to let your kids walk alone on the street, no matter how secure it is," Rosalie Tamayo said in Spanish. "Because when you feel you loose a child, I think it is like the feeling of dying."
    ...snip

Reunited with her mother and other relatives,(NAME REDACTED)was in good spirits -- and because she remained alert during the ordeal, provided investigators with information leading to the arrest, Lansdowne said.

She was healthy and did not suffer major physical injuries, Lansdowne said.

Investigators believe (NAME REDACTED), remained in the San Francisco Bay area during her abduction, although police declined to provide further details about the girl's time in captivity.
    ...snip

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88878,00.html
    Last edited by Moab; June 10, 2003, 5:24 pm at Tue Jun 10 17:24:54 UTC 2003.

©

Default Interesting

They arrested this guy in a friend's house not too far from the girl's in South San Jose, yet she wanders into a convenience store in East Palo Alto? That's not exactly walking distance... ~ 15-20 miles. Should be interesting to see how this turns out.

I'm just glad she's home safe!

Ayeka
    The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    -- Eden Phillpotts

Default S.J. police provide details of end of kidnap ordeal

Posted on Mon, Jun. 09, 2003

By Rod Foo
    Mercury News

San Jose police this morning gave some details about the ending of the kidnapping ordeal of (NAME REDACTED).

(NAME REDACTED) entered the East Palo Alto store, met a man working there, and said, in effect, ``I'm scared. I need to call my mom to help me. Please don't call the police,'' said Deputy Chief Rob Davis, who oversees the bureau of investigations.

Police believe that she expressly asked he not contact police because she feared reprisals against her or her family, Davis said.

The man gave her a cell phone and watched her fumble with it as she tried to dial a 408 Area Code number. He offered to help her dial, asked how old she was, and then deduce she was the missing San Jose girl who police were searching for since her abduction Friday.

At that point, he dialed 911.

``What he did,'' Davis said, ``was just perfect.''

East Palo Alto police took her to their headquarters and notified San Jose police at 10:30 p.m. Sunday that (NAME REDACTED)had been found. Units were sent to East Palo Alto to fetch her and return her to San Jose police headquarters.

Police Chief Bill Lansdowne said she had no visible injuries and apparently did not suffer any major injuries.
    ...snip

At the time of her abduction, she had shouted to her mother and brother, ``He's going to kill me! He's going to kill me,'' Davis said.

Police, however, would not elaborate on the girl's ordeal or what she did while being held by her capture.

Davis said the girl never left the region, but declined to elaborate.

However, she has provided police with clues and details.

``She is very bright; very articulate young lady of 9 years old; very good memory; lots of information,'' the chief said. ``We're not giving out details, but we're very confident the information she's given us will lead us very quickly to the suspect.''
    ...snip

Investigators were working under the assumption that she had been dropped off in East Palo Alto, Davis said.

The girl was reunited with her parents and were whisked to an undisclosed location where they could ``have a little time to discuss some of the horrific facts involving this case,'' Lansdowne said.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/6048460.htm
    Last edited by Moab; June 10, 2003, 5:25 pm at Tue Jun 10 17:25:41 UTC 2003.

©

Default Rosalie Tamayo speaks to reporters

The girl's mother, her face still puffy from Friday's attack, thanked authorities, the media and her neighbors as she choked back tears.

"I want to tell all mothers not to let your kids walk alone on the street, no matter how secure it is," Roselia Tamayo said in Spanish. "Because when you feel you lose a child, I think it is like the feeling of dying."

http://www.foxnews.com

Monday: Rosalie Tamayo speaks to reporters about her daughter's ordeal.
    Last edited by Moab; June 10, 2003, 5:26 pm at Tue Jun 10 17:26:24 UTC 2003.

©

Default San Jose Kidnap Suspect in Custody

Monday, June 09, 2003

SAN JOSE, Calif. — San Jose police on Monday arrested a suspect in the kidnapping of a 9-year-old girl, who was returned to her family after showing up at a convenience store Sunday night.

Police said the suspect identified himself as David Montiel Cruz, which may be an alias. He resembles a police sketch of the kidnapper, who brutally beat (NAME REDACTED)'s mother and brother Friday before taking off with the girl in his car.

Cruz was arrested around 8:30 a.m. Monday after police served a search warrant on a San Jose home where he was staying with a friend, Police Chief William Lansdowne said. The suspect is expected to be formally charged sometime Monday night for kidnapping, felony assault and sexual assault, Fox News has learned.

The home where Cruz was staying was less than a mile from the Tamayo residence. Police said Monday they believe the suspect knew of the fourth-grade girl through one of her former schoolmates -- though neither (NAME REDACTED)nor her family knew him.

Cruz tried to fight off officers and was taken to the hospital after a police dog bit him, Sgt. Steve Dixon said.

He looked like a police sketch of the suspect and had injuries consistent with what police expected from the struggle he had with (NAME REDACTED)'s mother, Lansdowne said.

"We're very confident this is the right person," Lansdowne said.

The arrest came just eight hours after the girl turned up safe. Police said she was probably dropped off at the convenience store by her captor, who may have been frightened by the attention the case received.
    ...snip

(NAME REDACTED)'s ordeal ended about 10:30 p.m. Sunday, when she walked into the Eastside Market in East Palo Alto, said Isa Yasin, the owner of the shop. "She was crying and scared," said Yasin.

Reunited with her mother and other relatives, (NAME REDACTED) was in good spirits -- and because she remained alert during the ordeal, provided investigators with information leading to the arrest, Lansdowne said.

She was healthy and did not suffer major physical injuries, Lansdowne said. Investigators were trying to determine if she had been sexually assaulted.

Investigators believe (NAME REDACTED) remained in the San Francisco Bay area during her abduction, although police declined to provide further details about the girl's time in captivity.
    ...snip

The man told (NAME REDACTED) not to call police, so she first tried to call her mother, though she was too shaken to dial the number, Davis said.
    ...snip

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88878,00.html
    Last edited by Moab; June 9, 2003, 8:10 pm at Mon Jun 9 20:10:19 UTC 2003.

©