Ramseys Making a Deal?

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by LurkerXIV, Jul 12, 2003.

1. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Found this on Court-TV Board:

The fact (as stated by Lin Wood) that Patsy and John Ramsey met for four hours with Boulder DA Mary Keenan recently lends weight to Ross's theory that a plea bargain is in the works in this case.

Excerpt: (fo educational and discussion purposes only)--

The Deal to Solve the Mystery

There are four components to one possible deal.

First, assuming that the fiber evidence shows what prosecutors privately claimed it shows, that the other evidence cited by Det. Thomas and available from other sources stands up to scrutiny, and that a special prosecutor reviewing the evidence finds it is sufficient to support cover-up charges, John and Patsy Ramsey, in order to avoid a trial, would need to plead guilty to a felony count of tampering with evidence. If the prosecutor has sufficient evidence to charge the Ramseys with a felony and multiple misdemeanor "false statement" counts, that would give the prosecutor considerable leverage. Just three misdemeanor and a felony charges would mean the Ramseys would face several years in prison if convicted. The prosecutor could also dangle a willingness to recommend light sentences.

Second, the prosecutor could insist that the Ramseys compensate Boulder County for the resources its officials diverted into trying to unravel their cover-up. The Ramseys would be amenable to such a payment if the amount the prosecutor seeks is less than what the Ramseys' attorneys and experts would charge them to defend them against criminal charges.

Third, and most importantly, the prosecutor would need to get the most elusive prize of all: the truth. John and Patsy should be required to drop the cover-up, and explain what they know about what happened — all of what they know — under oath and penalty of perjury, with the transcript of their testimony put into the public record.

Why would the Ramseys be willing to drop the cover-up after sticking to it the past six years? They would, of course, be tempted by the prospect of avoiding a trial on felony charges and, if they're convicted, spending years in prison. But the key to get them to talk is to give them the one thing they crave as much as the public craves the truth: the assurance their family (what's left of it) will not be ripped apart, no matter the truth.

Here's one way to cinch the deal: Allow the Ramseys to keep within the family the secret of what caused the accident that resulted in their daughter's death, as long as they acknowledge the cover-up. The whole truth would be better. A big chunk of the truth would be better than what we are stuck with today: an eternal mystery, the lingering suspicion there's a child murderer on the loose, and an investigation that's going nowhere.

So a deal that is there to be made — a deal that would resolve the case — is this: a guilty plea by each parent to a felony count of evidence tampering, a recommendation for leniency, and the truth of what happened that night (or as much of it as prosecutors can get), in return for no or short prison terms and the right to keep what's left of the family together -- no matter what happened that night.

Editor's Note: If you want to encourage Colorado Gov. Owens to appoint a special prosecutor to get to the bottom of the mystery of JonBenet's killing, call 303-866-2471 or email him here: governorowens@state.co.us. To sign a petition requesting that the governor appoint a special prosecutor, click here.

Up to now, I had only read a few quotes from the Ross article. This makes a lot of sense to me, and explains the new media flurry, with Lin Wood once again shopping Ramsey innocence to the public via the talk shows. What exactly did go on during that 4 hr. meeting with Keenan (which Lin purports he did not attend. He says he merely stayed for the introductions, then let the Rams meet privately with Keenan.....RIGHT! )

:rolleyes:

2. Tez

Tez Member

So....

We are playing "Let's Make a Deal?" So, make the deal, but for no less than the complete truth on the public record. And if they aren't willing to do that, well, no deal. And make them pay for all of the overtime and testing that wouldn't have taken place had they told the truth...

3. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Deathbed Confession?

Patsy's friend "B" from Charlevoix is reporting that Patsy is now being treated with Doxil. Doxil is a last resort cancer drug, which causes severe side effects such as heart failure.

Here is some info on Doxil:

DOXIL is indicated for the treatment of metastatic carcinoma of the ovary in patients with disease that is refractory* to both paclitaxel- and platinum-based chemotherapy regimens.

*Refractory is defined as disease that has progressed while on treatment, or within 6 months of completing treatment.

4. AK

AK Member

Doxil, huh?

Thanks for that. I'll ask around about it.

An oncologist told me that Patsy's condition is severe. She will never be cured, and any meds are just for maintenance.

Personally I hope she has a long life. I'd also like to see her face a trial. Here on earth, the sooner the better. In front of a jury of residents of Boulder.

The Court TV poster doesn't get Colo. law. No lesser charges can be filed when a murder rap is on the menu.

5. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Doxil

About the only advantage it has over its predecessors is that the patient's hair does not fall out. So that part of "B"'s statement is true.

However, as I said, it is a last-ditch[-effort drug. Some cancer patients choose these powerful late stage cancer drugs so that they will die of the side-effects--usually heart failure--rather than end-stage cancer. I had a friend that did that. Her death was rather painless and peaceful, compared to what it would have been otherwise.

6. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Although I admire Ryan Ross and his ability to put almost 7 years of the facts into one fantastic article I don't see how in the world any sort of plea bargin on anything can take place.

Here is why.

The Ramsey and Lin Wood have sued, sued, sued.

Chris Wolf could sue again and win.

LHP could sue again and win.

FW could sue and win.

And so could anyone who has been called a liar and a suspect by the Ramseys and Lin Wood.

Lin Wood has gone out on a professional limb to scream of their innocence. He lied about the 911 tape. Even presented it to NBC as gospel truth.

Think about what would happen if the Ramseys said:

WHOA...Hold On....ok you were right. We covered it up. Those of you who felt B did it well yes ok we sued you too. We'll try and give all your money back. Then we will give everyone a big apology and move along...K'?

Sorry it won't work. Too much has happened.

I really really hope I am wrong.

7. Shadow

Shadow FFJ Senior Content Moderator

I absolutely agree, Tricia. I kind of wonder what brought this CourtTV thing up. I would tend to believe that the Ramseys met with the Boulder DA to discuss every person they have "fingered" in the past and to add to that list.

The only other very slim, slim, slim posibility is lying to the police or obstruction of justice charges - if there is a 911 tape with BR on it, they could be charged with lying to the police or obstruction of justice and still be considered not involved with JBR's death.

8. AK

AK Member

Ramseys Make A Deal?

Somehow I can't help but think of them in the audience with Monty Hall. Patsy is dressed as a leg of lamb and John is in that bondage outfit BobC found him in. (Can't convince me that wasn't a real pix!)

I think it's just naive to imagine a plea agreement. For THE TRUTH? Which truth is that? There are plenty of people already steamed about the was prepared to be prosecuted because it left out more sinister motivations in favor of the bedwetting anger path.

LXIV, thanks for that hair info and for sharing the sad experience of your friend. Sophie's Choice, isn't it? Is Doxil prescribed for lung cancer too?

9. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Fed

Didn't see anything on the Doxil site about lung cancer, but it is being used successfully for AIDS patients who have Kaposi's sarcoma.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice