Default Missing Colorado Toddler's Clothing Found Three Years Later

Tuesday, June 10, 2003

LITTLETON, Colo. Allyn Atadero is struggling to make sense of the news that hikers found clothing his 3-year-old son was wearing when he disappeared on an outing in the mountains 3 years ago.

"It creates a lot of questions I can't answer," Atadero said Monday at his Littleton home. "Everyone is baffled. Everyone is trying to figure it out."

Hikers found Jaryd Atadero's jacket, pants and shoes on Thursday near the trail where he vanished on Oct. 2, 1999. He had gone hiking west of Fort Collins that day with family and friends.

Larimer County sheriff's deputies told Allyn Atadero of the discovery on Friday and e-mailed him photos of the clothing.

"All I want to know is where my baby is and what happened to him," he said. "At least this is something actual and tangible toward a solution."
    ...snip

"They said a mountain lion would go for the throat and the torso," he said. "And there doesn't seem to be any blood visible, if he was attacked."
    ...snip

"This shuts off the theory he fell into the river and drowned," Atadero said.
    ...snip

Investigators found nothing more when they searched the area. Atadero said he probably will wait until the weekend to visit the site.

He said he took the weekend to digest the news before granting interviews. He hopes the renewed press coverage will help find his son.

"Jaryd may be right under our noses. I'll look as long as I have a reason to look."

Jayrd Atadero
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

Default Mountain Lion May Have Attacked Co. Boy

Evidence Suggests Missing Colorado Toddler Attacked by Mountain Lion

The Associated Press

FORT COLLINS, Colo. June 11
    A toddler missing for 3 1/2 years whose tattered clothes were discovered last week was probably attacked by a mountain lion, authorities said.

Three-year-old Jaryd Atadero vanished on Oct. 2, 1999 while on a hiking trip with a church group. He had been running ahead so he could find hiding places and say "Boo!"

Jaryd's fleece pullover, tattered pants and shoes were found last Thursday in the Comanche Peak Wilderness Area, several hundred feet above the trail where he disappeared, Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden said Tuesday.
    ...snip

No remains have been found, but Alderden said search teams will return to the site Saturday. He also said officials will test two hairs found on the clothing to determine their origin.

The boy's father, Allyn Atadero, said he was not yet certain Jaryd was dead.

"The clothes don't tell me what happened. All we can do is speculate," he said. "I would give anything to hold any part of Jaryd right now."

The sheriff said the case appears to be consistent with an attack by a mountain lion, but said authorities may never learn what happened.

"I'm not optimistic that we will find anything conclusive," he said.
    ...snip

Forensics expert Jack Swanburg said it's not unusual to find clothes without a body in the wilderness because of scavenger animals.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20030611_361.html

Allyn Atadero, right, hangs his head as he listens to Sheriff Maj. Bill Nelson talk about Allyn's missing son, Jaryd, during a news conference at the Larimer County Sheriff's Department in Fort Collins, Colo., on Tuesday, June 10, 2003. The 3-year-old Jaryd disappeared while hiking with a church group Oct. 2, 1999. Hikers found the youngster's clothes, pictured in the background, last Thursday near where the boy went missing. (AP Photo/Ed Andrieski)

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

My apologies. I just realized I failed to post the link to the first article. Here it is:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,89022,00.html

Unhappy Remains believed to be missing toddlers.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...039693,00.html

FORT COLLINS - Searchers found the remains of what appear to be a small boy Saturday near where the clothes of a toddler missing for four years were found 10 days ago.

"The top of a skull and a small tooth were discovered approximately 150 feet from where the clothing was found by the hikers on June 4," said Eloise Campanella, spokeswoman for the Larimer County Sheriff's Office.

The county coroner was examining the remains to try to determine if they are those of Jaryd Atadero. Officials earlier said the boy may have been dragged up a hillside by a mountain lion.

A special cadaver recovery team found the remains. The team, accompanied by the boy's father, Allyn Atadero, had climbed the steep search area Saturday morning.

~~~Snip~~~

On Friday, Atadero said he didn't want to dwell on the actions of the church group. "It's about my son. Jaryd has vanished and I want to find him. It's not about how mad I am," he said.

~~~Snip~~~

On June 5, two hikers who wandered off a trail stumbled upon the toddler's clothing _ a fleece pullover, tattered sweat pants, and tiny athletic shoes _ in the Comanche Peak Wilderness area. The clothing was found several hundred feet above the trail where the boy vanished while playing peek-a-boo as he hiked ahead of the church group.

Sheriff's officials, who have come under fire recently for not previously searching on foot in the area where Jaryd's clothing was found, contend the boy could not have climbed the slope alone. Campanella said adult investigators had to "scramble up the slope on all fours" to recover the rest of the boy's clothing.

The above is just my opinion, right or wrong, but please leave it at FFJ.

Default Rescuers find remains believed to be missing boy

Sunday, June 15, 2003 Posted: 12:45 AM EDT (0445 GMT)

FORT COLLINS, Colorado (AP) -- Searchers found what appeared to be the remains of a small child Saturday, about 150 feet from a hiking trail where the tattered clothes of a boy missing since 1999 were recently discovered.

The county coroner was examining the remains to determine whether they belong to Jaryd Atadero, who was 3 years old when he vanished while hiking in the area with a church group. Officials have said the boy may have been dragged up a hillside by a mountain lion.

The boy's father, Allyn Atadero, said part of a skull had been found underneath a log and a molar was atop the log.

"I can go home now, look up to the heavens and be excited that my son is there," Atadero told KMGH-TV, "instead of looking up to the heavens and questioning where he is."

Atadero accompanied searchers in the steep foothills of the Comanche Peak Wilderness, about 74 miles northwest of Denver.
    ...snip

Sheriff's officials, who have come under fire recently for not previously searching on foot in the area where Jaryd's clothing was found, contend the boy could not have climbed the slope alone.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Central/0....ap/index.html