Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default FBI and Texas Rangers

They had a Texas Ranger on the case the first weekend and an FBI agent part time for about 2 weeks. About a week after Rachel dissappeared the SO had a conference call with FBI profilers. Since then the TX Rangers have been used to interview people outside of Central Texas and the FBI to interview people out of Texas.

This is not what I call being actively part of the case. I want them working with the SO on a task force as an equal partner who contributes ideas to work on. Since the conference call with FBI profilers in Jan. 2002 they have only used the FBI as a remote interviewer.

Default RC

It really is time to demand a task force, and this gives you the perfect opportunity to bring it up. I think the FBI is very limited in how they can help, esp if the SO doesn't take their advice.

I've mentioned this before but... Recently I worked on a case that was stalled for years. There was a strong suspect but no indictment. People in the community got bumper stickers that read "ARREST XXXXX XXXXX'S KILLER" and the city brass was embarrassed into pumping up the volume. Eventually, and although it was a controversial and difficult case, there was a trial and conviction.

Maybe you need a bumper sticker that reads: GEORGETOWN SHERIFF: FIND RACHEL COOKE! - with your website info in small print.

I sure hope you get some answers. This is such a disaster.

Default RC

This just makes me furious! Sounds like the good ole boys system is alive and well there, just like here in AR. Don't give up!

The above is just my opinion, right or wrong, but please leave it at FFJ.

The "Beehive State" It's true. Look it up

You Go RC. I agree with Fedorax. Now is the time to demand a task force.

This pig did not do jack :(:(:(:( in Rachel's case. Not until the TV cameras were rolling.

Do it RC. Bring up all the times you tried to get this sheriff off his a.s.s. to help you.

Remember the reporter in 2002 who claimed the Sheriff was starting a task force? The reporter filed a report saying that on "Monday" the Sheriff would start to form the Rachel Cooke task force. Well for one year I called and called and called and asked when the task force was going to be formed. It wasn't until last spring when I went back to Texas and met with the Sheriff's office ( not the Sheriff himself) that I was told the reporter filed a false report. The Sheriff gave himself a lot of wiggle room because the real story was the department was "looking into" forming a task force. When I tried to contact the reporter I was told that he had "moved on."

It's always about trying to look like doing the right thing when in reality nothing is being done.
    tgrif@xmission.com
    FFJ C/O Tricia Griffith
    6300 N Sage Wood Drive
    Suite H #214
    Park City UT

I am unaware of anyone who's profited from exploiting the Ramsey murder over a longer period of time, with a greater disregard for the principles of accuracy and fairness, than the production team of Mills and Tracey.They truly do inhabit a different moral universe from real journalists. It's the difference between journalism and propaganda.
    Alan Prendergast,reporter for Westword

Default TES Mission for the Missing

Families hope DNA will help bring their loved ones home
    11/17/2003 9:30 AM
    By: Tad Hathaway

For the families and loved ones of missing persons, every day can be a struggle, just ask the father of Rachel Cooke.

"Until you go through this as a parent, you really don't have any idea what kind of nightmare it is," said Robert Cooke.

Robert's 19-year-old daughter went missing over a year-and-a-half ago. Like many other parents whose children have gone missing, his hope fades as time passes.

"It’s very difficult to admit that but I have to be practical --the odds of her still being alive are minuscule," he said.

DNA might help to identify the remains over 100 people at the Harris County Medical Examiner's Office.

Sunday, he and others who gathered at a fund-raiser to benefit search efforts, say they are encouraged by a new state-wide database that takes the DNA of family members and can match it with skeletal remains found from all over the state.
    more, including a video

Post more

More threats from EX-SHERIFF Maspero.

New evidence to be used against Maspero in removal trial
    08:18 AM CST on Friday, November 21, 2003
    By Amanda Lawson / KVUE News

Williamson County Sheriff John Maspero will face new evidence when he's court Friday trying to keep his job.

Maspero's problems became public when he was stopped by police who had gotten a report that the had been urinating in public while drunk. The sheriff's exchange with the officers who stopped him became public and then other accusations of public drunkenness began to surface.

Williamson County Attorney Gene Taylor then sued to remove Maspero from office. They are due in court today. A judge could decide to temporarily remove Maspero until the trial on permanent removal.

On Thursday, KVUE News obtained some new evidence that will be used against the sheriff.

The evidence is a recently recorded phone conversation between Maspero and acting sheriff Richard Elliott. Taylor alleged Maspero threatened to fire employees who didn't publicly support him.

Maspero: Well, did you tell them I threatened to fire you?
    Elliott: You know, John, I'm not going to say that's the word I used. I told them about a conversation me and you had. I'm not supposed to be discussing that, John.
    Maspero: You know you can discuss it. There's no process here. There's no civil process. There is nothing. There is nothing you can't discuss. . ."
    Four minutes later, the conversation's tone escalated.
    Maspero: I'll tell you the same thing I told Gene (Taylor). . .is make sure you kill me.
    Elliott: I'm not going to kill you, John.
    Maspero: Just make sure you do that, Richard.
    Elliott: Don't goddamn be threatening me, I'm tired. . .
    Maspero: . . .and I'm tired of you guys who are supposed to be standing tall turning on me like a bunch of goddamn rabid dogs and won't even talk to me."

The county attorney's office will also present a home video taken in April of what it says was an all-day drinking binge at teh Terra Vista Country Club and continued throughout the evening at a local restaurant.

According to Taylor's lawsuit, the sheriff was "seen having trouble walking in the parking lot."
    Other allegations outlined in Taylor's suit include drinking on duty, sexually harassing an employee and other instances of urinating in public.

After the initial allegations arose, Maspero entered an alcohol treatment center. He could not be reached for comment on this story but is required to be in court today to answer Taylor's accusations.

RC, I hope they hang his a$$ from the highest tree, and someone replaces him who gives a damn about something other than the good ole boys club. His exchanges in that conversation sound like Boss Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard. It is time to get someone in there who cares about upholding justice and can help you with Rachel's case!
    It's probably too late to get justice for JonBenét. Maybe it always was. But knowing where things went wrong is the first step to not going there again. **-- Alan Prendergast-Dec 21, 2006--**

Default Hearing Held Regarding Maspero's Fate

Will he stay or will he go? That's the question facing a visiting judge Friday in Williamson County. It's a hearing to determine if Sheriff John Maspero will be temporary suspended.

Reaction around Williamson County to the Maspero case is mixed. And some people just don't want to talk about it.
    ...snip

It's an inescapable topic of conversation in Williamson County.
    ...snip

While they might not know all the details of the case, people know what they expect from a public official.

"Sounds like pretty lousy activity for somebody in that position," said Pam Hubbard.
    ...snip

"Just because you're an elected public official doesn't give you the right to behave anyway you want to," said Pam Hubbard.
    ...snip

Donna Patton is a little more forgiving:

"Basically, I think everyone deserves a second chance," said Patton, "and if he wasn't driving, he didn't hurt anybody and he's rehabilitated himself, he has ever reason to get that second chance."

But Williamson County is known statewide for its tough-on-crime attitude.

"Yes they do," said Ron Hubbard, "and to come from the head guy to do something like that--we were talking about that on the way over here--you have certain jobs, certain positions of authority, you need to set examples and you just can't be an ordinary Joe."

So there's a certain irony about the sheriff's current situation. And while some people are willing to wait for the court to decide:
    ...snip

Interesting note: most people didn't seem to think that the publicity is bad for the county. One person told us that, since county officials are working to remove Maspero, it shows the county's tough-on-crime attitude doesn't play favorites.

11/21/03

http://www.fox7news.com
    Never let the children, Elders, the sick, or the infirm be exploited.

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Let's bring all our missing and military home safely!

All of my thoughts written here are my constitutionally protected opinion.

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

©

Default New evidence to be used against Maspero in removal hearing

06:38 PM CST on Friday, November 21, 2003
    By Amanda Lawson / KVUE News

Williamson County Sheriff John Maspero testified in his own defense Friday in an effort to keep his job.

A hearing began in which a judge will decide if Maspero will keep his job or be forced to temporarily step down - pending the outcome of a trial.
    ...snip

Friday morning Sheriff Maspero was called to the stand to explain just how intoxicated he was on the night in question.

While not giving a clear answer, Maspero did admit he was drinking margaritas on the night in question.

When he was asked to describe his intoxication level with a number betwenn one and ten, Maspero said he was unable to do so.

Friday morning another videotape was submitted into evidence that the county attorney says shows Maspero leaving a Round Rock restaurant intoxicated.

Mounds of witness statements were be presented as evidence as well. They contain allegations of drinking on the job, sexual harassment other instances of urinating in public.

The judge will hear more witnesses and make a decision on Monday.

It will ultimately be up to a jury to decide if Maspero will permanently keep his job.

A trial date has been set for Jan. 12.

On Thursday, KVUE News obtained some new evidence that will be used against the sheriff.

The evidence is a recently recorded phone conversation between Maspero and acting sheriff Richard Elliott. Taylor alleged Maspero threatened to fire employees who didn't publicly support him.
    ...snip

The county attorney's office will also present a home video taken in April of what it says was an all-day drinking binge at the Terra Vista Country Club and continued throughout the evening at a local restaurant.

According to Taylor's lawsuit, the sheriff was "seen having trouble walking in the parking lot."

After the initial allegations arose, Maspero entered an alcohol treatment center. He could not be reached for comment on this story but is required to be in court today to answer Taylor's accusations.

http://www.kvue.com/breaking/112103k....28c5120d.html

"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

I reject any form of government in which the opinion of the village idiot is given the same weight as the opinion of Aristotle. (author unknown)

©

Wink Re: New evidence to be used against Maspero in removal hearing

It will ultimately be up to a jury to decide if Maspero will permanently keep his job.

A trial date has been set for Jan. 12.

Public official + public drunkenness + "dry" county

Want to take a WAG at the verdict?

Some of the other charges concern me far more however and Maspero needs to take responsibility for all of his actions (and non-actions.)

©

Default Reader's Digest

Not exactly the right thread, I suppose, but it's here, so I'll use it

December's issue of the Reader's Digest has an excellent story about Kristen Modafferi, a young woman who disappeared on June 23, 1997, "Without a Trace," the name of the article. If Kristen had disappeared 23 days earlier than she did, she would have been treated as a minor and things may have been different for her family. The article talks about Kristen's Law, "which provided $1.8 million to the Phoenix-based Center for Missing Adults, which, among other things, is putting together a national registry of missing adults that will serve as a central repository of information accessible to the public, advocacy groups and law enforcement" (p. 94, Matt Birkbeck story).

Kristen's family felt the same frustration with the apathy of law enforcement toward missing young adults that RC and his family have felt since Rachel disappeared "without a trace."

It's a story well worth reading and it brings further understanding of what RC has been through.
    Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry,
    the philosophy which does not laugh,
    and the greatness which does not bow before children.

---Kahlil Gibran---

WY,

Bob and Debbie Modaferri worked hard to get the law passed to have a missing adult database funded. It's still sad that it's less than 1/5 of what is given to the NCMEC. Of course these are both peanuts compared to what we are spending in Iraq.