Parents of slain girl share their faith

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Little, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Little

Little Member

Parents of slain girl share their faith
    Ramseys speak at luncheon in Greeneville
    By JEANNINE F. HUNTER, hunter@knews.com
    October 8, 2003
    GREENEVILLE, Tenn. - Parents of 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey said their faith has sustained them since her death and the law enforcement and media scrutiny that caused them to live perpetually under an "umbrella of suspicion."

John and Patsy Ramsey spoke at a luncheon Tuesday at Greeneville's General Morgan Inn and Conference Center.

JonBenet was found dead in her Boulder, Colo., home the day after Christmas 1996. Her murder remains unsolved, and the Ramseys, who were never charged, insist they are innocent.
    The Ramseys recollected the events that happened in December 1996 and since then, particularly focusing on people who assisted them. They shared their feelings about being considered suspects as well as losing and regaining their faith in God.

"When tragedy happens in someone's life, their faith changes," John Ramsey told a crowd of more than 150. "Either it goes away, or it strengthens."

Hosting the luncheon was the Greeneville Christian Leadership Roundtable, an interdenominational community of faith established in April. The group meets monthly, and the Ramseys' visit Tuesday swelled their numbers from their normal average of 85.

The Ramseys are friends of Kingsport businessman Don Hill who heads up a similar organization in Kingsport. They spoke for that group last April.

John Ramsey said he's drawn strength from the story of Job, a prosperous man whose faith was tested after he lost his family and possessions.

"He received double of everything he lost: his land, his cattle," said Ramsey who had an adult daughter who died in a car accident in 1992. "But the Scripture said he had seven sons and three daughters who died. God was saying Job ultimately had 20 children but 10 were with Him.

"It was a small reference, but it made a difference to me, knowing that JonBenet is also safe and at peace with God."
    Patsy Ramsey said it was hardest for her to understand why JonBenet died.

"Until this happened, I never understood when the Bible says 'to live is Christ and to die is gain'."

She said she looks forward to being reunited with her daughter in heaven.

"Before she was my child, she was God's child," Patsy Ramsey said.

Patsy Ramsey said that while it hurts, she feels JonBenet "fulfilled her purpose, and we hope today we start to fulfill some of the purposes God has for our lives."
    With tears in her eyes, Kelley Ricker said she was moved by hearing about the amount of caring that the other people had for them.

"And just how they had overcome so much," she said. "I didn't know about the other daughter's death, and Patsy having cancer. They seem quite normal to have come through so much."
    Resident Frank Carile said he arrived skeptical of the Ramseys.

"I had a different opinion of them," Carile said as people filed out of the banquet room and received free copies of the Ramseys' book that they could get autographed. "I feel different towards them. I heard what they had on their hearts. I just wish they receive peace."
    Jeannine F. Hunter may be reached at 865-342-6324.
    http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article/0,1406,KNS_347_2329554,00.html

Little

2. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Anybody got any dramamine?

3. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Get your barf bag, BobC

[​IMG]

4. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Heh...

Patsy is wearing her prison stripes again.

5. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Hmmm...

I wonder which one of those attentive ladies in the crowd is Real Stormy, lapping up the Ramsey-chit???

6. Kelly

Kelly Member

That photo brought me out of my lurk mode and almost made me loose my dinner.

Is that Don Paugh sitting behind Patsy? Who is that man/woman directly behind her? Burke?, Susan Stine?, GPP's new wife?

Why aren't the Ramsey's spending their time trying to solve this crime with the police? Hmmm?

7. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Hi, Kelly...Good to see you.

Can you stand more? Here's another report on the self-serving phonies:

Tusculum College Students Hear John And Patsy Ramsey

The Greeneville Sun

10-09-2003

John and Patsy Ramsey, who found themselves at the center of a media firestorm after their daughter was murdered in December 1996, told Tusculum College students and staff Tuesday afternoon how their Christian faith has helped them through their trying times.

The Ramseys, appearing at the college as part of a visit to Greeneville organized by the Greeneville Christian Leadership Roundtable, spoke of the hope their faith has given them, how God has worked in their lives, and their experiences with law enforcement and the media after the murder of their seven-year-old daughter, JonBenet.

"Faith is a journey; some people are ahead of you, and some people are behind you," John Ramsey said. "If by sharing our experiences we can be of help to one person, then it is worthwhile."

"My prayer for you is that nothing bad will happen to you," Patsy Ramsey told the students.

"Something, sometime, unfortunately, is going to happen in your life that will be bad. If I can help you remember one thing, it is that there is a place to go when nothing else works — the Bible."

One of the first questions most people ask is how the couple was able to emotionally survive the death of their daughter, John Ramsey said.

The first "survival" question that must be asked is “Why did it happen?†he continued.

The answer of most religions is that it is the punishment for some wrongdoing, he said. But Mr. Ramsey cited the Book of Job in the Bible in which Job suffered the loss of everything he has, but has done nothing wrong.

***snip***

"Faith is easy when you have good circumstances," Ramsey continued. "To have that faith when circumstances are not so good, you have to trust God.

“That is a bridge we had to cross, to trust Him with the things that have happened." Patsy Ramsey recalled an incident from her childhood in which her parents' best friends lost an 18-year-old son in a traffic accident.

"I remember peeking into our living room, and overhearing my mother ask her best friend how she was making it through this.

“I heard her best friend say, 'It is because of this book,' and she pulled a Bible from her purse and held it up. “Why did God let me see that scene 35 years ago? He knew I would need that same strength."

Recalling the death of John Ramsey's oldest daughter, Beth, in an automobile accident in 1992 and Mrs. Ramsey’s own bout with cancer prior to JonBenet's murder in 1996, she said that God has been with her through all these trials.

She asked the students to remember to look to God and the Bible when they find themselves in similar situations.

***snip***

The Ramseys also spoke of their experiences with the news media and law enforcement agencies after the murder of their daughter.

“We had some reporters who would tell us that they didn't believe it, but if they don't release it, their competitors would,†John Ramsey said.

"In the rush to get information out, you end up with information that is not verified, not accurate and comes from a questionable source."

"How do we know what is in the paper is correct?" he asked. "The media knows this is a problem. The media hates itself, but doesn't know how to change.

“The critical thing for us to do is to be very critical [in] thinking of what we read, to think for ourselves."

***snip***

‘Friends For JonBenet’

One of the efforts of the “Friends for JonBenet†foundation is to advocate for a law of that type to be established.

The foundation is also advocating for the murder of a child to be a federal offense.

***snip***

http://www.greene.xtn.net/index.php?table=news&template=news.view.subscriber&newsid=104537

8. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Help Me JEEEEZUS!

"I remember peeking into our living room, and overhearing my mother ask her best friend how she was making it through this.

“I heard her best friend say, 'It is because of this book,' and she pulled a Bible from her purse and held it up. “Why did God let me see that scene 35 years ago? He knew I would need that same strength."

Here Patsy has a clearcut memory of a scene and dialogue from 35 years ago, yet in the police interviews on the murder of her child, every other phrase out of her is "I don't remember", "I can't recall", or "I have no memory of that".

What a fraud!

It's a wonder their Bibles don't blow up in their faces.

9. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Exactly, Lurker. Maybe Patsy is afflicted with Selective Amnesia. I wonder how many of the people in that audience have read the police interrogation transcripts?

Killers almost never look like killers. Look at OJ Simpson--amiable, always smiling, joking, almost buffoonish. And yet the class clown chopped up two people in the prime of their lives. As someone pointed out of CS, Ted Bundy fooled everybody for over a decade.

You can't base your opinion of guilt or innocence on emotion.

10. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

First thing that

popped into my head when I saw what Patsy was wearing was, Patsy's got her Jackie Kennedy clothes on, again. Remember the suit that Jackie was wearing on November 22, 1963? A bright pink suit with dark navy trim. Patsy's outfit might be black trim, but it looks the same.

Sociopaths are cunning and charming. Ted Bundy was a sociopath - he could charm anyone with his good looks and sparkling personality. Simpson is another one. Many murderers are sociopaths - they can make you believe they are innocent. Unless one has a gut that warns you (I have one, Greenleaf has one), even in the face of a most loving and kind facade, it's easy to be taken in by them. Many a victim has been fooled by that loving and kind facade. Many of them ended up dead.

Interesting concept - I wonder how many of us just on this forum have that warning gut - the instinct that puts you on alert around some of the most outgoing, friendly people? Both my last boss and my present boss have learned to trust my instincts about people. My present boss's wife has the same gut instincts. I have to actually meet the person to catch the vibes - I'm not as good at it on the computer, LOL.

11. Spade

Spade Member

If & When

John, Patsy, and Looney Lou meet Jesus I imagine he/she/it is going to be PO'd. Between taking his name in vain and bearing false witness they have all bought a ticket to the firey pits of hell.

12. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

disgusting

This is when I despise the Ramseys the most - when they pull out the religion trump card and expect us all to believe that because they can conjure up a touching Bible story or two, we're supposed to not only believe they're innocent but also feel sorry for them.

Cause it's always about them, isn't it? Not JonBenet, the little six year old kindergartener who was murdered on CHRISTMAS night.

Yea, they might throw out a reference or two to her, but in the end it always comes back to John and Patsy - those poor, poor Ramseys who are such stalwart saints in the midst of so much opression.

Bullsh!t. They both absolutely make me sick to my stomach.

13. Little

Little Member

My favorite "quote"

Well, this is my favorite quote from Patsy so far:

Patsy Ramsey said that while it hurts, she feels JonBenet "fulfilled her purpose, and we hope today we start to fulfill some of the purposes God has for our lives."

Ok, so her 6-year-old- child had fulfilled her purpose. What the hell does that mean? So I guess they figure that's the breaks, huh? It's still about them, it's still about Patsy and her service to God? She feels real bad about what happened, but after all, it was God's mission for JonBenet to be brutalized in her own home? AHHHHH!

Little

14. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Pearlsim, my sentiments exactly.

This must be a Hal Haddon strategy--the remarkable religious conversion and the requisite Bible-thumping.

Kobe Bryant and his Bible have been inseparable for the past few weeks. He walks around quoting Psalms. His defense attorney, Pam Mackey, has learned well at the knee of the master deceiver, Haddon.

15. Shadow

Shadow FFJ Senior Content Moderator

Amen Spade & Pearlism!!

Whether the Ramseys killed JBR or not, it does appear to me that the Ramseys, their lawyers, and their defenders have totally forgotten that JBR was murdered. I would have been turned-off by the BPD and DA's office and demanded a full investigation by the DOJ long ago (6 years?). I hate to say it, but the Ramseys and OJ seem to have the same urgency at finding the killer(s).

16. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

And then there is JOB 24

Scott Ross comments after his Ramsey interview.
    http://cbn.org/ScottRoss/commentary/Roundtable_Discussion_JonBenet_Ramsey_Case.asp

"There are also a number of Scriptures that talk about the fact that there is a God in heaven that knows everything we are doing -- everything. I asked the Ramseys if they were afraid of truth, if they were afraid of justice. Then there is a verse that I had written down here from Job 24.

"The murderer rises at dark that he may kill. At night there are thieves and robbers waiting for the dark when no one will see me, they say. They mask their faces so no one will know them."

17. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Little,

Your quote is exactly what I had tried to respond to earlier but the great wizard of the computer ate my note. To me that sentance is absurd and very very demeaning. How dare Patsy say that JBR had fulfilled anything. How could she say that and how did she know? Wasn't she meant to have lived and gone on to a good life of her own? To me is smacks of a confession of sorts. Think about it. It's like a shrug of the shoulders and saying OH well, she's gone now and she fulfilled her promise. How on earth could a mother say such a thing about her child? Especially one that she helped end the life of. (bad sentance) Anyway thank you for bringing that up. I am still upset about it. This gets to me as not many other things that she has said have done.

18. Little

Little Member

zoomama

I know exactly what you mean. I felt the same way, and a bit sick to my stomach when I read that. It just makes you shake your head in amazement.

I guess I didn't think of it until you said it though about that being able to be looked at as a confession of sorts.

So...the killer was doing God's will??!! Because JonBenet had fulfilled her purpose and it was time to move on?

And just when you think you've heard it all!

Little

19. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

Patsy

is going by the premise that JBR must have fulfilled her purpose on earth because God "took" her. I don't believe that people ONLY die when their purpose here is complete. Sometimes people step in and murder someone before it was time for them to go. God didn't take JBR - someone in her home ended her life too soon.
    Patsy is simply trying to comfort herself.

20. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Texan,

yes, that is another way to look at this. Thank you for bringing that up.

I get upset when I hear folks say that God did this or God did that. Hey, God doesn't DO anything to us here on earth. That is a euphemism to help soften some blows. We have free will and can do whatever the he*l we want to do. That is the greatness of man. And the even greater goodness and grandur of God. He lets us us alone but we can ask for help and guidence along the way. But when our prayers are offered we can only hope for an answer. It doesn't come back to us by Fed-ex or USPS. Uh uh. No way.
    It does come to us later in the certainity that what you are doing is the correct thing. That is how our prayers are answered. J M H O

OK that's it for the sermon on this Sunday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice