Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The "Beehive State" It's true. Look it up

Default Georgetown Sheriff John Maspero in a heap 'o trouble.

Sheriff John Maspero is the Sheriff in charge of the department that is investigating Rachel Cooke's disappearance.

There are some fine people in the Sheriff's department. I have met several of them. Great people who care and want to find Rachel.

However their boss, Sheriff Maspero, is not someone I think highly of at all.

Now he has been caught with his pants down. Literally.

http://www.statesman.com/nation/con...5a90730075.html

Inquiry puts sheriff's job on the line
    If tapes show lawman was drunk, Williamson attorney may seek ouster

By Sarah Coppola

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, October 17, 2003

Williamson County Attorney Eugene Taylor said Thursday he has begun an inquiry into whether Sheriff John Maspero should be removed from office for appearing to be drunk on a Georgetown roadside early Saturday morning.

A motorist told a police dispatcher that morning that Maspero seemed drunk and was relieving himself in her view as he walked along Williams Drive, according to the Georgetown Police Department. A patrol officer determined that Maspero seemed drunk and drove him to a home a few miles away, police said. Maspero was not charged with a crime and has said he thinks he did the responsible thing by not driving drunk after attending a barbecue.

Taylor said he would encourage the sheriff to resign or might sue to remove him from office if the 911 recording and videotape of the police stop show Maspero drunk. Taylor has asked the city for those tapes and any other documents pertaining to the incident. He said he would subpoena them if the city refuses to release them.

The incident "highly offends me. It personally incenses me," said Taylor, who, like Maspero, is a Republican. "We have worked for years and years to get a tough-on-crime law enforcement reputation here, and to have your head law enforcement guy not obey the law doesn't sit well with a lot of people."

Taylor also has asked radio station KVET 98.1 FM for a copy of Thursday's interview with Maspero on the Sammy Allred and Bob Cole morning show.

Texas law says a sheriff or any other elected county official may be removed for "intoxication on or off duty caused by drinking an alcoholic beverage."

The case would be a jury trial before one of the county's four district judges, Taylor said. Prosecutors would have to show that Maspero was drunk, but would not have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt, he said. Instead, the slightly more lenient standard of proof used in civil cases would apply. Taylor said that if a judge agreed that the case had merit, the judge could appoint an interim sheriff until the case was completed.

Georgetown City Attorney Patricia Carls has asked the Texas attorney general for an opinion on whether the recordings should be released to news organizations under open records laws. She did not return a phone call on whether she would release the tapes to the county attorney.

Taylor said he will carefully review the documents before deciding whether to sue. "If all that I'm hearing is true, it would be gracious of him to step down, and I would encourage that," Taylor said.

Maspero said he would fight a lawsuit and still plans to run for re-election in November 2004. He said he is glad he chose not to drive drunk but is willing to face criticism for his conduct. "What I did was a personal matter; it was obviously a mistake -- which I have admitted to -- and I will take full responsibility for it," he said. "I do not think my job as sheriff has come into question."

Patrol officer Ben Runkle stopped Maspero at 12:45 a.m. Saturday after police received the 911 call. Runkle determined that Maspero did seem drunk but was not a danger to himself or others, police said.

Another officer, Mike Tackett, also responded to the call, and his patrol car video camera captured part of the incident, police said.

On the radio show Thursday, Maspero said that he relieved himself in some bushes and was walking on a sidewalk before police stopped him.

When a reporter for the Austin American-Statesman asked him Wednesday whether he had relieved himself along the road, the sheriff said he did not. He did not clarify during that interview that he had relieved himself in some bushes.

The Austin American-Statesman has also requested the police documents. In her letter to the attorney general, Carls said that she is unsure whether the documents may be kept private to protect the officers' identities or because the department didn't file charges against Maspero.

Maspero said that even if the attorney general approves releasing the documents, he will have to sign a consent form before the city releases them. He received the consent form Thursday, and he will sign it today, he said.

{snip}
    ```````````````````````````````````````````````

Now granted Maspero made the right choice not to drink and drive. However I question his judgement as an elected law enforcement official for the following reasons;

*Getting drunk in a public place on a weeknight no less.

* walking home intoxicated

*not having the sense to call someone to pick him up.

JMHO of course

Tricia
    tgrif@xmission.com
    FFJ C/O Tricia Griffith
    6300 N Sage Wood Drive
    Suite H #214
    Park City UT

I am unaware of anyone who's profited from exploiting the Ramsey murder over a longer period of time, with a greater disregard for the principles of accuracy and fairness, than the production team of Mills and Tracey.They truly do inhabit a different moral universe from real journalists. It's the difference between journalism and propaganda.
    Alan Prendergast,reporter for Westword

Maybe he will be ousted, and someone will be put in office who can really benefit RC and the investigation into Rachel's disappearance...we can only hope and pray that will happen!
    It's probably too late to get justice for JonBenét. Maybe it always was. But knowing where things went wrong is the first step to not going there again. **-- Alan Prendergast-Dec 21, 2006--**

More updates on the sheriff:

Sheriff enters alcohol treatment program
    Chief deputy will lead department as Maspero seeks help for problem

10/21/03: Sheriff enters alcohol treatment program
    10/18/03: Witnesses say sheriff was drunk
    10/16/03: Patrol video of sheriff's stop is withheld
    10/15/03: Williamson County sheriff gets lift home after appearing drunk

By Sarah Coppola
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Amid growing calls to resign, Williamson County Sheriff John Maspero has decided to seek treatment for a drinking problem and will run for re-election next year, his attorney announced Monday.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...sday/news.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inquiry begins; sheriff in rehab
    Task force starts sorting through leads

By Sarah Coppola
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Williamson County Attorney Gene Taylor's team of six investigators began an inquiry into Sheriff John Maspero's conduct Tuesday by sorting through more than 50 leads.

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/...421d10038.html

Angry more

The story on John Maspero is getting worse.

Williamson County prosecutor files lawsuit to remove sheriff
    County Attorney Gene Taylor says he can prove Sheriff John Maspero was drunk in public a dozen times

By Sarah Coppola

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, November 13, 2003

GEORGETOWN -- Williamson County Sheriff John Maspero has been seen drunk and barking like a dog at a strip club, sexually harassing a female employee at a Christmas party, persuading on-duty deputies to drink beer with him and threatening to fire his chief deputy for refusing to publicly defend him, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday.

More on this.

Default RC

Could this man be the reason Rachel has not been found?

Was he too busy with his own dirty deeds instead of putting more effort into finding Rachel?

I still pray that some day Rachel comes home.

Default :O

What a pig.

Ayeka
    The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    -- Eden Phillpotts

Thumbs up Rachel Cooke's father calls for Maspero to resign

04:49 PM CST on Thursday, November 13, 2003

By Jerry White / KVUE.com

The father of a missing Georgetown woman on Thursday joined the call for Williamson County Sheriff John Maspero to step down.

“It’s very frustrating,” Robert Cooke said. “I’m seeing someone who is supposed to be in charge of my daughter’s case acting like a 20-year-old college student.”

Cooke’s daughter, Rachel Cooke, disappeared the morning of Jan 10, 2002, while jogging in her parents’ Georgetown neighborhood.
    ...snip

“I’ve been frustrated all along,” Cooke said. “I think that they should have actively pursued the case. They should have gone out and looked for leads instead of waiting for the telephone to ring.”
    ...snip

Cooke said he repeatedly urged Maspero to form a task force with Texas Rangers and FBI agents to look into the disapperance.

“He never formed that task force. He wanted to keep it within his own department,” Cooke said. “I think anytime you have an ability to go to additional sources with different backgrounds who have access to different databases, it will help. You do that with any kind of problem. It just helps to bring in people with different experience to help solve something that’s reached a dead end.”

Maspero’s troubles began last month when Georgetown police picked him up while he was walking along the side of the road on a night that he admits he had been drinking and had urinated publicly.

On Wednesday, a lawsuit by Williamson County Attorney Eugene Taylor seeking Maspero’s removal from office outlined other instances of public drunkenness.

The petition is very detailed in its allegations of misconduct, incompetence and drinking on and off duty. It is the result of a month-long task force investigation that included interviews with 125 witnesses.

"There were a number of incidents, there were a substantial number of rumors. I guess the only thing that I was sort of surprised by, I thought we would dispel more than we would prove, but that doesn't look like it was the thing," says Taylor.

The petition claims there were two incidents when Maspero became intoxicated at leadership and budget retreats that were paid for by the county. There are also two allegations of sexual harassment and one allegation of drinking in the sheriff's department while working on the budget.

At one point, according to the suit, Maspero was at a topless bar in Austin and was on his hands and knees, barking like a dog.
    ...snip

Cooke said Thursday that now is the time for him to leave.

“I think Maspero should step down,” Cooke said. “I think it’s the right thing to do for Williamson County and for himself. And I’d like to see Rachel’s case brought back up and re-evaluated.”

http://www.kvue.com/breaking/111303k...jw.d0bb6e.html
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

©

Thumbs up Way to go RC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to kick some booty and get some action...proud of you taking a public stand on the Maspero issue! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
    It's probably too late to get justice for JonBenét. Maybe it always was. But knowing where things went wrong is the first step to not going there again. **-- Alan Prendergast-Dec 21, 2006--**

Default Oh my heavens

RC, that is just shocking and disgusting information. I hope every TV station in your area is aware of this lawsuit and that you will get lots of press in the print and radio media. Your quotes are right on target and I have to wonder how Maspero may have obstructed justice by inaction, if not in other ways. I'd also like to know if he has an alibi.

Maspero's personality doesn't give me the comfort that he's sympathetic with your quest. An argument could be made that he is anti-female, anti-victim, and of the mind that Rachel got what she deserved. If there are a victim's rights organization and/or branch of NOW in your area, you need to make them aware of this hideous person.

Default Maspero Appears in Court

Embattled Williamson County Sheriff John Maspero made a court appearance Thursday, just one day after a lawsuit was filed to remove him from office.

In Georgetown, Maspero was officially served with that lawsuit Thursday afternoon, which means there will be a civil trial...snip

Sheriff Maspero was at Thursday's hearing, which lasted about 30 minutes. Visiting State District Judge James Clawson, who is from Bell County, allowed the petition to be officially served to Maspero. But he set another hearing for next week to address Maspero's suspension and temporary restraining order requests.

Both Maspero and Taylor say they're satisfied with Thursday's decision. Taylor says a trial will proceed.

Meanwhile, Maspero's attorney Ed Walsh says the suspension and temporary restraining order could have been granted Thursday. That hearing is set for next Friday at 9 a.m..

Maspero will complete his alcohol treatment program in a couple of weeks. If the judge doesn't suspend Maspero next week, Maspero is expected to resume his duties as Williamson County Sheriff.

11/13/03

http://www.fox7news.com

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

©

Default Re: Oh my heavens

Originally posted by FedoraX
    RC, that is just shocking and disgusting information. I hope every TV station in your area is aware of this lawsuit and that you will get lots of press in the print and radio media. Your quotes are right on target and I have to wonder how Maspero may have obstructed justice by inaction, if not in other ways. I'd also like to know if he has an alibi.

Maspero's personality doesn't give me the comfort that he's sympathetic with your quest. An argument could be made that he is anti-female, anti-victim, and of the mind that Rachel got what she deserved. If there are a victim's rights organization and/or branch of NOW in your area, you need to make them aware of this hideous person.
    I received a phone call from a major network last night. They saw the article and may have me on a show next week. I'll let everyone know if/when it happens. The 5 local stations are all over Maspero's case. Two interviewed me yesterday.

Your second paragraph hits it right on the nose.

Unhappy Gag

The SO spokeshoney is out covering Maspero's butt. She issued a statement that the FBI and Texas Rangers have been involved in Rachel's case and to me an offer to help that was declined is not the same as being involved. Correct me if I am dis-remembering RC.

©