Patsy Ramsey's Cancer Story in the News

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/healthscience/2001789745_firstmarathon13.html

My first marathon: Battle with ovarian cancer strengthens woman's will

By Sherry Stripling
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Bursting from her front door with an easy, strong stride, Abbe Jacobson has earned a view of what's important in life that's as crisp and clear as the day.
    A lifelong nonrunner, she's training for her first marathon, which is less than three weeks away. It's something she never would have attempted before surviving ovarian cancer. She thinks of that every time she runs.

"I can do this. I can do this."

That's what she told herself when she heard that though ovarian cancer is often deadly, it can be highly curable, if caught in time. Hers was found early. Her aggressive, difficult treatment ended 18 months ago.

There was a time when Jacobson, 36, would "cry and moan" to her husband, Curtis Kopf, 38, if they tried to run three miles together. Earlier this month, she ran 21 miles with him. As she did, the scene of being diagnosed came back to her. She told herself again, after hitting the wall at 20 miles: "I can do this."

Do you have an upcoming "first?"

We hope these everyday moments — first date, first day in the service or any other appropriate event readers invite us along to share — will remind us of what's important in life, and how much we have in common. Please send ideas to talktous@seattletimes.com or write to "Talk to us," care of Northwest Life, P.O. Box 1845, Seattle, WA 98111.

Thap. Thap. Thap. Jacobson's feet hit the ground lightly as she heads down the hill from her house toward Magnolia Bluff, her trusty year-old golden retriever, Rudy, by her side.

Where once she considered herself almost pessimistic about life, now she's full-bore optimist. Where once she would have wanted her kids, Sam, 7, and Ellie, 4-1/2, to get into the best schools, now all she wants is for them to be happy.

"I really, truly want them to just feel joy," said Jacobson, "and to weather the ups and downs as gracefully as they can."

The white crests of the Olympic Mountains rise in choppy outline behind her as she runs past Magnolia viewpoints. A small tug pulls a big load across Elliott Bay.

Jacobson pushed hard working for newspapers on the East Coast and then to get her master's degree in public policy and administration from Columbia University.

PHOTO COURTESY OF ABBE JACOBSON
    Abbe Jacobson in a family photo taken during her chemotherapy for ovarian cancer.

By her early 30s, she didn't feel well. She exercised. She ate right. With two small kids and a husband that she loved, she had everything to live for. But she was tired and dizzy and her right ovary ached and felt tender to the touch.

She sensed she had cancer and told her doctor so. Her doctor felt she was depressed.

Then surgery to remove a cyst revealed she had clear cell carcinoma, which has rapid growth and aggressive metastasis, but was contained inside her ovary.

She underwent a full hysterectomy, and biopsies showed she had Stage I ovarian cancer. After years of frustration, she felt almost a sense of relief.

"I remember taking a breath for the first time when I woke up and it was like I was breathing for the first time," said Jacobson. "I know from now on I will always trust myself."

Ovarian cancer is usually caught too late. There are no reliable tests, and the symptoms are subtle.

Of a group of about 70 women being treated in her oncologist's practice, Jacobson says she was one of only three who were in Stage I, all caught almost by accident.

Search for inspiration

This disease could use a good champion.

KEN LAMBERT / THE SEATTLE TIMES
    Rudy the golden retriever is Abbe Jacobson's running partner as she trains for the Seattle Marathon, scheduled for Nov. 30. She was inspired by the words of fellow cancer survivor Lance Armstrong: "Pain is temporary, quitting is forever."

Jacobson hardly huffs as she makes the turn of her out and back run. She was an All-American swimmer in college, but she considers herself to be in the best physical condition of her life.

In the weeks following her diagnosis in January 2002, she searched everywhere to find inspirational stories of ovarian cancer survivors. The closest she could come was Patsy Ramsey, mother of slain child beauty queen JonBenet, who was cancer-free for eight years after having Stage IV ovarian cancer.

Jacobson sought support from breast-cancer survivors. She devoured two books by cycling champion Lance Armstrong, who survived testicular cancer. She read adventure books about people who survived outdoor extremes.

*snip*
    ```````````````````````````````````````````
    I hope Patsy Ramsey reads this article and reaches out to this woman because it seems Patsy is truly the only type of survivor of her kind.

Patsy had stage IV ovarian cancer. Then the stage IV ovarian cancer spread to her liver according to published reports. Mind you this is not liver cancer which is bad enough. No it was worse. Patsy's stage IV ovarian cancer had returned and metastasized to her liver. I believe the stage IV cancer has come back twice since her original diagnosis.

I know Patsy has spoken about her faith in God and how it helped heal her but I hope she will contact this woman and tell her what medical treatment she received. Patsy's treatment must have been incredible.

I have done a bit of searching trying to find people who had the type of cancer Patsy has and have survived as long as she has.

I can't find anyone that comes close to surviving like Patsy Ramsey.

Let's hope and pray that Abbe Jacobson survives to live a long and healthy life. Perhaps with Patsy Ramseys help she will.

2. Little

Little Member

Very graciously put Tricia. I couldn't agree with you more than to think that ones who have very publicly told of their great tragedies and their great triumphs over adversities might find it in their hearts to reach out to the Abbe Jacobsons of the world.
    Little

3. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Patsy's Cancer

You make some very valid points here, Tricia.

As you know, my sister was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer
    on September 19th, this year. She died on October 19th. We all prayed for the miracle that was not to be granted.

Patsy, on the other hand, has been spared from cancer death not once but TWICE.

You would think that just out of sheer gratitude for these miracles, she would be doing some sort of worthwhile work for those less fortunate. At the very least, she could turn the JonBenet Foundation into a viable, workable organization. She and John could appear in the forefront of searches and investigations of other kidnapped children. They could come forth and offer their expertise and some foundation moneys, the way Marc Klass and others have done.

Instead, John goes around whining at Christian dinners about how unfair life has been to him, and how those "creatures", "animals", the press have stalked him and wronged him.

Patsy, instead of reaching out to other mothers affected by crimes against their children, goes around buying and selling and renovating mansions.

There's no justice in this life. But someday, John and Patsy have to face the Supreme Judge, and they won't have Lin Wood or a phalanx of smarmy lawyers like Haddon at their side when that day comes. Judgment Day!

4. Ilene-Sue

Ilene-Sue Member

Well, I wish Patsy or her physicians would let the world know how she recovers from metastisized liver cancer.

Very few, if any cancer treatment centers would say this is even possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice