Ramseys refuse to pay lawyer, get sued

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Watching You, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

2. Watching You

It would appear Jenkins has personally witnessed the wrath of Patsy Ramsey.

One has to wonder how many object(ives) Patsy pursued with a vengeance.

The Court really goofed on this one - Patsy should have been removed as executor of her son's lawsuit funds, at least temporarily, as it presented a definite conflict of interest in this case.

I would also note that a settlement in this case is a loss for Lin Wood. Since the lawsuit was against the Ramseys, there would be no monies for Wood to collect his contingency fee he claims pays for his services to the Ramseys. It would be in his best interests to make sure Burke's funds are held intact so that he can be assured of collecting his own attorney fees. One attorney fighting payment to another attorney for services rendered. Kinda makes one wonder about Wood's own motives.

3. imon128

imon128 Banned

Old times

Anybody else remember that time that Patsy was on jury duty and yelled at a lawyer afterward about some dental records, or some such thing? Of course, this was PTJBD (Prior to JonBenet' Death). Talk about a woman with a vengeance...

4. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

What I cannot fathom is why Patsy ended up as the guardian of Burke's financial interests and not John. This is the same woman who claimed that she had so little interest in the family finances, she was content to believe that if she had blank checks, the family had money to fund them. This is the same woman who, when forming her own company (Patsy Ramsey & Associates, Inc.) in 1986, was so unsure of her skills in handling the company finances that she had to assign John Ramsey as the Chief Financial Officer and Secretary.

And did anyone catch Lin Wood's inference that the settlements on behalf of Burke were not as rich as Ramsey defenders would like them to be thought? We were all supposed to have believed that Burke got millions of dollars in settlement money as vindication and punishment of the tabloids. Yet Wood said in the Brief in Support of Motion to Stay, "For the reasons set forth herein, Mrs. Ramsey, as guardian, requests that this Court exercise its discretion in the interests of economy of time and effort for all parties but especially for the minor child whose estate is limited and should not be wasted on defending against frivolous claims for attorney's fees."

Limited, eh? So since the amount in dispute is merely eight thousand and change, Burke could not have gotten anything even approaching several hundred thousands of dollars let alone millions in settlements, to which eight thousand would be a drop in the bucket. I believe we might be able to infer that the settlements were in the range of the low tens of thousands, but not as much as a hundred thousand in total.

5. Watching You

Why_Nut

I have long been an avid reader of your posts and have enjoyed your reasoned responses to the leader of the swamp whenever her forum is public. You are a welcome addition to FFJ.

You bring up a very good point - wasn't it Patsy who said she knew nothing about the household finances? In fact, I think she said all she needed was a checkbook and she was fine. JR took care of the rest.

If my memory serves me right, there were some hinky things going on with tranferral of properties owned by the Ramseys around the time Patsy was in her first round of treatment for the cancer on her liver.

I heard those public records were very interesting, :D but I can't remember where I heard it.

6. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Why_Nut I second what Watching You said. Your posts about this case are phenomenal. Welcome. We look forward to your wisdom.

The other thing to consider is why would you turn financial responsibility over to someone who has had reoccurrences of cancer? Wouldn't it be prudent to have someone else handle a big on-going, ever changing financial situation such as Burke's? What if Patsy became sick again and couldn't handle it.

John is the CEO. John ran a billion dollar company. Patsy spent his money. That's it.

The only thing that makes sense is Patsy WANTED to be in CONTROL of SOMETHING.

7. Vic

Vic Active Member

Welcome, Why_Nut

I too, have always enjoyed your thought provoking posts. I'm really glad to see you here.

One thing that struck me was the first document agreeing to the terms of representation. Patsy Ramsey's signature at the end of the first document, less than two months after her daughter's murder, was firm, bold and assertive.

I expectied to see a somewhat shaky, tenative signature - especially given the drugs she appeared to be taking during this time period.

And what ingrates. Not paying the lawyer who cleared your little kid, saving him from a lot of crap....

8. Watching You

That seems to be a trait

certain privileged characters hold in common - believing people should provide services to them for nothing. The Ramseys, certain grass roots reporters....

9. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Hi, Why-Nut,

Welcome to FFJ.

Patsy does indeed have an explosive temper, which has been manifested time and time again.

Poor JonBenet, who probably died looking into the face of her crazed angered mother.

10. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Welcome Why Nut

How exciting to see you here!

What is wrong with this picture?? Putting a guardianship of this level in the hands of a woman who will soon have a probate file opened on her?

RR

11. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Ditto what everyone else says about you Why Nut. I always sit up and listen when you posts..... you are one of the most respected posters on these forums and I love your fountain of knowledge of this case.

12. Ayeka

Ayeka Member

So wrong

Can someone who speaks fluent legalese filter and summarize these documents? My better half has the brain today.

Bruddah. Time and time again these people prove they have no conscience whatsoever.

Why_Nut, welcome to FFJ. I've heard nothing but excellent things about you. :)

Ayeka

13. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

I'm not sure if

this would apply but I'm wondering if that term for the funds being limited would mean that since it is being held in trust there is a limit as to how much the parents can withdraw from it. In other words the trust is for Burke and what the parents want out of it is limited.

I heard about the trust fund that the olympic athlete Carl Lewis had that allowed him to remain an amateur. All the endorsements and other monies that he got all went into a trust that gave him a modest living. However when it came time for a new car he chose a Mercedes, a new house a mansion. There was no question about him spending it though he had to ask each time he wanted something like that and the request was always granted.

The rules are different for child stars though. Their parents cannot fritter away their earnings like in days of old. They may take some of the money out of the trust but it is closely guarded by the courts or a referee of some kind.

Could this be something like what that is refering to?

It makes me sick that her parents and that publicity ego driven Woody are still trying to sue everything and anybody in sight.

Do you think that this little setback is a sign that the tide is turning? In our favor??? Oh praise the Lord and pass the amunition!

14. imon128

imon128 Banned

Welcome, why_nut. You'll like it here and I join your posters fan club.

I, too, wondered the first thing why Patsy alone was guardian on Burke's money. Then, my second thought was that perhaps John and Patsy discussed it and thought John might be going to the hoose-gow and they wouldn't have to go through red tape to get him off and make it solely Patsy.

They are the strangest couple, I swear. Poor Burke...his choices for a decent guardian seem to be very limited...pickins are slim.

I do recall reading somewhere, early in the case, that prior to JonBenet's death John and Patsy (probably more John that Patsy :) ) put $10,000 a year in a trust for JonBenet, so I assumed they did the same for Burke. Wonder if they donated Burke's trust to the JB Foundation, LOL.

15. Tez

Tez Member

Welcome Why _Nut!

It is great to see you here!

Imon, yes slim pickens.

16. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

Thanks to all of you for being so generous with your compliments. As much as I find satisfaction in bringing my own perspective to the case, it is even more satisfying to be able to test that perspective against the many others, opposing or not, that you all bring to bear. I am made wiser by your words, and if in some small way you benefit from my own, so mote it be.

17. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Maybe Patsy wanting custody of Burke is an indication of the current status of the Ramsey's "strong marriage."

Why nut are you that person who used to post on Jameson's site? Someone once asked me if you were Lou Smit. I had to confess that I really had no idea.

18. Watching You

Bite thy tongue, BobC

Lou Smit couldn't hold a candle...

Gawd, that's funny, hahahahaha.

19. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

I never go over there so I don't have a clue!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice