DA's office hires Ramsey investigator

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Moab, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Retired Arvada detective will work 20-30 hours a week
    By Christine Reid, Camera Staff Writer
    June 10, 2003

Boulder County's new investigator on the JonBenet Ramsey homicide isn't sure the killing can be solved but says he's going to try.
    Tom Bennett, a 55-year-old retired investigator from Arvada, will begin working the case 20 to 30 hours a week starting June 23, District Attorney Mary Keenan announced Monday.

"He has an extensive background on homicide cases ... and is very well regarded as an investigator," Keenan said. "We're pretty excited about it."
    The move marks the most significant commitment of resources dedicated to the aging case since Keenan was elected in 2000 and took over the investigation earlier this year.
    {snip}

In addition, Lou Smit, a retired Colorado Springs detective who worked on the case for former District Attorney Alex Hunter, has volunteered a day and a half of his time a week since Keenan's office took over.

But Keenan said she wanted more time spent on the case.

"We came to the point we have to make current cases a priority and we also want to give our best to this case," she said.
    {snip}

He said Boulder County Assistant District Attorney Bill Nagel first approached him in April about taking on the JonBenet case, but Bennett turned him down because he was overcommitted with other projects. Nagel called again, and the two met for a chat.

"I was very flattered," Bennett said.
    After discussing the job with his wife, Bennett said he accepted it knowing it will not be easy.

"I honestly don't know if can be solved. ... I don't have the particulars of the case," he said. "I sure hope my training and my experience prove beneficial to the case. That's my sincere hope."
    {snip}

During Bennett's two decades as an investigator in Arvada, he worked close to 2,000 cases. About 25 of them were homicides, all of which were solved.
    "Tom is far and away the best, most complete and reliable and sophisticated detective I've ever worked with," Arvada Police Chief Ronald Sloan said of Bennett.

In late April, Keenan ended her silence on the Ramsey case when she supported an Atlanta federal civil court ruling that pointed to the theory an intruder killed the girl..

"The primary direction we're giving (Bennett) is to use his experience to guide him," Keenan said. "If he feels the investigation should go in a direction we haven't, we're going to defer to his opinion."

The Ramseys' attorney, L. Lin Wood, praised Keenan's decision.

"The evidence of the intruder theory hasn't been exhaustively investigated," he said. "That represents the reality of the status of investigation, not a bias."
    {snip}
    Contact Christine Reid at (303) 473-1355 or reidc@thedailycamera.com

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/city_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2422_2025862,00.html

2. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

The Lifetime Achievement Award is given to Colorado robbery investigators who have retired after devoting a majority of their distinguished law enforcement careers to battling armed robbery.

Tom Bennet was the 2001 recipient of this award.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I don't know whether this is good or not…does it mean he was exceptional, or does everyone get this award when they retire?

Personally, I would love to give this man the benefit of the doubt, and I will, but the beginning has shades of deja vous ("…after discussing this job with my wife…") didn't Loosemit say pretty much the same thing? And of course the name Bennet scares me off a little too…hopefully they are not related! And hopefully he won't pray with Smitty either, or be swayed by his tunnel-vision.

The one thing Mr. Bennet says is " "I honestly don't know if can be solved. ... I don't have the particulars of the case," he said. "I sure hope my training and my experience prove beneficial to the case. That's my sincere hope.". That is probably the best thing to give credence to him being hired…at least he is not going in this with a lot of preconceptions…which I find admirable!

Time will tell…and I certainly, at this point anyhow, support his efforts…but I do have to wonder what set a fire under Keenan's tushie? Any guesses? Wonder if she is being inundated with emails, or perhaps she has seen the petition (which now has 418 signatures)…Hmmm…wonder what it was??? Not knowing though, I am hopeful it is not a token gesture by her…oh…I got it…maybe she has just received so much negative press about siding with the Carnes ruling that she is trying to save face…ya think?

3. Ayeka

Ayeka Member

Interesting

I think I will remain "cautiously optimistic"... If the guy can truly bring fresh eyes and a clear, rational mind to this, and has free reign to follow the evidence, he might actually get somewhere.

Ayeka

4. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Bennett? His name is Bennett??

Will the weird coincidences in this case never cease?

5. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Yes his name is Miss Susan Bennett.

6. Adrian Monk

Adrian Monk Member

If fully investigating 60+ named suspected "intruders" (including the notorious McSanta), and coming up dry of anything except Lou Smit's senile dementia, is not "exhaustive", then nothing ever will be for Woodie. The only persons who haven't been fully chased down are the "one-armed man" and the grassy-knoll shooter in Dallas.

7. BobC

Lou Smit's had seven frikkin years, and so have the Ramseys other investigators. Sounds like this is all just "busy work" and Keenan allows it to happen.

8. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

9. dior

dior Member

anyone know if its true that keenan has also hired john douglas? thanks, dior
    I AINT MAME FOLKS

10. dior

dior Member

thor just comfirmed this is true. its pathetic! the case might as well be dead meat. will anyone who isnt pro-ram ever investigate this case?
    I AINT MAME FOLKS

11. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Well

He has been on the job for an hour or two by now, what's taking sooooo long? Geesh! Just arrest them both, at this point, one is no more innocent than the other.

RR

12. Ginja

Ginja Member

Arrest them!

What I'm reeling over is the fact that fibers from the jacket worn that night are all over the body and crime scene!

That alone is enough to arrest on suspicion of murder. Make the arrest and then see if she gives it up!

Oh wait...that's what the Boulder Police wanted to do back in January, 1997.

Unfreakinbelievable!

It says Bennett's been involved in what? 20+ homicides?

Then he should recognize culpable evidence when he sees it, right?

Let's see how he 'treats' that fiber evidence!

13. BobC

Maybe McSanta borrowed Patsy's Christmas vest. You know, like Prescilla White did after she drugged everyone at her Christmas party. That vest gets around!

14. Adrian Monk

Adrian Monk Member

The Pineapple Ninja is supposed to have scouted out what Patsy wore at Fleet White's party, then snuck into her bedroom to take her clothes and rub them all over the murder weapon, the body, and the paint tray where the ligature's handle was taken. That Pineapple Ninja is one sneaky dude.

He also knew the dog wouldn't be home, and he hacked into the bank's computer to find out the dollar amount of JR's bonus (which was wired to his account)... because he's just that good.

And he took time out from his busy killing schedule, to feed pineapple to his victim, AND HENCE his name.

Lou Smit should submit to a drug test, immediately. I suspect he's on 'shrooms.

15. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Adrian Monk wrote:
    Lou Smit should submit to a drug test, immediately. I suspect he's on 'shrooms.

LOL Now that would explain everything.

16. Shadow

Shadow FFJ Senior Content Moderator

Oh, I'm now very reassured that the death of JBR will solved!!

We have a religious nut ex-detective who likes to drop on his knees, pray with, and then clear "Christian" suspects. We have a DA more concerned with being sued than solving the case. And, the best, of course is we have Manhunter hisself - hasn't solved a crime in 15 years. Based on his previous predictions, I'm guessing that his major suspect will be a man between the ages of 16 and 75, who is unemployed, drives a very old white panel truck, and lives with his widowed mother.

17. BobC

From what i understand the Rs needed a "name" ex-FBI guy to add an illusion of propriety to what's going on here, and the only one who'd do it was old JD.

"If it look like a ho, if it talk like a ho, if it SMELL like a ho, then it A HO, BABY!"

--Mean but honest black lady on Jerry Springer this afternoon

18. Adrian Monk

Adrian Monk Member

Springer's an extremely appropriate reference for describing the RST.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice