Mind Hunter

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by CMS, Jan 19, 2002.

1. CMS

CMS Banned

Here are some lines from Mind Hunter. The number of coinidences between the crime and the book suggests it was some kind of influence on the perp.
    "Listen carefully,"-the opening line of two phone calls by kidnapper Larry Gene Bell.
    "The sticky residue of duct tape was on Shari's face."
    "Sahri's last will had been written on lined paper from a legal pad."
    "The kidnapper will have to communicate with the family either by phone or written message if there is to be some proof of the legitimacy of the crime it will accompany a demand."
    "Anyone that close to the victim has to draw suspicion away from him or herself."
    "Whoever had brutilized Linda did not want to leave her body out in the open where another family member-particularly her son- might find it."
    "Then the cheif of police received an alarming letter claiming to be from a group of seven people."
    "The letters were almost illiterate, ruling out [someone] who would have a better education."
    Blunt force trauma to the head and ligature strangulation are mentioned several times as well as hanging from pipes in the basement and ransom demands. There is enough material in this book to supply the perp with a "how to" guide to staging. There is also material that could dissuade a person from attempting a diversion. There is also material that could be part of an unconscious identification on the part of Patsy. Just how the book was used is unclear but the fact it was in the home and that there are many parallels to the case shows it was some kind of influence in the crime. And it is consistent with the importance of literature, books and movies, in the ransom note and in Patsy's life through The Bible and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

2. Nandee

Nandee FFJ Senior Member

CMS

Great information!! It's amazing. We need to find an intruder who has read Mind Hunter and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie :sleuth:

3. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Nandee

I have read both but it's been 99 years. Will dig out Mindhunter and re-read it when I can. Will have to go to the library for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (Gosh - that was back in high school as I recall - sheesh!)

4. Nandee

Nandee FFJ Senior Member

JR

..But you don't fit the profile... unless you are a pedofile :)

5. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Nandee

Afraid not - my profile is more likely to be pulling out my .38 if I even think there's a pedofile near a child.

Y'All haven't mentioned another journalism piece here. Remember Patsy performed a scene from Deadline USA for her pageant piece.

Moved the transcript to it's own thread so as not to confuse the issue here.

6. Thor

Thor Active Member

I think you're right Veep. I seem to remember that they found it there. Of course, Lizard Tongue would deny it. Why wouldn't he?

And welcome CMS!

7. Jeanilou

Jeanilou Member

Mindhunter

Yes, "Mindhunter" was in the Ramsey house, but RST denies it. They also deny the pineapple, the prior molestation, and that Patsy wrote the note. So go figure.

8. Nandee

Nandee FFJ Senior Member

choices

We have Sgt Tom Wickman saying the book was there... and we have the Ramsey's and their pet, Jamsey saying the book wasn't there...

It's a no brainer!!

9. Vic

Vic Active Member

John Douglas

I went to a seminar by John Douglas last year. He was smart, very confident, and quite arrogant. He had a cop's attitude, "get the bad guy." He was a very good speaker, and in terrific physical shape. He's tall, maybe 6ft. 2-4in. He was a likeable guy.

Anyway, at the end he took questions. I asked if he talked to both John and Patsy and he said yes. I asked if Mindhunter was found in their house and he said no. Interestingly, I just read this at Jameson's - although he said at the beginning of the lecture he would talk about JBR at the end if anyone were interested, he really didn't want to answer any questions concerning them. He seemed to prefer quick, pre-planned comments.

Direct quote from the John Douglas and Mark Olshaker book "The Cases That Haunt Us", p. 298.

"'Upon meeting John Ramsey, I informed him who I was, shook his hand, and expressed my sorrow for his loss. As it turned out, there was some significance to the fact that neither he nor Patsy knew who I was. Subsequent to this, several sources, including Detective Steve Thomas, reported that MINDHUNTER, the first book I wrote with Mark, was on John Ramsey's nightstand. In this book we deal with staging crime scenes, and some speculated that one or both of the Ramseys had read it and "learned" how to outwit investigators to make it look as if someone from outside had killed their child. First, I have to say that they--or anyone else--would not have learned this from reading the book. We didn't write a how-to-course, and any good investigator would see right through such a primitive attempt. Morover, much as we would like to think that everyone has read our books and knows who we are, MINDHUNTER was not there on John's nightstand or elsewhere in the house, and I looked through the place pretty carefully. Believe me, as an author you learn to spot your books anywhere and everywhere. And it was not on the long police list of items removed from the house, although a "Dave Barry book about cyberspace" was. This is just one small example of the mountain of erroneous information that has come out about this case. While I understand that John read MINDHUNTER after meeting me, he was completely unfamiliar with my work at the time of the crime.'"

He really stressed the "I look for my books, would know them anywhere comment." He did not mention that JR had read his book after meeting him.

10. Nandee

Nandee FFJ Senior Member

a question

"While I understand that John read MINDHUNTER after meeting me, he was completely unfamiliar with my work at the time of the crime.'"

..and he learned this information from who? John and Patsy???

11. Zan

Zan FFJ Senior Member

Thanks CMS

for posting that information.....Mind Hunter was the first book I thought of in connecting a literary source to this crime....Naturally John Douglas does not want to take any credit as a possible influence on this crime...Who would? But if you read his THE CASES THAT HAUNT US....in the beginning of his commentary on this case...he follows in the direction that I was going...from the questions and comments he makes....I was disappointed in his final anaylsis...but kept in mind what he said in the beginning....that he is only loyal to the victim...and will do what ever it takes to expose the killer...Interesting that he makes very little comment regarding PR...but knew that inorder to interview her he would have to invite John along....Interesting that the questions he asks in that book regarding this crime.. fit in well with a pre-med by PR scenario....and not an accident theory...Which makes on wonder why he decided to end with an intruder theory...UNLESS he wanted to **** off his perp....a perp that he knew was hoping HE would guess who.....One comment he made that stuck out(and there were many)... is...The R's refered to the basement room as the "wine cellar" although they have been said to be light drinkers.....Hmmmm....What he does in that book is present a cold calculated MURDER....but stops short of naming the mother...I guess he figures if the police could just find proof to answer the questions he raises...UNDERNEATH...and the obvious ones he asks....then they would have concrete evidence on their perp....the one they are thinking of now....Not taking Mind Hunter into evidence when they had a chance too...was very poor judgement...BUT they do... according to PMPT have a pic of it on the R's book shelf in the bedroom....they need to check that photo for TPOMJB also...JMO

12. CMS

CMS Banned

John Douglas

I scanned the part of Douglass' book about JonBenet but didn't read it closely. I was really unaware of a controversy over it's presence in the house. Thanks Vic for the heads up. I did leave room, in the original post, for the notion that there was enough material in the book to dissuade someone from from using it as a how to guide. Yet the similarities to the crime are there for all to speculate on. I did read the part in Douglass' book where he notices pictures of Paty wearing a cross before and after the death as if there was no indicator then of any religious influence on the crime. I just took it that I was looking at another mind that was blocked by religion induced myopia. For all the apparent good that Douglass has done with his method he's got this one wrong. And I agree with you Zan that he could be defending his method at the expense of objectivity. I challenge anyone to take a look at the contents of ransom note and the condition of the body and then look at the three books I have mentioned to come up with a plausible explaination as to how there could be so many literary parallels to the crime and Patsy's life. My explaination is that the illogical mind that took parts of Mind Hunter for staging when the act would be transparent also wrote the note with inclusions of material that was swimming around in it's nearly dissociative state of posession (misspelling intended). Someone tell me how pineapple, intruder, attache', internal growth, open window and the question of the spelling of possession can show up in a story with profound religious themes that Patsy thought impressive enough to use on stage and also are items found in the crime. A coincidence? And what of Psalms 118? Another coincidence? And all of this stuff surrounds an accident? No I don't think so.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice