Sexual Abuse

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Spade, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Spade

Spade Member

The source is the "legal secretary's notes".

In August, the Boulder police department contacted Dr. John McCann, one of the nation’s leading experts on child sexual abuse. McCann had agreed to assist the police department in determining if JonBenet had been a victim of sexual abuse during or before her murder. McCann was sent the autopsy report and photos. According to McCann, examination findings that indicate chronic sexual abuse include the thickness of the rim of the hymen, irregularity of the edge of the hymen, the width or narrowness of the wall of the hymen, and exposure of structures of the vagina normally covered by the hymen. His report stated that there was evidence of prior hymeneal trauma as all of these criteria were seen in the post mortem examination of JonBenet.

There was a three dimensional thickening from inside to outside on the inferior hymeneal rim with a bruise apparent on the external surface of the hymen and a narrowing of the hymeneal rim from the edge of the hymen to where it attaches to the muscular portion of the vaginal openings. At the narrowing area, there appeared to be very little if any hymen present. There was also exposure of the vaginal rugae, a structure of the vagina which is normally covered by an intact hymen. The hymeneal orifice measured one centimeter which is abnormal or unusual for this particular age group and is further evidence of prior sexual abuse with a more recent injury as shown by the bruised area on the inferior hymeneal rim. A generalized increase in redness of the tissues of the vestibule was apparent, and small red flecks of blood were visible around the perineum and the external surface of the genitalia. It was his opinion that the injury appeared to have been caused by a relatively small, very firm object which, due to the area of bruising, had made very forceful contact not only with the hymen, but also with the tissues surrounding the hymen. McCann believed that the object was forcefully jabbed in – not just shoved in. Although the bruised area would indicate something about the size of a finger nail, he did not believe it was a finger, because of the well demarcated edges of the bruise indicating an object much firmer than a finger. McCann was not able to see any fresh tears of the hymen which he thought might be due to the lack of detail in the photographs. It was unclear where the blood on the perineum originated, since there were no lacerations visible in these photos. McCann also noted that in children of this age group the labia, or vaginal lips, remain closed until literally manually separated. In order for there to be an injury to the hymen without injuring the labia, the labia would have to be manually separated before the object was inserted. The examination also indicated that the assault was done while the child was still alive because of the redness in the surrounding tissue and blood in the area.

McCann stated that this injury would have been very painful
    because the area of the injury as indicated by the bruise was at the base of the hymen were most of the nerve endings are located. Such an injury would have caused a six year old child to scream or yell. The doctor also stated that he assumed the object did not have jagged edges because there were no evidence of tears in the bruised area.

McCann also noted that there appeared to be a bruise on the inner right thigh which he though might represent a thumb imprint from forcing the legs apart.

Dr. McCann explained the term "chronic abuse" meant only that it was "repeated", but that the number of incidents could not be determined. In the case of JonBenet, the doctor could only say that there was evidence of “prior abuse". The examination results were evidence that there was at least one prior penetration of the vagina through the hymeneal membrane. The change in the hymeneal structure is due to healing from a prior penetration. However, it was not possible to determine the number of incidents nor over what period of time. Because the prior injury had healed, any other incidents of abuse probably were more than 10 days prior.

In discussing perpetrators of sexual abuse on children, McCann stated that the majority of children this age are molested by someone with whom they have close contact most commonly family members. He explained that if the molester is a stranger or someone else with whom the child is not close, the child will usually tell someone or psychological problems appear which create behavior changes observed by their parents. Common symptoms would be eating disorders, nightmares or a variety of behaviors indicating that something is bothering them. Commencement or increased bedwetting is also commonly seen in sexually abused children. When asked about JonBenet's sexualized behavior during her pageant performances, McCann said that this was not necessarily a sign of abuse, since this was taught behavior for the pageants. Also, with children's exposure to sexually explicit television programs, sexualized behavior is no longer considered to be an indication of possible sexual abuse.

Dr. Andrew Sirotnack from Children’s Hospital in Denver was also asked to review the medical findings and autopsy photographs. He confirmed McCann's determination of acute vaginal trauma during the assault on JonBenet, but He had not yet concluded that there was chronic abuse. Sirotnack had examined over 2,500 abused children during his career at Children's Hospital and had testified in approximately 50 - 100 criminal trials regarding sexual abuse on children.

In September 1997, the police department held a meeting with McCann and three other child sexual abuse experts to go over their opinions based on their review of the autopsy results. Dr. Virginia Rau of Dade County, Florida stated that she observed fresh hymeneal trauma on JonBenet and chronic inflammation that was not related to any urination issues. Dr. Rau said, “In my heart, this is chronic abuse,†but feared that a defense argument would be made that this was only evidence of masturbation.

Also agreeing with the findings of both McCann and Rau was Dr. Jim Monteleone of St. Louis. Dr. Richard Krugman, Dean of the University of Colorado Medical School, an expert first contacted for assistance in the Ramsey case by the D.A.’s office, was the most adamant supporter of the finding of chronic sexual abuse. He felt that in considering the past and present injuries to the hymen that the bedwetting/soiling took on enormous significance. He believed that this homicide was an indecent of “toilet rage†and subsequent cover up. He told the group of experts and detectives about another Colorado case where both parents had been at home and both were charged. “The JonBenet case is a text book example of toileting abuse rage," Krugman stated.

All of the experts agreed that there was no way any of the recent or chronic abuse damage to the genitalia of the child was the result of masturbation.

2. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Quote: "The source is the "legal secretary's notes".

Whose legal secretary, Spade?

Quote: ""The JonBenet case is a text book example of toileting abuse rage," Krugman stated."

Ok, NOW I understand where ST got his theory. HENCE, another mythical defense disspelled when the Rs claim ST's lack of homicide experience led to an uneducated theory. Not that I necessarily agree with it….

3. Spade

Spade Member

Source

The source of this material is a legal secretary who was employed by a member of the BPD dream team. She read the reports of the BPD detectives, wrote it up, gave it to her nephew in Oregon who in turn sold it to 2 tabloid papers for $35,000 each (without either paper knowing they had been double dealt). She is currently employed by a prominent Denver defense attorney.

4. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Spade, I noticed the disclaimer she put into the notes, but did this legal secretary provide a sworn statement or affidavit re verity with her notes to the nephew prior to their sale to the tabs do you know? I'm well known for being anal about detail.....

5. Spade

Spade Member

$35,000

Before any of the tabs will shell out $35,000 they will do several cross checks of the info. The 1st Responder report (Officer French's report) had been in the hands of the tabs since early 1997 and verified much of what was said in "The Morning" section of her notes. I was told that a report from the Boulder Department of Social Services was used to verify the section about sexual abuse.

Many of the leaks the ABK blame on Steve Thomas came from these notes

6. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

DejaNu

Yes, I agree with you about the idea of where ST got his theory. This makes perfect sense. That last statement in the report almost hit me between the eyes.

I'm not sure either if it THE reason for the murder. I still cling to my half baked theory that John was caught diddling that child by Patsy and she in anger swung the flashlight at him and missed and struck JonBenet instead. If that is the scenerio that would explain the aloofness of John towards Patsy that morning and his prolonged absense fromt he house of over an hour to get the mail. I thought he walked out to the front yard where a mailbox was probably posted. I didn't realize he physically left the house and yard. I wonder why the cops let him leave? He could have taken all sorts of things with him to dispose of then. Just saying.

7. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

Spade

Why does jameson and mame say you are fudging these reports if you can prove this?

I just don't get why they keep saying all this is "misinformation". (Hate that word btw)

Same goes with the 911 tape, if you have this why do they keep denying it?

More power to you and keep the info coming.

Thanks.

8. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Spade, see the latest posts at CS. Verity is crucial, but if the tabs confirmed this info prior to publication and have it well documented, it's cool. I do not feel you are at risk in posting this stuff whatsoever from any angle.

Zoomama, I myself have always questioned why JR was allowed to leave the home by BPD that day and where he actually went. And, according to these transcripts, the BPD directed that all calls in/out of the home that day be via JR's and Fernie's cell phones, yet it took months to get those very same Ramsey cell records only to discover they'd been altered. Who had the power to get a cell service provider to alter call records? Wonder if they ever tried to get Fernie's cell records and what they disclosed, if anything. Wonder if anyone from the cell service provider was questioned with regard to those records? It is my suspicion that JR left the residence to arrange representation with Haddon via Bynum. He would have needed to discuss the situation in detail with Haddon and clearly didn't want BPD to overhear those details. Why if none of the Rs were "good for it?" Was JR directed to leave the residence to speak with Haddon by Bynum? Whose idea was it that PR and Burke should have separate lawyers?

Under recent changes to lawyer's ethics regarding attorney-client privilege with respect to criminal acts, attorneys could now be subject to court order to disclose a client's criminal confessions/intents. Wouldn't it be interesting to know what Haddon et al knows?

9. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

my impression is

that JR didn't really leave the house during that period. The mail entered the house through a slot in/near the front door. ( remember the burning papers inserted through the mail slot?)
    I think when he said he was checking the mail it was assumed by Linda Arndt that he was going outside to a mail box but later she learned about the mail slot and knew she had JR slip through her fingers for alot longer than she should have. Not that it was all her fault - she shouldn't have been left alone with the houseful of people and for the length of time she was left with them.

10. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

So then, Texan, where do you think JR disappeared to? Perhaps the basement????? Or upstairs? In either location, it was far enough away from Arndt to discuss details with an attorney....or maybe he was up to something even more sinister???

11. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

well

he later told the police that he did go to the basement during that time. Plenty of time to take care of unfinished cover-up or at least to discover her body if he didn't already know where it was.

12. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

That's right, Texan. Linda Arndt said she was wrong about JR going to get mail outside the house--but he did disappear for a good while. JR latched onto this minor incorrect detail and brayed on and on about it as proof of BPD incompetence for years.

13. WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf Member

I remember there was something in PMPT (paperback) mentioning John being in the basement, and that releasing (telling) what he was doing down there could jeopardize the investigation (or something to that effect). I'll see if I can find my copy of PMPT and find the page number.

14. AK

AK Member

Sexual strangulation

There's a lot more attention being paid to the topic of sexual strangulation these days. In fact just last week a seminar was held for professionals from all over the nation. The Ramsey case was mentioned.

15. Elle

Elle Member

John Ramsey's vanishing act (?)

John Ramsey vanishing for such a long period of time has always puzzled me.

On page 156-157 Steve Thomas "JonBenét" (paperback) he talks about a witness stepping forward, breaking his silence and John Ramsey's story about the timing of the discovery of JonBenét's body.

Mélinda Ramsey's boyfriend, Stewart Long recounted in a telephone interview his rush to reach Colorado with her and brother John Andrew. Stewart said John Ramsey sr. climbed into a van with him and John Andrew and told them that JonBenét was with Beth now - his first daughter who was killed in a car crash. Both father and son broke down in tears as John Ramsey described how he had found the body around 11:00 am that morning.

Steve Thomas almost lets the phone drop. He asks Long if he was assuming Mountain or Eastern time(?). Mountain time he said. Thomas was blown away. He had just found a credible witness who heard John Ramsey say he had found the body two hours earlier than the detectives previously believed.

This time coincided with the time John Ramsey vanished from the sight of detective Arndt, who described a marked change in his behaviour; silent, brooding and nervous.

Steve states that under these circumstances any investigator
    would have to consider the possibility that John Ramsey might have found the body on his private walk through his home, and not when he and Fleet White went to the basement a few hours later.

I have discussed this so many times on CN2000, and I haven't been able to find out any more about this part of the case. Why can't we find out more about John Ramsey and his vanishing act?
    Could John Ramsey have found the body and knowing the police had already scoured the basement, put JB's body in the windowless room/winecellar knowing that the wooden latch locked from the outside dictated no one was in there?

Fleet White couldn't remember if he slid the wooden latch back over the door to the above room when he opened it shortly after 6:00 am that same morning, 26 December, 1996.

From Spade's thread "Morning"

Soon the only police official remaining was Detective Arndt, along with John and Patsy and the family friends. T hen even John left to pick up the family's mail, and was gone approximately an hour and 20 minutes. When John returned Detective Arndt noted that he sat in the kitchen and opened the mail. John still remained in a room by himself not making contact with Patsy or any of the friends who stayed to console the family.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice