More Keenan/Colorado U

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Watching You, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/buffzone_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2448_2631345,00.html

Keenan seeks depositions from civil lawsuit
    Testimony would be checked for evidence into rape allegation

By Camera Staff and wire
    February 5, 2004

Boulder County District Attorney Mary Keenan seeks to review lawsuit testimony for new evidence into a woman's allegation that she was raped at a 2001 party for University of Colorado football players and recruits.

Keenan requested copies of depositions given in a lawsuit filed by Lisa Simpson, who alleges she was assaulted while drunk at the off-campus party, Dec. 7, 2001.

Simpson is one of three women who claim they were raped in connection with the party and are suing CU claiming it discriminated against them by fostering an atmosphere in which such attacks could occur.

Reviewing depositions in a civil lawsuit for evidence in a criminal case is routine, Keenan said.

"We would not be doing our duty if we didn't," she said, adding that she doesn't know whether any useful information will be found.

Her request for depositions comes amid a weeklong uproar caused by her allegation that CU's football program didn't stop sex from being used to entice promising high school players despite her warning to CU officials after similar rape allegations surfaced in 1997.

University officials deny Keenan's assertions about sex being used as a recruiting tool and plan to create a panel to investigate after Gov. Bill Owens and state lawmakers demanded an accounting.

Keenan's office never filed charges over Simpson's rape allegations because of difficulties identifying the men involved.

Law enforcement's investigation, however, has never been officially closed. There is a 10-year statute of limitations on rape cases.

Keenan never publicly cleared some of the players and recruits at the party — despite requests to do so in 2002 — because new evidence could surface in the future, she said.

There is precedent for that happening, she says.

Depositions in a wrongful death lawsuit over a 1995 homicide unearthed evidence that prompted a manslaughter guilty plea by Robert Michael Grainger almost three years after his wife's death in their Boulder home.

2. Watching You

Well, gee

I wonder if Keenan reviewed any of the civil case depositions in the Ramsey criminal case.

Gee, that didn't seem to bother anyone in the DA's office when they were clearing certain people at the request of the Ramseys.

3. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

How does one foster an environment where these attacks could happen? Gee and the whole time I thought an attack could happen anywhere. And how is this "discrimination?" So did CU force these women to go to the party, and force them at gunpoint to get drunk? Why are they suing CU and not the rapists?

Lawsuits like this are bankrupting this country.

4. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Once again Keenan is letting others do her work. She is either incompetent or just lazy.

She is reviewing the depo's in the civil case to see if something can be used in a criminal prosecution.

Why doesn't Mary do her own work? Convene a Grand Jury and get all the info you need.

I swear I keep thinking I am going to get a message that says,

"Mary Keenan Boulder D.A....Nah not really. We were just kidding"

5. Watching You

I suspect

Mary is sweating bullets, Tricia. She's stuck her neck out, now she's scurrying to try to find something to back her up. She's going to need everything she can get, because I think she's promised more than she is going to be able to deliver.

Like BobC said, why are these alleged victims suing the university? Why aren't they going after the young men who allegedly raped them? Did the university force them to attend these parties? Did the university rape them?

They can't prove their rape cases, so they are going after the university. Didn't at least some of these alleged rapes happen off-campus? How on earth would the university be responsible for something that happened off campus?

6. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Remember there are two totally seperate charges being made by Keenan.

1- 2 young women were raped by athletes during a party at CU.

2- CU faculty and administrators conspired to attract recruits by offering up "sex parties."

Two very seperate issues.

I agree WY. I think Keenan is scrambling now. Not in regards to the rape charges but in regards to her wild claims of sex and recruiting.

I think the one of the alleged victims of the rape is frustrated by Keenan's lack of courage to give her her day in court. Hence the lawsuits. Remember a lawsuit is like cooking pasta. You throw it at the wall to see what will stick.

7. BobC

Nope

THREE charges, Tricia. The third is that Keenan decided to go to the media and accuse a Boulder cop of helping to tip off the rapists as they plied their trade. That is a very serious, ugly charge which seems to be vehemently denied. If she can shoot her mouth off like that she can show the evidence. I mean that's fair right? This reminds me of when that office said, on the record, the BPD never looked at anybody else in the Ramsey case, when in reality they had interviewed literally hundreds of people.

8. Watching You

I agree, Tricia

Keenan has admitted she can't prove the rape charges and has indicted no one on rape charges.

It's going to be interesting to watch her try to prove her second charge that the university was involved in using sex to recruit athletes.

To me, Keenan's pis$ed because she couldn't cow the university officials, so this is her way of retaliating against them. It's going to be her way or no way She's been a advocate for rape victims, and that's a good thing, but not when it overrides her need as DA to prosecute cases based on their merit, not on her personal beliefs.

9. BobC

If that cop was doing that, he should be terminated. But that didn't happen. They sure didn't hesitate to sic investigators on McSanta or several others in the Ramsey case--so why not hire a detective to flush out a bad cop?

10. Watching You

It must be something

in the water in Boulder, BobC. This whole thing reminds me of the mamethugs and their crusade against FW. Cheap shots by idiots and now an incompetent DA. Also sort of like when Hunter made his public statements against certain people based on his own animosity toward them.

11. BobC

Yep. It was a cheap shot. That cop should sue her.

12. Watching You

Keenan going all out

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/buffzone_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2448_2634521,00.html

Keenan revisits case
    DA getting help to look at lawsuit testimony

By Christine Reid, Camera Staff Writer
    February 6, 2004

Boulder County District Attorney Mary Keenan announced Thursday she is pulling investigators from three police agencies and her own office to pick through volumes of sworn civil suit testimony in search of new evidence in the alleged rape of a woman by University of Colorado football recruits.

Lisa Simpson filed suit against the school, claiming it fosters an environment that led to her rape at a December 2001 party.

Authorities did not file criminal sex assault charges because not enough evidence existed.

But the release of dozens of depositions from Simpson's case over the past two weeks may reveal new information.

Prosecutors have 10 years to charge someone with sexual assault.

A detective from CU police, one from Boulder police and one from the Boulder County Sheriff's Office will help the District Attorney's Office in the newly revitalized investigation, county spokesman Jim Burrus said.

Boulder County Sheriff Joe Pelle, whose agency was not a part of the initial investigation, said he is helping at the request of Keenan.

"The question is, is there any new evidence that they were not aware of at the time," Pelle said.

Earlier this week, Keenan asked for copies of all the depositions for review.

Two other women have come forward claiming they too were raped in connection with the party and are suing CU. More depositions are expected in their cases.

Whatever happened to the JonBenet Ramsey case? It seems that Keenan's intense need to prove her accusations against CU is consuming her. Just another example of how Keenan states HER theory first and then tries to prove HER theory afterward, just as she's done in the Ramsey case. I think it's going to bite her in her big butt this time.

13. BobC

oh I so want to say something,

14. Watching You

The platform's all yours, Bob

go for it.

15. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Say it, Bob.

Just spit it out.

BTW - Leave it to Jann Scott to put up a scathing report on his latest journal entry. Definitely Not for the Weak of heart, stomach or mind. I doubt that the Anti-FFJer's will love Jann.........as some do......after this Sound-Off by Scott.

Let's Get Ready to Rumble..........
    RR

16. BobC

Well from what I have heard for years from people around Keenan, is that she felt like the mean male police were picking on Patsy because she is a woman. Hence the intruder theory because it has to be a man, not a woman, who did the killing. From the little I've seen of her politics, I believe it. Woman as victim.

Repeat after me: it's not 1968 anymore.

I'm sure Keenan is still burning the occasional sacrificial bra. Men are such pigs.

17. Watching You

Activists

Activists have no business in politics, BobC. This is what happens when an activist takes office. Activist = obsession.

18. Watching You

RR

got a link?

19. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

20. Watching You

Ouch

whew, he really let it all hang out, didn't he? Well, he has something to say about both sides, actually, saying the CU prez needs to go, and, oh mama, what he said about the alleged rape victim.

Hold on to your hats. It's going to get interesting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice