Another Boulder Outrage. SIGN THE PETITION

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Everyone has my full permission to take this post to other forums as long as it is in its entirety and FFJ is identified as the original forum where it was posted.

Bold and caps mine.

Tell me if this information doesn't stink of, at the very least, the appearance of impropriety.

Follow this trail...

....Patrick Furman, a criminal law professor at theUniversity of Colorado in Boulder, has joined attorney Patrick Burke to represent Patsy Ramsey, the source said.

---Charlie Brennen
    Rocky Mountain News, March 1st, 1997

Note the date. 1997 Patrick Furman joins Patsy's defense team.

In 1997 H. Patrick Furman, a law professor at the University of Colorado in Boulder wrote a book. Take note of one of the names of the authors who wrote the book with Furman. Always remember in 1997 this same Patrick Furman joined Patsy's defense team.

Colorado Evidentiary Foundations. ISBN: 1558344608

©1997

Roxanne Bailin, James M. England, H. Patrick Furman,
    Edward J. Imwinkelried

Description

Lawyers often have difficulty making their case smooth and consistant once they're in a courtroom. Colorado Evidentiary Foundations helps you focus your case by demonstarting how to lay the foundation for the admission of evidence. Through the authors' quesiton and answer format, you'll learn how to plan powerful lines of courtroom questioning to control the evidence in both civil and criminal cases, regardless of whom you represent. Colorado Evidentiary Foundations is organized for fast and easy access to necessary information, allowing you easily to compare and contrast the Federal Rules of Evidence with former and current Colorado Rules of Evidence

Roxanne Bailin

Roxanne Bailin is District Judge of the 20th Judicial District of Colorado, where she currently serves in the Civil/Domestic section. Prior to assuming her present position, she was County Judge in Boulder County from 1983-1987. From 1978-1982, Judge Bailin was Associate Clinical Professor at the University of Colorado School of Law - serving as Director of the school's Legal Aid and Defender Program. Judge Bailing received her J.D. from New York University School of Law and her B.A. from the University of Chicago.

http://bookstore.lexis.com/bookstore/catalog?action=product&prod_id=7593
    ````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    Now you may wonder what the big deal is...Here is the big deal.

Patrick Furman, Patsy Ramsey's defense lawyer wrote a book with Judge Roxanne Bailin . The same Roxanne Bailin who TERMINATED an investigation into Fleet White's libel case in Oct. 2000. Judge Bailin claimed she did this at the request of Fleet White but the Whites have said they NEVER made such a request.

Here is the whole story from the Rocky Mountain News.
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ramsey/article/0,1299,DRMN_1296_1498906,00.html

I am still searching for the law about the "appearance of impropriety." It states something to the effect of, "even though there is no impropriety the mere appearance is enough..."

Oh just a bit more if you can stomach it.

When this mess about the special prosecutor was finally straightened out and the special prosecutor decided not to seek criminal libel charges against the local media guess who he faxed his decision to?? That's right Chief Judge Roxanne Bailin. Apparently still the judge in this case.
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_1728716,00.html

Can it get any more incestuous?

In 1997 Patsy Ramsey's defense attorney writes a book with a Judge who makes decisions in cases involving one of the Ramsey's most vocal ex-friends. In addition the Ramseys have pointed their fingers at the Whites as possible suspects.

Oh by the way, and correct me if I am wrong but, wasn't Judge Roxanne Bailin the Judge who presided over the Grand Jury?

This is why, without question, we need an INDEPENDENT SPECIAL PROSECUTOR.

Please send the petition again to people you know. This is so unbelievably wrong.

There will never be justice for JonBenet Ramsey as long as anything to do with the case stays in Boulder Colorado.

Sign the petition.
    http://www.petitiononline.com/jbr246/petition.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2003
  2. Tricia

Ask yourself this question. If a prosecutor who actually had the balls to attempt to prosecute the Ramseys had written a book with a Judge who later presides over cases involving the JBR case and Ramsey accusers and ruled in favor of the Ramseys accusers Lin Wood would blow a gasket.

3. Shadow

Shadow FFJ Senior Content Moderator

Tricia, long, long ago people on the JW Forum were saying that Boulder was a Democrat "good old boy's club" and the legal system was politically corrupt. There was one poster (I can't remember her/his hat) that began posting information about the corruption, then suddendly posted that she/he was being threatened and stopped posting altogether. Maybe he/she was on to something that politicians (even the Republican governor) doesn't want to see the light-of-day?

4. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Blow a gasket He11...he would implode right on the spot.

This case just reeks doesn't it? Elected officials and the political powers that be just astound me with one move right after another and it doesn't really seem to matter what is brought to light...they just don't get it, do they?

5. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

The number of signatures

on the Petition is growing every day - over 800 now. I think that is fantastic given it's only been circulated on the JBR forums.

Incestuous isn't the word for it, Tricia. I think they do their dogs, goats, cats, and guinea pigs, too. Corrupt bastards.

6. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Hello???

If ever a Judge should have recused herself from a case......

Why am I not surprised?

RR

7. Little

Little Member

Layer by layer

My gosh, layer by layer the improprieties are revealed. Is it any wonder the “good†folks of Boulder want this to go away? The more I read the more I begin to understand why justice for a murdered little girl is not the main concern of those who could deliver it.
    Little

8. AK

AK Member

Incestuous? Corrupt?

Come on, you guys! Two legal experts working on a project together, and your minds go to the worst case scenario as a matter of course?

You need to read through the Journal of Forensic Medicine and see how many people who have opposed each other in trials author scientific papers together. Or any lawyer publication. The best and the brightest do author papers and books to educate others. It's part of their abiding love of their jobs!

This is done all the time between medicolegal experts, politicians, and any other arena where there are natural enemies... IN THE WORKPLACE. But they have a little something called PROFESSIONAL ETHICS that make what they do in the workplace separate and sacrosanct from what they do personally.

Unless you can show me actual evidence of collusion on the Ramsey case, this is just a bogus issue suggestive of character assassination.

9. Tricia

Court petitioned to revisit libel charges for Ramsey story
    By Associated Press
    October 24, 2002

BOULDER - The Boulder County district attorney's office made a second request this week for a special prosecutor to review a case alleging that the Daily Camera and other media committed libel in their coverage of the unsolved slaying of JonBenet Ramsey.

Chief District Judge Roxanne Bailin said she terminated an investigation into the libel case in October 2000 at the request of Fleet White Jr. and Priscilla White. But the Whites said they made no such appeal.

District Attorney Mary Keenan said the new motion came at the request of the Whites, who tried to get the Colorado attorney general's office involved in the investigation..

*snip*

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ramsey/article/0,1299,DRMN_1296_1498906,00.html

Fedorax of course professionals on all sides work together in different situations. However even if there is an "appearance of impropriety" someone needs to step aside.

I am only going by memory but wasn't Judge Bailin the judge for the Grand Jury?

It should at the very least been revealed that she had a business relationship with Patsy's defense attorney.

I am sorry but the fact that this was not revealed, granted it wasn't hidden either, to me just stinks.

Don't tell me the judicial officials in Boulder are a large group of upstanding, ethical people. I am certain some are. Others, like Alex Hunter, should be ashamed of themselves.

I could go on and on...

Tripp. Good old Tripp Demouth. Lands a nice job with the RAMSEY'S ****ING DEFENSE ATTORNEYS. HELLO????

It wasn't like Tripp waited a few years and quietly went in.

No the whole time he was ignoring the evidence against the Ramsey's he was in contact with their defense team. Then low and behold he loses the election and WHAMO...Nice job with the defense team of the only suspects in a murder case he should have been investigating for the D.A.

The whole thing REEKS. This is why it needs to be taken away from Boulder. '

Fedorax did you hear Michael Kane on Dan Abrams? Fedorax he said Keenan was ignoring her own case file when she made those outrageous statements about Judge Carnes ruling. Kane knows what is in the files. He was appalled at Keenan.

Tell me one place on this planet where a civil attorney was able to threaten a city with a lawsuit and get a murder case taken away from the cops and given to a D.A. who has her head so far up his :behind: that he can't sit.

I would swear Wood is writing Keenan's PR. if I didn't know better.

Lin Wood was allowed to control an on-going murder investigation with his threats in my opinion.

One of the main attorneys investigating this case went to work for the Ramsey defense team as soon as he was out of a job.

Patsy's defense lawyer wrote a book with the judge who apparently, arbitrarily, tried to interfere with a case brought by one of the Ramsey's main accusers by saying the plaintiff's dropped it when they did no such thing. I think that is pretty compelling.

The only rumor I have heard was on the purgatory forum. I have no idea if it's true. I hope we find out more.

AMORE29 posted that Judge Bailin's secretary sent info to the google girls. That is rumor.

Other than that rumor all I have to do is open my eyes to see the real evidence.

Fedorax your wrote:

"Unless you can show me actual evidence of collusion on the Ramsey case, this is just a bogus issue suggestive of character assassination."

Fedorax I don't have tapes of planning sessions or video of clandestine planning meetings because I don't think that is how any of this went down.

If there is something that you can point to that doesn't reek of a incestuous cluster **** in this case with the D.A., Judges, and even a few cops then I would like to see it because every time someone from one of these offices has a job to do they fail miserably when it comes to the Ramsey case in my opinion. ( I know the cops are working hard. I am referring more to the Smit and Ainsworth crew)

If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, it is a duck.

10. Tricia

I want to make sure I am making myself clear.

I understand that professionals in the judicial system, often from opposite sides of the courtroom, work together on all kinds of things.

These professionals are able to work on projects together one day and the next day face each other in court and try and tear each other a part. Or perhaps have a judge who is a close friend rule against them over and over and over.

I know this. I get it. In fact it would be a tremendous leap in judgment to assume there are problems with professionals doing this.

However I do feel, in the interest of appearing ethical, it should have been revealed that Furman and Bailin wrote a book together.

In reality the fact that Furman and Bailin wrote a book in 1997 wouldn't be a big deal if it was revealed early on. It wasn't. Perhaps everyone knew and didn't feel the need to mention it. I don't know. However the bigger issue I have is this paragraph from the Rocky Mountain News.

"Chief District Judge Roxanne Bailin said she terminated an investigation into the libel case in October 2000 at the request of Fleet White Jr. and Priscilla White. But the Whites said they made no such appeal.."

Right there. That is so "Ramsey case " like. What the hell is this Judge doing?

The appearance of impropriety. It has slimed this case from one end to the other.

Just how ethical was it for Keenan to ignore the evidence in her case files and come out in favor of a civil judge's ruling?

How ethical was it for the D.A.'s office to keep turning over evidence to the Ramseys?

I could go on and on but I think you get the picture.

I understand 100 percent what you are saying Fedorax but remember, this is Boulder, where appearances are often what they seem.

11. AK

AK Member

Tricia...

Yes, Bailin was in charge of the grand jury, but so what? Likely she stipulated to all attorneys ahead of time that she had a connection and they said "OK" and went forward. This is really red herring stuff.

Your point about the Whites' appeal is certainly good and deserves an answer.

I've been in court this week for a murder case where an attorney has a VERY convoluted connection with one of the participants and was called to the stand to discuss it. Once revealed and assimilated, everyone moved on.

You can't keep piling on stuff and hope it creates an avalanche. That's what the cops and DAs do to build a case, and it's appropriate there to bolster a circumstantial case. But they have all the facts and can better make those assertions. What do we have? Rumors and half-baked theories.

Let's leave the fantasies to the Google Girls. I wouldn't want to have to pay them royalties for twisted thinking.

Re "This is Boulder" -- I've gotta chuckle at that one since it reminds me of the similar line in "Chinatown." :D I think Boulder should hold its head high that it held back a bad prosecution and chose to wait for conditions to improve. I had a very exciting discussion with someone yesterday about some of the new techniques that may be used to find justice on the Ramsey case. Why dwell on what's wrong and can't be fixed when there is plenty of stuff in the hopper that can get us where we want to be?

Like I've said before... Patsy's health is our only deal-breaker.

12. Watching You

Don't think so, Fed

I do know something about this, because I type up Decisions for a state and federal mediator/arbitrator. I have typed hundreds of fascinating cases, and I know how this system works. Though he is not a judge in the sense that he sits in a court room and makes decisions, he has to abide by the same laws they do and the same ethics. Ethics are everything. One is known by the company one keeps, and that applies to subjects working side by side in a controversial case.

The man for whom I type the Decisions often factors in the "appearance of impropriety" in his Decisions. He doesn't do it on that appearance alone, but that combined with other factors will often swing a case. If there is even a small chance that there could be a question in his own ability to be impartial (that is the big deal, you know), he will either offer to recuse himself, at the parties' wish, or simply recuse himself because he knows he might not be able to be impartial. At the same time, I've seen him make decisions that lean so far in the opposite direction of his own biases, just so he himself knows he can't be accused of the appearance of impropriety. These decisions are the right decisions, IMO.

The appearance of impropriety isn't just a term. It means there is a chance there could be colusion among the parties, and it isn't a frivolous term, either. I know professionals who are married yet diobolically opposed on some professional issues that involve decisions about other people's lives. There is the appearance of impropriety there, and it isn't a slight chance. Married people live together - they talk. I remember Judge Ito's offering to recuse himself when his wife became involved in the Simpson trial. It's common sense, and it's good sense.

This idea that we should automatically trust these fools in Boulder is simply beyond comprehension, Fed. Not only has there been an appearance of impropriety there, there have been real improprieties. I choose not to ignore those improprieties, and anything that reeks of the "appearance of improprieties" is enough for me to question what's going on.

I KNOW that chit goes on behind the scenes, Fed. I've seen it with my own eyes. My arbitrator/mediator is one of the most ethical people I know. He does not do anything outside the boundaries of propriety. OTOH, I have seen plenty other places, and Boulder is certainly no shining example of propriety or ethical behavior.

I disagree with you, Fed. I think Boulder is one of the most incestuous (government wise, that is) towns in the world.

13. Tricia

Fedorax wrote:

"Unless you can show me actual evidence of collusion on the Ramsey case, this is just a bogus issue suggestive of character assassination."

Then Fedorax wrote: "I've been in court this week for a murder case where an attorney has a VERY convoluted connection with one of the participants and was called to the stand to discuss it. Once revealed and assimilated, everyone moved on."

So I guess if I question the fact that Patsy Ramsey's defense attorney wrote a book for profit with the judge who oversaw the Grand Jury and who dropped a complaint concerning one of the Ramsey's main accusers, and then went on to claim that the main accusers wanted her to drop the complaint ( later proven to be un-true) I am guilty of " a bogus issue suggestive of character assassination."

Yet an attorney in a case you are involved with had a VERY convoluted connection with one of the participants and was questioned about it and somehow that isn't the same thing as what I brought up? You don't think the judge questioning the attorney you know was trying to assassinate the man's character?

WY is right. It is the APPEARANCE OF IMPROPRIETY which I have a right to bring up without being accused of something so over the top as character assassination. Too much Fedorax.

With such a high profile case riddled with accusations I would think the attorneys and judges involved would go out of their way to avoid the appearance of impropriety. Appearance being the key word. I am not accusing anyone directly of acting inappropriate. I am saying there is an appearance of impropriety. Big difference.

With Judge Bailin's behavior in the White case and her direct book for profit she wrote with Patsy's defense attorney I would think others in Boulder would ask the same question.

14. Little

Little Member

True - no matter which side of the fence I was on this would worry me.
    Little

15. AK

AK Member

Where's Tom Koby when I need him?

I'd like to borrow his Constitution to wave at you all!

Presumption of innocence! Your minds are going in directions the facts don't support. You're not privy to court transcripts or in camera discussions (nor am I, of course) -- so why assume these disclosures weren't revealed and presented no problem to the parties?

Judge Lance Ito did offer to recuse himself, but no one felt it necessary. He was married to Peggy York, the top female commander at LAPD, whose name was/is on a short list as chief. She'd had bitter encounters with Mark Fuhrman when he was running his little Woman Hater Club out of Robbery/Homicide. But it was all discussed and there was no nexis to the Simpson case.

These people are professionals! Do you imagine a judge would get to that position without a LOT of peer review and good writeups? Whether elected or appointed, this is a big position and Bailin's docket is especially rich. She, of all the judges, was given this case because she had the necessary wisdom, experience and clarity. And now you guys are undercutting her stature because of suspicions? That's not fair. This ain't JudgeMental we're talking about!

Books are FOR SALE. Even Academic Press books are done for money. This is really not a big deal. It's actually a feather in both person's caps that they would do something professionally to educate others.

The "appearance of impropriety" refers to that which offends the participants' peers, not the uninformed public. On a case like this, with the stakes as high as we know them to be, and the countless whiners just looking for a toe hold, you don't think someone would have bellyached by now if there was something amiss? Come on!

Gimme something I can sink my teeth into and I'm your pit bull. This one's just a soggy milk bone. :D

16. Tricia

Ok here is something.

What poster drops little hints about something big on a thread and then leaves a certain forum owner wondering what is going on to the point she is now chewing off her arm below her elbow because she is going nuts not knowing?

Fedorax wrote:By the time you read this... you will have learned that Aerospace, indeed, supports their work and claims

WHAT WHAT WHAT????

Tricia

17. AK

AK Member

Hehe!

Just call it a SHOWER VISION...

18. Tricia

AAAAAAGGGGGRRRRRRRRRHHHHH

:spit: :monty:

:abnormal:

It's your fault if I have two bloody stumps where my arms once were.

19. Watching You

Come on, Tricia

stop gnawing on your elbows and think THURSDAY afternoon in WY territory. Think about a certain, ahem, reporter, no not the maimed one, HEY, I'M A FREAKING JOURNALIST, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. How's that for a scarey shower vision?

Think about reading and stuff like that. Come on, Tricia, you can do it, I know you can.

Could it be? Does it start with T? hahahahaha I will do a jig on my desk if this is true.

Fed, Smooooooch

20. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Well

I suppose this is one way to get thinner arms, Tricia, always look for the rainbow!

It's up to you now, WY, and hence, we expect a safe delivery and/or pick up by today or tomorrow.

K?
    RR

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice