Fleet and Priscilla White Letter to the Editor Boulder Daily Camera.

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Boulder Daily Camera Nov. 19th 2003
    http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/letters_to_editor/article/0,1713,BDC_2491_2438784,00.html

You're irresponsible plus uninformed

We have read the Camera's recent articles on Tanner Dowler and jury selection for the trial of Tanner's father, Joseph Dowler. By publishing those articles, the Camera is once again exhibiting poor citizenship and its hostility to the best interests of a fair and efficient criminal justice system.

Under the past leadership of Colleen Conant and Barrie Hartman, the Camera's biased, irresponsible and selective reporting of the JonBenet Ramsey homicide investigation and related matters was antithetical to the most basic standards of journalism, civility and public service. In 2001, the Camera's reporting of the Sonny Lee rape trial on the eve of jury selection drew sharp criticism of Boulder District Judge Carol Glowinsky, who cited the prejudicial effect of the Camera's reporting as the cause for granting Lee's motion for a change of venue. Now, the Camera is needlessly producing articles that clearly endanger the fair trial of Joseph Dowler, including invasive reporting of jury selection. Incredibly, after creating the very publicity that now endangers Dowler's trial, the Camera today (Nov. 13) is asking it readers: "Can a defendant whose name is splashed across the front page get a fair trial? . . . Some argue that the Fifth Amendment right to a fair trial is denied when the press, protected by the First Amendment, publishes stories that may unduly influence the jury pool."

If the E. W. Scripps Company intends for Gregory Anderson and Sue Deans to stay on at the Camera and oversee the enormously important task of reporting on crime and the courts, it is essential that they have a thorough understanding of the Sixth Amendment right of an accused to a fair and speedy trial. It is clear that they currently lack such understanding, and today's article indicates they don't even know which amendment guarantees Mr. Dowler's right to a fair trial.

FLEET and PRISCILLA WHITE, Boulder

2. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Not that

Fleet has any reason to be upset with the Boulder Camera or anything.

While I agree with the Whites' premise that biased reporting is antithetical to promoting a fair trial for defendants, I wish he wouldn't be so selective in his criticism, since the Camera isn't the only newspaper that does it. It's just the only newspaper that Fleet happens to have a grudge against.

That isn't a criticism of FW. It's just an observation of an obvious situation, and I wish he'd cut it out. He's not scoring any points from writing these kinds of letters, IMO, just showing his animus toward the Camera.

That poor defenseless baby, Tanner, suffered immensely in his short life on this earth. Whoever did it deserves the worst kind of punishment.

3. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

WY I can't speak for Fleet White but I think in this case the BDC was the only paper reporting the story to this extent. I looked around a bit and did not see any in-depth look into the jurors while the trial was going on being reported by others.

The BDC is under new leadership thank goodness. After Barrie Hartman (he's the guy who asked Alex Hunter's PERMISSION to go after the BPD in the Krebs farce) and Colleen Conant I would hope the new leadership would be sensitive to the mistakes of the past and try not to repeat them.

Yes perhaps it does seem like it's always directed at the BDC but it was the BDC that did all the dirty work to the Whites in 2000 on up. The Whites must be sensitive to the BDC and can obviously see that the same recklessness that happened in their case is starting to appear again.

I have been thinking about this for a long time and I would like you all to comment please.

Is there anyone else in this case who continues to try and get to the truth? Despite all the public ridicule? NO...Just the Whites.

What have John and Patsy done lately to find their daughters killer? Nothing. No in fact they have taken down their website where people could go with clues and information.

Their "Charity" is a joke even though they still talk like it's active.

The Ramseys haven't done jack :(:(:(:( about finding their daughters killer.

Fleet and Priscilla White on the other hand have worked endlessly to show the powers that be the truth about the Boulder District Attorneys office, the "good old boys" network and so on.

The Whites are one of the last hopes we have of getting to the truth. I bet they don't ever throw their hands up and say, "FORGET IT." No the Whites seem to care about their community and what has happened to it since Dec. 26th 1996.

Someday, somewhere, there will be a judge, a person with power, who will finally see that a full independant investigation needs to done. In all aspects of the case. I bet the Whites will be the ones who will make this happen.

Tricia

4. imon128

imon128 Banned

I really feel so sorry for Fleet and Priscilla. The R's drug them into this mess with Patsy's frantic 'help' call and the Whites' lives have never been the same. What a kick in the pants. I'm glad they work for justice for JB...that's more than JB's parents seem to be doing.

5. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

I agree with

everything both of you have said. I too believe the Whites have been treated abominably, and I do not blame them one bit for being bitter toward the news media that did them so much harm. I just wonder if personal animus has more to do with it than the actual subject matter of the letter does. That does not mean I think he is not justified in his feelings. I do think he has every justification in the world to go after anyone who has trashed him. I'm not saying this well, I guess.

Fleet's point is well-taken, although I'm not sure I agree wholely with him on this issue. I think some people may have a problem sorting out what is true concern on Fleet's part and how much of it stems from Fleet's feelings toward the Camera. Kabish? Or is that Cabbage?

So, it's not that I think Fleet doesn't have cause to feel the way he does, it's just that somehow I think it diminishes one to gripe about every case that comes along. Pick a cause and stay with it -leave all these sideshows alone.

White should be going after the people who damaged him - all of them. Maybe if the new Tracey crock starring Nancy Jo Krebs comes out, White will focus his attention on that.

6. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Pure Insanity

After three years of hurling scandelous accusations and stalking Fleet White, the Stalker is oblivious as to the results of her evilness.

On Nancy's credibility.......

"I suspect Fleet White's psychological profile is far more twisted than hers. His bizarre behavior cannot be accounted for. He has grown more and more paranoid and strange. AND, if you take the time to study his emotional and legal actions since this murder, I think you'll find he has done little to find justice in this case. As someone noted earlier, he is a man who is watching out for himself...and in my opinion he's hiding something." SCAB

RR

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice